Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's Going On? - A Writing Exercise

pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
Welcome to What's Going On! This is a place where you can practice your writing skills.

How Does It Work?

Basically, someone posts 2-3 screenshots of their sims doing things and post them here. Then, other people write about what they think is going on in the screenshots and use their own writing style. It can be comedic, dramatic, or frightening; it really depends on what you think is happening!

Rules

For the Person Uploading Screenshots:
> A minimum of 2 screenshots and a maximum of 3 screenshots are allowed.
> Please do not spam screenshots in succession; give an allowance period for writers and post screenshots again later on.
> Add short descriptions of the characters in your screenshots with your post to give writers an idea to start from. You can put their profession and their traits. For example, "Bill is a plumber who can be hot-headed, clumsy, and a bit mean. He's the one wearing the blue shirt."
> If necessary, you can add a short prompt. "Bill just arrived at a client's apartment building."
> You can also not add character descriptions and a prompt for more freedom in writing.

For the Writers:
> When writing, quote the post with screenshots and write what is happening under each picture.
> You can write about anything you want; depends on what you think is happening in the pictures.
> If you posted screenshots, you can also write and quote your own post!
Post edited by pronterus on

Comments

• pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    Reserved
    edited October 2017
    I'll start!

Characters:
    Antonio - The young man with glasses. He's a food blogger who is a bit snobby but has good intentions.
    The other characters in the screenies have no names, so you can give them any name.

Prompt: Antonio joins his co-workers to review some food stalls.

k2AgCNg.png
    W4Y17aQ.png
    At74pYM.png
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    edited October 2017
    pronterus wrote: »
    I'll start!

Characters:
    Antonio - The young man with glasses. He's a food blogger who is a bit snobby but has good intentions.
    The other characters in the screenies have no names, so you can give them any name.

k2AgCNg.png
    It was a cold fall evening, Antonio walked across the food court to join his co-workers after a long day blogging about the latest food craze. He was hungry and the smell of hotdogs and coffee soon reached his nose.
    W4Y17aQ.png
    He went to the hotdog stand first and wasn't disappointed when the lady food vendor presented him with a fresh hotdog covered in lettuce and all that stuff they say is good for you. He got so excited he squealed like a little girl before realising there were other people around.
    At74pYM.png
    He sat down next to his co-worker, was it John, Josh, He didn't know. All he knew was that he wanted to sink his teeth into the delicious hotdog. His coworker, John/Josh retched in disgust. 'This is disgusting, how are you enjoying this?' 'Well, in my opinion this is the best hotdog I have ever eaten?' The co-worker glared at Antonio and walked away, huffing.

• 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    I'll start!

Characters:

k2AgCNg.png
    "Oooh, I just love these artisan food stalls!"
    W4Y17aQ.png
    "One hotdog with extra garlic, please!"
    At74pYM.png
    "You know the food trend that I absolutely hate? Plasma fruit. All these chefs are starting to use it, but I haven't liked it in one single dish. It's like how a couple years ago, everyone was into arugula, but no one wanted to admit that it tasted like llama droppings because it was soooo good for you."
  • dragonkiwiidragonkiwii Posts: 124 Member
    I'll start!

Characters:

k2AgCNg.png
    "Looks like the hot dog vendor is open. I hope they are cooked right."
    W4Y17aQ.png
    Antonio orders a hot dog and specifically points out the toppings he wants.
    At74pYM.png
    "You see, the hot dog isn't that good. I mean, the bread is almost sweet, and the meat is a little dry. How about we go try the fish & chips next?"
    i like anime and stuff
    The redhead's name is Randulf Penvellyn. He's an adventurous knight who loves the ladies and hates whales with a vengeance. The man on the throne is King Edward, ruler of Simland. He's an eloquent, well-intentioned guy, but has tendency to become overconfident.
    uVzNIOD.jpg?1
    BkS0mve.jpg?1
    x9d8Y9h.jpg?1
    Awesome stuff so far, guys! :lol:

@15aewar I see what you did with the garlic and plasma fruit there lol
    15aewar wrote: »
    The redhead's name is Randulf Penvellyn. He's an adventurous knight who loves the ladies and hates whales with a vengeance. The man on the throne is King Edward, ruler of Simland. He's an eloquent, well-intentioned guy, but has tendency to become overconfident.
    uVzNIOD.jpg?1
    "The Kingdom of Simland is grateful to have a skilled knight such as yourself." King Edward says as he sees his subject kneel before him.

"Sire." Randulf speaks. "I am not worthy to be called as such."

"Don't be so modest now, Sir Randulf!" the king says with a smile.
    BkS0mve.jpg?1
    "After all, it was you who saved this castle from the land whale that attacked our shores."

"Ah, yes. I am thankful for the reward of whale gonads. It sold well on the market." Sir Randulf says, remembering how he was able to use the gold to visit a high-class harem hall.
    x9d8Y9h.jpg?1
    "Now go, Sir Randulf! Another land whale threatens the port of Brindleton. For the sake of our kingdom, go and slay that whale!"

"It will be an honor, sire. That whale's gonads will be mine."

@pronterus You had me literally laughing out loud. I definitely wasn't expecting that. AND you managed to use all the sim's traits. Way to go!
    @pronterus You had me literally laughing out loud. I definitely wasn't expecting that. AND you managed to use all the sim's traits. Way to go!

Thanks! I always add comedy when I see an opportunity :lol:
  • lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    I love this and will do it tomorrow. :)
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    edited October 2017
    OK! I got mine! Of course, I know Antonio! And Akira, and I'm vaguely familiar with Penny...
    I'll start!

Characters:

k2AgCNg.png

Another night in San Myshuno. You'd think by now that Antonio would have grown weary of the food stalls in the Fashion District. For the most part, he had. But there was this one old-style, home-cooking stall. And tonight, Maisy worked the stove.

Akira had already arrived, ordered, and was sitting down to devour his chili dog. He had better not have taken the last one! Last time that happened--well, let's just say that the dry-cleaning bill Penny Pizazz stuck them with wasn't pretty.

Penny would be there tonight, too.

Manners, Antonio reminded himself. Please, thank you, and after you, ma'am.

Or maybe Penny would prefer to be called "Miss."

W4Y17aQ.png

Antonio was in luck. Maisy had just cooked a fresh batch of chili. Everyone thought the secret to Maisy's chili lay in the fire-roasted habeneros. But Antonion knew it was in the cumin, and just a dash of Mexican cinnamon.

"Guacamole?" she asked.

"What's that?" Antonio found it hard to concentrate. Maisy's jugular vein was pulsing in strangely delectable way. Odd he'd never noticed it before.

"Do you have high blood pressure?" he asked.

Heat eminated from her. She smelled sweet and spicy and very warm.

Antonio! Get a grip on yourself lad! He told himself. You'd think you'd been bitten by a bug.

Maybe not a bug. And not yet. Not quite.

At74pYM.png

He sat down next to Akira.

"Do you ever wonder what it would feel like to sink your teeth into a nice, warm, brown neck?"

"Freak!" yelled Akira. "You're just trying to distract me so you can grab my chili dog."
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited October 2017

k2AgCNg.png

Antonio wondered how long he could keep up the ruse. He'd been giving this particular food stall rave reviews for so long now his co-workers insisted on joining him tonight to see what all the fuss was about. It wasn't the food he was infatuated with though, it was truly atrocious, normally not fit for the palatte of a culinary connoisseur such as himself.

W4Y17aQ.png

It was her.

The lovely Rubenesque vision behind the counter had stolen Antonio's heart and he would do anything to help her succeed. Alas, he was just another customer to her since Antonio was a bit shy and hadn't worked up the courage to say anything to her other than give his order and thanks. He hoped to change that and gain her affections with his 5 Star reviews of the establishment. So far all he'd accomplished was increased clientele and even less one-on-one interactions with his hoped for paramour.

At74pYM.png

"The delicate flavors of the meat and toppings are divine and I wish I could slow their progress down my throat so as to prolong the enjoyment. Wouldn't you agree?"

"Dude, what's wrong with you? This stuff isn't fit for man nor beast."

@CathyTea Loved what you wrote! It's like Antonio's experience after being bitten and unaware of it. :lol:

@Karababy52 Liked the last part of what you wrote :lol:
  • MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    I'll start!

Characters:

k2AgCNg.png
    Banh mi was suddenly overcome with a sense of dread. The man that murdered his sister, Banh her was approaching and he had a hunger in his eyes that Banh mi recognised at once.

W4Y17aQ.png
    "I would like Banh mi today," asked the man who was known to us bread-folk as Antonio the Slayer.

So, today was to be my last. Well, Antonio, I will not go down without a fight! I will be the end of you even if it kills me!

At74pYM.png

I hear that you're allergic to chillies, choke on that, you murderer!

dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Thanks @pronterus, glad you enjoyed it. I saw the look on his face when he was looking at the food stall worker and ran with it. He seemed smitten. hehe I went a little overboard with the snobbiness in his thoughts and speech though. Oh well...This is fun! :)
    I'll start!

Characters:

k2AgCNg.png
    Banh mi was suddenly overcome with a sense of dread. The man that murdered his sister, Banh her was approaching and he had a hunger in his eyes that Banh mi recognised at once.

W4Y17aQ.png
    "I would like Banh mi today," asked the man who was known to us bread-folk as Antonio the Slayer.

So, today was to be my last. Well, Antonio, I will not go down without a fight! I will be the end of you even if it kills me!

At74pYM.png

I hear that you're allergic to chillies, choke on that, you murderer!

This one had me laughing @Munterbacon :lol:
    Well, I had other plans but decided to go to bed early. So, I wrote this up as a nice little exercise before bed. I'm absolutely loving these exercises! I'll do the other one tomorrow. :D

"Oh my! Is that....it is!"

Antonio rushes over to the food truck careful not to exude too much enthusiasm into the cool night air.

k2AgCNg.png

After ordering, Antonio trembles with excitement at the thought of sinking his teeth into THE potentially best organic food truck food he's ever had. "Your food has won every competition in the country in your category. I can't believe you're here."

"I know! It's crazy."

W4Y17aQ.png

The voice startles Antonio who only has eyes for the food truck like a love-starved man. A dark-haired guy wearing a brown jacket had spoken.

"My name's Paul."

"Um, mine's Antonio."

"Nice to meet you."

After receiving his change, Antonio carefully picks up his plate with both hands as if it might break if squeezed too hard. He finds a seat by himself. Would it live up to his standards or be squashed like other fallen victims to his food blog review?

A few minutes later, Antonio scowls, trying to understand how these two numbskulls happened to sit with him instead of the empty table behind him.

"You must be kidding? This is the best food I've tasted since the ice cream truck came through here two months ago," Akira says, running his fingers through his black hair in frustration. "You must be mad."

"Well, I'm sorry, but my opinion doesn't negate that I'm mad just because your opinion doesn't match mine," Paul says, picking up his hot dog. He scowls at Akira as ketchup dribbles unnoticed onto his brown jacket. "What do you think, um, Antonio, right? You've been quiet."

"How could I possibly decide with you two arguing? I'm a man of complex taste buds who needs space, a quiet atmosphere, and all my faculties to fully immerse myself in this rare food experience."

At74pYM.png

Antonio stands up, grabs his plate, and walks to the empty table where he plops down.

"And I thought you were mad, bro."
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
    edited October 2017
    uVzNIOD.jpg?1
    'Ahh, Sir Randulf. You're back again. What is it you have brought me?' The king looked down upon the knight with an air of distaste.
    'Sire, I brought you this bunch of plantains. They come from the rocky mountain land near the end of your kingdom. They are quite delicious. There is a recipe you can buy from an old wizard called Sitirum. He lives in a tower near Mount Creator.'
    'Randulf, this is not what I asked for. I am very disappointed in you. But now as punishment you can take the journey to the wizard's house.
    'And do what?'
    BkS0mve.jpg?1
    'Go Randulf and buy this recipe from the warlock Sitirium. I must have it for my collection.'
    'But Sire, what if I die?'
    'Well then you would have died a noble death serving your king.'
    'But who will hunt the whales while I am gone?'
    'I will set Craigor on it. I've always wanted to see how he would do.'
    Randulf sighs, Craigor is useless and clown. The idea of him hunting a whale is laughable. He would soon see when he returned, if he returned.
    x9d8Y9h.jpg?1
    Randulf gathered the courage to leave the throne room. Knowing that he may not survive the journey, he took in what could have been his last looks at the castle.
    Great work everyone!
    @Bugsie2016 Ooooh, nice! I like how you incorporate the expressions of the characters into the story.
    I just realized this is the best place to dump unused screenshots that didn't make the final edit. :lol:
    I just realized this is the best place to dump unused screenshots that didn't make the final edit. :lol:

Yep. My thoughts were best place to leave my collection of non story pics. (There's a lot of them from when I actually play the game :D that have my characters in.)
  • StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    This looks fun, here are some shots from me :) (I'll pop back in and try my hand at writing for some of the other pictures after I get some story stuff of my own finished).

Characters:
    Kaiphus - Guy, vampire

Anna - Girl, human

Prompt: Kaiphus meets the lovely young Anna in the back alley for a snack.

unused-1.png

unused-2.png

unused-3.png
    edited October 2017
    Not perfect by far but kind of fun. I think it's funny that he doesn't like whales. Gave me a little chuckle.

"Oh, King Edward, ruler of Simland." Randulf Penvellyn bows before the throne.

"Stand, Sir Randulf of Penvellyn. What can your majesty do for you?" King Edward asks.

"Oh, great one, I've come for your help with a matter that could cause epidemic chaos if not dealt with immediately."

Laughter erupted like clanging swords echoing across the silent stone room.

"Harry, now is not the time."

Harry stops whittling and scowls at the king. "Now is never the time. Am I not allowed to laugh? Perhaps you'd like to throw me in the dungeon like all the others you've imprisoned."

"No, brother. I just wish--"

"That I was as well-spoken and smart like you?"

"That's not what I said."

"You don't need to. I'm the best dragon slayer in the whole land. I'm happy with who I am. I wish you would be, too." Bending his head, he begins to whittle again.

King Edward opens his mouth but glances at the red-headed man in front of him, staring at them both with a somewhat mischievous smile. Chomping his mouth shut, the king's face changes from annoyance to concern. "Sir Randulf, what is the epidemic? Is it sickness? Or the black plague?"

Randulf, knowing the thin line he was walking, bowed again. "Oh, great King of Simland, I beg your pardon. Perhaps I should come at another time."

uVzNIOD.jpg?1

"No, no. Don't keep me in suspense."

Randulf rises. "King Edward, Ruler of Simland, great one. The epidemic is far greater than you can imagine. This will cause more problems than the black plague."

"Oh. Do tell."

"Great king of Simland, the situation is incredible yet dire. We are overrun with something so great that it could take over our world. They could wipe away life as we know it. These creatures need to be driven out of our area immediately to prevent this from happening."

"You make it sound terrible. What is it, good knight? The dragons in the caves?"

"No. They keep these creatures from spreading in your northern kingdom."

"The prostitutes in the villages?"

"No. They keep us men happy."

"Is it perhaps the ghosts in the graveyard?"

"Oh, no, sir. They keep us laughing."

"Then what could it possibly be?"

"The whales, sire."

Harry's laughter again echos off the bare stones walls.

"Pardon? The whales?" King Edward asks.

"Yes. They're out to get us. They'll stop at nothing."

"Whales? Are you a fool?"

"Harry. Enough." King Edward glares at his brother, and then looks at Randulf. "Great Knight, how are these ocean creatures out to get us?"

"Oh, well, I'm not sure. But I found their lair."

"Sir Randulf of Penvellyn," he said, rising from his throne, "Please meet me outside in five minutes time." Harry begins to speak, but King Edward silences him with a look.

Randulf does as requested.

"Randulf, my knight, I have a task for you. I've heard rumor that a great force is also looking for the whales. They will help you in your quest to save my kingdom. I've asked my brother to accompany you. Listen and obey him. Here's the money for the journey. Use it wisely. Please do not return until the whales have been completely destroyed."

BkS0mve.jpg?1

"Thank you, King Edward." Randulf begins to bow but the king stops him.

"You must leave now. Harry is inside, preparing for the journey. Find him and leave immediately."

Randulf finds the king's brother inside near the throne room.

"I'm ready, but I need one more thing from the other room. Meet me out front."

Randulf walks out of the throne room while thoughts whirl in his head. Someone else hates whales as much as him. Interesting. Perhaps they could fight the evil pests together. His king trusted him with this quest, but could he trust the king or Harry? No one had ever believed in him and his cause before. Everyone always laughed at him like Titus. Determination rose inside him. He would go. He had to go. How else would the whales be destroyed and the kingdom saved?

x9d8Y9h.jpg?1

Post edited by lovesstorms on
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
    Not perfect by far but kind of fun. I think it's funny that he doesn't like whales. Gave me a little chuckle.

"Oh, King Edward, ruler of Simland," Randulf Penvellyn bows before the throne.

"Stand, Sir Randulf of Penvellyn. What can your majesty do for you?" King Edward asks.

"Oh, great one, I've come for your help with a matter that could cause epidemic chaos if not dealt with immediately."

Laughter erupted like clanging swords echoing across the silent stone room.

"Harry, now is not the time."

Harry stops whittling and scowls at the king. "Now is never the time. Am I not allowed to laugh? Perhaps you'd like to throw me in the dungeon like all the others you've imprisoned."

"No, brother. I just wish--"

"That I was as well-spoken and smart like you?"

"That's not what I said."

"You don't need to. I'm the best dragon slayer in the whole land. I'm happy with who I am. I wish you would be, too." Bending his head, he begins to whittle again.

King Edward opens his mouth but glances at the red-headed man in front of him, staring at them both with a somewhat mischievous smile. Chomping his mouth shut, the king's face changes from annoyance to concern. "Sir Randulf, what is the epidemic? Is it sickness? Or the black plague?"

Randulf, knowing the thin line he was walking, bowed again. "Oh, great King of Simland, I beg your pardon. Perhaps I should come at another time."

uVzNIOD.jpg?1

"No, no. Don't keep me in suspense."

Randulf rises. "King Edward, Ruler of Simland, great one. The epidemic is far greater than you can imagine. This will cause more problems than the black plague."

"Oh. Do tell."

"Great king of Simland, the situation is incredible yet dire. We are overrun with something so great that it could take over our world. They could wipe away life as we know it. These creatures need to be driven out of our area immediately to prevent this from happening."

"You make it sound terrible. What is it, good knight? The dragons in the caves?"

"No. They keep these creatures from spreading in your northern kingdom."

"The prostitutes in the villages?"

"No. They keep us men happy."

"Is it perhaps the ghosts in the graveyard?"

"Oh, no, sir. They keep us laughing."

"Then what could it possibly be?"

"The whales, sire."

Harry's laughter again echos off the bare stones walls.

"Pardon? The whales?" King Edward asks.

"Yes. They're out to get us. They'll stop at nothing."

"Whales? Are you a fool?"

"Harry. Enough." King Edward glares at his brother, and then looks at Randulf. "Great Knight, how are these ocean creatures out to get us?"

"Oh, well, I'm not sure. But I found their lair."

"Sir Randulf of Penvellyn," he said, rising from his throne, "Please meet me outside in five minutes time." Harry begins to speak, but King Edward silences him with a look.

Randulf does as requested.

"Randulf, my knight, I have a task for you. I've heard rumor that a great force is also looking for the whales. They will help you in your quest to save my kingdom. I've asked my brother to accompany you. Listen and obey him. Here's the money for the journey. Use it wisely. Please do not return until the whales have been completely destroyed."

BkS0mve.jpg?1

"Thank you, King Edward." Randulf begins to bow but the king stops him.

"You must leave now. Harry is inside, preparing for the journey. Find him and leave immediately."

Randulf finds the king's brother inside near the throne room.

"I'm ready, but I need one more thing from the other room. Meet me out front."

Randulf walks out of the throne room while thoughts whirl in his head. Someone else hates whales as much as him. Interesting. Perhaps they could fight the evil pests together. His king trusted him with this quest, but could he trust the king or Harry? No one had ever believed in him and his cause before. Everyone always laughed at him like plum. Determination rose inside him. He would go. He had to go. How else would the whales be destroyed and the kingdom saved?

x9d8Y9h.jpg?1
    Literally LOL :D