Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4's rushed whim system

Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
edited September 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
So, I have no idea, whether guru's read these posts, but...the most useless system in TS4 right now are the whims and it be nice to say the least if they put more than a half an hour of work on it.

I'm not a big TS4 appraiser but I do have reasons, this is one.

And it's not like the whim system would even be *that* hard to revamp considering other things, especially because it doesn't include a lot of animations or fvx (the only animations I can think of are fear related), so if the devs would kindly (stop the Bioshock references Sigzy) put more work on it I'd appreciate it.

What I would like for whims anyway would be somewhat similar to TS2 which is to have about 4 pinnable whims including the "emotion related" ones, fears that will subtract a certain amount of satisfaction points from the points pool whenever they appear (ex. of fear: be abducted by aliens) (none are taken if the current value is 0 but the sim could get a tense or sad moodlet), and a better reward system which includes both the traits we have now but also certain objects (like an emotion manual overrider, or a moodlet solver).

Of course the whims would have to be in sync with the sim's traits and relationship levels instead of being random. I'd also like the option to ask other sims what their whims are, similar to TS2 and when my sim does one for that sim, their relationship increases.

The reason to have the emotion whims pinnable is because it "pushes" the player to make an action with the sim, to reach said emotion, in order to complete the whim, aka, gameplay. And as always it's all optional, but it would make it a much more involved system.
mHdgPlU.jpg?1

Comments

• SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    you get the emotional whim when you already have the emotion though so...
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2017
    Simpkin wrote: »

Which is why the whim pops in and out of existence everytime the emotion switches identity. The whim shouldn't go away, it should stay put even when emotions change, because you want the player to manipulate the sim's emotion, it's the whole point of the emotion system.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited September 2017
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Which is why the whim pops in and out of existence everytime the emotion switches identity. The whim shouldn't go away, it should stay put even when emotions change, because you want the player to manipulate the sim's emotion, it's the whole point of the emotion system.

but it's a lot more challenging and interesting to actually work your way up to that emotion though than just do one whim and have the emotion.

I agree with the middle bits of the first post though.
    edited September 2017
    @Simpkin wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

but it's a lot more challenging and interesting to actually work your way up to that emotion though than just do one whim and have the emotion.

I agree with the middle bits of the first post though.

How so? The whim would stay the same, it's just pinnable. If you didn't do it before the emotion changes you won't lose it like you do now, and you would have to work your way up to that emotion in order to complete the whim :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    mmh, I guess I don't mind that then. It's natural to have whims in the spur of the moment and then have another emotion and have other whims. Maybe just have more than three whims?
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    edited September 2017
    Whims in general are useless in this game IMO. All they do is highlight the lack of unique personalities, all sims get the same completely random whims. The rewards aren't even that tempting, the only one that's worth point grinding is the "always welcome" trait, maybe 2 others. It's quicker to use cheats than to buy and use the potions. It does indeed look like this feature was thrown into the game last minute without much thought put into it.
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Yeah, it's pretty useless and most of the time I forget it exists...

And I doubt they'd bring back fears, this iteration is too happy-go-lucky for that...
    agustd wrote: »
    Whims in general are useless in this game IMO. All they do is highlight the lack of unique personalities, all sims get the same completely random whims. The rewards aren't even that tempting, the only one that's worth point grinding is the "always welcome" trait, maybe 2 others. It's quicker to use cheats than to buy and use the potions. It does indeed look like this feature was thrown into the game last minute without much thought put into it.

but that's the challenge.
    Also, I've never had that trait :D

But something to make you lose the points would be good :)
    edited September 2017
    Omri147 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's pretty useless and most of the time I forget it exists...

And I doubt they'd bring back fears, this iteration is too happy-go-lucky for that...

I hope they do... Bringing fears could also make up for the fact that there is no actual fear emotion so many people requested, which I don't believe is ever coming since they'd have to alter some of the core things of the game with it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    I remember before this game had been released, they were explaining the whim system and were saying how your sim would respond to the world around them, if they go to the park for example they will get a whim to use the chess table there. Which sounds great in theory but in reality it just makes for a lot of shallow whims. I preferred it in sims 3 where they were connected to the sims personality and life so felt deeper, such as having a pregnant sim get wants to have a certain gender or buy a crib. Or having my author sim get wants to earn so much in royalties or write a certain type of book. It felt more based on the actual sim and what was going on in their lives than just being generic and in the moment. Sure there's the odd whim that's more serious but it's still super generic, like every few days an ambitious sim will get a want to get promoted, or a sim will get a want to get a job, just any job, they apparently have no preference for what career they go into. And of course all of my sims are always obsessed with the latest packs I've installed... It feels like I'm being advertised to but after I've already bought the pack. One thing I liked doing in 3 was creating a sim and letting them lead the way via their wants. They would get a want to get a certain job, learn certain skills, talk to certain people. I could just compete their wants and see where it took them. If I tried that in 4 I imagine I would just have a sim that owns a lot of things they don't need and still relies on me to decide what they should do with their lives.
  • 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    samlyt22 wrote: »
    I remember before this game had been released, they were explaining the whim system and were saying how your sim would respond to the world around them, if they go to the park for example they will get a whim to use the chess table there. Which sounds great in theory but in reality it just makes for a lot of shallow whims. I preferred it in sims 3 where they were connected to the sims personality and life so felt deeper, such as having a pregnant sim get wants to have a certain gender or buy a crib. Or having my author sim get wants to earn so much in royalties or write a certain type of book. It felt more based on the actual sim and what was going on in their lives than just being generic and in the moment. Sure there's the odd whim that's more serious but it's still super generic, like every few days an ambitious sim will get a want to get promoted, or a sim will get a want to get a job, just any job, they apparently have no preference for what career they go into. And of course all of my sims are always obsessed with the latest packs I've installed... It feels like I'm being advertised to but after I've already bought the pack. One thing I liked doing in 3 was creating a sim and letting them lead the way via their wants. They would get a want to get a certain job, learn certain skills, talk to certain people. I could just compete their wants and see where it took them. If I tried that in 4 I imagine I would just have a sim that owns a lot of things they don't need and still relies on me to decide what they should do with their lives.

THIS. I also miss the four pinnable wishes. What I really hate (which, admittedly, was a problem in the Sims 3) is that my sims are always asking for things they don't need. You don't need a hot tub. You don't need a pool. You want a TV? You mean radio!
    edited September 2017
    15aewar wrote: »
    samlyt22 wrote: »

THIS. I also miss the four pinnable wishes. What I really hate (which, admittedly, was a problem in the Sims 3) is that my sims are always asking for things they don't need. You don't need a hot tub. You don't need a pool. You want a TV? You mean radio!

I think those wishes make sense for materialistic sims, which is a trait in TS4, but everyone else also has them which, like you said, makes no sense. Totally agree with you.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Off-hand, my main problem is what they're linked to... they're linked to "reward traits," purchased with "points" from completing whims and aspirations, which seems like the remnant of a RL cash system and just feels really weirdly out of place to me, being in a game.

I would rather they be linked more closely to gameplay mechanics, I think. For example (just spitballing ideas) completing a Flirty category whim while Flirty increases the duration of Flirty buffs. Completing a Sad category whim decreases the duration of Sad buffs. That sort of thing.

Alternatively, maybe they could add some sort of "Satisfaction", or "Identity" meter. This thing would be impacted by whether you're completing whims often enough. Whims more relevant to the sims would move the meter up more (ex: an Active sim completing an Energized whim), while whims that conflict (ex: a Lazy sim completing an Energized whim) would actually drain the Identity meter somewhat.

Having it high or low would determine whether your sim feels like they are being true to who they are, possibly resulting in negative or positive moods, or even resulting in a popup-option style of thing, similar to the UI design used in parenthood, where you can choose to change a trait that is being neglected to something else. To keep this from being annoying, the meter could be on a decay path that makes it take a number of sim days (possibly as much as a sim week) before it can reach critical levels of neglect, unless you're just actively spamming activities that go against what kind of person the sim is (like spamming mean interactions as a Good sim).
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    Off-hand, my main problem is what they're linked to... they're linked to "reward traits," purchased with "points" from completing whims and aspirations, which seems like the remnant of a RL cash system and just feels really weirdly out of place to me, being in a game.

I would rather they be linked more closely to gameplay mechanics, I think. For example (just spitballing ideas) completing a Flirty category whim while Flirty increases the duration of Flirty buffs. Completing a Sad category whim decreases the duration of Sad buffs. That sort of thing.

Alternatively, maybe they could add some sort of "Satisfaction", or "Identity" meter. This thing would be impacted by whether you're completing whims often enough. Whims more relevant to the sims would move the meter up more (ex: an Active sim completing an Energized whim), while whims that conflict (ex: a Lazy sim completing an Energized whim) would actually drain the Identity meter somewhat.

Having it high or low would determine whether your sim feels like they are being true to who they are, possibly resulting in negative or positive moods, or even resulting in a popup-option style of thing, similar to the UI design used in parenthood, where you can choose to change a trait that is being neglected to something else. To keep this from being annoying, the meter could be on a decay path that makes it take a number of sim days (possibly as much as a sim week) before it can reach critical levels of neglect, unless you're just actively spamming activities that go against what kind of person the sim is (like spamming mean interactions as a Good sim).

You know, times like these I think the Sims could take a lesson from Dwarf Fortress. :smile:
    Urist Toestwinkled is happy because he enjoyed a good book. (From Book Worm trait.) Urist is sad after watching Keeping Up with the Kardashisims (from Snob trait.)
    There's also a thread on this general discussion forum about choosing your sim's likes and dislikes. I wish you could do that, too. Those likes and dislikes could feed into the whims. Like, after a rough day at work, Bob Pancakes wants some pancakes.
    edited September 2017
    Triplis wrote: »

It's not a store thing. All games had a similar system but it worked better before. It's meant to be a player reward system after playing a sim for a long time, and maintaining his needs and wishes. It's meant to be rewarding and right now it's useless and completely unrewarding.

Regarding those two things you talked about I bolded, they are the aftermath of certain interactions that could be what the whim is telling you to do. So you won't be directly affecting the emotion by completing the whim but by making the interaction, which could have a very similar end result depending on the whim.

Example: sad emotional whim: cry under the blankets - the result of this interaction is lowering the value of the sad moodlet the sim is experiencing possibly making it disappear.

So the end result is the same.

The second thing you said about the meter however, that is a very interesting idea!!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I agree with you. I hate the whims. They are meaningless and shallow and very generic. All my sims get whims to look for vampire information on the computer several times a day, it's like the default whim, if it's not that, it's buying a dishwasher or 1x1 pool. Now these sims aren't materialistic, a lot of the time it's children rolling whims to buy dishwashers (and adults get whims to buy puppet theatres- even if they have one)

To me whims should be like sims 2 wants and sims 3 wishes. Relevant to that sim. Relevant to their Aspiration or personality and traits. Not just some cycle it goes through repeating the same things. In the sims 2 my romance sims never got the wants to get married and have children whereas I can make a simmwith the hates children trait and add the on the ley line lot trait, make them flirty and they will want to have a baby.

Now I just ignore the whims the same way I ignore the checklist aspirations.
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    The best wants and fears system was in sims 2. They were very much based on the individual sim. Hopefully they bring those back in a patch. Right now, I ignore all whims as they are often repetitive amd useless. But I miss seeing what my sim wants and fears and make it more challenging. When they mentioned fears and desires for pets, I was like....mmhmm...maybe they'll patch in those for sims as well. I mean they would have a system that they can reuse. I thought that would be the patch, but then everybody was saying that they will patch in rain. I wonder what they actually patch in
  • aldavoraldavor Posts: 1,387 Member
    IMHO whims are not only shallow and useless, but also nonsensical; I cannot imagine anyone wanting to buy a cooker or fridge when they already have the best and a full set of kitchen appliances; buying gym equipment when a full set is already sitting on their property; practicing programming when their skill level is already maxed; give apartment key to someone when they don't live in one etc.etc.

As I've said before, although I love the game itself and its concepts, it's been poorly and shoddily thought through in terms of execution; it could (and should) have been so much better if only it had been given a little more planning, better resource and more appropriate motivation.
    cat01.gif
    My Website: https://sims4.aldavor.net
    #keepitfree
  • icecoldfairyicecoldfairy Posts: 50 Member
    I also used to let whims dictate the direction that my sim's lives went. I would get them into a certain career or develop skills according to what they wanted, but now they're so shallow that they're basically blank slates and I need to choose everything for them. It was always nice to have some direction from the sims themselves.
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    oh people ... 3 years in & the complaints are still the same about the same problems with this game

i wish the devs would finally take pity :cookie:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    oh people ... 3 years in & the complaints are still the same about the same problems with this game

i wish the devs would finally take pity :cookie:

My complaints are like Pokemon. They evolve over time.

They also faint a lot.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    I agree the whims are useless in this game. I used to love following wants in sims 2, it actually helped shape my sims and their lives. Its not like that in 4, always cycling through the same whims, and theyre not at all unique to sims and their personalities.
    I also feel like the system is completely overlooked now that were 3 years in. When was the last time they added new rewards? I think they added 1 with outdoor retreat? That was the first paid content for S4. Why would they only add new rewards once and never again? If they never added any, I'd never expect more, but they did add 1, so what gives?
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I don't care about their whims, they are going to do what I want them to do.
    edited September 2017
    catitude5 wrote: »
    I don't care about their whims, they are going to do what I want them to do.

Seems like an unnecessary comment, to say the least, on a thread asking for a revamp to the current system. Either way you are not obligated to do them.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1