The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the reason you keep coming back to the sims 4 rather then play 2/3?

1234568...Next

Comments

• AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    Because Sims 4 runs so smoothly on my laptop and the art style looks better. I still play sims 3 every now and then but I always find myself comparing my sims to my sims 4 sims.

I haven't played sims 2 since I was a child, No particular reason why.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,427 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    I still do love The Sims 3, but... Sims 4 is just quicker.

Quicker to start up, quicker to jump into, quicker to make things in general, and it also doesn't lag as much. Also, I like its (very few) supernaturals much better than their previous iterations. They were just handled better. Except for ghosts and plantsims, those were way better in earlier games imo.

And the sims just plain look better too?? Mostly how diverse they can get. Body type, pupil size, being able to accurately create several different ethnicities, and so on. The presets for most of the face parts kinda all look the same for the most part, just judging from the thumbnails, but still.
    I don't like the default texture of the TS4 faces, though. Too shiny. Not my taste at all. So I'm that glad mods exist to fix that one aspect I don't like about them, now I am way more inclined to play this game more often.

At some point I've also tried to create some of my Sims 4 sims in Sims 3, and realized that TS3 was really missing some of the sliders that would truly allow me to make some of my TS4 sims look like themselves.
    Such as this guy:
    mort_compare_by_magdaneela-dbu1nwv.png
    Made me realize I was missing a neck size slider. And something for the jaw. Overall face shape, really. Probably doesn't help that TS3 dudes also look rather square overall?
    I never really felt the need to get custom sliders for this game (besides, like, essentials like height sliders and pointy ears), but trying to do this just shed some light to problems I didn't realize existed. See, this is why I like Sims 4 sims better.

I dare you all to try going in reverse like this. Recreate your stuff from Sims 4 in the earlier games instead, be it houses or sims. Disaster or not, it's still kinda interesting to see.
    Here's my example of Natalya in The Sims 3 and 4, respectively.
    N5eduhw.png
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I'm playing TS4 now simply because my gaming laptop decided to fry. It's just keeping me happy until I buy a new one, and can start gen 19 in my current TS3 save (thank goodness for external hard drives). I do have to admit I'm loving TS4 now, and I really didn't want to. I have shamefully bought most of the packs and all Ep's, despite only getting the base over the summer. Not sure which I'll play more once the new PC arrives.
  • jennihopejennihope Posts: 321 Member
    The Sims 4 is more aesthetically pleasing, and the CAS in ts4 allows me to make my sims more unique.
    I will admit, TS4 doesn't give me the same vibes TS3 does. TS4 needs more heart.
    follow my simblr: https://beautesims.tumblr.com/ <-- still under construction
    origin id: jennihope
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Sims 2 and Sims 3 I both return to, but I also turn away for other reasons.

Sims 3 I have played to death. I'm talking that I can predict/anticipate which wishes a Sim will roll next, so my Sims have ceased to feel unique since I more or less know the "equation" and what to expect of them based on their personas. I also admittedly do wish they were a little more animated; Sims 4 did succeed in using animations to make sims feel more alive. Sims 2 doesn't suffer from this either simply because Sims 2 uses a lot of idle animations to get the same effect, but Sims 3 Sims can be rather conservative with their movements at times, so comparatively they feel like robots now, even if they DO have more personality.

Sims 2, my main beefs are University and Open for Business breaking the economy. University is absurdly long in Sims 2 and I find it tedious. Open for Business needs a mod that makes it so the customers don't ACTUALLY gain the items they purchase, or perhaps that they can't actually purchase objects they cannot afford. The issue with the default state is that if your first Sim sells a $200,000 car to your second Sim, then BOTH your seller and buyer just gained $200,000. This quickly breaks the economy and makes things too easy.

What does Sims 4 get right?

-I prefer rotational gameplay and the new options to activate aging SOLELY for the active sim or SOLELY for unplayed Sims are excellent. Those should be used in every game from now on.
    -The income-to-bills ratio is the best in the franchise. Bills in Sims 2 are only like $300 or so while the Sims earn thousands a day, whereas in Sims 3 you get promoted to president of the universe for smiling at the secretary on your way to your desk. Sims 4 is nice in the sense a Sim can reasonably expect to earn $12,000 a week, but then pay $7,500 in taxes. Painting and writing are where the money is at, so if you desperately want money, just do that. If you want more balanced gameplay though with poorer Sims? This is completely doable. I would actually prefer they even take this further in the future and develop a way for the taxes to be income/property-based as they are now, but to also allow for their bills to exceed their income without demanding a mansion. I hate only having rich Sims to play, so it's a breath of fresh air to see this game's economy more balanced.
    -The animations are a subtle means to help Sims feel more alive. Yes it's all smoke and mirrors considering the personality variations are actually abysmal, but they're still a nice touch that I'd like to keep.
    -The graphics and Sim customization are currently the best. Something that I hated about Sims 3 was that Bridgeport was the only neighborhood where female Sims would have big breasts; the breast slider was disabled beyond a certain size for randomly generated Sims. What's the point in such a feature if they're just gonna disable it...? I know I say that and it sounds perverted, but for me it was about 1) having more diversity in appearance is nice and also means more diversity in the gene pool for family play, and 2) some women - yes - have bigger breasts. If I were a woman with bigger breasts, I'd be annoyed I can't make myself properly just because someone thinks kids are gonna view that sexually or something (no, that's not how kids think), so my body type is inadvertedly being censored. It's taken a looooong time for a lot of body modifications to be included in the game because of their possible sexual usage or because the body type is viewed as atypical or unattractive, but the fact of the matter is that sometimes a guy or a girl has a nice butt, sometimes someone is fat without having a big butt, sometimes a woman has bigger breasts and sometimes a person has a rather unfortunate figure altogether. The past games seemed to shun any body forms that could either be seen as unfortunate and unattractive while also shunning any body forms considered overtly sexual. I want everyone and everything included, because it provides better diversity and better representation of the world. Sims 4 allows for that better than the other games, and I look forward to a Sims game where they can actually figure out how to reasonably animate varying degrees of height, because I think height is another trademark appearance characteristic for certain people that needs to be included.

It's just unfortunate that these are the only thing the game gets right. That and Vampires. I think that teases a lot of players and makes us WANT to like the game since the potential is there, but at this point it's clear that potential isn't gonna be used.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member

Sims 3 I have played to death. I'm talking that I can predict/anticipate which wishes a Sim will roll next, so my Sims have ceased to feel unique since I more or less know the "equation" and what to expect of them based on their personas. I also admittedly do wish they were a little more animated; Sims 4 did succeed in using animations to make sims feel more alive. Sims 2 doesn't suffer from this either simply because Sims 2 uses a lot of idle animations to get the same effect, but Sims 3 Sims can be rather conservative with their movements at times, so comparatively they feel like robots now, even if they DO have more personality.

Sims 2, my main beefs are University and Open for Business breaking the economy. University is absurdly long in Sims 2 and I find it tedious. Open for Business needs a mod that makes it so the customers don't ACTUALLY gain the items they purchase, or perhaps that they can't actually purchase objects they cannot afford. The issue with the default state is that if your first Sim sells a $200,000 car to your second Sim, then BOTH your seller and buyer just gained $200,000. This quickly breaks the economy and makes things too easy.

What does Sims 4 get right?

-I prefer rotational gameplay and the new options to activate aging SOLELY for the active sim or SOLELY for unplayed Sims are excellent. Those should be used in every game from now on.
    -The income-to-bills ratio is the best in the franchise. Bills in Sims 2 are only like $300 or so while the Sims earn thousands a day, whereas in Sims 3 you get promoted to president of the universe for smiling at the secretary on your way to your desk. Sims 4 is nice in the sense a Sim can reasonably expect to earn $12,000 a week, but then pay $7,500 in taxes. Painting and writing are where the money is at, so if you desperately want money, just do that. If you want more balanced gameplay though with poorer Sims? This is completely doable. I would actually prefer they even take this further in the future and develop a way for the taxes to be income/property-based as they are now, but to also allow for their bills to exceed their income without demanding a mansion. I hate only having rich Sims to play, so it's a breath of fresh air to see this game's economy more balanced.
    -The animations are a subtle means to help Sims feel more alive. Yes it's all smoke and mirrors considering the personality variations are actually abysmal, but they're still a nice touch that I'd like to keep.
    -The graphics and Sim customization are currently the best. Something that I hated about Sims 3 was that Bridgeport was the only neighborhood where female Sims would have big breasts; the breast slider was disabled beyond a certain size for randomly generated Sims. What's the point in such a feature if they're just gonna disable it...? I know I say that and it sounds perverted, but for me it was about 1) having more diversity in appearance is nice and also means more diversity in the gene pool for family play, and 2) some women - yes - have bigger breasts. If I were a woman with bigger breasts, I'd be annoyed I can't make myself properly just because someone thinks kids are gonna view that sexually or something (no, that's not how kids think), so my body type is inadvertedly being censored. It's taken a looooong time for a lot of body modifications to be included in the game because of their possible sexual usage or because the body type is viewed as atypical or unattractive, but the fact of the matter is that sometimes a guy or a girl has a nice butt, sometimes someone is fat without having a big butt, sometimes a woman has bigger breasts and sometimes a person has a rather unfortunate figure altogether. The past games seemed to shun any body forms that could either be seen as unfortunate and unattractive while also shunning any body forms considered overtly sexual. I want everyone and everything included, because it provides better diversity and better representation of the world. Sims 4 allows for that better than the other games, and I look forward to a Sims game where they can actually figure out how to reasonably animate varying degrees of height, because I think height is another trademark appearance characteristic for certain people that needs to be included.

It's just unfortunate that these are the only thing the game gets right. That and Vampires. I think that teases a lot of players and makes us WANT to like the game since the potential is there, but at this point it's clear that potential isn't gonna be used.

I feel TS2 OFB could have, well actually wrong auxiliary - should have made it balanced by not just having resident sims not purchase expensive items, but as well lose the money from the items they can (and by can as in - 'affordable') and did purchased. And to not over look another issue: Deprecation shouldn't trigger unless/before the purchased item is placed out of the invenotry.

NNpYlHF.jpg
  • ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    the artstyle! the sims! the multitasking! and a bunch of other stuff!
  • LilyGraceGamingLilyGraceGaming Posts: 63 Member
    I'm not trying to be mean, but here is my opinion. I keep coming to the sims 4 because of the smooth "Cartoonish" look, I don't know for sure, but instead of trying to make realism like previous graphics they went for there own smooth style. I also prefer the interface and create a sim, I also like how easy cc is to implement into the game. It's supported, which I love! But, I would love more features, *Cough*Cough*Cars*Cough* and would also love for fairies again (That was my favorite part of 3) I would also love for more build options, but with the new update with the roof, I am happy to hope that they are. One Other thing I loved about 3 was the size of the world in the sims 3, I just want to mention I have only played 3 and 4!
  • PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member

I want everyone and everything included, because it provides better diversity and better representation of the world. Sims 4 allows for that better than the other games, and I look forward to a Sims game where they can actually figure out how to reasonably animate varying degrees of height, because I think height is another trademark appearance characteristic for certain people that needs to be included.

@DeservedCriticism , I also like more diversity in my game in general. :) And I especially agree with you about the need for body height choices! <3 As a short person, I will never be able to make my Simself in The Sims unless I get Mods, which I don't want to do! :'(

Home is where your Pugs are! <3
  • VraieVraie Posts: 196 Member
    Sims 3 and my old PC didn't get along. The hair kept disappearing. It annoyed me with just the base game and so I never went any further with it. I assumed my machines then were not compatible and so abandoned it.

I still have TS2 installed on my old desktop that thinks it's 2006, but I don't really like playing at desktop.

I have TS4 on this PC because it kind of just made sense when I finally had a new PC that I'd get the new game and not try to force it to install an older game (especially since it doesn't have a CD drive and the external drive is three hours away).

So that's kind of the reason why. I love TS2 and I am getting very fond of TS4 but for different reasons. But right now I play this one :)