Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need advice on buying a new desktop for sims 4

funkeeferretfunkeeferret Posts: 415 Member
edited October 2017 in PC - Technical Discussions
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me find a new desktop computer to buy. Any help would be most appreciated. :)

Looking for a desktop. We live in the USA. We would like to spend around $800 - $900 or so.

EDITED to add that I realized this morning that we paid more than this for our last two computers. I do not know what the average price is for a desk top that will play sims 4. I don't need a top notch computer but I don't want a budget one either. Can you suggest a median price? We would be willing to go a little higher if it means we are too low right now. Sorry for not realizing this before my original post.

We are ready to buy now.
We do not know much about buying computers for sims 4. I have read up a bit here on what to look for but we probably won't want to open up a modem and add something later, like memory, unless we can get someone we know to do it, lol.

Main use of computer: basic computer stuff, we take lots of family photos, plus I want to play sims 3 (I use sims 3 discs to play on the desktop) and two people in the family would want to play sims 4 (which we will eventually buy). We do not play any other computer games and do not plan to. Sims is it.

I need to be able to plug in an Ethernet cord for my internet. We have other wifi devices connected to this Ethernet account - iPads, cell phones, laptops. I need about 4 or 5 USB outlets for things like my keyboard, printer, external hard drive, mouse. Two of these slots are on my present monitor but I will not be using this particular monitor much longer (see below). I also need to have a disc thing to play my sims 3 discs. That's important.

I do not desperately need a new keyboard and mouse but if they came with the computer that would be great. I do not need to buy a monitor at the same time as the computer because I plan on buying a new monitor separately this week or so with the help of a gift card that I have and want to keep that purchase seperate.

Whew, so if you got through all this, thank you! If I missed anything, let me know.

I really appreciate your help and expertise. :)

Update: thank you so much for all your help, @chesterbigbird and @phoebebebe13 . I really appreciate it!
Post edited by funkeeferret on

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    sending you a pm
  • Nita_Plays11Nita_Plays11 Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi, me too but I need a laptop and didn't know how to make a new forum, I'm 13 so I don't have much money, have two homes so it must be a laptop, I also use my computer to play Sims 3.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,584 Member
    edited October 2017
    Hi, me too but I need a laptop and didn't know how to make a new forum, I don't have much money, have two homes so it must be a laptop, I also use my computer to play Sims 3.

Hello @Nita_Plays11
    Could you please post what country that you live in? @phoebebebe13 or @chesterbigbird will assist you in finding a laptop.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Hi, me too but I need a laptop and didn't know how to make a new forum, I'm 13 so I don't have much money, have two homes so it must be a laptop, I also use my computer to play Sims 3.

What's your budget and Location?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• fazemanpressfazemanpress Posts: 206 Member
    I have a Dell Dimension 8400 and thinking of upgrading it to play The Sims 4.

specs:
    Dimension, 8400 Intell pentium processor
    DVD drive
    128 MB graphics card
    1 GB RAM
    160 GB hard drive 7200 rpm"
    "Windows XP pro OS"

It is possible to upgrade or can somebody help suggest a better solution, as right now i cant spend alooot of money on new computer.

Thanks

Faze
  • kristisaurusrexkristisaurusrex Posts: 4 New Member
    I have a cyberpowerpc and it works so great. Every laptop I've ever had as had issues!
    edited October 2017
    I have a Dell Dimension 8400 and thinking of upgrading it to play The Sims 4.

specs:
    Dimension, 8400 Intell pentium processor
    DVD drive
    128 MB graphics card
    1 GB RAM
    160 GB hard drive 7200 rpm"
    "Windows XP pro OS"

It is possible to upgrade or can somebody help suggest a better solution, as right now i cant spend alooot of money on new computer.

Thanks

Faze

This is not a computer you can upgrade to run this game. It would require you buying a new computer. Desktops to run and survive this game with all it's add ons run $700 and up USD. Prices vary in other countries.

I also see I have spoken to you before. Canadian prices would be higher than USD.
  • funkeeferretfunkeeferret Posts: 415 Member
    OP here!!!!

My computer will be here soon. :)
    I bought a hp monitor today at Best Buy (had a gift card i wanted to put to use).
    I Haven't even opened the monitor up but I just read online that the monitor does NOT have internal speakers???
    I have never had a monitor that doesn't have speakers. Not sure if I should take this monitor back and find one that does have speakers, (do they make those anymore?) or just buy speakers even though I have no idea what to buy and what I need to hook the speakers up.

Plus *sigh* I didn't really want to spend too much more money and have speakers sitting around taking up space, when my old monitor had them neatly built in. Not sure what to do. Monitor is 27" hp ips fhd monitor on sale (can't post links right now) at Best Buy now for 179.00. If I have to buy speakers I guess I will if this is how most monitors are. Just worried I'll screw up picking them out and any cables I need. Any help appreciated. Thank you!!!
    @funkeeferret They do still sell monitors with internal speakers. You might find one cheaper at amazon rather than bestbuy. Just make sure it's 1080p resolution 60 hz

Logitech makes good speakers z200 model on amazon they are $23. They might sell them at bestbuy
    Thank you, phoebebebe13. That is really good to know. I will check to see if this monitor meets the requirements you mentioned and go from there. I really appreciate your helpful reply to my whiny post. ;)
    OP here!!!!

My computer will be here soon. :)
    I bought a hp monitor today at Best Buy (had a gift card i wanted to put to use).
    I Haven't even opened the monitor up but I just read online that the monitor does NOT have internal speakers???
    I have never had a monitor that doesn't have speakers. Not sure if I should take this monitor back and find one that does have speakers, (do they make those anymore?) or just buy speakers even though I have no idea what to buy and what I need to hook the speakers up.

Plus *sigh* I didn't really want to spend too much more money and have speakers sitting around taking up space, when my old monitor had them neatly built in. Not sure what to do. Monitor is 27" hp ips fhd monitor on sale (can't post links right now) at Best Buy now for 179.00. If I have to buy speakers I guess I will if this is how most monitors are. Just worried I'll screw up picking them out and any cables I need. Any help appreciated. Thank you!!!

Just get youself some speakers.. no need to return the monitor.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EZ9XKCM/ref=pd_aw_lpo_147_bs_lp_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RYKP5K8S10ZNV9EA2ZTP
    These are what i had a couple of years back.. good little speakers. Can't fault them.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

Your very welcome
    edited October 2017
    Ok, I decided to buy the speakers you both suggested. :) You know I'm relieved not to have to take the monitor back. It does meet those 1080 and 60 hz requirements and I was so happy to be moving forward on this whole thing with it and taking it back felt like a step back. Yeah, I know, deal with it. ;)
    So the computer is scheduled to arrive in two days. Woohoo! I'll come back and let you know how it's going. :) Thanks again! I'm so grateful to have such expert help!

*Edited to add that I bought those speakers at Best Buy today so we're good to go. :)
    Post edited by funkeeferret on
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited October 2017
    Ok, I decided to buy the speakers you both suggested. :) You know I'm relieved not to have to take the monitor back. It does meet those 1080 and 60 hz requirements and I was so happy to be moving forward on this whole thing with it and taking it back felt like a step back. Yeah, I know, deal with it. ;)
    So the computer is scheduled to arrive in two days. Woohoo! I'll come back and let you know how it's going. :) Thanks again! I'm so grateful to have such expert help!

Glad you got those speakers, my monitors have speakers on them but they do not have output that my speaker systems provide especially if you use Soundcards such as SoundBlaster, Turtle Beach, Etc.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Glad you got those speakers, my monitors have speakers on them but they do not have output that my speaker systems provide especially if you use Soundcards such as SoundBlaster, Turtle Beach, Etc.

Thanks for your input, that's good to know. :)

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Thanks for your input, that's good to know. :)

You welcome and enjoy your new system. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • WiccanAlyssaWiccanAlyssa Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi, can i get some advice too? my old laptop crashed. looking into a new one. would these specs be enough??

Features

•Operating System: Windows 10 Home
    •Processor: 7th Generation AMD A9-9420 APU
    •Processor Speed: 3 GHz base frequency, up to 3.6 GHz burst frequency
    •Hard Drive: 1TB 5400RPM Serial ATA hard drive
    •Memory: 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM (1 DIMM)
    •Graphics: AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics
    Hi, can i get some advice too? my old laptop crashed. looking into a new one. would these specs be enough??

Features

•Operating System: Windows 10 Home
    •Processor: 7th Generation AMD A9-9420 APU
    •Processor Speed: 3 GHz base frequency, up to 3.6 GHz burst frequency
    •Hard Drive: 1TB 5400RPM Serial ATA hard drive
    •Memory: 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM (1 DIMM)
    •Graphics: AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics

No, we do not recommend the A series of AMD cpu's.. they are not good.
    The graphics are also integrated and not any good.
    Things to look for in a laptop
    Intel core i5 7300HQ or core i7 7700HQ (the i7 being the better.)
    Nvidia GTX 1050/1050ti or 1060
    8GB or more ram
    1TB HDD
    250GB or more SSD (the SSD is optional.)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    @funkeeferret I have the same speakers. They were recommended on various tech sites a couple of years ago when I was looking to buy speakers. Bought a second pair for another computer recently. Trust me, better sound quality than built-in monitor speakers. :)

You said you're not sure what you need to hook up speakers. They will come with everything you need already. The power plug and the audio jack. When you get your new desktop and hook up the monitor either by HDMI or Display Port, make sure you are plugging the monitor into the graphics card. It will be the horizontal slot.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    @funkeeferret I have the same speakers. They were recommended on various tech sites a couple of years ago when I was looking to buy speakers. Bought a second pair for another computer recently. Trust me, better sound quality than built-in monitor speakers. :)

You said you're not sure what you need to hook up speakers. They will come with everything you need already. The power plug and the audio jack. When you get your new desktop and hook up the monitor either by HDMI or Display Port, make sure you are plugging the monitor into the graphics card. It will be the horizontal slot.

Thanks so much for the info, @Simasaurus09. :) I bought the speakers today and am glad to hear of another really good experience with them. I'm glad to know they will come with what I need to hook them up. The computer is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I might be hooking it up then or on Thurs. If I have trouble hooking anything up, I will be back on here looking for help lol, but either way will be back to update on how it's going. Thanks again! :)
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Monitor speakers are terrible quality, even compared to mid-quality external speakers. Not only are they low quality, they tend to be made with cheap components and break far more readily - taking the screen with them, as often as not. They drive up the price of the screen, their volume isn't wide-ranging either. In a flat-screen device, there simply isn't room for the components required to produce good sound.

You can get reasonable quality monitor speakers, but they're often with hideously expensive monitors, and are still inferior.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    edited October 2017
    They drive up the price of the screen
    Actually they don't
    Plenty of cheap screens have speaker built in, They do not really advertise built in speakers as being a "selling point" feature of a monitor.
    People buy monitors based on screen quality/resolution and size.
    Also there are loads of Audio Enhancers out there that can really make a difference to "terrible"monitor speakers.
    break far more readily - taking the screen with them
    Sorry no idea where you got that information from.

Post edited by chesterbigbird on
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Eduardx123Eduardx123 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Any modern PC,equipped with a GTX 1060 and up will run this game fine,its not that resource intensive anymore,trust your instincts!
    Eduardx123 wrote: »
    Any modern PC,equipped with a GTX 1060 and up will run this game fine,its not that resource intensive anymore,trust your instincts!

LOL
    A GTX 1060 is considered higher end.
    GTX 1050/1050ti is enough.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD