Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Was the Ignore Button Removed From Chance Cards?

worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
edited October 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Seriously, why? You decided to bring back chance cards only to leave off one of the most important parts of them, the ignore button! Personally, I've never been a fan of chance cards. I'm just not the risk-taking type of person. Back in the days of TS2, I would click the ignore button just about every time a chance card popped up. That button really was a lifesaver! Then TS4 rolled around, and for whatever reason, they decided to remove the ignore button. It's completely baffling to me.

Seriously, without an ignore button, we're pretty much forced to make a choice on chance cards. There's no way to cancel out of it, you absolutely must make a choice. The worst part of all this is that BOTH choices have a chance of being the wrong choice most of the time. It especially gets grating at higher careers levels when you're only working like three days a week. One bad chance card could flush an entire week's worth of work down the drain! I often save throughout a Sims work day out of fear of a bad chance card so I can reload the game if I get one. It's a real pain having to do this.

So please consider bringing back the ignore button! Nothing of value would be lost by doing so. People who like chance cards will still have them, and people who don't like them will have the option to close them!

Comments

• kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Yeah. I've never been a fan of chance cards either. Kind of takes the whole, 'you rule,' out of commission.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    I find most of the chance cards in this version have a "right" choice that always ends well for you and another choice that only sometimes works well depending on the skills you have. So I haven't noticed this equal chance of being wrong. Not that I have done extensive testing to see.

Either way an ignore button would be a nice addition.
  • worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
    edited October 2017
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    I find most of the chance cards in this version have a "right" choice that always ends well for you and another choice that only sometimes works well depending on the skills you have. So I haven't noticed this equal chance of being wrong. Not that I have done extensive testing to see.

Yeah, I guess we'll never truly know what the odds are unless they're officially confirmed. I have tested this with a few chance cards, however. One of them is a card that you can get in the culinary career where a customer is really juiced and asks for another drink, and you have the option to give them their drink or say they've had enough. The first time I picked the latter option, the boss sided with me and I got a performance boost. This exact same card came up the very next day. Logically, since the option I picked the last time worked, I picked it again... Except this time the boss sided with the customer and I got a performance loss. Um, what? It was correct the first time!

The same thing happened with a chance card in the astronaut career where you find a mysterious box and have the option to either open it or turn it in. The first time I chose to turn it in, it was the correct choice, but the next time I got this chance card and picked the same option, I was chewed out for asking too many questions.

This brings me to another problem with the chance cards. There isn't much variety, and they get really repetitive.
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    With the chance cards there is one option that will be right more often, so option one could be correct 80% of the time and wrong 20% of the time while option 2 could be right 20% of the time and wrong 80%. I suppose that's to stop it getting boring as you would otherwise eventually learn which one to select and there wouldn't be any risk. But yes they could add an ignore option for those that don't want to take a chance.
    BeJaWa wrote: »

Yeah, I guess we'll never truly know what the odds are unless they're officially confirmed. I have tested this with a few chance cards, however. One of them is a card that you can get in the culinary career where a customer is really juiced and asks for another drink, and you have the option to give them their drink or say they've had enough. The first time I picked the latter option, the boss sided with me and I got a performance boost. This exact same card came up the very next day. Logically, since the option I picked the last time worked, I picked it again... Except this time the boss sided with the customer and I got a performance loss. Um, what? It was correct the first time!

The same thing happened with a chance card in the astronaut career where you find a mysterious box and have the option to either open it or turn it in. The first time I chose to turn it in, it was the correct choice, but the next time I got this chance card and picked the same option, I was chewed out for asking too many questions.

This brings me to another problem with the chance cards. There isn't much variety, and they get really repetitive.

I remember the juice one in the culinary career. You right that one doesn't fit my theory above I remember getting annoyed by it because of that. I often only get chance cards from school for kids because my adults paint and write from home.
    That's exactly why I prefer active careers and careers where you work from home as opposed to other careers. You can't get chance cards when you're working from home or attending an active work day. I really hope that one day we might be able to work from home in other careers, too.

Speaking of school chance cards, I know some of them can be downright cruel. There's one where you can have your kid confess to making a mistake on their test, and the teacher will get onto them and hold them in during recess to do it over, ruining the poor kid's day in the process. Seriously, all this over an honest mistake! Come on, they're just a kid! I really wish my Sim parents had the option to give that teacher what for.

And there's also another one, something about forgetting to do an assignment, I think? The teacher gives them an F, and I quote, "with glee." Yeah, I can understand the F, but taking actual joy in failing the child? That's just too much!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2017
    Because to these devs 'ignore' is a form of cheating. It's a culture mindset of rpg game developers.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    That's exactly why I prefer active careers and careers where you work from home as opposed to other careers. You can't get chance cards when you're working from home or attending an active work day. I really hope that one day we might be able to work from home in other careers, too.

Speaking of school chance cards, I know some of them can be downright cruel. There's one where you can have your kid confess to making a mistake on their test, and the teacher will get onto them and hold them in during recess to do it over, ruining the poor kid's day in the process. Seriously, all this over an honest mistake! Come on, they're just a kid! I really wish my Sim parents had the option to give that teacher what for.

And there's also another one, something about forgetting to do an assignment, I think? The teacher gives them an F, and I quote, "with glee." Yeah, I can understand the F, but taking actual joy in failing the child? That's just too much!

Yeah but remember in this world if a Sims kid fails school they die, so I just think maybe these sims don't really like kids.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Because to these devs 'ignore' is a form of cheating. It's a cutlure mindset of rpg game developers.

Seriously, devs? You were okay with the ignore button back in TS2. What changed? And like @kremesch73 said, whatever happend to 'you rule?'

• MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Because to these devs 'ignore' is a form of cheating. It's a cutlure mindset of rpg game developers.

Seriously, devs? You were okay with the ignore button back in TS2. What changed? And like @kremesch73 said, whatever happend to 'you rule?'
    The point still stands, since simply ignoring a decision is technically cheating.
  • YellebYelleb Posts: 156 Member
    To be fair, a lot of people find that The Sims 4 isn't challenging enough and are annoyed because nothing bad ever happens unless you go out of your way to make it happen yourself.

I don't know if you've played previous iterations of The Sims, but back in the day, a lot of things happened that were out of the player's control during gameplay. Meteorites could fall from the sky and kill your Sims! Chance cards had actual consequences: your Sims could lose several skill points, get demoted or even lose their job! Or, if you got lucky, they could get promoted.

The worst thing that can happen to your Sim in The Sims 4 when you make a bad choice on a chance card is either a slight performance loss at work or a negative moodlet. They can't lose skill points, get demoted or get fired. Personally, I don't think that's severe enough to justify the need for an "Ignore" button.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I don't mind the possibility for failure, but the Sims 4 chance cards are often terribly worded and sometimes downright insulting. That goes for the rocketship cards as well as the school events and the new parenthood volunteering cards.

Example:
    My teen sim Abel noticed that cake sales during charity sale were slow, so he decided to take pictures of the goods and promote the sale in the internet. His father was a professional blogger, so I figured this idea was in character for Abel, trying to emulate dad and so on. The plan backfired, Abel had overestimated his internet presence as the chance card told me. On top of that the superior scolded Abel for "playing with his phone" during work. Understandably, as she had only seen him using the phone and was unaware of what the boy had really done. Until that point everything was well. I liked the short scene because it fit this particular sim so well.
    But then the game docked Abel responsibility points. Okay, this is debateable. As his parent I'd say trying to push sales was a very responsibible thing to do, as it shows involvement in a job beyond doing what the kid was told and also demonstrates that Abel cared about the sale's success. But let's say he was irresponsible in not telling his superior what he planned and in not asking permission first. Now the REAL infuriating thing is that the chance card was phrased "Abel lost Responsibility for playing with his phone". It wasn't the dialogue of the superior (who didn't know better), but actual narrator text (who should know better!). I find this profoundly unfair towards the player, because the game knows what my sim had wanted to accomplish and that he hadn't been playing. "Abel lost Responsibility points for misjudging his online influence/social networking skills" or "for acting on an impulse" would have described the matter more precise.

Oftentimes I wished there wish there was an actual school with actual teachers and classmates that I could drown in swimming pools or at least visit with my adult sims to complain about unfair treatment of their children. So for the sake of my blood pressure I'd very much welcome an ignore button.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited October 2017
    Yelleb wrote: »
    To be fair, a lot of people find that The Sims 4 isn't challenging enough and are annoyed because nothing bad ever happens unless you go out of your way to make it happen yourself.
    Oh, we do like the word "options" whenever we talk about a feature, which I think it's better to add here as a good solution, as this would make it a "win-win" situation.

We had the third button called by the word "ignore" in TS2, which nobody complained about that it was featured in the game. So what If the developers add it back? Nobody has anything to lose. Those who want challenges who would still have it, and those who don't - will choose not to.

Also, another argument to add: What if the universe is against the player and the odds always end up bad. Imagine having to take the same job forth time for your sim If TS2 didn't had "IGNORE" option, because the generated outcome always proceed to fire the sim when the player was picking the risky choice from the card game.

I'm all in for that button to return, as I support the OP's suggestion :) There's really no reason or fuss to deny/reject it, because it wouldn't shove it in the throats for players who are only pick penalty-free or reward-free consequences depending on the player, the choices on the chance card they take. :)

NNpYlHF.jpg
  • KarallyneKarallyne Posts: 362 Member
    i don't know if you have a job or not, but when a situation pops up at my work I don't have the option to just ignore it. I'd probably be on the streets if I did!
  • YellebYelleb Posts: 156 Member
    Oh, we do like the word "options" whenever we talk about a feature, which I think it's better to add here as a good solution, as this would make it a "win-win" situation.

We had the third button called by the word "ignore" in TS2, which nobody complained about that it was featured in the game. So what If the developers add it back? Nobody has anything to lose. Those who want challenges who would still have it, and those who don't - will choose not to.

Also, another argument to add: What if the universe is against the player and the odds always end up bad. Imagine having to take the same job forth time for your sim If TS2 didn't had "IGNORE" option, because the generated outcome always proceed to fire the sim when the player was picking the risky choice from the card game.

I'm all in for that button to return, as I support the OP's suggestion :) There's really no reason or fuss to deny/reject it, because it wouldn't shove it in the throats for players who are only pick penalty-free or reward-free consequences depending on the player, the choices on the chance card they take. :)

That was my whole argument. Things like that happened in The Sims 2, but they don't in The Sims 4. Your Sim is never gonna lose their job, you're never gonna have to start the whole career over four times because of bad chance cards... because the only possible outcomes are a slight performance loss or a negative moodlet that goes away after a few hours. There are no horrible consequences, only very mild ones.

But, by all means, if that really bothers you, go ahead and ask for the option to "Ignore" to be added back in the game. I'm not "fussing" over it, like you said. Just because I personally think it's unecessary doesn't mean that I'm rejecting it and saying that it needs to absolutely never be added to the game under any circumstances.
    edited October 2017
    I don't mind the possibility for failure, but the Sims 4 chance cards are often terribly worded and sometimes downright insulting. That goes for the rocketship cards as well as the school events and the new parenthood volunteering cards.

Example:
    My teen sim Abel noticed that cake sales during charity sale were slow, so he decided to take pictures of the goods and promote the sale in the internet. His father was a professional blogger, so I figured this idea was in character for Abel, trying to emulate dad and so on. The plan backfired, Abel had overestimated his internet presence as the chance card told me. On top of that the superior scolded Abel for "playing with his phone" during work. Understandably, as she had only seen him using the phone and was unaware of what the boy had really done. Until that point everything was well. I liked the short scene because it fit this particular sim so well.
    But then the game docked Abel responsibility points. Okay, this is debateable. As his parent I'd say trying to push sales was a very responsibible thing to do, as it shows involvement in a job beyond doing what the kid was told and also demonstrates that Abel cared about the sale's success. But let's say he was irresponsible in not telling his superior what he planned and in not asking permission first. Now the REAL infuriating thing is that the chance card was phrased "Abel lost Responsibility for playing with his phone". It wasn't the dialogue of the superior (who didn't know better), but actual narrator text (who should know better!). I find this profoundly unfair towards the player, because the game knows what my sim had wanted to accomplish and that he hadn't been playing. "Abel lost Responsibility points for misjudging his online influence/social networking skills" or "for acting on an impulse" would have described the matter more precise.

Oftentimes I wished there wish there was an actual school with actual teachers and classmates that I could drown in swimming pools or at least visit with my adult sims to complain about unfair treatment of their children. So for the sake of my blood pressure I'd very much welcome an ignore button.

Oh gosh, I know exactly what you're saying. For example, there's an extremely notorious school chance card where your kid makes a mistake on their test and has the option to either tell the teacher or just turn it in. It's one of those cards, too. The choice to turn it in is risky. Either the teacher will be okay with the mistake, or forces your child to stay in during recess to do the test over, making the child angry. The choice to just turn it in, however, is ALWAYS wrong. It's also just wrong, if I might add. The teacher singles the poor kid out and gives them extra homework. And there's also another school card where, in the wrong choice, the teacher hands your kid an F, and I quote, "with glee." Not cool! Where is this teacher so I can drown her or slowly starve her in a 1x1 room until she dies in a puddle of her own pee?

I remember someone bringing up space chance cards, too, but I can't remember if it was for rocket ship adventures or the astronaut career. They said the same thing you said, though, that the card will outright insult the player for trying to "play it safe." Again, totally not cool! This makes me really sad that Chillgood's less risky card mod has become forever broken and unusable.

And thank you @DragonCat159 . My point exactly! All the ignore button does is close the chance card without any negative or positive consequence to your Sim. I don't think that anything of value would be lost by reintroducing the ignore button to chance cards. People who like taking chances will still have that option, and those who don't can just click the handy dandy ignore button.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited October 2017
    Yelleb wrote: »

That was my whole argument. Things like that happened in The Sims 2, but they don't in The Sims 4. Your Sim is never gonna lose their job, you're never gonna have to start the whole career over four times because of bad chance cards... because the only possible outcomes are a slight performance loss or a negative moodlet that goes away after a few hours. There are no horrible consequences, only very mild ones.

But, by all means, if that really bothers you, go ahead and ask for the option to "Ignore" to be added back in the game. I'm not "fussing" over it, like you said. Just because I personally think it's unecessary doesn't mean that I'm rejecting it and saying that it needs to absolutely never be added to the game under any circumstances.

I just reminded that The Sims 2 had ignore option. Yes, your sim could be for instance fired If the odds were against you, but in that game you could always opt out of the game by just clicking it and skipping the good opportunies or the risks. I think TS2 handled it well. Meteors falling down is another talk: Apples != Oranges. That's like force upon you (though I personally wouldn't want If it were yet again implanted to be a rarity as an event), ignore button is just an optional way to skip risks out but at the same time it's balance so your sim aren't rewarded for anything either. Pretty much like betting: you either bet to win or lose, or don't bet.

I guess I see your point as to why it to be unnecessity. Though If does make that other group happy that's barely affects the another one, I wouldn't personally mind it and would just be glad :)
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    Why Was the Ignore Button Removed From Chance Cards?

it was removed because there are just too many sims players still happy with TS4 :trollface:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I like how you have to choose. That's how it is in the real world plus the consequences are usually minor.
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    Just imagine if choosing "Ignore" would also have a possibility of a consequence.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited October 2017
    Ignore had consequences too (at least in ts2) so it doesnt really matter.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I would like them to add an 'ignore' or 'cancel' option on chance cards. Sometimes none of the options will suit my Sims' personality and it annoys me when the game dictates things like that to me. Also, sometimes I might just be focusing on something else or another Sim in the household, and the pop up might be a nuisance at that time, in which case a simple click to ignore it would be useful.

I understand some people like being forced to choose, but others don't, and the game should cater to everyone where possible. You can ignore an ignore button and still make a choice if you want to. But it's not right that others should be forced to use a feature they may not like.
    edited October 2017
    I would like them to add an 'ignore' or 'cancel' option on chance cards. Sometimes none of the options will suit my Sims' personality and it annoys me when the game dictates things like that to me. Also, sometimes I might just be focusing on something else or another Sim in the household, and the pop up might be a nuisance at that time, in which case a simple click to ignore it would be useful.

I understand some people like being forced to choose, but others don't, and the game should cater to everyone where possible. You can ignore an ignore button and still make a choice if you want to. But it's not right that others should be forced to use a feature they may not like.

Oh yes, that is another excellent point. I remember many a time I've been doing something tedious like taking care of a toddler or multiple children, only for a chance card to pop up and interrupt me. The gameplay pauses and won't resume until you make a choice on the card, you have to read through the whole thing. It's situations like this that would also make an ignore button ideal.

And the point about choices not reflecting a Sim's personality reminds me of another card that has always bothered me. There's one card that pops up really on early in the Critic career where you bump into another delivery Sim and papers go flying everywhere.You have the choice to leave some deliveries unfinished or steal some of the other delivery Sim's papers. Take a wild guess as to which choice is the correct option. Yup, you have to steal another poor delivery Sim's papers to avoid a performance loss. Picking the nice option results in your Sim getting yelled at by their boss.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited October 2017
    Ignore had consequences too (at least in ts2) so it doesnt really matter.

It only has consequences if you're playing a pre-made family. Some of them (or all?) are hard-coded before you even start the family. I only play my own sims and there are no consequences for hitting ignore. Never ran into a consequence, ever. I play to create my own stories. If I want a game that dictates my every move, I would play something else, which I do. The Sims is the only game I don't like being dictated to because I had way more freedom in the past to play 'my way.' Now it's 'their' way.

There is no harm in asking for an ignore button. It's just an extra option. I have no idea why it's such a big issue if it's not going to remove the original options.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2017
    I would be more interrested in who of the developers (not producers) dictate what type of game we will play. RPG or sandbox? Who is the loudest (gets their way the most) voice in the room? I know SimsGuruDaniel felt it was cheating (he remarked something similar) when he decided Never Weary shouldn't mean always never weary..but sometimes...but I would have argued the points of 1. You shouldn't tweak a reward they (fans) are already using and liking. And 2. Then change the name to Hardly Ever Weary. It seemed to be a sticking point that in this game Sims who were never weary would be a form of cheating. Knowing many, many of these developers hold more experience in RPG games and MMOs and Mobile games, I would like to know who makes the decisions about gameplay?

Not the 3D modlers, the animators, the producers or even Lyndsay, head of The Sims game this time< I want to know who gets to make the decision of oh, yes, we shouldn't add an ignore button because that wouldn't be in the spirit of this game? And who decided doctor's career should have check list? And who gets to say how a game and it's consequences are actually decided or played? When we know all that and who has the most influence and is the squeakiest wheel, then we will know why TS4 is the way it is...they rule.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.