Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Was the Ignore Button Removed From Chance Cards?

2...Next

Comments

• kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I would be more interrested in who of the developers (not producers) dictate what type of game we will play. RPG or sandbox? Who is the loudest (gets their way the most) voice in the room? I know SimsGuruDaniel felt it was cheating (he remarked something similar) when he decided Never Weary shouldn't mean always never weary..but sometimes...but I would have argued the points of 1. You shouldn't tweak a reward they (fans) are already using and liking. And 2. Then change the name to Hardly Ever Weary. It seemed to be a sticking point that in this game Sims who were never weary would be a form of cheating. Knowing many, many of these developers hold more experience in RPG games and MMOs and Mobile games, I would like to know who makes the decisions about gameplay?

Not the 3D modlers, the animators, the producers or even Lyndsay, head of The Sims game this time< I want to know who gets to make the decision of oh, yes, we shouldn't add an ignore button because that wouldn't be in the spirit of this game? And who decided doctor's career should have check list? And who gets to say how a game and it's consequences are actually decided or played? When we know all that and who has the most influence and is the squeakiest wheel, then we will know why TS4 is the way it is...they rule.

I kind of feel this game was made in the spirit of console stories. I e played them and find a striking resemblance to the story modes, which I've never been fond of for the sims games.

However, even once you completed story mode and unlocked everything you wanted, you were free to play open-ended (your eay) without being dictated to again. I never played sims 3 on console. So I don't know if it was different. But I honestly don't recall anyone complaining about open-ended gameplay.

I must have missed those ones.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2017
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    I would be more interrested in who of the developers (not producers) dictate what type of game we will play. RPG or sandbox? Who is the loudest (gets their way the most) voice in the room? I know SimsGuruDaniel felt it was cheating (he remarked something similar) when he decided Never Weary shouldn't mean always never weary..but sometimes...but I would have argued the points of 1. You shouldn't tweak a reward they (fans) are already using and liking. And 2. Then change the name to Hardly Ever Weary. It seemed to be a sticking point that in this game Sims who were never weary would be a form of cheating. Knowing many, many of these developers hold more experience in RPG games and MMOs and Mobile games, I would like to know who makes the decisions about gameplay?

Not the 3D modlers, the animators, the producers or even Lyndsay, head of The Sims game this time< I want to know who gets to make the decision of oh, yes, we shouldn't add an ignore button because that wouldn't be in the spirit of this game? And who decided doctor's career should have check list? And who gets to say how a game and it's consequences are actually decided or played? When we know all that and who has the most influence and is the squeakiest wheel, then we will know why TS4 is the way it is...they rule.

I kind of feel this game was made in the spirit of console stories. I e played them and find a striking resemblance to the story modes, which I've never been fond of for the sims games.

However, even once you completed story mode and unlocked everything you wanted, you were free to play open-ended (your eay) without being dictated to again. I never played sims 3 on console. So I don't know if it was different. But I honestly don't recall anyone complaining about open-ended gameplay.

I must have missed those ones.

That's another good point, why do things not stay with a household (unlocked career rewards) if the household member dies, or moves? I don't like the mindset of it's not sandbox...it's a console or RPG game...all that stuff stayed on my lots in TS2 if I killed off everyone or moved everyone out. I just don't understand their thinking and why I'm asking who has more influence and if we know their backgrounds (and we do for most) then it's easier to understand why they don't understand sandbox open-ended gameplay.
    Sandbox-anyone on the lot could use my other Sim's stuff...they didn't need to be in that career, but in this game it's way too much like the RPG games I have played.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LordOfTendonsLordOfTendons Posts: 250 Member

I want to know who decided to give dates a checklist, and who decided to make the NPCs at romance festivals behave like philandering lunatics. Because I've got a checklist I'd like to send to them, and the first thing on it will be to get rid of the checklists and the lunatics.
  • worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
    @LordOfTendons

Oh yeah, don't even get me started on the way townies dress for festivals!

edited October 2017
    @SimGuruDrake @SimGuruNinja @SimGuruLyndsay

I remember seeing someone suggest tagging these Sim Gurus. It's worth a shot, I guess?
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Parenthood is the worst with them half the time I get one option what's the point... hate those annoying popups.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    How is an ignore button "cheating"? I'm not playing against anyone else, so its not cheating. This isn't Monoploy or WoW, after all!
    Besides, if this was really "cheating" to ignore a chance card, then there would be reprucussions for ignoring another Sim's invite to go out somewhere. I can literally just click "X" and ignore that one and the other Sim doesn't get mad or anything, so why can't we do this on a chance card. :/ I see no difference! Some might say, "It's more like real life if you are forced to make a decision", but if an adult calls a school-aged child out to a club in the middle of the night (on a school night, no less!) :# , THAT is supposed to be "more like real life"?!? If I'm going to pick only one "real-life" event of those two to have in my game, then I want the middle of the night phone calls to stop, especially the ones from adults to children, and not pick a forced choice with a chance card! :# Even more ridiculous is if you call another Sim after 10:00pm, they chew you out for waking them up, but its OK for them to call you at 2:47am to ask you if you want to go to a party at the Ruins?!? :o:|
    #BringBackTheIgnoreButton
    ;)

Home is where your Pugs are! <3
    edited October 2017
    @PugLove888

Not-So-Fun Fact: There actually is a negative repercussion if you ignore the welcome wagon or cancel it before they can be invited in. The Sims will say something along the lines of, "I guess we're not wanted here," and leave. Not only that, but your relationship will take a hit, putting it in the red. And fruitcake... Why do they HAVE to bring fruitcake if it just makes everyone uncomfortable? Thank goodness for the mod that disables the welcome wagon!
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    @PugLove888

Not-So-Fun Fact: There actually is a negative repercussion if you ignore the welcome wagon or cancel it before they can be invited in. The Sims will say something along the lines of, "I guess we're not wanted here," and leave. Not only that, but your relationship will take a hit, putting it in the red. And fruitcake... Why do they HAVE to bring fruitcake if it just makes everyone uncomfortable? Thank goodness for the mod that disables the welcome wagon!

I hate welcome wagon. I am usually trying to set up my family and I am really not interested about my neighbors at that point.
    @PugLove888

@worldofdrakan , Thanks for the info! I was really just talking about the phone calls in the middle of the night that I ignore, but it is nice to know that about the Welcome Wagon!
    However, actually some Sims love fruitcake, and it will give those Sims a happy moodlet! :) (I have no Mods or CC in my game). My problem with the fruitcake is that they usually put it back in their pants inventory before I can get a piece! :D Sometimes they leave it outside where I can't get to it, and sometimes they never bring it out at all! :s:'(
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    @PugLove888

I hate welcome wagon. I am usually trying to set up my family and I am really not interested about my neighbors at that point.

@BeJaWa , even though I usually try to greet the Welcome Wagon, I too get annoyed by them :s because I'm trying to get my Sims settled in as well! I prefer to use that day to focus on families, start early on kids/teens homework, work on toddler skills, search for jobs, etc. :*
    Maybe the should have configured the welcome wagon to show up on day 2, or 3. It probably wouldn’t hurt to request it.

Most people are busy setting up their families on day 1. I could see it being intrusive to show up right away like that. I generally get annoyed by any NCP or sim that shows up when I didn’t ask for them or invite them. I can see it being an annoyance.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    PugLove888 wrote: »
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    @PugLove888

@BeJaWa , even though I usually try to greet the Welcome Wagon, I too get annoyed by them :s because I'm trying to get my Sims settled in as well! I prefer to use that day to focus on families, start early on kids/teens homework, work on toddler skills, search for jobs, etc. :*

I always try to greet them because I feel bad being rude and getting all those negative relation ships but otherwise same thing.
    Maybe the should have configured the welcome wagon to show up on day 2, or 3. It probably wouldn’t hurt to request it.

Most people are busy setting up their families on day 1. I could see it being intrusive to show up right away like that. I generally get annoyed by any NCP or sim that shows up when I didn’t ask for them or invite them. I can see it being an annoyance.
    That would be very nice, good idea.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Consequences aren’t severe enough for me to want to read every single one. I just click on a random option and get back to playing. I just wish there was a way to disable them totally from even popping up. Kinda ruins my vibe.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Consequences aren’t severe enough for me to want to read every single one. I just click on a random option and get back to playing. I just wish there was a way to disable them totally from even popping up. Kinda ruins my vibe.

TBH. I do the same thing with all the messages in prior games too. They’re more of a nuisance and an interruption to the game I’m playing. I have opportunities suppressed on S3, but it still needs to feel like it has to tell me every little thing I couldn’t care less about, giving me more things to click on than I care to click on. I would go so far as to offer an option to disable chance cards entirely.

They have nothing to do with the way I play my game. I would assume I’m not alone in this as there’s no such thing as being entirely unique.
    Chazzzy wrote: »

TBH. I do the same thing with all the messages in prior games too. They’re more of a nuisance and an interruption to the game I’m playing. I have opportunities suppressed on S3, but it still needs to feel like it has to tell me every little thing I couldn’t care less about, giving me more things to click on than I care to click on. I would go so far as to offer an option to disable chance cards entirely.

They have nothing to do with the way I play my game. I would assume I’m not alone in this as there’s no such thing as being entirely unique.

I always thought it would be nice to include an option to enable/disable them in the gameplay options as well, especially since they felt the need to get rid of the ignore button for some reason.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    It was probably removed because no matter what you choose, the change is so incremental, sometimes, I can hardly notice.

I would love it if opportunities had more dire effects like demotions and being summarily fired. This game could sorely use the seasoning.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    edited November 2017
    Cynna wrote: »
    It was probably removed because no matter what you choose, the change is so incremental, sometimes, I can hardly notice.

I would love it if opportunities had more dire effects like demotions and being summarily fired. This game could sorely use the seasoning.

Ah yes, another complaint I've always had with TS4 chance cards. They're so repetitive and boring. This is another reason I wish we had the option to close or disable them. There aren't many potential cards, so it's very possible for a card you had one day to pop up again the very next day. It would be way more interesting if there were more potential cards and they had even better and potentially dire consequences like they had in TS2. You could get a raise, an instant cash bonus, or even an instant promotion. Conversely, you could get demoted or fired. Also, if they did that, it would make an even better case for the return of the ignore button.

Still, while bad chance cards aren't too much of a problem at early career levels, they can be a real pain at higher career levels when you're only working three days a week and with very few hours in a work day. A medium performance loss could mean an entire week's worth of work flushed down the drain at higher career levels.
    Post edited by worldofdrakan on
  • meme009meme009 Posts: 46 Member
    Agree, they are boring and repetitive and we should be allowed to disable them
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    Yeah. I've never been a fan of chance cards either. Kind of takes the whole, 'you rule,' out of commission.

Yes, but it can really throw a curve ball into your game. Sometimes having to 'roll with that punch' can make for a more interesting game.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SimzSizzleSimzSizzle Posts: 433 Member
    Know that this thread is kind of old but its the topic I'm after. People are saying devs think ignore is a form of cheating, but we are not playing their game, its our game. And for consequences of our choices we just have to live real life. Don't want my Sim to lose a job they worked hard to get to the top for because of a random choice I made. It's their life not mine so why am I being tested ?