Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Open Neighborhood Rather than Open World

In TS3 the entire world was open and i think this contributed to difficulty running the game. In TS4 the active lot and a portion of the neighborhood within the world is open. I'm not sure if this can be done for the current iteration, but in TS5 keep the neighborhood open but include not just the open spaces but also the lots (residential or commercial) in that area. That should be a happy medium between fully open world of TS3 and the half open world of TS4.

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    I could deal with open neighborhood because what I love absolutely best about open world in Sims 3 (which I'm currently playing) is seeing the activity in my sims immediate neighborhood. I like seeing the neighbors coming and going. I like being able to walk over and visit the next door neighbor or run across the street and hang out with a neighbor. What I like best about open world is being able to switch to another household member and check on what they're doing.
  • cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    I agree with Joanne65 open world all the way for 5- no loading screens, no rabbit holes, no disappearing into the void. A proper Sims game.
  • littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    wholeheartedly agree! easy pass on full open world but to have the neighborhoods truly open would be ideal. it's a pain having to hit a loading screen to go to the house right next door to yours.
    6riwm5.png
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited September 2017
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    In TS3 the entire world was open and i think this contributed to difficulty running the game. In TS4 the active lot and a portion of the neighborhood within the world is open. I'm not sure if this can be done for the current iteration, but in TS5 keep the neighborhood open but include not just the open spaces but also the lots (residential or commercial) in that area. That should be a happy medium between fully open world of TS3 and the half open world of TS4.

I feel a fair mix between the two would be a fair compromise. In S2, Sims walked by the lots and could be interacted with. In S3, you could see your neibhbours in their yards and coming and going from their homes.

In S4, you can see sims out and about, but they're difficult to interact with, and you never see them out and about in their own yards. There is an illusion of sims out and about, but the feeling of them actually being present is not there.

I feel a happy medium could be met. An open neighbourhood could definitely be achievable if an open world could be. I would compromise if an acceptable compromise was offered.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited September 2017
    Personally, If It were possible I'd go open world all the way again no doubt.

However at this point (since apparently there's a lot of lower specs), in order to get away from the awful rotating loading screen, I'd settle just a little for a fully open neighborhood sectional. But only if it's like this:

tumblr_ovxuqhH1g21rz1zglo1_1280.png

I feel like that's more than fair even for the lower spec computers. Like absolutely fully opened parts, with no type of loading.

OR

My favorite: cut the openness completely in half. That way one half of the map is completely open untill you get to the other half. Either way, as my mom would say "You gotta give me more to work with" :wink: .

tumblr_ovxuqhH1g21rz1zglo2_r1_1280.png
    Post edited by Dreamie209 on
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • saphnaelsaphnael Posts: 74 Member
    more bigger areas seems awesome but it won't work on San Myshuno, hope they will include more city with bigger areas to explore.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2017
    I agree with Joanne65 open world all the way for 5- no loading screens, no rabbit holes, no disappearing into the void. A proper Sims game.
    I don't mind rabbitholes as such actually :mrgreen: I do mind them when they are used out of 'laziness', standing in the way of potential awesome gameplay (prom, restaurant, shop and ridingschool come to mind). So I'd love a Skyrim kind of system. Open world galore, but for certain lots - visible from the outside though - a loading screen (the purely functional lots like city hall, school and some of the careers can stay rabbithole afaic).
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited September 2017
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    orkhid22 wrote: »

I feel a fair mix between the two would be a fair compromise. In S2, Sims walked by the lots and could be interacted with. In S3, you could see your neibhbours in their yards and coming and going from their homes.

In S4, you can see sims out and about, but they're difficult to interact with, and you never see them out and about in their own yards. There is an illusion of sims out and about, but the feeling of them actually being present is not there.

I feel a happy medium could be met. An open neighbourhood could definitely be achievable if an open world could be. I would compromise if an acceptable compromise was offered.
    And Sims 2's attention to a fitting map is very important to me as well. The fakeness of Sims 4's backdrops is binary. It's a painting, not a real world, and it's a painting that doesn't make any sense at all.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Open neighborhood is fine.

Calculating all the actions of every Sim in the world was never that big a draw for me, as those Sims just weren't that interesting.

Load screens are 30 seconds, tops. Big whoop. But apparently that's somehow inexcusable, even though TS3's load times could be upwards of 5 minutes.

Frankly, TS4 does a fine job of simulating a living, breathing world. But because it's missing a feature from a past game (even though it was a cra.p feature), people just won't let it go.

It's been 3 years, and frankly I'm sick of hearing about it.
    wJbomAo.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I think open world should make a comeback. Technology is advancing and I can't think of a game I play that doesn't have an open world. Open worlds in sims 3 were not optimised well, everyone knows it. But I still love them. I love watching my pets wander the neighbourhood, I love watching other sims out and about (like the couple that just started randomly fighting on the beach) it's a living town and if my sim never goes out they will miss out.

With 4 a semi open world is an okay compromise on paper, execution is another matter. It bothers me that when I'm in San Myshuno for example and scroll out that the majority of the map is just set dressing. It looks pretty but pretty doesn't cut it.

As said already there is a lot of illusion in the sims 4. Particularly in San Myshuno, look down in the financial area and there's lots of fake people walking by. In other worlds community lots fill very quickly but always with the same people that will behave the same way, I'm not sure an open world or open neighbourhood would fix that.

When I play the sims 2 I don't mind closed worlds. I love community lots and the "feel" of them. I love that sims will come and go and just do their own thing and the npc characters that make the lot feel alive. There's a sense of community and you can't guarantee who will appear. So I don't have any problems with a closed world done right. But I prefer open given the chance.
  • SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    While I am all for fully opened world. I can't understand why people didn't like it. Maybe they didn't multitask well with it or something. Even a medium for sims 5 having the neighborhoods being fully open and the world semi closed would be good as well.
    oxv0Rm8.png
  • cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

Calculating all the actions of every Sim in the world was never that big a draw for me, as those Sims just weren't that interesting.

Load screens are 30 seconds, tops. Big whoop. But apparently that's somehow inexcusable, even though TS3's load times could be upwards of 5 minutes.

Frankly, TS4 does a fine job of simulating a living, breathing world. But because it's missing a feature from a past game (even though it was a cra.p feature), people just won't let it go.

That kind of justifies Sims 3's loading times. If a loading screen in S4 is 30 sec max and if I visit 10 places in a session I've now equated Sims 3's 5 minutes loading screen. If I visit 20 places in S4 I've now spent 10 minutes in loading screens. Give me one long load at the start so I can be done with loading screens. And yes Joanne65 some rabbit holes were fun school I liked but if going to wish for future content might as well aim high lol
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member

That kind of justifies Sims 3's loading times. If a loading screen in S4 is 30 sec max and if I visit 10 places in a session I've now equated Sims 3's 5 minutes loading screen. If I visit 20 places in S4 I've now spent 10 minutes in loading screens. Give me one long load at the start so I can be done with loading screens. And yes Joanne65 some rabbit holes were fun school I liked but if going to wish for future content might as well aim high lol

That only works if you change locations every in-game day.
    If your Sims spend their lives at home and only go out occasionally, then it's an unnecessary burden.
    wJbomAo.png
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I wasn't a big fan of the open world, but then again I don't know if I would like it, if it was less buggy. One of the main reasons I wasn't a big fan of the open world are just because they made a mess when producing it.
    For example, I did not like how buggy the game was due to the open world (now, if they did a better job next time that could be fixed). I also hated that when we did get loading screens (vacations etc.) the loading screens were unbearable long, so while I loved World Adventure's gameplay, I stopped using it because it took too long to get to the world. Another problem I had with it was that when a sim wanted to go to the other end of town, it took forever to drive there... it was longer than the loading screens are now and by the time my sim got there all his needs were so low that he could go straight home. Lastly and I know that depended on the computer, my world felt very empty. All lots were empty all the time.

So, I don't need an open world to enjoy the game, but if they added that feature, they better do a good job at it :)
  • HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    If TS5 was open world again I'd be very interested, indeed. Open neighborhoods are fine as well.

I don't mind that TS4 is closed, though.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

edited September 2017

Since when does Sims 3 need load time when visiting your neighbour? (we're not talking to you when adressing this loading time galore we don't like by the way so please don't feel adressed to; you can skip it)

That only works if you change locations every in-game day.
    If your Sims spend their lives at home and only go out occasionally, then it's an unnecessary burden.
    Huh..? (I don't understand what you're suggesting here, to play the game between the four walls of your sims' house or am I misunderstanding?)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    For me it's open world rather than open neighborhood and it always will. Open world only contributed to difficulties due to lousy implementing. I'm not prepared to settle for less just because they messed things up that shouldn't have been messed up. And even messed up I love it.

Except that the open world sucked. The worlds in TS3 were boring, annoying, and it took my sims like half a day to get anywhere. I'd rather not waste my time with that.
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    Okay... I am not a big supporter of the open world myself, but the sims 3 worlds weren't plum. I like Sims 4 worlds, but I also think Sims 3 worlds are well done.
    Both have their nice parts. Some people really hate the backdrops, while I actually like them (I am not a builder though so to me the bachground adds to realism). Doesn't mean the people who hate them don't have valid points
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Everyone has an opinion of the open worlds. Some people like me and others have good experiences with it enjoy and it. I've never found my towns to be empty or have deserted lots for example. Others had performance issues.

I've don't think it's fair to call either world boring though. Sims 3 worlds are gorgeous and full of things to explore. Sims 4 worlds are pretty and there are some really lovely parts, I just ache to explore every inch of the map and kind of wish so much of it wasn't set dressing. But it is pretty.

But let's not turn this thread into sims 3 open world vs sims 4 closed worlds.
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    I'd love to get open world back if it is possible without all the issues sims 3 had, as I could have various sims do different things in different places rather than wind up just playing with the one sim who decided to go to the party or whatever. However, if that's not possible, I agree open neighbourhoods would be much better than what we have at the moment. I'd love to see this happen.
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Open neighbourhoods would be preferable to what we have now but I would still miss being able to drive around the world. I think for me the ideal thing would be to have it where you can see the whole world and travel around wherever you want including some community areas such as parks. Then with the buildings you could have a few rabbit holes such as for jobs and then other buildings would require a loading screen to go in. That way the world doesn't need to load everything at once, just the world and the shells of the building, yet you can still have busy lots if you want to send a sim somewhere. If possible the home lot should always be open and counted as just part of the world rather than something that would require a loading screen to access. Also for any lots that can be entered you should be able to choose whether to send the sim or go with them. Currently the only way for my teen to go out with her friends while I concentrate on her parents and siblings is if I travel to the lot with her and then travel back. I would still want to control sims in the general world or at home when going through a loading screen with one sim though, which should be doable if they leave the home lot open. You could go through a loading screen as well if you want to access another world however each world should be big enough that you wouldn't need to travel somewhere else. In the same way that sims 3 worlds had every lot you could need, whereas in 4 one world has a gym but I need to go to another one to access a library etc. It stops any world from really feeling like my sims home when they're constantly jumping around like this. But of course while this works perfectly for how I play the game, I'm sure it wouldn't for others. Think they're going to struggle to make everybody happy.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    And Sims 2's attention to a fitting map is very important to me as well. The fakeness of Sims 4's backdrops is binary. It's a painting, not a real world, and it's a painting that doesn't make any sense at all.

It's important to me too. As someone who likes to build my own worlds and have the surroundings match or at least look like it belongs with my builds, I am not a fan of backdrops. I don't like them at all.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    For me it's a no brainer. Open world all the way. I just reinstalled Sims 3, and like always no lag at all.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top