Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Well, I wanna play Sims 4 Pets when it is released, but should I upgrade or replace???

Hi gang!

Well, Sims 4 Pets is finally on its way, and I can hardly wait!

But that being said, I took a look at the requirements, and I'm a tinney bit concerned. I have the bare minimum memory of 4 GB, and I can take care of that, but I will display my specs below, and I want you all to tell me if I'd be better off gettng a newer computer?

MY SPECS

Processor
AMD E1-2100 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics
Manufacturer
AMD
Speed
1.0 GHz
Number of Cores
CPU ID
178BFBFF00700F01
Family
Model
Stepping
Revision
Memory
RAM
4.0 GB
Video Card
Video Card
AMD Radeon HD 8210
Manufacturer
Chipset
AMD Radeon HD 8210
Dedicated Memory
512 MB
Total Memory
3.0 GB
Pixel Shader Version
Vertex Shader Version
Hardware T & L
Yes
Vendor ID
Device
Plug and Play ID
VEN_1002&DEV_9834&SUBSYS_F9101179&REV_00
Driver Version
Operating System
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 (build 15063), 64-bit
Service Pack
Size
64-bit
Edition
ATI
Version
Locale
BIOS
BIOS
Version
TOSHIBA 1.30
Manufacturer
TOSHIBA
Date
Sound
Audio 1
Sound Device
Realtek High Definition Audio
Driver
Audio 2
Sound Device
AMD High Definition Audio Device
Driver
Drives
DVD
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU-208FB
CD
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU-208FB
Size
454.2 GB
Free Memory
326.3 GB
Software
Internet Explorer
Chrome
Firefox
Safari
Java
Flash
DirectX
.NET
QuickTime
Adobe PDF Reader

Also, I am leaning towards gettng a new computer with Nvida processors and video, because there is another program that I'm using that conflicts wth the newer AMD drivers, but for now....Will what I have be okay for Pets???

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    It looks like you have a toshiba laptop from some of the info you have posted. laptops can not be upgraded with video card and processor . You are stuck with the specs you buy. That laptop is way under requirements to run the game with ram, video card and processor . It's not just amount of ram. Your processor and video card count too. You would need a new computer that meets recommended requirements to survive all the game add ons.

AMD and Intel make processors for gaming. Both AMD and Nvidia make video cards for gaming. Are you looking into a laptop or desktop? This game requires a mid range gaming desktop. Laptop hardware is much weaker than desktop hardware. You need a much more powerful gaming laptop to equal the games requirements on desktop.
  • 911TruthBear911TruthBear Posts: 626 Member
    Looks like I need to replace, then! And I WILL NOT be gettng AMD as it conflicts with the graphics on another game that I use....Thanks for the 411, @phoebebebe13 ! :)
    edited September 2017
    Your welcome. Do not buy amd if buying a laptop. AMD is fine for desktop. AMD laptops are lower end.

Nvidia -Intel is the way to go with laptop. You do need a quad core. i5 is ok but preferably i7 intel processor. These processors will end in HQ or MQ . You do not want a "U" processor. They are dual core.

Video card depending on budget Nvidia GTX 1050, 1050 ti or 1060

8gb ram . 16 gb is future proofing

at least 500 gb hard drive space

windows 64 bit

PS your AMD laptop is very low end and not designed for gaming which could be the issue on other games your trying to play. Your laptop is designed for light computer tasks only. Not for gaming 3d games at all

PS your AMD laptop is very low end and not designed for gaming which could be the issue on other games your trying to play. Your laptop is designed for light computer tasks only. Not for gaming 3d games at all

Tell me about it!!! :D
    I'm pleasantly shocked to have used it this long with Sims 4!

But trust me when I say this---I spoke with the tech guys associated with that other program and they not ony told me to stay away from AMD, but they strongly recomended Nvida
    Your welcome. Do not buy amd if buying a laptop. AMD is fine for desktop. AMD laptops are lower end.

Nvidia -Intel is the way to go with laptop. You do need a quad core. i5 is ok but preferably i7 intel processor. These processors will end in HQ or MQ . You do not want a "U" processor. They are dual core.

windows 64 bit

Okay now with all that being said, what is the lowest price this poor boy can expect to chug out for a laptop with all these specs? :o

Same question for a desktop

And one more note---I lean towards a laptop only becasue I love the portablility of being able to take it with me anywhere and just sit down, grab a coffee, and lounge for several hours in a corner somewhere at a local Carabou Coffee or Starbucks or the library and play Sims! o:)B):)

edited September 2017

windows 64 bit

Okay now with all that being said, what is the lowest price this poor boy can expect to chug out for a laptop with all these specs? :o

Same question for a desktop

And one more note---I lean towards a laptop only becasue I love the portablility of being able to take it with me anywhere and just sit down, grab a coffee, and lounge for several hours in a corner somewhere at a local Carabou Coffee or Starbucks or the library and play Sims! o:)B):)

Are you in the USA? If not what country? If in the USA your looking at around $800 for a laptop. Same for desktop if your needing a monitor. I hook my desktop up to a TV and use the TV as a monitor

Desktop is stronger and better for gaming than a laptop.

You want to make sure your laptop meets the recommended requirements. Your stuck with video card and processor. You can't change it . You want your laptop to last the whole game with all the add ons

Tell me about it!!! :D
    I'm pleasantly shocked to have used it this long with Sims 4!

But trust me when I say this---I spoke with the tech guys associated with that other program and they not ony told me to stay away from AMD, but they strongly recomended Nvida

I'm and intel/Nvidia user. They make very cheap laptops with AMD. All the good gaming laptops out there use nvidia/intel. Desktop hardware is different. There is some desktop AMD hardware that is fine. Especially if you have a lower budget. Nvidia/intel costs more
    Oh, and for the record, it is a Toshiba Satellite C55D-B5308....If that lends any light on the subject
    Toshiba satalites are not meant for gaming

If your in the usa I posted a few laptops in this thread that will survive the game http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/925089/new-laptop-help#latest
    Well, it is against forum rules to say exactly where I am from, but yep, I am in the USA, lol! :)
    Well, it is against forum rules to say exactly where I am from, but yep, I am in the USA, lol! :)

It's not against rules to state your country .Your not permitted to post email, your physical address or your real name, We ask country so we can find you a laptop or desktop in your area ;)

Thanks again for all of your help @phoebebebe13 ! I went shopping at Wal Mart today, and I think that I came across a fairly decent laptop...

Will post the specs when I get home
    edited September 2017
    @911TruthBear

Your welcome. be careful of walmart. I know my in store walmart sells junk laptops. They are not for gaming. All of them have integrated graphics and will not survive the game . Walmart gives you 13 days to return it if you bought it. . What is the make and model?

Walmart.com has more of a selection online but I don't know what kind of gaming laptops if any they sell. They do sell some gaming desktops
    Will post the specs when I get home

Please do because you only have 13 days to return it
  • GnomeZenGnomeZen Posts: 273 Member
    Any idea if this computer will run it? HP out of the box with no video card? If not, what video card could I get that would be easy for noob to install that would not require new power supply etc?

0sWB3k6.jpg
    Here we go!

HP_1.jpg

and...

HP_3.jpg

And here is the one that Im pasing on becasue it has AMD!

HP_2.jpg

For the record, I have not bought anything yet....I am starting a new job tomarrow, and it will take me some time to save up for a new computer, as I was off work for three weeks and I have to get caught up on rent first.

THe reason I wanna go to Wal Mart is becasue they have lay away, and that's my budget nowadays!
    From Wal Mart's web site:
    HP Onyx Blizzard Ci7 15-cb045wm 15.6" Laptop, Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor, NVVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics, 12GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, Windows 10 Home
    I'm glad the C15 is no longer avalible...that model has AMD! >:)
  • GnomeZenGnomeZen Posts: 273 Member
    edited September 2017
    Well I did a bunch of research and it looks like my old HP envy should run the Sims 4 pets game fine. If anybody wants to check like I did, from start menu go to device manager, then click on display adapters, that shows you what graphics card you have. Mine has intel HD graphics 4600. Once you have that you can google if you card supports Pixel Shader 3.0 or better which is what Sims pets requires. I found a web page that said my card supports up to pixel shader 4.0. As far as the 128MB of Video RAM..... these HP's pull memory as needed and it is not dedicated... so should be fine there too. Fingers crossed!
    edited September 2017
    From Wal Mart's web site:
    HP Onyx Blizzard Ci7 15-cb045wm 15.6" Laptop, Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor, NVVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics, 12GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, Windows 10 Home

It meets requirements but you may get a better laptop elsewhere like newegg. My son use to work at Walmart. They only do layaway during the holiday seasons and it may only be for 2 months. It might be 30 days.
    edited September 2017
    GnomeZen wrote: »
    Well I did a bunch of research and it looks like my old HP envy should run the Sims 4 pets game fine. If anybody wants to check like I did, from start menu go to device manager, then click on display adapters, that shows you what graphics card you have. Mine has intel HD graphics 4600. Once you have that you can google if you card supports Pixel Shader 3.0 or better which is what Sims pets requires. I found a web page that said my card supports up to pixel shader 4.0. As far as the 128MB of Video RAM..... these HP's pull memory as needed and it is not dedicated... so should be fine there too. Fingers crossed!

@GnomeZen It's below requirements ,This game requires a dedicated card not integrated. I know you posted above about upgraded the video card. You need to talk to @chesterbigbird about any upgrades. HP off the shelf are hard to upgrade
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    @GnomeZen Any new series of video card would bottleneck that CPU and with only a 300-watt power supply, that would need to be upgraded as well. HP cases also tend to be cramped not easily upgradable and lack proper cooling needed for a dedicated card. You can PM chester as phoebe suggest. She may tell you the same. I looked up your model and for sure that 300-watt power supply would need to be upgraded.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    edited September 2017
    @Simasaurus09 Chester helped someone else with an HP upgrade and a new power supply. since HP cases are so cramped they need a mini card. Chester will know what upgrades will work