Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Official Height Slider + Preteens (Combined ideas)

BuzzBuzzBuzzBuzz Posts: 303 Member
edited September 2017 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
The Sims 4 should have height sliders for all age groups in CAS. Like gender preferences, height sliders bring more diversity. All Sims should not be the same height. Everyone is either short, average, or tall. People in real life have varying heights. It is one of the things that makes us unique. People come in different shapes and sizes. I want official height sliders from Maxis and not only modders.

Before I continue on with my ideas and concepts, I’d like to address an issue. Height sliders can interfere with animation. Yes, I know. Some of the animations look a bit off but the height slider will come with limitations. Sims aren’t going to be extremely short or extremely tall, just slightly tall or short between the average. Besides, the Sims 4 team are professional game developers. They figure out on how to adjust and fix animations. Not all of it have to be tuned, maybe mostly the kissing interactions but that’s all.

Now, moving on with my ideas. All age groups (excluding babies) will get height sliders. These height sliders come in limitation to prevent serious inference with animations. Sims get real heights in centimeters. I know games that let people customize their character’s height in centimeters (Second Life and Mabinogi)

Default height for the life stages (make it official plz!!!):

Toddler: 92cm (3 feet)
Child: 122cm (4 feet)
Preteen (if we ever get them): 153cm (5 feet)
Teen-Elder: 183cm (6 feet)

Selectable heights:

Toddler: 84-97cm (2’9”-3’2”)
Child: 115-128cm (3’9”-4’2”)
Preteen: 148-161cm (4’10”-5’3”)
Teen-Elder: 178-189cm (5’10”-6’2”)

Height is genetic. The height slider will kind of fix teen height.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I guess you're wondering, what's the point of preteens when we have height sliders for teens? Hold your horses. I understand, but even without preteens and with height, the child-teen jump would still be odd. I don't want my small child growing into a mature teen. I'm not going to go too in depth with preteens but I'm not going to lack any detail.

Preteens

12-14 years old (Preteens should be able to portray early teens)

A substitute for short teens

Default height is 153cm (5'0"), medium in stature between child and teen

CAS not limited: Gender options (feminine/masculine and using urinal are only available), walking styles, body sculpting, wacky hair colors, two traits, two voices, bras, muscle slider, pre-set bodies, and little facial hair (not too much XD). Preteens have their own unique traits and aspirations like toddlers.

Appearance: Besides height, preteens are a mixture of children and teens. Their face isn't as mature as teen and they retain a slight childlike face. Preteens' bodies are different from children but its less developed than teens. Their body frame are smaller and petite. Preteen girls don't have fully developed breasts. Its either flat, tiny, or small. Weight could increase breast size a bit bigger. Girls don't have much curve compared to older female Sims. Boys, on the other hand, its all about voices. Boys' voices aren't deep like older male Sims. Their voice may sound prepubescent (high pitched or low pitched prepubescent voices).

Interactions: Preteens can almost do what older Sims do except for woohoo and mature romance. Romance for preteens is more like puppy love or cheesy love XD. They can flirt, embrace, and kiss but not like adults. Preteens can care for older children, cook and prepare meals, fix or tinker broken or not broken, and yeah. Yes, they can start their own club and dance in a group at da club! They can also workout to lose weight or gain muscle, go rockclimbing.

Schooling: They go to middle school, not elementary school. That's for children.

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS IDEA AND MAKE MY DREAM COME TRUE!

Make your dreams come true! Don't let your dreams be dreams.
-Shia LaBeouf

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZrNLv76sCJQ
Post edited by BuzzBuzz on

Comments

• BuzzBuzzBuzzBuzz Posts: 303 Member
    QnA time!

Why centimeters?

The games I played let you customize your character's height in centimeters or feet/inches. Why not add centimeters for the height slider? I'd love my Sims to have real heights listed. It brings depth and realism as well.

What's up with the default heights?

The default heights aren't official unless the devs make it official. I gave Sims their heights based off of appearance.

We already have have height sliders! They're mods!

Again, I said I wanted official height sliders from the devs, not modders.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    How do newborns get sliders when they are not even a proper lifestage?
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• buzz_infamousbuzz_infamous Posts: 814 Member
    178-189cm is very tall for teen to elder. I would say those could be suitable for a male irl. And i would be careful with 'official' in the title, this can be very misleading.
    Origin ID: minimalcanary
    178-189cm is very tall for teen to elder. I would say those could be suitable for a male irl. And i would be careful with 'official' in the title, this can be very misleading.

I didn't mean to make my title misleading. Sims seem tall in my opinion. I'd figure that would be their heights.
    marcel21 wrote: »

Oh, I dunno XD
  • jmattgamingjmattgaming Posts: 18 Member
    Now this would be interesting but sadly I doubt it will ever happen. I imagine there'd be issues with interaction animations that require sims to be facing each other/at a certain height.
    Now this would be interesting but sadly I doubt it will ever happen. I imagine there'd be issues with interaction animations that require sims to be facing each other/at a certain height.

Well, they should at least bring back the skeletonstretch cheat instead of a height slider.
  • dg51829dg51829 Posts: 300 Member
    I really wish we had an age slider. Because I hate it when I create two child sims and I want one older than the other one then I get into the game and either they are the same or it's in the reverse order.
    dg51829 wrote: »
    I really wish we had an age slider. Because I hate it when I create two child sims and I want one older than the other one then I get into the game and either they are the same or it's in the reverse order.

Ikr! I'd always use the stretchskeleton cheat to make a small child or an older child.
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Minimum 5'10" for teen-elder? My mom is 5'2"!
  • EmoFlowersEmoFlowers Posts: 325 Member
    A slider is very unlikely. If anything, presets would be more doable. A short/average/tall high preset for each lifestage.

You say,
    BuzzBuzz wrote: »
    Before I continue on with my ideas and concepts, I’d like to address an issue. Height sliders can interfere with animation. Yes, I know. Some of the animations look a bit off but the height slider will come with limitations. Sims aren’t going to be extremely short or extremely tall, just slightly tall or short between the average. Besides, the Sims 4 team are professional game developers. They figure out on how to adjust and fix animations. Not all of it have to be tuned, maybe mostly the kissing interactions but that’s all.
    but I don't think you mean it. No one wants to see unfinished or unpolished paid content - and not completely tuning every single animation is unfinished content.

With a slider, an animator will have to go every few increments of the slider and tune the animation for little things: picking a book off of the shelf, washing the dishes, typing on the computer, etc. And those add up to a lot of animating hours. Presets would still have those challenges, but it would be much more doable within both budget and time.

(Also, I do agree: having the word "official" in the title is a little misleading. :sweat_smile: If you're able to, I would change it to "ideas for an official height slider" or something similar.)
    !! Mermaids !!

RIP Princess (July 4, 2001 - January 11, 2016)
    RIP Misha (May 1, 2011 - July 2, 2016)
  • BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    If a height slider was applied, I don't think presets of heights should be implemented. Keep them as they are as a base and then let the player decide how tall or short they want their Sims because many adults, including myself, are no where near 6ft tall. :)

But like @jmattgaming mentioned, the animations and interactions with other Sims and Objects would have to be considered. There's quite a bit of variety of scaling to consider with animations so that would be a large task. In no way am I putting limitations on the devs or the game, just stating that it would probably need some coding overhaul.
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited October 2017
    Minimum 5'10" for teen-elder? My mom is 5'2"!

This was somewhat similar to my reaction :lol: . I'm 5'2 as well, my mom is 5'3. Even in high school in my class the tallest girl was 5'7. I can't speak for other parts of the world, but in the US the average height for adult women are about 5'4-5'5. As someone said above, "5'10-62" sound more like males, even though I do know boys who are also shorter.

I'd suggest perhaps 5'3- 6'2 but that's just a little bit of critiquing. But that's just me. Either way I do agree and pray that hopefully they really really consider a height selector.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • dg51829dg51829 Posts: 300 Member
    There are also people who are going to want to be abnormally short sims. I would love a height slider for this purpose. If I want a super tall sim or super short it would be nice to add that to the game. Maybe even interactions to kids/teens to tease other kids for being 'too tall' or 'too short'. Sims kids are way too angelic at times and this is something I think would add to story of family legacies like a parent who was bullied as kid finding out their kid is bulling another children. There is so much that could be added with height as interactions. Objects for kids that let them measure their height. It's not just a slider though they would have to add in genetics factors into the game as well so children would end up being really odd height wise from their parents unless it's a throwback gene, which I've seen happen on the sims before.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »

Oh, I dunno XD

I didn't mean to make my title misleading. Sims seem tall in my opinion. I'd figure that would be their heights.

I would change the title. It's not official but a modification.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    I don't think people realize how much work it would take to make height sliders, in terms of animations. Too short, and a Sims hands would go straight through countertops when cooking, for example. More importantly, every animation that requires physical contact between sims would need to be redone in a lot of variations. It's not minimal anymore if you have to account for contact between the shortest possible sim and tallest possible sim. So it's changes to not only kissing animations, but hugging, taking selfies, taking care of toddlers, touching a pregnant woman's belly, vampires drinking, etc. I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. Maybe ask for it to be part of sims 5 base game, but even then it's still a lot of work.

As for preteens... I do kind of like the idea, but I fail to understand exactly what would be different about them, other than appearance. I feel like teens could simply be shorter and less adult like and it would pretty much work. They can already do everything you just said preteens do, and not much more. As for school, not every country has a school system with three different schools. No matter what they do, it's going to seem weird to some people.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    EA MAXIS should make slider heights for children, teens & Adults.