Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't Video With Smooth Edges Turned On *Solved*!

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited June 2018 in The Sims 2
Does anyone remember how to alter the Config.sgr file so a player can video their Sims with smooth edges turned up?

I remember I did this years ago, when BV came out because it bascially defaulted every video card to low-end, but there is no reason this card which is years beyond the one back then, shouldn't be able to video Sims with smooth edges turned up in the TS2UC.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
Post edited by Cinebar on

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2017
    I get the message something like, can't video until you turn off smooth edges..annoying. This is a R7 video card which UC didn't even recoginize a few years ago and had to install the Graphics Rule Program to get TS2UC to work. Is there anything in that which can fix this issue too?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Sorry wish I could help here, but I don't have a clue. I don't video so never even heard of this until now. I tried looking up something about it online, but I got nothing. You might want to ask on a site that knows a lot more, like MTS or Leefish. I don't think there is anything in the graphic rules to fix it.
    I looked all over seems any thread about it on the internet has been archived and removed since I guess it's ten years later.

I finally remembered some of it...

I do recall having to set the Antialiasing to 1 instead of 0 in the config files in our Documents under Video Capture, but that no longer works tried that yesterday.

So, I went digging through the game Config files and don't see anywhere to alter the Video Capture in TS2UC (in game files) from 0 to number 1 to allow players to video with smooth edges turned up. This is a result of BV years ago, and seems the TS2UC doesn't have the same Config files and each EP had back in the day. We used to have to go into every EP Config file and alter that number.

I guess it has a lot to do with which card the Graphics Rule program thinks my card is, it may be listing it as one of the older Radeon cards in the 7000 series or even the R2 mobile, but it's beyond that and not mobile. But with TS2UC installed there doesn't seem to be but one Config file a person can alter and nothing inside the actual game files about Video Capture to alter. Only in documents.

I tried to override this in game with my video card's actual settings but that still didn't turn off the message, though I set my card to supercede the game. :/

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Hi :)

I'm able to Video with Smooth edges on - with my desktop NVidia card but not on my laptop with the Intel card. I have great graphics on my laptop but I can't get it to video in game.
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi :)

I'm able to Video with Smooth edges on - with my desktop NVidia card but not on my laptop with the Intel card. I have great graphics on my laptop but I can't get it to video in game.

Wonder why the Graphics Rule program doesn't make the game let me video in game? This card ATI R7 (right behind the ATI R9s) is way better than the old ATI X1300 I used to have when BV was released and I had to change the config files for it to allow me to video. I wonder if the GR maker thinks my card is mobile.
    edited June 2018
    I'm updating this thread because I finally remembered how to fix this. omg it took me long enough a year later LOL. But I finally searched everywhere for an answer and the old answer had gone missing on any of the old sites like MTS etc. Long gone are the day we can find a fast answer for TS2 problems.

Even though I am using Graphic Rule Maker so TS2UC can see my better video card it would not let me video capture while in game with smooth edges enabled. Setting my video card in it's own panel to allow AntiAliasing didn't work, either.

It's really simple and it took me forever to remember. Literally. :s

Set the 0 in Video Capture to 1 inside the program files not the documents file. This is not even located where the Graphic Rule maker adjusts and changes the Config or CSConfig files. It is located where most people wouldn't look, in User Data inside the program files.

I knew I would finally remember when necessity demanded it. lol

Harddrive, C (if that is where you have TS2UC installed) Program Files x86 (if you have Windows 7) Find The Sims 2 Ulitmate Collection file. If you have Origin Installed it will be inside the Origin Games folder.

Open it to see Fun With Pets listed/SP9 (open the SP9 folder)

TSData/Res/UserData/Config/Video Capture. Open the Video Capture file scroll to bottom where it says Antialiasing change the Zero to 1. Save. We no longer have to do this for every EP or SP with TS2UC. Just inside the Userdata of SP9.

ETA: Sorry I don't know where these files are located in Windows 10. I sent 10 back. :D
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    That's so great to know~Thanks for sharing it. :+1::mrgreen:
  • simskeletonsimskeleton Posts: 605 Member
    edited May 2019
    So sorry to bump this old thread. I just got Windows 10 and tried it because I was having the same issue - its in the same location for me as stated for Windows 7. This PC, C, Program Files x86, EA Games, Mansion & Garden Stuff (for me), TSData, Res, UserData, Config, Video Capture. This tutorial worked wonders! It definitely works to take videos in game with smooth edges on!

However, I checked to see if I could watch the videos on windows 10, and it looks like it is incompatible with the software to view the .avi videos. Maybe there is a viewer and a video editor out there that are able to view and use these?
    edited May 2019
    So sorry to bump this old thread. I just got Windows 10 and tried it because I was having the same issue - its in the same location for me as stated for Windows 7. This PC, C, Program Files x86, EA Games, Mansion & Garden Stuff (for me), TSData, Res, UserData, Config, Video Capture. This tutorial worked wonders! It definitely works to take videos in game with smooth edges on!

However, I checked to see if I could watch the videos on windows 10, and it looks like it is incompatible with the software to view the .avi videos. Maybe there is a viewer and a video editor out there that are able to view and use these?

Doesn't 10 come with Windows DVD or Windows Media Player anymore?

ETA: This seems to be directly related to Windows 10's Media Player issues. Been going on for years after I did some searching for you. ( just one of the many reasons I am glad I didn't keep 10).

This may help in the following link. However, in other suggestions from MS they say to convert the .avi file to WMV...I would advise against that if you run into that suggestion. It's been my experience since XP, if you do that at any time in the life of an .avi file it won't be able to be shared with online sites. (Just a little FYI)

But these suggestions might fix it or not.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/windows-10-wontt-play-some-avi-files-all-of-a/201489dc-cd6f-4783-9c29-4cd31d5a71cb
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    I figured out that my default settings weren't to open the videos with windows media player, so I changed that and now I can at least view them. I still have to find a video editor that works because windows movie maker for windows 10 won't open the avi files.
    edited May 2019
    I figured out that my default settings weren't to open the videos with windows media player, so I changed that and now I can at least view them. I still have to find a video editor that works because windows movie maker for windows 10 won't open the avi files.

I know that feeling, lol. I was so aggravated when Windows 7 watered down it's movie maker that I installed Movie Maker 2.6 because later ones offered by MS had many, many features removed. I don't know if 10 is compatible with Movie Maker 2.6 but it was the closet thing I could find back then when MS changed every thing to that silly Live trash. There are lots of third party programs but I'm not sure they have enough features and I really, really dislike MS removed the features that let us zoom in and start a video from the point of a zoomed in point when they decided to use those live essentials or whatever it was. And I never forgave them for removing windows mail and replacing it with Windows Live Mail....man do I have issues with change, huh, lol
    I don’t like change either, lol probably a reason why I have a hard time playing sims 4 or 3 vs. sims 2. I will look into downloading windows movie maker 2.6.
  • yamandaysyamandays Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi ! I don’t know if this thread is closed but i have a similar problem, i went to the config etc.. and find the file but it won’t let me save it, it says i don’t have the right or whatever, and i really want to use smooth edges but i can’t since when i try to record my game it says i can’t. And this is the only thread that has the same exact issue as me. ( I also tried to save it somewhere else and copy paste it but it won’t change anything, and when i restart my laptop the old settings are back)
    edited March 2020
    That problem you speak about @yamandays was actually a problem with many type files in Windows 7 years ago when 7 first was released. A person would try to alter or rename a file or whatever and the OS would tell you, you didn't have permission. (Even if you were the adminstartor). MS thought people shouldn't be messing with any files. I don't remember how I fixed my OS to allow me to change, and or open or get permission to rename files or alter them etc. since it was years ago.

Also, from my understanding this is also a problem returned to Windows 10. You might have to google how to fix this since it's your machine and MS shouldn't be assuming people shouldn't have control of files such as the one you spoke about.

But I did fix this in my machine years ago (the MS denied permission flaw). Try to google how to fix file that denies you permission then after you fix that for the OS then you can figure out how to change your Config file inside the program files. Which is still the same as it always was fifteen years ago. If you get stuck I may be back over the weekend but don't have much time today. sorry.

ETA: This is for Windows 7, (ownership of files) you will have to find the instructions for Windows 10 sorry out of time today.
    https://www.wikihow.com/Change-File-Permissions-on-Windows-7