Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How many weeks....

In Sims time, the last game lasted 36 weeks before it started going wonky. With the new game, I'm at 15 weeks. How can you make your Sims game last longer in Sims time. For example, 40 weeks. 100 weeks. A million.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I have no idea. My longest game was 12 weeks and there was a move 6 weeks in.
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    Depending on how wonky we're talking, I find doing a MC reset everything every once and awhile if I start having issues really helps.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    I can't tell you how many sim weeks each of the Traveler connected worlds in my ongoing game has progressed because the mouse hover over the clock rarely returns anything that makes sense -- probably due to all of the times I've transitioned active play between them. But it's the same ongoing game I've been playing for coming up on six years now. I've only dropped a couple of worlds entirely from this game and that was out of my boredom with them, not due to performance reasons.

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+For+Better+Game+Performance
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I play TS2 style in this game with my Mods installed and my game is actually so heavily Modded that I use TS2's rotational play to manage my towns to keep my games from glitching out or going down in flames.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    Seriously? I am 42 weeks in. -Literally. -Just reduced my save game 140+MB, to a mere 348MB -I bet You I can get more out of this baby.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • jjames041jjames041 Posts: 65 Member
    28 weeks and no mods going as far as i can go
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I'm nearly 95 weeks in my game. My game runs well in part because I made the world and I made it small and while I can't claim there are zero routing errors, they're very, very minimal.
    I've disabled strays and wild horses, and there are no paparazzi. I use rabbit hole rugs for most venues and have two for school so there isn't a back up of kids trying to get to class in the mornings. There are 25 school-aged children in my world.
    I do use Zerbu's Ultimate Careers and many careers are now open, so there is a little more drain during business hours than there could be but the payoff is well worth it to me at this time.
    I rename and save as once a play session.
    I use MC to reset everything in the town occasionally, depending on how much I have played that month or in a few months. I also reset all sims when something seems like it is slowing the game. I use S3PE to delete all the SNAP files to keep the game file relatively low. The NHD file for my game is roughly 55MB.
    I do use a lot of mods and I also have a significant amount of CC. I have created every sim in my world and nearly every one has a decent backstory, history, friend's list, inventory, decorated home, skills, multiple outfits, and so on. But even so, there are only slightly more than 100 residents in my world, not including service sims like the mail carrier, babysitters, maids, etc.

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited September 2017
    I've probably had an older save that's bigger but my current save is 24 weeks. Generation 4 connected to 7 worlds via NRaas: Traveler and I play on normal lifespan. I just used Save Cleaner to reduce the game size from 208 MB down to 165MB. FPS keeps at 58-60 with stutter when I fast forward. This is how my game always runs so I'm pleased it's still going strong.

- No townie pet adoptions, strays, or wild horses.
    - Paparazzi population allowed 1 if I have the celebrity system enabled.
    - Sims only immigrate when needed for roles if existing townies are already assigned. This keeps the population down.
    - Every few sim weeks, things can start to get clogged around town so I run a town reset with NRaas: Master Controller.
    - Since I'm on patch 1.67, I use Save Cleaner V2 to clean my save files but you can also use S3PE to clean save files manually.
    - I keep High Detail Lots low in graphics settings (1-4). This way the game only renders the surrounding area creating less stress.
    - I "Save As" each time so I'll always have a backup if something goes wrong or corrupts.
    - If I'm playing an EA world, I try to find a fixed version. This often cleans up routing errors. ellacharmed on MTS has a few of the EA worlds fixed.
    - A few of the NRaas mods that help keep my game in shape... Story Progression, Error Trap, Overwatch, Go Here, Traffic, Register, Master Controller, and Traveler.
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • SmilinSimsSmilinSims Posts: 560 Member
    I barely use CC or Mods... and I think that really helps with my games. I never ever have an issue with lag, or bugs. Like...ever.
    Do you want to WIN the new Sims 4 Laundry Day Stuff Pack??? To WIN you MUST be subscribed to my YOUTUBE channel Watch contest video for rules!

acrehk.jpg

SmilinSims wrote: »
    I barely use CC or Mods... and I think that really helps with my games. I never ever have an issue with lag, or bugs. Like...ever.
    That's great, but not all players with vanilla (modless) TS3 games have this experience. Let's not paint all mods with the same brush, if we can avoid it. Many others find that professionally made and supported mods that are intended to improve the game's performance can have a stabilizing influence on an otherwise unstable game -- NRaas Overwatch, ErrorTrap, Register, Traffic, and GoHere plus MasterController for the occasional total town resets, for some examples. I think I would add AwesomeMod to that list, for those so inclined.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • monjr8302monjr8302 Posts: 256 Member
    I use MC, but how do you reset everything?
    edited September 2017
    monjr8302 wrote: »
    On City Hall or an in-game computer, NRaas > MC > Town > Reset Everything.

This will rebuild all sims, lots, and objects in town from the ground up based on the information that MC has on them at the time. It can take a good 10-15 minutes to run, depending on the size and population of the world. It's also pretty disruptive to game play, temporarily. I run this every 6-8 sim weeks or so, some worlds seem to need it a bit more often, and try to do so in the middle of the sim night so that things run the way they should again by sim morning. But it seems to reach and fix glitches that Overwatch and ErrorTrap can't or take much longer to find and fix.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Silly question probably, but can you actually see somewhere how many sim weeks your save is in?
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited September 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Silly question probably, but can you actually see somewhere how many sim weeks your save is in?
    Hover your mouse cursor over the game clock. A tooltip popup should say Week x, Day y. It's world specific though, and isn't always accurate.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!

This will rebuild all sims, lots, and objects in town from the ground up based on the information that MC has on them at the time. It can take a good 10-15 minutes to run, depending on the size and population of the world. It's also pretty disruptive to game play, temporarily. I run this every 6-8 sim weeks or so, some worlds seem to need it a bit more often, and try to do so in the middle of the sim night so that things run the way they should again by sim morning. But it seems to reach and fix glitches that Overwatch and ErrorTrap can't or take much longer to find and fix.[/quote]

Awesome!! Thanks!!
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Hover your mouse cursor over the game clock. A tooltip popup should say Week x, Day y. It's world specific though, and isn't always accurate.

I wish I knew it earlier! Just for "to be proud" reasons. :smile: I had a really long save once but it got corrupted at some point so now I have the same families on a relatively new save. Now it will probably show only 2 weeks or something...
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    5JZ57S6.png
    On City Hall or an in-game computer, NRaas > MC > Town > Reset Everything.

This will rebuild all sims, lots, and objects in town from the ground up based on the information that MC has on them at the time. It can take a good 10-15 minutes to run, depending on the size and population of the world. It's also pretty disruptive to game play, temporarily. I run this every 6-8 sim weeks or so, some worlds seem to need it a bit more often, and try to do so in the middle of the sim night so that things run the way they should again by sim morning. But it seems to reach and fix glitches that Overwatch and ErrorTrap can't or take much longer to find and fix.

I reset everything just like you said to do, but now my school & jobs are not there? The shells are there but when I try to send the child to school, it says there are no schools to go to?! How do I fix this? The town I reset is Appaloosa Plains.

edited September 2017
    @monjr8302 - I have no idea why a MC Reset would cause your game to not recognize your schools unless the game save was corrupt to begin with. This is not typical. Two suggestions;

1 - Run a DebugEnabler Fix Homeworld. DE is a separate mod from MC.

2 - Replace the schools (lots) with new ones.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Ok. Is a DE a separate download then? And I will check to make sure that is not a corrupt save. Thanks!
    Yes. NRaas hosts 39 different mods (plus Ani's that we inherited upon her retirement). DebugEnabler is one of them.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/DebugEnabler
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    The save is not corrupted. When I run the DE will, I still need to update all the rabbitholes?
    edited September 2017
    The save is not corrupted. When I run the DE will, I still need to update all the rabbitholes?
    Sorry, that's not what I meant. Elements of an ongoing game can become corrupt (sims, lots, objects, etc.) without the entire game save rendered unable to load. There are ways to help prevent corruption but there isn't any way to test if it's already happened to some extent.

I'm not sure why your world, or the schools anyway, are acting that way. DE's Fix Homeworld doesn't break anything, the worst thing it can do is tell you that it can't find anything to fix. But if it helps and the schools get recognized and start working again, then I would say they don't need replacing.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    Improve longevity by cleaning caches, folders and don't plum up the inevitable huge amount of mods/CC, clean your savefile(s), and computer by 'hardlocking' your fps vs. screen refresh rate.

-I bow my head @igazor
    -He is yet to fail on many things regardings S3.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
    I'm so confused!! Not sure how to use DE. I did download it. It doesn't show what I need it to, but you can see the school in this pic. So it is there, but in the child's thing to send him to school, it says there is no school. All of the buttons are there, but it just says NRAAS when I click on it.

Screenshot-51.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top