Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need advice on buying a new desktop for sims 4

Comments

• funkeeferretfunkeeferret Posts: 415 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Monitor speakers are terrible quality, even compared to mid-quality external speakers. Not only are they low quality, they tend to be made with cheap components and break far more readily - taking the screen with them, as often as not. They drive up the price of the screen, their volume isn't wide-ranging either. In a flat-screen device, there simply isn't room for the components required to produce good sound.

You can get reasonable quality monitor speakers, but they're often with hideously expensive monitors, and are still inferior.

You know, I honestly didn't know it was actually better to buy speakers separately. I've always had internal monitor speakers. I definitely learned from this experience and am so glad @chesterbigbird told me not to take back the monitor and just go ahead and get the speakers. I'm almost shocked at how little I know about all this. Lol.

• chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Monitor speakers are terrible quality, even compared to mid-quality external speakers. Not only are they low quality, they tend to be made with cheap components and break far more readily - taking the screen with them, as often as not. They drive up the price of the screen, their volume isn't wide-ranging either. In a flat-screen device, there simply isn't room for the components required to produce good sound.

You can get reasonable quality monitor speakers, but they're often with hideously expensive monitors, and are still inferior.

You know, I honestly didn't know it was actually better to buy speakers separately. I've always had internal monitor speakers. I definitely learned from this experience and am so glad @chesterbigbird told me not to take back the monitor and just go ahead and get the speakers. I'm almost shocked at how little I know about all this. Lol.

Really it depends on what the pc is being used for.. some find internal monitor speakers fine for everyday use and some people just use headsets. Some people simply do not have space for speakers.
    Monitor speakers are similar to laptop speakers.
    There are sooo many types of speakers available and even wireless ones, So it does make it hard for people to choose LOL.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

QueenMercy wrote: »

It's not the best, You really need to be looking at a quad core processor the intel core i3 is a dual core.
    It will play the game but will suffer from some lag.
    Do you have a particular budget? i can help you look for something if you like
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member

It's not the best, You really need to be looking at a quad core processor the intel core i3 is a dual core.

I was mostly just looking at it because they let you pay stuff off over time. I’ve been saving a little money, but it’ll be a while before I can afford even a cheaper pc in one go (I only have about $200 saved up right now.) I’ve been looking at Staples.ca, but I don’t know how long it’ll take before I can afford anything. The twelve percent tax doesn’t help either.
    edited October 2017

I was mostly just looking at it because they let you pay stuff off over time. I’ve been saving a little money, but it’ll be a while before I can afford even a cheaper pc in one go (I only have about $200 saved up right now.) I’ve been looking at Staples.ca, but I don’t know how long it’ll take before I can afford anything. The twelve percent tax doesn’t help either.

Unfortunately i would skip on the one you linked.
    Not only is the cpu low end buy the case is also very small and restricting and has not much ventilation.
    So even if you could upgrade it, it will be hard because of the small form factor.
    Is there anywhere else you can find that will let you pay it off?
    I believe bestbuy and canada computers do financing. if they are options for you?
    https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/bbycard.aspx
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/financing_options.php?language=en

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member

Not only is the cpu low end buy the case is also very small and restricting and has not much ventilation.
    So even if you could upgrade it, it will be hard because of the small form factor.
    I believe bestbuy and canada computers do financing. if they are options for you?

Then I won’t bother with that one. Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, I live in a fairly small BC town, and the closest best buy is over 200 kilometres away, according to their store locator. And Canada Computers are apparently only in Toronto, Quebec, and Ontario. Small towns suck.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

Then I won’t bother with that one. Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, I live in a fairly small BC town, and the closest best buy is over 200 kilometres away, according to their store locator. And Canada Computers are apparently only in Toronto, Quebec, and Ontario. Small towns suck.

Try NCIX.com or Newegg Canada
  • EckoEcko Posts: 9 New Member
    I also need advice buying my new computer.

My budget is 1,500$ - 3,000$
    I am planning to have tons of sims 4 cc, and all packs.
    I want to play sims 4 in best quality.
    I also want to record at the same time, and make quality videos.
    Besides sims 4 I also want to play "Overwatch".
    I want the computer to have lots of space, because I will be making videos/editing.

Thank you
    Ecko wrote: »
    I also need advice buying my new computer.

My budget is 1,500$ - 3,000$
    I am planning to have tons of sims 4 cc, and all packs.
    I want to play sims 4 in best quality.
    I also want to record at the same time, and make quality videos.
    Besides sims 4 I also want to play "Overwatch".
    I want the computer to have lots of space, because I will be making videos/editing.

Thank you

What country? Here is the USA we don't put dollar signs in the back of money amount. Also you just claimed you bought a Mac to run this game not to long ago. Your buying a PC also?
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > Ecko wrote: »
    >
    > I also need advice buying my new computer.
    >
    > My budget is 1,500$ - 3,000$
    > I am planning to have tons of sims 4 cc, and all packs.
    > I want to play sims 4 in best quality.
    > I also want to record at the same time, and make quality videos.
    > Besides sims 4 I also want to play "Overwatch".
    > I want the computer to have lots of space, because I will be making videos/editing.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What country? Here is the USA we don't put dollar signs in the back of money amount. Also you just claimed you bought a Mac to run this game not to long ago. Your buying a PC also?

Oh I am so sorry, I live in the usa. Yes I bought a macbook, but that was more for school.
    Ecko wrote: »
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    > I also need advice buying my new computer.
    >
    > My budget is 1,500$ - 3,000$
    > I am planning to have tons of sims 4 cc, and all packs.
    > I want to play sims 4 in best quality.
    > I also want to record at the same time, and make quality videos.
    > Besides sims 4 I also want to play "Overwatch".
    > I want the computer to have lots of space, because I will be making videos/editing.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What country? Here is the USA we don't put dollar signs in the back of money amount. Also you just claimed you bought a Mac to run this game not to long ago. Your buying a PC also?

Oh I am so sorry, I live in the usa. Yes I bought a macbook, but that was more for school.

Your wanting desktop? Custom is the best way to go where you pick out your own hardware. @chesterbigbird can help you with that
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    >
    > > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > > Ecko wrote: »
    > >
    > > I also need advice buying my new computer.
    > >
    > > My budget is 1,500$ - 3,000$
    > > I am planning to have tons of sims 4 cc, and all packs.
    > > I want to play sims 4 in best quality.
    > > I also want to record at the same time, and make quality videos.
    > > Besides sims 4 I also want to play "Overwatch".
    > > I want the computer to have lots of space, because I will be making videos/editing.
    > >
    > > Thank you
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > What country? Here is the USA we don't put dollar signs in the back of money amount. Also you just claimed you bought a Mac to run this game not to long ago. Your buying a PC also?
    >
    > Oh I am so sorry, I live in the usa. Yes I bought a macbook, but that was more for school.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Your wanting desktop? Custom is the best way to go where you pick out your own hardware. @chesterbigbird can help you with that

No thank you, I'd rather buy a already made one.
    @Ecko
    If you are recording and editing then i strongly suggest getting the intel core i7 8700 and not the i7 7700K. It has more cores so will be much better at recording editing and gaming. They do have a wait time though because they are new and not readily available yet.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230269
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230275

If you cannot wait a couple of weeks then i would go with AMD Ryzen instead
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230199
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAPK6DJ8652
    Do not get the i7 7700K.. it's not a very good investment considering the newer stuff is out.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• NilanayNilanay Posts: 1 New Member
    > @funkeeferret said:
    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > I'm hoping someone will be able to help me find a new desktop computer to buy. Any help would be most appreciated. :)
    >
    > Looking for a desktop. We live in the USA. We would like to spend around $800 - $900 or so.
    >
    > EDITED to add that I realized this morning that we paid more than this for our last two computers. I do not know what the average price is for a desk top that will play sims 4. I don't need a top notch computer but I don't want a budget one either. Can you suggest a median price? We would be willing to go a little higher if it means we are too low right now. Sorry for not realizing this before my original post.
    >
    > We are ready to buy now.
    > We do not know much about buying computers for sims 4. I have read up a bit here on what to look for but we probably won't want to open up a modem and add something later, like memory, unless we can get someone we know to do it, lol.
    >
    > Main use of computer: basic computer stuff, we take lots of family photos, plus I want to play sims 3 (I use sims 3 discs to play on the desktop) and two people in the family would want to play sims 4 (which we will eventually buy). We do not play any other computer games and do not plan to. Sims is it.
    >
    > I need to be able to plug in an Ethernet cord for my internet. We have other wifi devices connected to this Ethernet account - iPads, cell phones, laptops. I need about 4 or 5 USB outlets for things like my keyboard, printer, external hard drive, mouse. Two of these slots are on my present monitor but I will not be using this particular monitor much longer (see below). I also need to have a disc thing to play my sims 3 discs. That's important.
    >
    > I do not desperately need a new keyboard and mouse but if they came with the computer that would be great. I do not need to buy a monitor at the same time as the computer because I plan on buying a new monitor separately this week or so with the help of a gift card that I have and want to keep that purchase seperate.
    >
    > Whew, so if you got through all this, thank you! If I missed anything, let me know.
    >
    > I really appreciate your help and expertise. :)
    >
    > Update: thank you so much for all your help, @chesterbigbird and @phoebebebe13 . I really appreciate it!

I hate to revive an old post but I can not seem to PM and get my answer directly, I believe because I am considered a "new member". Anyway, I am in the exact same boat as Funkeeferret and am looking for a desktop PC to play Sims 4. I live in the US and have the same price range. I do have to connect to the internet via Wifi which I believe is possible with a desktop nowadays...

@funkeeferret, I am curious what PC you ended up getting and how it was faring so far? Looking to purchase sometime soon.

Thanks!
    @Nilanay
    I will send you a PM :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Hi,

Looking for advice. I'm planning to buy a new desktop. I do not play any other computer games besides The Sims. Other than that, basic computer usage, nothing specific, maybe some engineering programs (Mathcad, Autocad etc.)

I've found two possible computers:

Intel Core i5-6400/ 8 GB / SSD 240 GB / HDD 1 TB / GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB

or

AMD RYZEN X4 R3-1200 / 8GB / HDD 1TB / GeForce GTX 1050 4GB

As I understand, they are very similar, different processors, the first one has SSD. Which one would you prefer?
    Meriii wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for advice. I'm planning to buy a new desktop. I do not play any other computer games besides The Sims. Other than that, basic computer usage, nothing specific, maybe some engineering programs (Mathcad, Autocad etc.)

I've found two possible computers:

Intel Core i5-6400/ 8 GB / SSD 240 GB / HDD 1 TB / GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB

or

AMD RYZEN X4 R3-1200 / 8GB / HDD 1TB / GeForce GTX 1050 4GB

As I understand, they are very similar, different processors, the first one has SSD. Which one would you prefer?

The first computer specs would be better. With desktop make sure you at least have a 400-500 or more watt power supply. Make sure the case has good cooling and room for upgrades. @chesterbigbird can help you if you give her your budget and country.
  • Hi! Need an advice. I'm planning to buy a desktop computer, is the AMD AHTHION II X2 215 with Built in 1gb video card, 4gb ram and 1tb HDD enough to run SIMS 4 with complete dlc?
    Simeployed wrote: »
    Hi! Need an advice. I'm planning to buy a desktop computer, is the AMD AHTHION II X2 215 with Built in 1gb video card, 4gb ram and 1tb HDD enough to run SIMS 4 with complete dlc?

This does not meet requirements to run the game. Do you have a budget?
  • fazemanpressfazemanpress Posts: 206 Member
    Hey there,

I was thinking of getting Sims 4 on Xbox one and play it but i miss playing sims on PC. I have an old PC which cant run the sims 4 properly and the graphics get choppy, and i'm able to play the sims 3 only.

So did aloot of thinking and thought about selling my Xbox one and invest in good reasonable priced gaming computer (as my old computer is xp and crashes alot) that i can use for everyday use and also gaming.

My budget is about $700 cad(Canadian) as right now i can afford that for gaming PC, any good recommendations please for computer that would be good to play the sims 4?

I would prefer some local stores like Best Buy or Canada Computers or anything in Canada, if ordering from the states would make it more expensive plus the conversion rates.

Thank you for your help :)
    edited November 2017
    Hey there,

I was thinking of getting Sims 4 on Xbox one and play it but i miss playing sims on PC. I have an old PC which cant run the sims 4 properly and the graphics get choppy, and i'm able to play the sims 3 only.

So did aloot of thinking and thought about selling my Xbox one and invest in good reasonable priced gaming computer (as my old computer is xp and crashes alot) that i can use for everyday use and also gaming.

My budget is about $700 cad(Canadian) as right now i can afford that for gaming PC, any good recommendations please for computer that would be good to play the sims 4?

I would prefer some local stores like Best Buy or Canada Computers or anything in Canada, if ordering from the states would make it more expensive plus the conversion rates.

Thank you for your help :)

You would need allot more than $700 CAD to run this game. Computers are limited and more expensive in Canada than the USA. It would not pay for you to get a computer in the USA because of import fees. Your looking at around $1000- $1200 CAD for a desktop that meets requirements to run this game. I know someone who just bought a laptop to run this game it was like $1500 CAD
  • fazemanpressfazemanpress Posts: 206 Member
    i had seen posts before where somebody suggested desktop computers from $500 to $700 at Wal-mart and Newegg i guess it was us dollars. So $1000 computer be the best option to run it smoothly eh? If i built it buy scratch would it be almost the same or bit more?

Thanks again for your feedback and input. As right now i can afford about $700 and looking for some seasonal/full-time work,dont really want to do the payment plan option.
    edited November 2017
    i had seen posts before where somebody suggested desktop computers from $500 to $700 at Wal-mart and Newegg i guess it was us dollars. So $1000 computer be the best option to run it smoothly eh? If i built it buy scratch would it be almost the same or bit more?

Thanks again for your feedback and input. As right now i can afford about $700 and looking for some seasonal/full-time work,dont really want to do the payment plan option.

You can't compare prices in the USA to Canada. Prices vary from country to country. The USA has allot more options for computers. Supply and demand. Canada had fewer choices for computer and your prices are different than the USA

@luthienrising lives in Canada if you need more input on this subject

Your welcome
  • JesseMoreira06JesseMoreira06 Posts: 7 New Member
    Hey everyone , my name is Jesse , I'm new to the forum so sorry to the OP for highjacking your thread for a few comments, I've been playing the Sims since the very beginning , always been a huge fan , my PC recently broke and I was looking to get a new desktop I'm willing to spend roughly 400-600$ and I'm from Canada, would anyone have any recommendations for me?
    Thanks in advance.