We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 UC just updated!

Comments

  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    graventhe wrote: »
    After the update the game won't recognize my card at all like it doesn't exist I regret updating i wish I can roll back
    I uninstalled it and looking for a way to install it without origin

    The only way to install without Origin is to buy the disks. Did you make sure your drivers were up to date? I know Nvidia just had another driver update on the 29th. Sometimes that can interfere. Other then that I am sorry, if you added it to the control panel I don't understand why it is not working. Have you gone into global settings and set the card to run with all programs? I don't remember the exact phrasing of it, it has been a while since I had to do it. I only have 1 card in this pc so the option isn't there, but my last one I had 2 cards, and had to set that option for some game...it wasn't sims 2, but something I don't even remember. :D You could try that as well. You could also contact Nvidia help, they will know for sure how to get it to work, and they are always helpful. :) Don't give up yet!
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    Ive just noticed on mine after re doing my graphics rules, it says in the instructions:
    Sims 2 Tweaks
    Force texture memory
    This overrides texture memory detection. If the game runs in extremely low quality with most graphical options disabled and whatnot, it might be best to override it. For high quality graphics, set this to 128 Mb or higher. Better yet: check the Device Info tab for the Texture Memory value and set it to the value listed there.

    My texture memory value is 4095mb, the settings graphics rule maker is using is 1024mb. Should I be using the 4095 or keeping it at 1024mb?

    I'm not sure what it was set to prior to this update. I don't want to mess my game up or cause issues.

    The 1024 is enough to be more then efficient. If you wanted to though you could bump that up, your card could handle more. I never changed it when I did it, you most likely didn't either if you don't remember doing it. I say as long as your game looks good to you and you have access to all display options just leave it as it is. The higher it is the harder your card has to work.

    My game look really good on both me And my husbands gaming rig. My stats don’t match @ArilyBoo’s exactly although a lot of it does. I wasn’t sure if I could edit it manually. Sorry I’m a noob.

    My game does allow me to turn smooth edges all the way up and I’ve got the game enabled in my nvidia graphics rules but I haven’t tweaked may of the settings as I’m not sure what I’m doing.

    If it looks good I would leave it alone. No sense in pushing. Yes you can edit the file manually if you open it up in notebook and save your changes. It doesn't have to look exactly the same, different cards will have different stats, plus some people tweak it to more of their liking. You shouldn't have to change anything in the Nvidia panel unless you are experiencing a issue. It usually uses auto settings, so you don't have to worry about that. When I said display settings I meant the ones in game. :) as long as you can set everything how you want it, you are good to go. Anyone ever tell you not to mess with a good thing? :D
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited November 2017
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    Ive just noticed on mine after re doing my graphics rules, it says in the instructions:
    Sims 2 Tweaks
    Force texture memory
    This overrides texture memory detection. If the game runs in extremely low quality with most graphical options disabled and whatnot, it might be best to override it. For high quality graphics, set this to 128 Mb or higher. Better yet: check the Device Info tab for the Texture Memory value and set it to the value listed there.

    My texture memory value is 4095mb, the settings graphics rule maker is using is 1024mb. Should I be using the 4095 or keeping it at 1024mb?

    I'm not sure what it was set to prior to this update. I don't want to mess my game up or cause issues.

    The 1024 is enough to be more then efficient. If you wanted to though you could bump that up, your card could handle more. I never changed it when I did it, you most likely didn't either if you don't remember doing it. I say as long as your game looks good to you and you have access to all display options just leave it as it is. The higher it is the harder your card has to work.

    My game look really good on both me And my husbands gaming rig. My stats don’t match @ArilyBoo’s exactly although a lot of it does. I wasn’t sure if I could edit it manually. Sorry I’m a noob.

    My game does allow me to turn smooth edges all the way up and I’ve got the game enabled in my nvidia graphics rules but I haven’t tweaked may of the settings as I’m not sure what I’m doing.

    If it looks good I would leave it alone. No sense in pushing. Yes you can edit the file manually if you open it up in notebook and save your changes. It doesn't have to look exactly the same, different cards will have different stats, plus some people tweak it to more of their liking. You shouldn't have to change anything in the Nvidia panel unless you are experiencing a issue. It usually uses auto settings, so you don't have to worry about that. When I said display settings I meant the ones in game. :) as long as you can set everything how you want it, you are good to go. Anyone ever tell you not to mess with a good thing? :D

    My husband says that a lot, he works in the gaming industry in graphics ironically! I normally ask him my questions but he’s away at the moment.
    Yeah I can change the settings in game, I have all my options available for screen resolution etc, edge smoothing etc
    I’m not sure I would change my stats manually I would be too scared of doing something wrong knowing my luck lol I suppose I was jsjt wondering what would happen if I did. (Not saying I’m going too!)

    Saying that I did get the sims 3 to recognise my graphics card so maybe I’m a being a little harsh as I had to do that manually and I didn’t break anything lol

    Thank you!
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,333 Member
    crinrict wrote: »
    Not sure but securom is old and bad .. so very happy myself cause it was the reason I didn't install it.

    It also gave issues with Win 10 as Win 10 doesn't like the old DRM programs.

    If you download the Sims 2 Ultimate Edition on another pc it comes with the update already installed correct?
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    crinrict wrote: »
    Not sure but securom is old and bad .. so very happy myself cause it was the reason I didn't install it.

    It also gave issues with Win 10 as Win 10 doesn't like the old DRM programs.

    If you download the Sims 2 Ultimate Edition on another pc it comes with the update already installed correct?

    Yes if it is a fresh install the updates are automatically downloaded with it. :)
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Oh yay, another game tied to that waste of space client....

    :'(
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    I wonder if The Sims 2 UC uses Origin sign-in now. To test if it has Origin sign-in, make sure Origin isn't running and try to start The Sims 2 UC. If Origin doesn't start then it doesn't have Origin sign-in. If Origin opens, the game has Origin sign-in.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,578 Member
    edited November 2017
    I wonder if The Sims 2 UC uses Origin sign-in now. To test if it has Origin sign-in, make sure Origin isn't running and try to start The Sims 2 UC. If Origin doesn't start then it doesn't have Origin sign-in. If Origin opens, the game has Origin sign-in.

    Several have said it opens Origin when started from the desktop. :)
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,766 Member
    It's to be expected that it works the same way as the securom-free Sims 3.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,072 Member
    Ah, yes, but I had just installed that special cc birthday cake that allows us to age up Sims at will. I had already removed the automatic updating, so I removed the cc prior to allowing the update. Now, I'm wondering if that cake is moot? Hope not.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,329 Member
    Ok so I've updated my nvidia drivers and set it to run Sims 2 EP9.exe in control panel, in my documents EA GAMES logs seems to detect my nvidia GeForce GT 630m but still I only have 800*600 resolution and smooth edges still greyed out! Please anyone help ?
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member

    Ah, yes, but I had just installed that special cc birthday cake that allows us to age up Sims at will. I had already removed the automatic updating, so I removed the cc prior to allowing the update. Now, I'm wondering if that cake is moot? Hope not.

    It shouldn't be moot. It should still work fine. They didn't make any changes to the game coding itself....that I am aware of..
    graventhe wrote: »
    Ok so I've updated my nvidia drivers and set it to run Sims 2 EP9.exe in control panel, in my documents EA GAMES logs seems to detect my nvidia GeForce GT 630m but still I only have 800*600 resolution and smooth edges still greyed out! Please anyone help ?

    Have you re-downloaded the graphic rules for your card? The update reset everything you had done before to get it working.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,578 Member
    What @ArilyBoo said here- http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16122394/#Comment_16122394

    Make sure the game has the max settings you need. :)

  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,329 Member
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    Ah, yes, but I had just installed that special cc birthday cake that allows us to age up Sims at will. I had already removed the automatic updating, so I removed the cc prior to allowing the update. Now, I'm wondering if that cake is moot? Hope not.

    It shouldn't be moot. It should still work fine. They didn't make any changes to the game coding itself....that I am aware of..
    graventhe wrote: »
    Ok so I've updated my nvidia drivers and set it to run Sims 2 EP9.exe in control panel, in my documents EA GAMES logs seems to detect my nvidia GeForce GT 630m but still I only have 800*600 resolution and smooth edges still greyed out! Please anyone help ?

    Have you re-downloaded the graphic rules for your card? The update reset everything you had done before to get it working.

    What graphics rules? Omg I used the graphics rules maker to force my textures to 2048 Mb and added the card in the database and omg now I can use edge smoothing and full resolution!
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,329 Member
    @JULES1111 but I have to ask since I made it work using graphics rules maker it didn't work alone from just updating my card, is it ok? I mean I don't wanna mess with setting and make my game corrupt you know ? Is it ok?
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    graventhe wrote: »
    @JULES1111 but I have to ask since I made it work using graphics rules maker it didn't work alone from just updating my card, is it ok? I mean I don't wanna mess with setting and make my game corrupt you know ? Is it ok?

    Oh yes it is fine. Everyone has to use the graphic rules. Nothing bad will happen. :) Glad you got it working properly!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    taffy550 wrote: »
    Updated for me too. Now my resolution is only showing 800x600 and the old fix isn't working. Anyone else having this problem?

    Uh oh... Oh Jules1111, I may need you again! :( I won't have time to update until this weekend probably. Hopefully I won't have to go back to the 800x600 resolution. Jules1111 got my game looking AMAZING. I want it to stay amazing!

    No problem. If you are going to update the game later I can send you instructions on what to do BEFORE updating to save yourself a headache. :)

    Finally!!!

    So excited to see they have finally removed SecuRom!

    After writing my tutorial on Leefish I was always hoping one day EA Games would fix this mess.

    So happy that everyone's game will be fixed and no more lag in build/buy mode! Now to get them to fix the resolution problem hehehe

    OMG That was you who wrote the tutorial? Thank you so much for that!! tackle.gif


    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Question- if I let it update will I have to us Origin to start the game?

    I just tried it on my husbands pc and when I click on the sims 2 Uc icon on desktop it now opens origin :( It never used too.

    Abort!!!! OMG I am so glad I do not have Origin installed. in-disbelief-smiley-emoticon.gif No way am I updating anything, I knew they would do this one day!!


    Oh geez congrats EA on breaking peoples game for the sole purpose of tying it to Origin, when you no longer even support the game!!! :s

    Thank you guys for posting about an update for TS2! I was afraid one day they would tie TS2UC to Origin. Glad I uninstalled Origin. No way am I playing TS2 or TS3 tied to Origin...ever. Glad I read this whole thread before I thought about removing that horrible Securom with Origin why would I swap one malware for another? lol Securom or Origin..hm, since this version I have doesn't kill my pc and not tied to the internet anymore I think I will just leave it and never install Origin to run TS2..no, no way.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    taffy550 wrote: »
    Updated for me too. Now my resolution is only showing 800x600 and the old fix isn't working. Anyone else having this problem?

    Uh oh... Oh Jules1111, I may need you again! :( I won't have time to update until this weekend probably. Hopefully I won't have to go back to the 800x600 resolution. Jules1111 got my game looking AMAZING. I want it to stay amazing!

    No problem. If you are going to update the game later I can send you instructions on what to do BEFORE updating to save yourself a headache. :)

    Finally!!!

    So excited to see they have finally removed SecuRom!

    After writing my tutorial on Leefish I was always hoping one day EA Games would fix this mess.

    So happy that everyone's game will be fixed and no more lag in build/buy mode! Now to get them to fix the resolution problem hehehe

    OMG That was you who wrote the tutorial? Thank you so much for that!! tackle.gif


    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Question- if I let it update will I have to us Origin to start the game?

    I just tried it on my husbands pc and when I click on the sims 2 Uc icon on desktop it now opens origin :( It never used too.

    Abort!!!! OMG I am so glad I do not have Origin installed. in-disbelief-smiley-emoticon.gif No way am I updating anything, I knew they would do this one day!!


    Oh geez congrats EA on breaking peoples game for the sole purpose of tying it to Origin, when you no longer even support the game!!! :s

    Thank you guys for posting about an update for TS2! I was afraid one day they would tie TS2UC to Origin. Glad I uninstalled Origin. No way am I playing TS2 or TS3 tied to Origin...ever. Glad I read this whole thread before I thought about removing that horrible Securom with Origin why would I swap one malware for another? lol Securom or Origin..hm, since this version I have doesn't kill my pc and not tied to the internet anymore I think I will just leave it and never install Origin to run TS2..no, no way.

    You can remove Securom yourself. You do not need Origin for it. Smh mine is already Securom free and has been for a while now. It is easy to do. Let me know if you want to and I will send you the info you need.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,788 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    @graventhe wrote: »
    Answering my now question: you have to remove securom yourself then.
    Now i'm going to start the game to see if there is any problem and if securom come back after.
    Edit: After removing securom and starting the game, securom do not come back !
    Now, the resolution have changed, but not like @taffy550, it's full screen now (before i had a small black line on the right and on the left, not anymore), gosh the game load so quickly now and no lag in buy or build mod :smiley:
    I just have to download the shadow fix now (black square under sims are back) but everything is perfect !

    Congrats EA, this is what we wanted :)

    can you please give the link for the shadow fix? its bugging me a lot :/

    This one? http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=569585

    Thank you SO MUCH. I've been wanting this since that graphics driver update that broke everything! Everything I saw only removed the shadows.

    I still play Sims 2 using my original discs, and SecuROM hasn't bothered me so far, apart from forcing me to update my desktop PC's BIOS. But if they really make the UC version up-to-date and stable, I'll switch over to it, even if it means having to use Origin for Sims 2
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

    Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,329 Member
    Is it me or body shop keeps crashing when trying to build Sims?
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    graventhe wrote: »
    Is it me or body shop keeps crashing when trying to build Sims?

    When you did the graphic rules did you make sure to put those files into the CSconfig files also? That is for body shop. :)
  • lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    rras1994 wrote: »
    > @lulubadwolf said:

    >
    > This ! Why tying it to Origin if they do not support the game ? It's not like it will useful for us and them later. And Origin is so buggy --'

    They do tech support. in fact The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection through origin is the only version of the Sims 2 game they will support, that's why they gave a free copy of S2UC out through Origin. If you have a problem, do go to EA Tech Support!

    Yep, but they do not "support" it in the meaning of making new update to correct corruption or bug/ make the game compatible with new graphic card. Yes they give tips/answer question/help in tech but it's not like they are going to release a patch to get rid of the missing data from pre made neighbourhood. So Origin is just useful to keep up with updates so we avoid looking everywhere or forget to install the update. Here, Origin is useless.
  • Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    I happened to be about to play Sims 3 through Origin when I realised Sims 2 was updating. Which did astonish me. Thanks for the intel about SecuRom. I shall have to tell my devoted Sims 2 friends.
    I did the update, but it went kerplooey. Avira took a dislike to part of it and bollixed the game up so thoroughly I had to uninstall today and reinstall. Back up your game files people, just in case, before you do the update. I have Sims 2 just for a curiosity - I never played it when it was THE Sims game because my old notebook couldn't handle it. Then there was Sims 3, to which I am addicted. So losing my Sims 2 was just "bother, now I need to waste time reinstalling YET AGAIN. I got mine free through Origin, so I have to deal.

    I have no idea what Sims 2 SHOULD look like, but I suspect I have a few graphics issues. Every time I put down a piece of furniture half the house disappears for a few seconds. At least I don't have the black shadow that I had with Vista Sims 2. The river water is also suspiciously unwatery looking. I can't remember what I did to make all work properly with Vista.
  • lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    @Hawkflight1066 I had the same graphic problem when my game absolutely wanted to launch with Intel graphic card (if you have two graphic card in your computer, check which one is used with the game), now with Nvidia i don't have any more graphic problem.
  • Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    I keep seeing people referring to issues with NVIDIA cards. Not techy here, but I looked and mine is Intel Iris. Does this mean I should leave well alone and not try NVIDIA tactics on it. Seriously - I'm a complete innocent when it comes to anything more complicated than clicking that "update drivers" button.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top