Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

All the smoke in the air!!!

PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
edited September 2017 in Off Topic Chat
The greater portion of the smoke in the air is from the fire that started in Oregon. It has now jumped the Columbia River and is only a few hours away from me. We are not in any immediate danger at this point due the direction the fire is heading as the moment but all of Washington is in an state of emergency. Not to mention our neighboring states are not fairing to well at the moment. As you can see our air quality is clearly in the red and we have been advised to ware masks.

Please pray for those that have already lost their homes, lives and loved ones, as well as those who are in immediate danger.

uyiHicP.jpg
gixubEr.jpg
oWG3OZs.jpg
mkSUbt3.jpg
Be9nbFF.jpg

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
Post edited by PsychoSimXX on

Comments

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Uh oh. There seem to be a lot of disasters going on these days. Hopefully things will be alright.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    You're not alone with smoke in the air and we've got a lot of wildfires in our area too.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • MRSMLOGMRSMLOG Posts: 21,181 Member
    Same here in western Washington. Ash has been falling like snow and the air is so smokey it feels like I'm living back in so. California (smog) again! :/
  • KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    Yeah I'm in the South-Seattle area and it's so sad. The sunlight has been orange and eerie. And the ash falling is strange and odd, and a horrible reminder of the fires. I'm thankful they're nowhere close, but I'm praying for rain too. :'(

(Gave you a 'like' for adding your pictures. I didn't want it to seem like I liked wildfires. And then I felt awkward so I thought I should explain. I'm awkward. :D )
    giphy.gif

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Bushfires are a part of summer here. Every year.
    It's just not summer if there isn't smoke hanging over the city for a few days.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Western WA has it worse then down here in EA Washington. The sky isn't orange or red but the moon is. All this devastation is just heart breaking. Fire like this are not common on this side of the country but they sure have been increasing over the past few years. Lives, homes, livelihoods and wildlife gone.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I've got friends who lost their home to a bush fire in 2015.
    They lost all their stuff, but they decided that it wasn't all bad, they could rebuild their house the way they wanted it.

Australia has pyrophytic plants that require fire to be able to reproduce. The jokes about everything here trying to kill you aren't quite a myth.

Our firefighters are often sent to other countries to help fight big fires. I know some from here went to the fires in Canada recently, and I wouldn't be surprised if we sent more to the US.

Bush fires/forest fires are scary. And wacky weather makes them more common. Rain before hot dry weather means there's a lot more undergrowth, and it dries out. At least here, most homes have rainwater storage tanks, meaning that even if the home owners don't stay to try to fight the fire, they fire service has access to water, which, with the use of a pump, they can use to protect homes in the area.
    We also have laws regarding the clean up of undergrowth in early summer, to reduce the risk of fire close to homes.

Fires are horrible, and as they become more frequent, people need to do more to prepare for them, and do what is needed to reduce the risk of their home burning.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,072 Member
    edited September 2017
    The smoke is horrible where I'm at too and the air quality is in the unhealthy category. There's been a lot more fires than normal in the U.S. Pacific Northwest this summer. I'm way past ready for it to go away since I get minor respiratory problems when the air is this bad.
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    edited September 2017
    The closest any fires have come to Tri-City area, which is where I am, was Candy Mountain outside of West Richland and it was contained quickly. People were evacuated but the fire was out before it could get close enough to burn any houses. I don't know what started it exactly but from what little was on the news sounds like a brush fire. The wind helped feed the fire but it did clear up the air here enough to point that we can see some blue skies, but it will not last.

I was glad the Multnomah Falls was able to be saved but I wish the rest of these fires could be contained.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    The smoke has reached Central Canada. Stay indoors if you have asthma.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/