Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the reason you keep coming back to the sims 4 rather then play 2/3?

Comments

• Options
    SaviourofpotatoesSaviourofpotatoes Posts: 111 Member
    edited September 2017
    I stopped playing them all for several years, watched a Sims 4 LP on Youtube and got the Sims itch, dug out all of my Sims 2, but my laptop would not play it at all so decided to buy Sims 4 and like all games I get into, I ended up buying majority of the packs, at first I almost stopped playing due to the limited content and the flip flop moods but once I modded the game I absolutely loved it, I recently downloaded a mod that makes my Sim's moods harder to manipulate so they experience moods more realistically, rather than be happy all the bloody time - love a bit of negativity in my life- Never played 3, didn't like the cartoon, round head, bubble face look but will play Sims 2 again one day, but for now it'll remain in a chest hidden in my attic.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I started playing Sims 4 because I never really warmed up to Sims 3. Sims 4 seemed like a compromise that lets me enjoy some aspects (like collecting and, though they came only later, playable ghosts) without being confronted with something too Sims 3ish.

Another factor is accessability and ease of handling. The things I miss most when playing Sims 2 are the (somewhat) better group control, household management, editing venues on the fly while I'm visiting them with my sims and everything related to setting and changing outfits. Building is easier, too, that's a uge plus for me. Sims 4 is about the first time since the original game where my builds actually look good.
  • Options
    SaviourofpotatoesSaviourofpotatoes Posts: 111 Member
    The things I miss most when playing Sims 2 are the (somewhat) better group control, household management, editing venues on the fly while I'm visiting them with my sims and everything related to setting and changing outfits.

I also miss how many activities and content you got through the expansion packs as well, Open for Business was one of my favourites. I always found that I was never disappointed with the EP, even the some that were lacking. I realise that Sim 4 has a lot more specs etc than Sims 2 but I do miss the variety of 2 a lot. Without some of my Mods, I think I'd be bored of Sims 4 by now.

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    edited September 2017
    I have to admit that the main draw of ts4 for me is the modern look. I like things to be visually appealing.

That is not to say ts3 is not appealing, because it very much is, and I still play it a lot but it is feeling a little dated now. And the way the sims move in 3 kind of grates on me a bit.

But I could never shift over to ts4 totally as it does not hold the gameplay or experiences you can obtain in previous versions.
  • Options
    tastongtastong Posts: 14 New Member
    Because of ts4 cas and ts3 runs so poorly. I love ts2, but I miss the stupid moodlets. Ts3 is my favorite (SKILL JOURNALS, WITCHES, SPICES, ADVENTURE, ALCHEMY, NECTAR MAKING, come on).

I play ts4 reluctantly. Maybe if they add more depth and EA quits penny pinching we can have richer EPs instead of the garbage we've been handed every 🐸🐸🐸🐸 year.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I went to play TS3 last night and it wouldn't load. Good reason not to play it.
  • Options
    korsetkorset Posts: 398 Member
    every once in a while i get the itch to play sims 4 but then get bored i go back to sims 3 thats with having every pack and expan
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    To check out the latest pack, play a little of my story scenario, play around in CAS, take pictures of my cute sims, install more custom content, and then go back to The Sims 3. :D
    Same... I poke at CAS and check out the latest packs but I always end up going back to Sims 3. The only sims game I can easily spend 4+ hours with before getting the least bit bored.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    i prefer to build/create sims in the sims 4 i have more fun building in the sims 4. plus the sims look more lively in 4 while in 3 they look nothing but dolls to me plus its faster loading then 3 was it literally took like about 6-20 minutes to just get a new game set up. plus i love the toddlers god they're so precious and adorable they're the best they been in awhile plus they add to the trouble and make it feel like you're controlling a real life toddler
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Stability
  • Options
    AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    edited September 2017
    Because I love the art style and sims 4 is easier on my poor laptop. I haven't played sims 2 since elementary, but I will most likely get back into sims 3 when I buy a better laptop. I probably won't play it as often as I do sims 4 though.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Sims 2 feels far too outdated and restricted by this point although I used to love it and it's certainly a good game. I like to have sims with longer lives but in 2 they age and die so quickly, loading times are far too long so I never bother going anywhere, build mode and CAS aren't as good, they can only get a job if it happens to come up on the computer, there aren't many skills to work through, and promotions require friendships which I hate doing. All in all I rarely play sims 2 and when I do it's just for nostalgia reasons.

Sims 3 I still try to play every so often but it's pretty much become unplayable for me, it takes 20 minutes to load and then tends to crash often to the point where any time I'm playing I'm just afraid of it crashing rather than being able to relax and enjoy the game. I do like the open world and enjoy playing games with poorer sims or certain challenges that feel more suited to that game. I also have a lot I haven't completed in 3, I bought a lot of expansion packs about 6 months before sims 4 came out and tend to constantly abandon saves to start a new game so would still like to complete everything if the game will play long enough to let me. I also have certain mods in 3 that I don't have in 4 that I miss. I find the clothing horrible in 3 though and can never find anything for them to wear. I'm also a family player and find the toddlers severely lacking. The sims themselves also seem pretty robotic which was fine previously but bothers me now I'm used to 4. Cast is good but my game can't really handle me loading it, it also can't handle me trying to build anything or alter the world in anyway so some of the benefits of 3 I can't even enjoy. I do miss opportunities, whims and skill journals though. Oh and babies of course.

Sims 4 is a lot smoother and more fluid, I find CAS so much easier and quicker to use plus I actually like the clothes in this game. I also find I can actually build things for the first time in this series and really enjoy doing so. When 4 came out I ditched 3, but then I missed my toddlers so reinstalled 3. Now I've got toddlers and parenthood I much prefer 4 and only occasionally go back to 3. While there are some things I miss from earlier games I feel like we are now at a point where the things I miss from 4 are greater than those I miss from the others combined.
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I actually do still play TS2, but TS3 not really. I think TS4 provides me with a better playing experience, as I am a family simmer. TS3 I think suits more people who love to get their sims out of the house and around the world. I like doing that too, I just like the smaller worlds of TS4 a little more, though I do still feel TS4 is lacking.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    gabythesimslovergabythesimslover Posts: 146 Member
    TS/TS2 feel too restricting. I can't ever go back to them after experiencing all of the fun things TS3/TS4 have to offer.

TS3 was fun, but it was also very frustrating. My computer can run any new game at max settings, but with TS3 I felt like I was playing on a brick. The whole thing was just too laggy for my taste. To make matters worse I hated the vanilla appearance of TS3 Sims so I had to download a lot of CC to make the game more aesthetically pleasing. This made the game run even slower.

TS4 has less to do but it runs so smoothly that I can enjoy it without being frustrated. I also love the aesthetics of the game to the point where I only use Maxis Match CC, and even with 10GB of it my game still loads in under a minute.
  • Options
    PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    I play all four sims games. I reckon I play TS2 and 3 the most and then 4. There are days I play 1 more than 4. Depends on my mood. If I only have say an hour to play, I'll play 4.

I don't think it's an either or situation.

@MidnightAura , I would play like you if I could, but the computers I played TS1, TS2, and TS3 have all died. :( I never made backups to TS1 and TS2 and while I made backup files for TS3, I could never implement them. :s It would be too painful for me to start over in any of these games, so while I love all of them for different reasons, I would get too nostalgic playing with the older games and missing some of my favorite Sims, builds, and stories. :'( But I'm happy for you that you can still play (and still do play) all 4 games! o:)B)<3 Why make an exclusive choice if you don't have to?!? <3
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited September 2017
    I still play all 4 (I just recently got TS1 working on my pc :smiley: ). I play them in rotation or just depending on my mood. I still get addicted into TS1, TS2 and TS3 for a pretty long time. TS4 is sorta catching up, I can play it up to 4 hours, and that's a big stretch compared to the 20 mins a month around launch.

I do feel pretty lucky to play all 4 games on one pc, though to stay on topic, I play TS4 for hope. I'm not going to lie, like a hopeless romantic, I'm hoping for better for TS4. I'm hoping for more things that take my interest. It's the "simmer" in me I guess, It's the bestie I grew up with.

So even If TS4 isn't my favorite, I'm still hopeful and wanting to accept it into my heart as I easily did the others. So I always check the new patches, sp's, gp's, ep's in that result. So far this year has been a big game changer for my feelings on TS4. And I do thank the devs on that part.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    The Sims has always been my second life, now that I am retired.....Sims is my life :D

I play S2 once in a while, but S3 is my love <3 . I just reinstalled S4 a week or two ago, caught up on buying the packs I hadn't got yet, and am playing it now. It does hold my interest longer now, I think the toddlers are amazing <3 There is a lot I do like in S4, the packs get better each time they are released. Excited for the Cats & Dogs Pack coming in November :p

I always packed up and moved on with each series and never looked back. S4 thru me a loop when it came out , and I started going back :D Now I am retired so there is no need to pack any of them up now, I can just play them all when I want too. I have even been playing S2 Castaways and loving it (wishing we had those torn clothes and grungy looking stuff in our regular sim games though).
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I just don't really go back once I move to a new version. I'm not saying that I'll go onto whatever version is next but I usually don't go back once I move onto a new version of the game. An exception to that is that I did play TS1 and TS2 around the same time. Those were a bit different from each other.

I've enjoyed all of the versions of the game but I did have technical issues with TS3 which is part of why I moved on. I'm also enjoying rotational play in TS4. I was never really a rotational player before but now that is how I play. I have a rotation going and it basically has its own momentum at this point. Adding in more features every so often does keep it interesting, but I'm involved with the characters now.

I'm actually quite enjoying this version of the game for the most part.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited September 2017
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I play both 2 and 4, and really can’t ever imagine a moment where TS4 could replace TS2 for me.

To put it as simple as I can, TS2 just did everything right for me, and each expansion was wonderfully made. It set out to accomplish big things for the franchise itself, and the developers of the time achieved far more than what they had aimed for, IMHO. They’re still the absolute smartest Sims of the whole franchise, with the best designed AI.

With TS4, it feels like they miss the mark often on certain features and packs. Half of the game’s lifespan felt like it was a game of catching up to where TS2 has been for years already.

As far as TS3 goes, I love the vision the developers had with it, but it’s just too dang difficult to play. It’s an unstable mess. I don’t really blame the open world. TS4 has a closed world and experiences many of the issues TS3 did. Just comes down to poor optimization.

The Sims 2 AI is great, but The Sims 2 console AI is incredible. I forget until I go back every few years.

The Sims 2 Sim still suffer from "one minute I'm upset, next minute I'm smiling and hungry". The Sims 2 console, kinda does what 4 set out to do, and gives Sims long lasting emotions. So Sims who are sad will cry throughout the day, but don't go overboard. Sims who are feeling shy, will avoid other Sims etc. but will stay consistent in their mood.

That said, Open World isn't the cause for lag, it's CASt. CASt is so poorly optimised, that even Create A Sim slows down. The Sims 3 Wii is quite buggy, but runs an Open World at a stable 30fps, same size as PC, the only difference being "no CASt".

If a Wii can run The Sims 3 engine with Open World, a PC can. The only key difference between them in CASt.

Medieval also had Open World, but limited CASt I believe. And that game runs like butter. But uses the Sims 3 engine.

Open World is just progressive loading. The countryside area of Windenburg uses progressive loading. The only reason why we don't have Open World in 4, is due to the CPU load of Multi-tasking. Which is why if you use mods to go above the 20 Sims limit, you'll encounter heaps of Simulation lag. Some people say they can't live without Multi-tasking, some people say they can't live without Open World. I'm personally indifferent.

But there is nothing about Open World that is taxing on hardware. CASt however, is an awesome idea, but incredibly floored.
    Post edited by jackjack_k on
  • Options
    @Karlia wrote: »
    For me, it's several things. First of all, I love the graphics and how stable the game runs most of the time. And there are relatively few bugs, I think people tend to see previous games with rose-tinted glasses because of the nostalgia effect but they had a lot more bugs for me. In The Sims 2, there was a game breaking glitch when my sims would randomly stop cooking. It wasn't the fridge, it wasn't the oven, it just happened randomly and then I had to start anew. At least that I've never experienced in The Sims 4.

I hated the open world in Sims 3 because it would take forever to load and I too had lag issues, despite having an at that time completely new gaming computer. I like to play focused on one lot or family so the neighborhood system is ideal for me, the sims can still go outside of their lot to fish or meet others but when I actually want to go to a community lot I don't have to worry about the sims that I leave behind, they care for themselves. I like how simple and clean the UI is and I enjoy the goal-oriented aspect of the game, I love fulfilling aspirations and collecting things and both were quite annoying in the previous games. I also like the build mode, it's a lot more versatile than before and I love how I can decorate houses much more easily thanks to F5 and the Alt key.

I don't know, I guess it just speaks to me more than the other games.

This is literally me.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    Here's something I think is true, when a game isn't being 'played' but used to tell stories and machinima, then it's become a tool to satisfy something else, and not really a game you are actually playing. The 'play' the game should be the draw. *(actual playing it should be what is going on).

That's not really true.

If that's how you feel, you're not playing The Sims 4. You're jumping in, trying to play The Sims 2, realising it's not The Sims 2, and leaving. Because there's no way The Sims 4 doesn't play like a game.

Most people argue The Sims 4 plays more like a game, than it does a "sandbox" like 3 (and in some cases 2).

The Sims 4 literally, from CAS, let's you choose the list of goals your Sim wants to achieve. Then you get a job, which gives you more to work towards, if you want unlock Career objects (like The Sims 2, but more elaborate).

Get To Work is literally several games within a game. Dine Out is also like a game within a game. City Living gives you six Career branches to work towards, while also having non-career activities to progress in (starting from the low end of the City and working up). Vampires is more like a Vampire game, rather than just a life state. Lot's of progression there.

Honestly, if The Sims 4 could be rounded up in one criticism from what I've read since it came out is there is "too much game" not enough "sandbox". I personally didn't find The Sims 1 to be a Sandbox game, it just had Sandbox elements.

But the Sims 2 definitely had a Sandbox element, and The Sims 3 was more Sandbox than Life Simulator to me (a lot of the Life Simulation was watered down from TS2, and replaced with customisation and more options).
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I think you have gotten it backwards. I keep going back to TS2 and sometimes even TS3 because of how annoying TS4 can become with how differently it plays out the traits, the wants/wishes, and the total lack of memories and things important. I keep checking to see if things improve and sometimes they do, and that's great, but eventually I stop playing it for months and play TS2. Here's something I think is true, when a game isn't being 'played' but used to tell stories and machinima, then it's become a tool to satisfy something else, and not really a game you are actually playing. The 'play' the game should be the draw. *(actual playing it should be what is going on).

I see it a bit different than you :D If someone goes into CAS, they probably play it in the game because some say they look different once they put their sim in the game. Then the ones that build, I assume they play the game to see if there are any routing issues and stuff. For the ones that CAW, I always thought they played it to make sure everything was working good. The ones that tell stories, I always thought they played it to get the right pic to post for their story.

I happen to be one that plays the game because I can't build or any of that stuff very good. I look at it as, no matter what you prefer, if you go in the game, you are playing it. I think no matter how someone plays it, as long as they are having fun, then that is what matters.

Please let me know if I misunderstood or even if you don't understand me (I usually don't make any sense, LOL)
  • Options
    Sonata13SingerSonata13Singer Posts: 183 Member
    I play them all(except 1 really) but play Sims 4 the most. If I want to play my first game in Sims 3, it'd take 20-30 minutes to load. I solved this by making a new game, but still. Sims 3 speed 3 never really worked for me so when my sims sleep or go to work, I just start reading a book or something. Sims 2 is kinda dated but is still fun to play.
    3ZWheQM.gif
    Origin ID: Sonata13Singer

I also create music and art (search up Sona13Singer on google... but I haven't been uploading a lot recently)
  • Options
    DivineHysteriaDivineHysteria Posts: 732 Member
    I liked the TS4 right off the bat just like I liked TS2.

It just needs more content (strollers, baby mats, weather).
    It's coming along though, slowly but surely.
    xo0yscju
  • Options
    PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    edited September 2017
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I play both 2 and 4, and really can’t ever imagine a moment where TS4 could replace TS2 for me.

To put it as simple as I can, TS2 just did everything right for me, and each expansion was wonderfully made. It set out to accomplish big things for the franchise itself, and the developers of the time achieved far more than what they had aimed for, IMHO. They’re still the absolute smartest Sims of the whole franchise, with the best designed AI.

With TS4, it feels like they miss the mark often on certain features and packs. Half of the game’s lifespan felt like it was a game of catching up to where TS2 has been for years already.

As far as TS3 goes, I love the vision the developers had with it, but it’s just too dang difficult to play. It’s an unstable mess. I don’t really blame the open world. TS4 has a closed world and experiences many of the issues TS3 did. Just comes down to poor optimization.

The Sims 2 AI is great, but The Sims 2 console AI is incredible. I forget until I go back every few years.

The Sims 2 Sim still suffer from "one minute I'm upset, next minute I'm smiling and hungry". The Sims 2 console, kinda does what 4 set out to do, and gives Sims long lasting emotions. So Sims who are sad will cry throughout the day, but don't go overboard. Sims who are feeling shy, will avoid other Sims etc. but will stay consistent in their mood.

That said, Open World isn't the cause for lag, it's CASt. CASt is so poorly optimised, that even Create A Sim slows down. The Sims 3 Wii is quite buggy, but runs an Open World at a stable 30fps, same size as PC, the only difference being "no CASt".

If a Wii can run The Sims 3 engine with Open World, a PC can. The only key difference between them in CASt.

Medieval also had Open World, but limited CASt I believe. And that game runs like butter. But uses the Sims 3 engine.

Open World is just progressive loading. The countryside area of Windenburg uses progressive loading. The only reason why we don't have Open World in 4, is due to the CPU load of Multi-tasking. Which is why if you use mods to go above the 20 Sims limit, you'll encounter heaps of Simulation lag. Some people say they can't live without Multi-tasking, some people say they can't live without Open World. I'm personally indifferent.

But there is nothing about Open World that is taxing on hardware. CASt however, is an awesome idea, but incredibly floored.

@jackjack_k , my favorite thing about TS3 was CASt <3 , but I also knew it was what caused my game to run sooooo slow :'( that I would read for long periods of time while I waited. I can't tell you how many books I went through, several of them quite large! :o But the fault was mostly mine since I was addicted to CASt. I wanted every pattern collected and in several color combos. And I love making Sims, so by the end of TS3's run I hardly played. I do really enjoy TS4, but it irritates me how clothing doesn't match well. Neither do the accessories. Some hairstyles come with a flower, bow, or headband, but you can only wear one color, unless you change your hair color and then you can only wear that color! :s
    TS4 aggravates my OCD, but TS3 worsened my hording addiction with CASt. :blush: : LOL :D
    Thank you for explaining how CASt was the culprit for the extremely slow loading and running of TS3! ;)
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3