Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are your thoughts of monsters under the bed?

The Sims 4 has added an arguably controversial feature which is the Monsters under the bed. As the name implies, a Child Sim who sleeps on the bed may encounter a monster under the bed who can wake up children which is fine but a Child wakes up, the Sim will attempt to wake up other Sims in the Household which can really aggravating in the beginning of the game since you'll likely have cheap objects, Sims without any need reducing Traits (such as Never Weary), and no Sim with the Book of Life or ability to create the Need Fixer Serum. While it's bad enough on Windows/macOS, it's going to add frustration to Simmers who decide to play TS4 on PS4/Xbox One if that version will retain the Monster under the bed feature.

The only way to avoid them is either get a double bed (which is counter intuitive if you only have one child, the room has limited space, or if two of your children Sims aren't Friends) or place the Coolala, The Defender Wall Light in the room which can be problematic if you want a different light instead. Needless to say, some mods were created to specifically disable this.

What are your thoughts of this feature? How frustrating do you think it can be?
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer

Comments

• LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    I like it, I like some challenge in my game. If I can't have a full night sleep sometimes, my sims won't either >:) no one said it's easy being a parent. Also, I like the creepy music.
  • PapayaPancakePapayaPancake Posts: 867 Member
    I think console gamers will come across a lot of other annoying things that could be fixed on PC with mods. Unless EA allows mods on console. :D
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    That is true. No mods on the console versions.

That being said, if you don’t want monsters just give them a nightlight. I’m not understanding why that wouldn’t just solve the problem.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I don't find it controversial or problematic at all lol
    it's easy enough to just stick the light on the wall
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    I had no idea that monsters under the bed were a controversial thing. In any case I get them occasionally they don't impact my game that hugely. As for console sims I can't say, I only play pc games.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • cynclacyncla Posts: 1,117 Member
    Way back when the night light didn't work proper ( yes, I know it got fixed) I just started giving my kids bigger beds. No problem - never went back.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Ive never even had a monster come out. How do you trigger it? Maybe I just dont play enough with kids.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    There is a night light that came with Parenthood Game Pack that stops monster for good. I use that for all the kids rooms to avoid this feature.
    The feature is nice but kinda annoying so I'm glad that we have items that stop the monster.
    I hope that Parenthood comes for console too soon so they can do the same.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I would like it if it was random and not every single bloody night.

As is, I just modded so it's no longer a thing in my game. Good riddance.
  • SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    The night light works well enough.

But yes, while I think it can be a fun feature, it happens way too often and I've never had a child successfully talk to it. So yeah, I just use the night light because I would just rather not deal with it anymore.
  • Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I find the monsters under the bed extremely annoying!. Sometimes that night light doesn't even work even though all my sim children have it in their rooms.
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    You yeed to place the lamp right next to the bed.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I heard that it's a glitch when they happen so often so if they fix it then I wouldn't mind it.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    It's amusing the first few times.
    But it's too frequent.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    edited November 2017
    I hardly ever get it, I guess it's random or maybe its because I use the light.

Edit for clarity:

The times I have gotten it were when I forgot to place the light and even then it wasn't often. The light needs to be lighting the bed area.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    I’ll be glad when I can finally scale down that nightlight to the size of a regular plugin nightlight.
    Marktn wrote: »
    I’ll be glad when I can finally scale down that nightlight to the size of a regular plugin nightlight.

right!?

I've been hiding it behind nightstands lol
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
  • MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    ladybreid wrote: »
    Marktn wrote: »

right!?

I've been hiding it behind nightstands lol

I tucked it in a corner close to the floor and usually put a piece of furniture or a teddy bear or playhouse next to it to hide it. Of course now I just use MCCC and don’t allow the monster under the bed anymore.
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    I didn't mind it until the light stopped working :/

I think it was a cute little addition, really appreciate them trying to add more depth to the child lifestage but unfortunately, this feature has become very buggy and no attempt at fixing it was made. If the frequency of it happening wouldn't be so high we would enjoy it much more I think... Not every child should be going through this, children are different. When you have every single child in your game go through the monster phase it gets old very fast.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    I only ever play PC games and don't even own an console, so I can't answer your question, fully. I can say that I do like the idea of the monster, but if I find it too disruptive, I will purchase that special wall lamp. In fact, oftentimes a parent will have that as a whim. Me? I didn't keep forty people under my bed that would grab me by the ankle and pull me under with them, should I venture out of bed before morning. (Unlike a good friend of mine, who was actually terrified of these mythological people.) I just kept a vicious black bear in my closet … No, seriously. I had a nightmare about it. Mom was right there to comfort me, and we opened the closet doors and poked around in there for a bit. Talked about the dream. In the end, we discovered the bear image on the little hand-held pinball game had inspired the nightmare. I was probably around five years old, as I don't recall my little sister being around, yet. I'm a grandmother, now, married nearly 44 years, so you can see how long such things can last in the mind. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited November 2017
    The Sims 4 has added an arguably controversial feature which is the Monsters under the bed. As the name implies, a Child Sim who sleeps on the bed may encounter a monster under the bed who can wake up children which is fine but a Child wakes up, the Sim will attempt to wake up other Sims in the Household which can really aggravating in the beginning of the game since you'll likely have cheap objects, Sims without any need reducing Traits (such as Never Weary), and no Sim with the Book of Life or ability to create the Need Fixer Serum. While it's bad enough on Windows/macOS, it's going to add frustration to Simmers who decide to play TS4 on PS4/Xbox One if that version will retain the Monster under the bed feature.

The only way to avoid them is either get a double bed (which is counter intuitive if you only have one child, the room has limited space, or if two of your children Sims aren't Friends) or place the Coolala, The Defender Wall Light in the room which can be problematic if you want a different light instead. Needless to say, some mods were created to specifically disable this.

What are your thoughts of this feature? How frustrating do you think it can be?

There are plenty of things that the console community are already upset about for the port. Not sure how they will react to the monster under the bed frequency. That light does not even work in most cases for me, so I had looked for a mod.
    Post edited by NorthDakotaGamer on
  • PolluxSimsPolluxSims Posts: 318 Member
    > @Busufu said:
    > You yeed to place the lamp right next to the bed.

And you also need one for each kid's bed in the room, not just one light overall.
    Read my Sawyer Legacy Simlit on Wordpress
    - Origin ID: PolluxSims -
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    I love it but its too frequent. I'd rather see the monster come so often if the child(ren) have actually become friends with it. I don't have parenthood but I do have that koala nightlight and I have it in all of the kids rooms so far. Right now I haven't had time to fully explore the monster under the bed just yet. Always been meaning to get to it though because I really like this feature.

What I don't like, is that EVERY SINGLE KID WAKES UP SHOUTING AND BREATHING HARD LIKE FROM A NIGHTMARE.

Yes. Sorry for shouting but that should relay my exaspiration over this. Every single morning, regardless of which kid it is, in what household I play in, how late or early they wake up, even if no monster ever appeared (nightlight ftw). As an example. I have 3 kids now, sleeping in one room the yesterday when I woke them up for school, they actually choreographed it. All three woke up at the same time (I pause before cancelling their sleep, so they woke up at same time) screaming their little heads off, panted and then headed off for school.

Oye! I play with headphones on, guys :disappointed:
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,660 Member
    I hate them, LOL. They were cool the first time I saw them, but get annoying in the long run, so I always use those lamps.

That said, I love it when a family has their first kid and I forgot about that monster, and it will cease some chaos before I get the lamp installed - still love it when that happens :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    The whole idea of it sounds cool, but when it's happening every other night to the point where the child and other members of the family are losing sleep, it becomes really tedious.