Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Haunted Lot Trait Not Scarey Enough!

2...Next

Comments

• JackieGoOutsideJackieGoOutside Posts: 33 Member
    I would really like this! Honestly, I think ghosts in Sims 4 need to be retooled overall but having a improved Haunted or Spooky Trait would be really nice.
  • morrgassemorrgasse Posts: 3 New Member
    how do i get the haunted house trait? i have spooky stuff but no trait
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    @morrgasse It's from the City Living expansion pack. Weird choice to put it in there when spooky stuff exists, I know.
  • morrgassemorrgasse Posts: 3 New Member
    tysm just got spooky stuff refunded
  • RomzarahRomzarah Posts: 195 Member
    I like having a ghost as a family friend..
  • worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
    These are some really cool ideas! It would be super fun to play an actual scary haunted house!
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited October 2017
    Romzarah wrote: »
    I like having a ghost as a family friend..
    @Romzarah I like having a ghost as a family member.

But they only get randomly generated naturally during ghost night at the bar. So I rarely get to do that. A haunted lot that doesn't have inhabitants could maybe get a ghost family moving into it after a week of being empty.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Have yet to see a ghost of any kind, and have three (or is it 4?) lots with the haunted trait. Have come to the conclusion that it does not work.
  • SimalleyaileSimalleyaile Posts: 865 Member
    Have yet to see a ghost of any kind, and have three (or is it 4?) lots with the haunted trait. Have come to the conclusion that it does not work.

Since Seasons, I haven't seen ghosts at my haunted lots either. And I made a few for my neighbourhoods to haunt my venues (I thought giving them mean and evil traits might make they less friendly).
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    I mean, yeah, this would be great. But we'd need a fear emotion for it do to anything to the sims
    A year hath come and gone, and still nothing. Definitely a broken item. What else is new?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    A year hath come and gone, and still nothing. Definitely a broken item. What else is new?

Actually the lot with the haunted trait does have a ghost. My sim was visiting their friend that lives on that lot and has seen the ghost - a female ghost now and then. My sim looked briefly startled the first time it happened but not really afraid at all and just went about the visit as normal. Obviously sims need fear behaviors of some kind - so it makes even having a haunted building rather useless. Also the ghost appearance is rare as my sim has visited several times and does not see the ghost much. I think she has seen her twice in maybe 10 visits - there.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Yeah. Ghosts aren't scary enough and that lot trait doesn't work half the time. It's frustrating really.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Eh, I dunno. Personally, if I used the trait, it'd be to have more control on where ghosts spawn. Like the teen hangout trait makes more teens spawn and walk by, to give your own teen a chance to meet others or whatever. If you've got a ghost friend that you want to friend and add to your house, being on a lot with the haunted trait means they're more likely to show up more often.

I guess it'd be nice to have more of an atmospheric effect, but I wouldn't want it to get too crazy either, as that's not what I'd be using it for most of the time.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I agree about the "Haunted" lot trait. Why can't they make it extreme and noticeable. The "Quake Zone" trait is another letdown. It doesn't even make an earthquake rumble on the rare chance you even get one. I really am confused about the developers' choices to make these traits barely noticeable!
  • simbreeamaazingsimbreeamaazing Posts: 16 Member
    What does the "haunted" lot trait even do? Is it just that ghosts show up?

I wonder if the zombie or werewolf mod has spooky lot traits...hmm...
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I think the earthquake lot trait needs a revamp as well. I feel like it’s the most useless one.
    To elaborate a little on my prior sparse comments: As an experiment I put a sim into the haunted apartment and flagged to regular houses as haunted. All have resident sims so there should be ample opportunity to see a ghost. Nope. There is more ghost action in the yards of the Goths and old lady Specter in TS2 than in the TS4 'haunted' lots.
    j2ylEBe.jpg

My ghosts are alive and kicking - or should that be dead and floating :D - in the public areas around Ghost night and some holidays I've made with the Spooky tradition, but none of them are coming INTO the lots with the haunted trait the way they used to before Seasons. Perhaps it's a bug ... perhaps its because they're working on revamping the trait? Maybe we'll get a new spooky trait when ghosts are revamped and fear is added to the game ... maybe when they release another supernatural pack?
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Actually the lot with the haunted trait does have a ghost. My sim was visiting their friend that lives on that lot and has seen the ghost - a female ghost now and then. My sim looked briefly startled the first time it happened but not really afraid at all and just went about the visit as normal. Obviously sims need fear behaviors of some kind - so it makes even having a haunted building rather useless. Also the ghost appearance is rare as my sim has visited several times and does not see the ghost much. I think she has seen her twice in maybe 10 visits - there.

Yes, the one at Windenburg had been programmed for the two ghosts to "haunt" that lot no matter what you change it to. Mine is now a park, and Mimsy and Bernhard are there all the time.
    zlbAC5m.jpg
    What does the "haunted" lot trait even do? Is it just that ghosts show up?

I wonder if the zombie or werewolf mod has spooky lot traits...hmm...

It's supposed to call ghosts you have in your game to the lot, like in this picture. This was my nightclub with the haunted lot trait. Before Seasons, it worked well in my game, I just wanted my haunted lots to be a bit scarier.
    EH5Nyb8.jpg
    That's Bernhard from the Van Haunt Estate in Windenburg. Before Seasons, ghosts would turn up and "possess" items that would make them float, and sometimes break. You can talk and interact with the ghosts and make friends - or enemies with them.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I miss the ghosts of the sims 2. It would be nice to have that option again to not only be able to communicate with them like you can now, but you can also be scared to death by them like the sims 2. I remember, while playng in Strangetown, when Ophelia was living at the Spector property she could barely eat, sleep and bathe because of the spirits there. That's what I miss.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Kali_DurgaKali_Durga Posts: 197 Member
    1 year later and haunted lots still are garbage! oof
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    Only just found this thread and sweet Father Winter! I am hooked on these ideas!

I pray EA adds them in the near future! All of them!
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    Sorry to spam with comments but having a little thought about spooky ways to improve the haunted lot trait, I bring up the sims 1, cannot remember if it was the PC or console version, but I have fond memories of being scared to death by the creepy noises and music coming from the Goth mansion when you first meet Bella and help with ridding her of pesky ghosts, where you have to get this and that and find ways to send them on their merry way while being petrified throughout the whole ordeal so much you have to play with the volume off.

Yes I was a child, and since then I've gone from hiding under the bed (literally) to laughing through the reboot of IT and speed running horror games, however, a little while ago I saw a play-through of that moment and felt the familiar tingles down my spine, at first i wondered why it still shook me, but then it clicked, that quest checked all the boxes for classic scary movies, it got you with the decor, the fog and smoke and bumps in the night, with the ghosts and subtlety of a real haunting and yes back in the day, EA knew how to freak simmers out, I bring attention to the creepy burglar music and ghosts in general.

That is what sims 4 needs to make haunted lots better, that subtle fear induction which starts as a bump here and there, a giggle in one of the players headphones, one sided to fool them into wondering if it's within the game or beside them, along with their sim feeling tense with a "What was that?" moodlet which gradually manifests into a scared to death mood which could actually kill them should they choose to stay inside rather than run as far as possible out of the house.

If they have a pet then an unseen entity can play with them or draw their attention, and as we can't control pets or even see their profile needs, it puts that lack of ability to use because you can't see what they see.

Babies and toddlers could be affected also, except with toddlers, they see a faint outline of a ghost rather than a full view, sort of like a foggy shape that can either scare them or make them feel safe, depending on the ghost.

Should they ever introduce witches, this could be a perfect opportunity to have them detect danger or a lost spirit, help cleanse a home, send someone to the afterlife or deliver a message to a living lover or relative, maybe even fight the presence after detecting a "demonic force".

Children could treat the ghost as an imaginary friend and see them as the toddler does unless the ghost is someone from their household who has died, say a grandparent and so on, again with the fear or watched over feeling detailing if you should worry or not.

Ghosts have the ability to be evil, good, neutral or demonic, lost, vengeful, unable to let go or simply refusing to go due to issues they had in life, and each reason could have a different set of telltale signs announcing their presence.

As you assume, how they show themselves would involve all manner of things, from doors slamming to giggles in the middle of the night, dogs barking, cats hissing and the like, babies laughing or crying as they roam the halls aimlessly, some ghosts even moaning due to being unable to cross over.

Again, sorry for the spam but seeing this just got my brain whirling and with the memories of Goth manor, I had to add my two cents in.

Obviously the way sims 4 is, this is all a long shot in the dark with a cheap plastic toy gun and a lopsided sim pulling the trigger, however, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
    @Godleyjeans - you've given EA lots of great ideas. When brainstorming ideas, I always go with the better to have too many than not enough, so no need to apologise, 'spam' away! You scared me, I was getting the creeps just reading your ideas. B)