Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vampires and mirrors

Do you place any mirrors in your vampire houses? Or maybe I should ask: do you think vampires can see their own reflection?
I've noticed I have this weird problem with placing mirrors in the house of my vampire family. Well, not really a problem, more like overthinking issue ;) I wanted to place the make-up table in one of the rooms, because it fits with the style and all, but then I thought "Well, she won't be able to see herself anyway, will she?". We can assume that WE can't see their reflection, but they can. In that case, it'd be pretty nice if the developers used a children-imagination-mechanism (you can see reflection while controlling a vampire Sim, but not with a regular Sim).

It's silly, I know, but maybe some of you had that thought too, and want to share your experience :)

Also, I was hoping that toddlers and kids do have a reflection since they don't have vampire powers yet. I was very dissapointed it's not the case. I really wanted to take a picture of the mother holding her daughter in front of a mirror ;)

Comments

• kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i'm not sure if they can see their reflections either, but even if they can't, many sure do love that vanity table. and i never even thought about the toddlers/kids not having reflections, even though the vampire bat stuffed animal has no reflection, itself...
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    N35lgk4.png
    A 100% true Vampire can't - best that I can tell any way. All my Vampires were just mortal Sims who were turned, so does it mean they STILL have some shred of humanity left, and therefore COULD still see their reflection? That I not sure of. I DO put mirrors in the houses, though mostly for guests that may come over (or in case my Vampire marries a mortal).

You do bring up a very interesting point. How would a Vampire do their hair (or more importantly) brush their teeth, if they can't see their own reflection?
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    there's a great vampire mockumentary from new zealand that covers a bit of that (hair, picking outfits and such) called "what we do in the shadows". very much recommended watching
  • MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    i'm not sure if they can see their reflections either, but even if they can't, many sure do love that vanity table. and i never even thought about the toddlers/kids not having reflections, even though the vampire bat stuffed animal has no reflection, itself...

I didn't know that! :open_mouth: That's a really nice detail!
    You do bring up a very interesting point. How would a Vampire do their hair (or more importantly) brush their teeth, if they can't see their own reflection?

It just came to my mind one time. I have a pretty female vampire who is quite elegant and prim. I just thought "How you look so good, if you don't see yourself?". There are different vampires in the lore, some of them don't comb etc., but there's a lot left to the imagination in other cases, I guess.
    I'm definitely interested in that mockumentary now, so thanks for sharing @kalaksed
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I don't bother with non-decorative mirrors. In the basement gym for example. I DO have mirrors in the bathrooms because guests. Just like the bathrooms themselves.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    Of course I put morrors in the Vampire homes. I don't care if they see their reflexions, but I like mirrors, they make the room look nice.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Well, since talking in the mirror is one of the ways to raise charisma, yep, I sure do. Though, what's hilarious is that I have a household of vampire guys who hang out at a nightclub with a wall of mirrors behind the bar. Every time they go out for drinks, they're totally invisible in the mirror, and I just think of some clueless drunk sim going, "Just look at those guys, man. They're so cool they don't cast a reflection! Now that's gangsta!" :D
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
    Well, since talking in the mirror is one of the ways to raise charisma, yep, I sure do. Though, what's hilarious is that I have a household of vampire guys who hang out at a nightclub with a wall of mirrors behind the bar. Every time they go out for drinks, they're totally invisible in the mirror, and I just think of some clueless drunk sim going, "Just look at those guys, man. They're so cool they don't cast a reflection! Now that's gangsta!" :D

Your comment made my day :grin:
  • MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    there's a great vampire mockumentary from new zealand that covers a bit of that (hair, picking outfits and such) called "what we do in the shadows". very much recommended watching

Everyone needs to watch this movie.

That is all.
    a63ftuN.png
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    Vampire babies, toddlers and children can be seen on the mirrors.
    But after they become teens, they can't be seen on the mirrors anymore.
    EgonVM wrote: »

I've checked it just now and kids in fact do have a reflection, thank you for pointing it out.
    But still, when my kid was a toddler and her mom was holding her, there was no reflection. I didn't even check other options. I guess the game just assumed that a toddler became a part of the adult hence should be invisible in the mirror. Still, it's a shame because I was hoping for a floating toddler ;)
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    On that note, does the Garlic Scented Mirror repel vampires?
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »

I've checked it just now and kids in fact do have a reflection, thank you for pointing it out.
    But still, when my kid was a toddler and her mom was holding her, there was no reflection. I didn't even check other options. I guess the game just assumed that a toddler became a part of the adult hence should be invisible in the mirror. Still, it's a shame because I was hoping for a floating toddler ;)

Well!
    I have no idea what was up with your game, but in my game the toddlers (they're aliens) are still clearly visible while being held up by their vampire half-brother, who's invisible.
    I even got screenshots!
    30_10_2017_1_20_05_by_magdaneela-dbs55fu.png
    30_10_2017_1_32_12_by_magdaneela-dbs55fj.png

Enjoy ;D

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    I think they don't have reflections at all and no one can see it. Maybe they just like vanity tables and such out of habit. But I love to use mirrors next to vampires and try to explore this detail as much as I can. Vlad's place have a few next to the piano or the bed, it's funny. That giant bat stuffed toy doesn't have a reflection either. I also like to put walls of mirrors in my vampire nightclub, it's amusing to see the full dancefloor, but just half in the mirrors.
    @Magdaleena Lovely pictures! But now I'm jealous...
    I probably still have the save where my vampire is a toddler, I'll check it again.
    The newest patch note says:

"Vampires
    Babies will no longer become invisible in a mirror when picked up by a vampire.
    Floating babies are adorable."

So it looks like my game was in fact bugged ;)