Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the reason you keep coming back to the sims 4 rather then play 2/3?

Comments

• Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I never had sims 2. I loved sims 3, but error 12 was a nightmare.
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    I'd play Sims 3 if it ran on my computer the right way, without glitches. Sims 4 is easier to build and I like it more.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Sims 2 and 3 had 4 years of packs released after launch. Sims 4 is only 3 years old. Not really a fair comparison as far as content. After the Cats and Dogs EP, another year's worth of GPS and SPs and next year's EP, then let's compare content and see how it stacks up.
  • Options
    MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    I've never played Sims 1 or 2, and I only got Sims 3 after I got Sims 4, so you can probably discount my experiences in that regard since I don't have any nostalgia factor for any of the games and by playing Sims 4 I'm just playing the first game I started with, anyway, but...eh I'm going post anyway.

I like Sims 3. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it and still play it here and there. The worlds are interesting, particularly with being open. I love the many different things you can do with the Sims. I had a really good time with a couple different families, but ultimately it's the poor performance and the game-breaking bugs that bring me back to Sims 4 each time.

My computer can run Mass Effect Andromeda (albeit not well) and yet Sims 3 still lags, takes ages to load, turns clunky, crashes, etc. It breaks my heart, but, it just makes it harder to play. I had a glitch that stopped my sims from aging, and when I was attempting to do a legacy style gameplay, I just couldn't deal with monitoring how old they were getting to do it manually. I tried several fixes short of big things that would probably make me lose my (probably corrupted) saves anyway. Made me so sad, I loved that family so so much. Maybe I'll try to salvage it later, but for now I'm still too bummed to want to fix it. :( Farewell, Corporate Werewolf Ghost Dad. :(
    a63ftuN.png
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    For me right now, it's the toddlers. Once I learned that the Sims4 was going to have loading screens I set aside playing Sims3 (the babies and toddlers were so dumbed down in Sims3) and played Sims2, which I hadn't done in years to get myself 'ready' for said loading screens. As much as Sims2 has remained my favorite, over the summer just prior to the Sims4 release, I was confronted by all that game's deficiencies. You only get so much time and that's it. The ONLY way to extend the game is to play with aging off, and then turn it on when you're ready for a Sim to age up, and then turn aging off again. Plus, unless you remember to save prior to the birth and were willing to exit without saving should the baby be a gender you didn't want, then there was no way to set the gender and birth order of your family.

I got quite a boost from being able to set the length of the game, come Sims3. I played Epic and adjusted the length of the individual age brackets. I had hoped we'd get such in Sims4, but once I learned I could play on Long and age up my Sims at will, I was happy.

The TODDLERS in Sims4 far outshine even those in Sims2! The devs really listened to what we wanted, from their ability to climb stairs to being able to climb onto the furniture. I love skilling them up, as it doesn't feel like I'm grinding at all.

Now, if I could just figure out a way for my Sim to have a lucrative singing career … part of me is inclined to play my singer in Sims3 and then switch back to Sims4 for his personal life. I could pretend he was on tour, for instance. And pay him via a cheat in Sims4. That's if the plan I'm hatching in my head doesn't pan out.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Because there are lots of things in TS4 I can no longer play without like multitasking, the manage households tool or the improved build mode. And I love the look and feel of TS4.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2017
    I think you have gotten it backwards. I keep going back to TS2 and sometimes even TS3 because of how annoying TS4 can become with how differently it plays out the traits, the wants/wishes, and the total lack of memories and things important. I keep checking to see if things improve and sometimes they do, and that's great, but eventually I stop playing it for months and play TS2. Here's something I think is true, when a game isn't being 'played' but used to tell stories and machinima, then it's become a tool to satisfy something else, and not really a game you are actually playing. The 'play' the game should be the draw. *(actual playing it should be what is going on).
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I think you have gotten it backwards. I keep going back to TS2 and sometimes even TS3 because of how annoying TS4 can become with how differently it plays out the traits, the wants/wishes, and the total lack of memories and things important. I keep checking to see if things improve and sometimes they do, and that's great, but eventually I stop playing it for months and play TS2. Here's something I think is true, when a game isn't being 'played' but used to tell stories and machinima, then it's become a tool to satisfy something else, and not really a game you are actually playing. The 'play' the game should be the draw. *(actual playing it should be what is going on).

I have always 'told' a story whenever I've played the Sims. I began in the summer of 2005 being a complete Noob to the gaming realm. I create my own characters in CAS and play out their lives the way I would write them, with the occasional random twist, the game would interject. But, then again, I'm a writer and not a true Gamer. So, as long as a person has fun, which in my mind is why we turn to games, it's all good.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I must admit, I have a lot of this. I can't play the sims 4 straight after the sims 2 or 3. I always need to leave it a few days/weeks/months because the previous games are far superior in my view. I love toddlers in 4 and they did make me re install the game but toddlers don't make the game. To me it's not a content issue, it's an AI issue and it's not going to change. I'll probably dip in after pets if the reviews are good but after city living last year I'm not buying day one if I buy.

I enjoy playing the game not not watching the game or telling sims how to behave. I guess the thing that keeps a tiny part of me with the sims 4 is that I want to have this belief that the game will one day for me be the best game ever. I don't have high expectations at this point. It's taken steps to improve, but it's not at the same bar yet. I guess I'm just cautiously sitting at the back waiting to see if it will ever improve enough to be the "if I could only have one sims game on my pc". Right now i could uninstall it and not notice.

I'll play it if I have a short time to kill. It's not my go to sims game.
  • Options
    maicemaice Posts: 167 Member
    Though I feel like I enjoyed sims 2 the most (was it the content? Was it that I was younger?) I really love sims 4. The game is beautiful. I'm in love with my current family that I have played through to gen 6 now. I can't go back to 2 or 3 because of the graphics, as others have said. Even if I made my current sims, they wouldn't look the same.

I feel like 4 is on a roll lately with all the recent content they've put out. Parenthood and now Cats+Dogs are right up my alley. I've gotten bored with 4 occasionally, but I'm certain that it will be more exciting as they continue to put out new stuff.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I pretty much am in the "never look back" camp -- I did play a big of Sims 2 (I have the ultimate collection that EA gave out to those who'd registered their Sims 3 packs) but I just couldn't adjust to the old graphics, the difficulty in building or expanding houses (especially in Autumn when there'd be leaves on the ground you couldn't see or delete), and other issues. And I never installed Sims 3 on my new computer because I remembered all my frustrations with error code 12s and 16s that would kill a save, and because I remembered how much time I'd spend to get a world set exactly how I wanted it, only to have to either do it all over again when a new EP came out, or otherwise abandon my previous saves for the new shiny. I think I only got to a second or third generation only once or twice. I'm finding it hard to abandon my habit of starting over because of that very reason; I'm hoping to keep my Munch families going for a while (currently have them on a short hiatus until the Cats and Dogs release).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Just CAS, that's the only thing I've been doing in TS4 for months.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I'll keep my answer short: CAS
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    FellyanneFellyanne Posts: 10 New Member
    I find the graphics is the biggest reason I can't go back to ts3
  • Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    edited September 2017
    I was never interested in The Sims 2, I guess I was pretty young when it came out to be fair. As for The Sims 3, my laptop didn't get on well with it after playing for a few months. I had to have the graphics on the lowest setting, which I started to really hate!
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited September 2017
    Sid Meier's Pirates - Another awesome game (from 2005) that I play when I hit a dull period with my Sims! Even though it's almost over 12 years old, I STILL find it fun to play, even if it's a little "dated".
    RjcBp8Y.png

Only ever heard good things about this game actually ^^

But then I decided to go with AC Black Flag instead of buying this haha.. which I really love to play as well along with many other great, great games (for me anyway) like Ori & the Blind Forest (so much love for this one).

Anyway, to the OP, I play TS4 more than 3 or 2. I don't really "know" why that is, I guess I'm just drawn to it in a way. I loved TS2 to bits and I think they did almost everything right with that game (at that time), but the loading times are so ridiculously long to me now .. I just almost never feel like starting the game up. And yeah, like others have said, the graphics are a tiny bit dated (though the level of detail and care in this game is so great, it's entirely forgivable :)). I also love TS3 actually, there's sooo much to do. There's a lot of fun interactions / traits, CASt is super fun, I love being able to work from home / set up a dating profile / build sand castles or whatever, and the open world lends something entirely unique to the game. And still, despite all of that, I play 4 most of the time nowadays. I really love the art style myself, just like I love pixar / disney style graphics, I feel the emotions have actually gotten better (and, again, no happy buff from decor is a just a must-have, game changing mod lol), and I can't for the life of me get enough of San Myshuno. I loved Bridgeport too but this .. I actually enjoy more :) Like I said, I actually really don't know why I'm drawn to it and I don't even personally think it's the best in the series. But at this time, I still enjoy it very much & can play it for hours on end .. :dizzy:

I mean ... they really are kinda adorable to look at .. :S
    lzXawzj.png
    dQoFcmS.png

ETA: right, also Sims 1 ... well Sims 1 was an a-ma-zing game that I spent more time on than my mom seemed to care for, but no, it's just too old for me to even consider playing today. The only thing I really, really, really miss about it is this table (man, the memories :'( )
    maxresdefault.jpg

• Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Honestly, The Sims 3 is a crashtastic game for me. Well, it doesn't crash all the time for me, but it does crash more than The Sims 4.
    The Sims 2 rarely crashes. I literally can't remember when it last time crashed...
    The Sims 2 is running perfectly for me. However, The Sims 4 has the Parenthood game pack. It changed the game so much for me...
    They really did an amazing job on this game pack. Clubs are the another reason. Love the system, sad when it gets broken.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited September 2017
    I too live sims 2 and 4 sims 1 does not play anymore for me and three plays like poo. I had a good gaming rig could play witcher 3 but could not play sims 3 go figure. So sick of lag i hesitate to download 3 anymore and i own the store. So much money wasted on hoping the thing sims 3 would play i just gave up. I play 4 mostly now but 2 i play on occasion i still wish i had the disks for sims 1 but a fire took them. It played for awhile then it did not after windows 10. I really wish they would make a digital sims 1. I also wish there was a way to put sins 2 and 4 together. To me that would be epic. Sims 3 lags just ruined it for me. I spent more time trying to get it to play than i did playing it.
    I think you are able to make worlds for sims 2 in one of the sim city games and put them in your game never tried it but wish you could put some sims 2 into sims 4 and vice versa
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I haven't gone back to Sims 2 or Sims 3 in a long time. But if and when I do, it's usually because there's a feature that I love or aspect of the game that really isn't in The Sims 4. As a supernatural fan, I Sims 3. When I'm in the mood to play with witches and fairies I load up my save game. But to be honest Sims 3 does not run well on my computer at all and constantly crashes. With Sims 2, I was a huge fan of open for business. So when I get in the mood for retail I'll play that save. I love the shopping bags, and impatient customers & believe it or not, new things have happened in my game that never happened when I played when the Sims 2 was new....my Sim was bit by a werewolf and he turned into a werewolf....I had no idea that could happen.

What keeps me coming back to Sims 4 is the smoothness of the game, which is very fluid and runs well on my computer and I really like the UI. I got myself wrapped up in a few challenges that I thought I'd never play (100 Baby Challenge), & that has my full attention right now. But with Pets not coming out until Nov., I'm sure I'll get bored at some point and will probably switch back to Sims 2. For me, it's all about the features that I like & which iteration does it the best.
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Never played Sims 2, so I don't miss it. Loved Sims 3, but 1) it was too high maintenance. 2) The worlds weren't connected. 3) Impossible to play rotational without mods. 4) It took buying a third computer to finally get a playable game going.

For all its minor annoyances & lack of variety, Sims 4 is really the perfect game for me. The connected worlds & aging options suit my playing style perfectly, and I've had few, if any technical issues. As long as they keep the new content coming, I'll be perfectly happy to play this version forever.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    My laptop can't handle ts3 and ts2 sounds intimidating (I've read about several things that require a total reinstall,) and I don't even know if my laptop could handle the ultimate collection anyway.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    What is the reason you keep coming back to the sims 4 rather then play 2/3?
    i'm still waiting for that reason

so far
    i play TS3
    :trollface:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    I would go back to the Sims 2 if I had the game. I only have the CD and my laptop doesnt have a CD drive.

Which btw, does anybody know where I can download the game? Apparently Origin was giving it for free like 2 years ago and I had no idea. I desperately want to play ts2. :(
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    ElenPink wrote: »
    I would go back to the Sims 2 if I had the game. I only have the CD and my laptop doesnt have a CD drive.

Which btw, does anybody know where I can download the game? Apparently Origin was giving it for free like 2 years ago and I had no idea. I desperately want to play ts2. :(

Just contact origin support and tell them you heard you could get the sims 2 from them if u have a disc. They'll ask u to send them proof that it's your disc and that you know the serial number. If they don't say yes the first time keep trying :D or make up some story around it. But that is the only way. They have to put it in your account.
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    ElenPink wrote: »

Just contact origin support and tell them you heard you could get the sims 2 from them if u have a disc. They'll ask u to send them proof that it's your disc and that you know the serial number. If they don't say yes the first time keep trying :D or make up some story around it. But that is the only way. They have to put it in your account.

Thank you!! Now to find the disc!
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif