Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

•→ Attention•Gallery Download Cheating Is Real ←•

Comments

• catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I think this whole thread is totally ridiculous. Do you really care this much about a GAME and who has more like than someone else. It is JUST a GAME.
    With all the problems in the world, this is such a petty thing to complain about. Check out the REAL news for a reality check.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I should care why? Its just a game its not real life.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • chluke75chluke75 Posts: 110 Member
    > @Rhisk said:
    > This is all very sad to me. If am honest I can understand why some people would cheat. It makes them feel good to have a large numbers of DLs. The only reason I personally would want DLs is because I believe someone really liked my creations and was playing with my work in the game. That makes me happy. However, I do have a troublesome thought, the people who cheat may likely have an addiction problem. I have seen it over and over again, even in my own family. This is heartbreaking to think about. I love the Sims. It is a wonderful outlet for creativity and imagination. I play and create. I enjoy the work of others and I enjoy when others like mine. I don't aspire to have 100,000 Dls or thousands of followers. I love my friends and followers and take care of them all even if I am their only follower. I don't understand what there is to gain in cheating other than a sense of self importance or an addiction. I know it is hard for the honest creator who has spent many long hours on creating to see a cheater take the easy road to success. It can be very frustrating. I do know that before becoming involved in the gallery/community I only favorited creations that I wanted to get later, it was a way to find them later, but if I found what I wanted or liked at the moment I just downloaded and moved on with my game play. To @Celticgamer0 's point, many regular every day Simmers don't always favorite before downloading. So the number of favorites my not be the most perfect way to go. This certainly is a dilemma. As for not revealing the way to cheat, I am glad @GLovely1 is not revealing the secret. I would rather not see the gallery become any more inflated than it is. My thoughts for a solution is a Identity ticker. This would allow only one count per EA ID. So if EA Id for Jane Doe downloaded a creation it only counted one DL, any subsequent DLs would not increase the DL count. Well that is my humble input. Happy Simming to you all! **hugs**

Your solution brings up another issue. In my case, my daughter plays on my account, but on her laptop. What I download here, does not affect her library. If we both happened upon the same sim or build, and download it, should that only count once for that person? But by the same token, there are times where I will make something specifically with her in mind, and I have to share it in the gallery for her to access it. Her download of my creation then shouldn't count for me, because technically I'm downloading my own creation. Quite a conundrum, but I always support asking for fixes to a flawed system.
    I should care why? Its just a game its not real life.

So true! Spoken so well!
  • GLovely1GLovely1 Posts: 797 Member
    Hello again @catmando830 Let's see, first of all I do not appreciate your written "tone" of voice as you respond to something that clearly is of interest and importance to me and many others in the gallery. Your shouting words are inappropriate and your vehemence is offensive. Of course I knew when I "blew the whistle" about this problem in the gallery I would come across simmers on the complete opposite end of the issue as me. I understand and respect that .. do you? I have explained my position clearly and very lengthy at this point. This is simply about an abuse to the current gallery system. Cheating, yes there are people who are cheating in the gallery and while this is "just a game" many of us are here spending time and money in this game that yes we do care about. I do not know about you but personally I come to this game and this gallery in my limited free time to actually take a break from the stressors of real news and life. This is a game, a fun, fantasy game where we play and create with life. I do not cheat when I play a trivia/board/card or face to face game with friends because that is unacceptable in the real world. There are real people in the gallery playing this game. I have 2 questions for you. Do you believe if a hidden back door cheat tactic for gallery play is out there ready to use by any of us .. should we all just go ahead and use it? Who would want to actually stay and create in the gallery if everyone were cheating? I say hidden because if maxis and the majority of the gallery wanted or liked this cheat method then most all of us would by now be aware of this method. It is hidden. When you hide something you are doing on the internet or in real life it is usually the wrong thing to do. Thank you everyone for reading :smile:
    I think this whole thread is totally ridiculous. Do you really care this much about a GAME and who has more like than someone else. It is JUST a GAME.
    With all the problems in the world, this is such a petty thing to complain about. Check out the REAL news for a reality check.

Please join my 💜 Quick Creativity Challenge 💜 forum thread
    [img][/img]kU5Eaxv.png

@pepperjax1230 I have at length throughout this thread and again in my reply to @catmando830 explained why I care .. why I and many others in the gallery right now care about this issue. Cheating, yes, even in "just a game" is offensive to many people, except to the ones who are doing the cheating. Here is the actual definition of cheating - "act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination" I am stating again--I clearly see a wrong in the gallery and it is getting worse. I also clearly see in my opinion a fairly easy way to correct this in a game update. Rewrite the code in 1 section to tell it to track the fav number and not the download number. There, download cheating problem solved :smile: On a side note .. so am I to understand your stance is something like ... so what, who cares let people cheat in this or any other online game where real people are interacting with other real people? Bottom line, it is "just a game." You do not have to care as is your right. I do not support cheating of this nature period. Not even in a game. If I felt it was unfixable I wouldn't have blasted it here. How about you join me temporarily in caring a little bit .. just enough to see if maxis and the powers that be can actually make a positive fix to this cheating problem :smile:
    [img][/img]kU5Eaxv.png

Hello @chluke75 and first off I give you a warm welcome to the forums! :smile: Thank you for taking the time to consider this post and giving it your first comment. Your situation happens often enough in the gallery where family members share one account. Initially I would say yes sure 1 account = 1 download however that is in a perfect system and we all know now this system and most systems are not perfect :wink: In your case, your double download so you and your daughter can enjoy that 1 same sim or build is totally fine. You and your daughter are using this game and gallery in the very way it is intended. You see something you love and you download it. Your technicality you bring up is just that. Due to your circumstances and the way the system is set up there is no way around it. Your 1 unintentional self download does not a cheater make :smiley: Thank you for your support in attempting to fix this flaw in the gallery system & keep on simming on!
    chluke75 wrote: »
    > @Rhisk said:
    > This is all very sad to me. If am honest I can understand why some people would cheat. It makes them feel good to have a large numbers of DLs. The only reason I personally would want DLs is because I believe someone really liked my creations and was playing with my work in the game. That makes me happy. However, I do have a troublesome thought, the people who cheat may likely have an addiction problem. I have seen it over and over again, even in my own family. This is heartbreaking to think about. I love the Sims. It is a wonderful outlet for creativity and imagination. I play and create. I enjoy the work of others and I enjoy when others like mine. I don't aspire to have 100,000 Dls or thousands of followers. I love my friends and followers and take care of them all even if I am their only follower. I don't understand what there is to gain in cheating other than a sense of self importance or an addiction. I know it is hard for the honest creator who has spent many long hours on creating to see a cheater take the easy road to success. It can be very frustrating. I do know that before becoming involved in the gallery/community I only favorited creations that I wanted to get later, it was a way to find them later, but if I found what I wanted or liked at the moment I just downloaded and moved on with my game play. To @Celticgamer0 's point, many regular every day Simmers don't always favorite before downloading. So the number of favorites my not be the most perfect way to go. This certainly is a dilemma. As for not revealing the way to cheat, I am glad @GLovely1 is not revealing the secret. I would rather not see the gallery become any more inflated than it is. My thoughts for a solution is a Identity ticker. This would allow only one count per EA ID. So if EA Id for Jane Doe downloaded a creation it only counted one DL, any subsequent DLs would not increase the DL count. Well that is my humble input. Happy Simming to you all! **hugs**

Your solution brings up another issue. In my case, my daughter plays on my account, but on her laptop. What I download here, does not affect her library. If we both happened upon the same sim or build, and download it, should that only count once for that person? But by the same token, there are times where I will make something specifically with her in mind, and I have to share it in the gallery for her to access it. Her download of my creation then shouldn't count for me, because technically I'm downloading my own creation. Quite a conundrum, but I always support asking for fixes to a flawed system.

[img][/img]kU5Eaxv.png

• QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Another thing I’ve noticed is people who upload the same lot/sim multiple times in a short period (they’re all by the same person and have different download counts).

Also: the whole “People are starving to death in Africa, why are you talking about something I don’t care about!!!” thing is getting old. People can care about more than one thing at once.
  • sweetness86sweetness86 Posts: 33 Member
    I have already commented here, but wanted to add a few more things. I have been a creative member in the gallery for years and I am one of the close friends that @GLovely1 has trusted with how this cheating works. I have tried it once to see if it works and unfortunately it does. I also don't feel it would be right to publicize the steps to cheat because while that would prove it completely it has the potential to create more cheaters in the gallery. Cheating takes the fair and honesty out of the gallery, we are just trying to bring it back into the gallery again by asking for this system change.
  • WackeldackelXL49WackeldackelXL49 Posts: 182 Member
    Thank you @Glovely1(Lisa) :) for your letter and your please for help here in the community! How is this possible in the gallery that people can cheat on her downloads and favs? This can't be a fair game for all players in the gallery! This is my opinion, and we need help from maxis/EA,Sim Gurus,please check this cheater accounts, we can give the names! Cheating is not in the rules, and should we no longer accept. Many good creators with beautiful creations leave the gallery, what remains then? Please stop cheating!!!
  • SpenndraginSpenndragin Posts: 17 Member
    There is a link between a creator and their creation. Perhaps the system could recognize that link and automatically remove the mechanism that triggers a DL increase. Or, just don't have that DL increase trigger mechanism generated, (between a creator and their creation), in the first place.
    edited October 2017
    GLovely1 wrote: »
    @pepperjax1230 I have at length throughout this thread and again in my reply to @catmando830 explained why I care .. why I and many others in the gallery right now care about this issue. Cheating, yes, even in "just a game" is offensive to many people, except to the ones who are doing the cheating. Here is the actual definition of cheating - "act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination" I am stating again--I clearly see a wrong in the gallery and it is getting worse. I also clearly see in my opinion a fairly easy way to correct this in a game update. Rewrite the code in 1 section to tell it to track the fav number and not the download number. There, download cheating problem solved :smile: On a side note .. so am I to understand your stance is something like ... so what, who cares let people cheat in this or any other online game where real people are interacting with other real people? Bottom line, it is "just a game." You do not have to care as is your right. I do not support cheating of this nature period. Not even in a game. If I felt it was unfixable I wouldn't have blasted it here. How about you join me temporarily in caring a little bit .. just enough to see if maxis and the powers that be can actually make a positive fix to this cheating problem :smile:
    But at the end of the day this is a petty thing to complain about do something that helps everyone like try to get the bugs in the game that annoy you heard and fixed. I don't care about things that happen in the gallery because I know that in the grand scheme of things people will just be people and abuse what they can on the internet. This is a fact that this is the internet and most people don't care how they get ahead. So instead of devoting all your time getting something done on the gallery devote your time getting the bugs in the game heard and fixed. Some people have issues that make it hard to play the game.Also this is a game and to some its an escape from things that happen in the world so why would I since I try to escape from things support something that feels like its intrusive in my escape place. One other thing is that when I take things from the gallery that I like and feel like are not going to be there I upload them again to my gallery without changing them so if you think that is cheating since I didn't make the thing and people download it and favorite it that isn't my problem. That is my method of keeping things I like on the gallery when I have to reinstall the game and lost lots I had. I won't do anything different because I don't feel like I am doing anything wrong.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • kass17kass17 Posts: 92 Member
    @pepperjax1230 I think that you are right about caring about playing issues, but for me, my pleasure is to share creations to give to the players. So, there are pleasure in game and on the gallery too. So, the gallery is a part of sims 4 game, and problem there must be repaired too.
    kass17 wrote: »
    @pepperjax1230 I think that you are right about caring about playing issues, but for me, my pleasure is to share creations to give to the players. So, there are pleasure in game and on the gallery too. So, the gallery is a part of sims 4 game, and problem there must be repaired too.
    I will rephrase what I mean by not caring about the gallery. The creations you add on the gallery after you upload them aren't yours so if you share its because you want to not because you are hung up over what people do after you upload them and who cares anyways I don't see anything wrong with the gallery. I look at the gallery as a place to fill my neighborhoods and I use the stuff I have created mostly but its because I have made them the way I want. I use the gallery mostly as a back up of houses and sims I love and can play in other saves.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    @GLovely1 I didn't know this was even possible but I don't expect my small uk builds to be favorited anyway, though I do get a few and seem to have gathered 10 followers in the 3+ years of Sims 4. I've never had any adverse comments though and suggested to EA that they included a "thanks" button as well or in place of "Fave" The only way I found of getting more downloads was just to build a "Basic" house but never have had more than 50 downloads of a lot anyway.

Good luck with what you are trying to do but don't break the Gallery!
  • natessenatesse Posts: 6 New Member
    Hi Lisa. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. From what I know of you and your character in game, I do trust what you are saying is true. It is sad indeed, but, it is a reflection of human nature. I respect and admire you for putting this out here, and respectfully responding to everyone, regardless of their tone. I play and create as an outlet, an escape from reality. It is fun and relaxing for me, and I've met some awesome people I consider friends. I play honestly and fairly, and will continue to do so. I do hope that EA/Maxis will look into this. Cheating isn't going to fill the void inside of anyone, under any circumstances, and karma will eventually catch up. Happy Simming to you my friend.
  • mistfallmistfall Posts: 7 New Member
    The system uses tests in school for an accurate portrayal of the student's abilities/knowlege of the subject matter. And is the basis of advancment, scholarship, placement in classes, entry to college. It is not an accurate portrayal if there is cheating involved. Maxis has only 3 standard sorts in the gallery, newest, popular, popular now. Popular and popular now are based on downloads. Cheating on downloads is not an accurate portrayal of "popular" or 'popular now". Whether "popular" means the creation is magnificent or means the creator has alot of followers is beside the point. "Top Gallery,to have your creation in the coveted first 10 positions in Popular Now, is the personal goal of some creators. Thats it. There is no advancement earned, no scholarship, no placement in the game, no income by being in the top 10. But there are enough creators that feel this way, that Maxis should consider this solution, if there is no better solution and there may be one. So maxis please help cut down the cheating. Thank you.
  • ladyloialladyloial Posts: 537 Member
    I also already posted here, want to add though.

I fully support for all cheating like this to be looked into and very hopeful that it is something that can and will be fixed, The Gallery is a mess for sure and needs some changing, I know the team works hard on trying to keep up.

So many make such negative comments in the forums and on our creations too, I've had many bad tacky comments on my builds that were faved by Maxi's, I do my best to just ignore them and move on as can not truly know how old or young they are. I mostly quit the forums because of it.
    I remember way back in Sims 3 a time when it was much more kinder environment.

I will always remain an honest player :smile:
    aaagXEr5xv_zps9aeuclrp.jpg
    @GLovely1 - why don't you just message the gurus directly, instead of causing a bru-ha-ha in the forums.
    Goodness I did not realize I would get such strong opposition. @catmando830 I feel as though you are not even reading the clear "I do not support cheating of any kind even in game play" message. Cheating is unfair, abusive to real people in the gallery and abusive to the game. The gallery is part of the game. What happens in one place affects the other. If you are in support of cheating to get ahead in life, even in a game, then please leave this thread. If you would like to help change the gallery and prevent cheating then please stay and share some helpful solutions. Also, I will repeat, I have been contacted by an EA official and they are going to investigate this further. Thank you :smile:
    [img][/img]kU5Eaxv.png

edited October 2017
    I want to take a moment to thank all of the well-spoken supporters of this thread @ladyloial @SurfChicCreation @mistfall @natesse @Mchap353 @kass17 @Spenndragin @WackeldackelXL49 @sweetness86 @QueenMercy @chluke75 @Idontrcall @Plantyl @pennypolendina @LordOfTendons @James64468 @friendlysimmers @seaside @So_Money @kittymeow @Rhisk @Vee_Sam @Celticgamer0 @LeGardePourpre @agustd @GalacticGal and @Gillr52 Just in case you missed it in those entertaining yet off topic posts :smile: I have been in contact with an EA official earlier today who has forwarded my findings to the Live QA team for a full investigation. I was very relieved and I trust that the clear way I have presented our facts to them will be thoroughly reviewed. Like I have said .. it seems a fairly easy fix to me. Breathe a sigh of relief with me and a quick cheer … yessssss! (see, still no caps lol :wink:) I am grateful that you all chose to speak up with me against cheating. I will never actively or passively support cheating even in “just a game”. Please keep creating and keep on simming on :smiley:
    @gizzinator1 and the rest of my unsupportive responders here .. I do actually appreciate the dialog exchange even if it did get off topic and quite heated there for a bit. Cooler heads now prevail please. I understand your disagreement that you feel this is not a priority to fix. I get that. There are plenty of things that could run more efficiently and we should all have patience and compassion for every issue of importance. This thread is trying to focus on very real cheating in the gallery. I believe there will be an easy fix too .. so why not put it in EA's hands and let them do it. A huge portion of their gaming community will appreciate this change :smiley:
    [img][/img]kU5Eaxv.png

• VanderetroVanderetro Posts: 81 Member
    Dear @GLovely1 . I thank you for the effort you make to this request! As creators it is very appreciated. They would be even more agile to see that players who play with the creations support us a little more in our battle against cheaters ... unfortunately some player here believe that the game was created only for them ... I say that it's up to each one to use the game as he wants it ... but in honesty and respect for everyone's creations ... Some creators put incredible hours, that others can not even imagine, in their creations. Why the cheater would be able to be in the foreground while creators who put their heart in their creation, are darkened??. Think about it before looking from the top of your players chair

My Showcase HERE

• Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    @GLovely1 Hopefully, everything will be cleared up/sorted in an expedient manner :smile:
    @GLovely1 - why don't you just message the gurus directly, instead of causing a bru-ha-ha in the forums.
    Sorry @catmando830 I did not ignore this post. I am just now trying to catch up on everything here. I felt it most important to calm everyone down with what most of us feel is very good news. I did tag some gurus in my original letter and I brought my serious concern here so I could actively uncover this hidden problem to the playing public. I am a thoughtful member of this simming community and sometimes it takes a "bru-ha-ha" to get real action and results.

[img][/img]kU5Eaxv.png

• DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    @GLovely1

Congratulations! I am not being sarcastic, I am being sincere.

I personally do not upload anything to the Gallery. I only download Maxis creations from a pack or household they made for a trailer. Maybe this is why I do not look in the gallery or care about this issue. I mean, why would I want to DL a creation from the gallery when the game is so unplayable with the bugs? If I cannot use a creation and enjoy that creation in my game, why bother to DL it at all? Maybe this is why I disagree with you and I believe that fixing the game should be higher on the list. After all, if the game is unplayable because of the bugs and glitches that have been in it since launch and have aggressively gotten worse with every pack and patch. Some bugs were fixed, then have returned with a vengeance and really make playing the game impossible.

As I said, Thank you. I just can't continue to try and support this game and spend money on it when they would rather fix an issue with the gallery and not fix the game and DLC that customers paid for.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top