Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Retail Store Challenge (UPDATED)

Comments

• SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Another new chapter up for Retail Wars. A long day for both of them. The both hate me right now! lol
    https://soulgal7.wordpress.com/2017/09/12/ch-4-retail-wars-customer-complaints-lost-sales
    that_microwave_is_so_fast....it_ll_cook_your_chi.png
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    @SoulGal7 I am hooked on your challenge story!
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
    @SoulGal7 I am hooked on your challenge story!

Ahhh....thanks :) I really appreciate it! Thanks.
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    Hi, @EuphorialQueen dear! Happy the tips work sweetie! Not sure which one you are using but yes some of them won't stay with the lot! You just have to find the ones that will! I know the little books worked great in mine! But the debug items that are $0 are good only for decor. So they're not a must have!

I can't wait to see your creation sweetie! Do we get some hints at what you may go with for the shop?
    @SoulGal7 just grabbed me a cup of coffee and settling in to read your story sweetie! <3
    @SoulGal7 He gonna be waiting a long time taking his business elsewhere as there is no others like Hank's store! Poor Hallie and her outdoor trait! My sim is packing on the pounds since she started the store! I can't never find the time to take her to the gym, and very little jogging for her! I think I'm on my 7th or 8th week in game now and she has only had 1 Thursday off the whole time and Sunday is spent catching up with everything else she has gotten behind on! LOL Save up your perk points and buy the instance restock perk! I finally got enough to buy it! Loving it best of any!

Hahahahahaha! Lily had to come back all that way to leave Hallie that comment! She shouldn't have stormed out so fast it would have saved her a walk back!

I loved the outfits and no I never knew they were from the trailer! You are so awesome with all the lovely detail in your story's! Loving them!
    Okay so I'm expanding my store and placing some of the large yard toy items to put on sale as I add my 1 item each Friday!
    21740910_1193955574072448_174687336941470371_o.jpg?oh=aa6ed29739cb2b1b572d1c35a781364d&oe=5A45E195

So I'm experiencing in my game stuff disappearing! Is anyone else having this problem? First thing I noticed was the giraffe missing then a teddy bear and some clay items and I its happening during regular business hours! I think I have a thief in Sims 4!
    @BreeMiles - Oh no! A mystery in Toy for Tots! Where is this supposed thief lurking around the toy shop?
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    @SoulGal7 Hallie should tell Don if he wants to spend time with her, he should visit her store and buy stuff. :grimace:
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
    @LegacySims2017 - yes, that was what I was thinking, too! lol
    LOL is in the Toy store! Guess they is in the need for the toys! LOL EQ i'm watching you!
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited September 2017
    Hello!

This sounds like a fun challenge! I'm a big fan of the 'Rags to Riches' playstyle, it's my favorite way to play so this is right up my alley. I've been lurking on this thread and I'm thinking about trying it. I have a few questions though. James Turner (aka The Sims Supply) is my absolute favorite Let's Play/Builder on Youtube. In fact, he was doing a retail Rags to Riches Let's Play when I first found him. His Sim, Lady Bigwallet, had a painting gallery for her store. Ever since watching that series I've planned to try it one day. I've only had one retail store so far and my Sim did sell paintings, but it was also a bakery. I called it 'Artsy Tartsy.'

She also was a Rags to Riches playstyle, but I waited until she was level 10 in painting, cooking, gourmet cooking, gardening and baking before she bought/opened her store. Obviously she had her own house already and was quite wealthy, whereas this challenge would be the complete opposite and a real challenge to get the retail store to be successful.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I have to open the store immediately with purchased stock or can my Sim do some paintings to sell in the store first? I would build the store and her attached apartment and set aside simoleans to cover the cost of doing the paintings. She/He would probably only need one day prior to opening the store for this and I would either stop at 8 paintings to begin, as required, or if it's allowed...

2. Can I paint more than 8 paintings and keep them in my inventory to add 1 each Friday? I've learned from watching others and having my own store that you can make more money by restocking with personally created inventory instead of just using the restock option. It costs money each time you restock an item whereas if you use inventory your Sim has created themselves, it's free.

3. Does the kitchen in the store need the standards? For example; refrigerator, stove, sink and/or dishwasher and one counter? Or, are we allowed to forgo all that and just have a refrigerator? With just a refrigerator, Sims can prepare meals that don't require a stove, such as salad. I'm guessing a cooler, quick meals or a firepit are not allowed since those types of meal options are free, right?

4. How many hours are we required to work each day the store is open?

Okay, that's all I have for now. I have more questions, but some of them will probably be answered with your replies to the above. :)

Loving all the store builds and stories so far for this challenge, y'all are so creative! <3

EDIT: One more question. The rules say that everything earned must come from the retail lot. Does that mean my Sim would not be able to collect inventory from dig sites to sell around the world? I was thinking about opening a store that sells collectibles (crystals, fossils, metals, elements, MySims trophies) might be fun instead of an art gallery. Thanks! :)
    Post edited by Karababy52 on
  • AIRIS6962AIRIS6962 Posts: 5,611 Member

Oh, I´m missing all the fun!

@SoulGal7 , dear, your "Retail Wars" is more fun and exciting every time! Thank you, sweetie! :smiley:

Welcome, @Karababy52 ! :smiley:

I´m going to try to answer your interesting questions:

1.-You can do the 2 options. The number of the items to sell when you open has not a minimum, only a MAX of 8.
    (I started with only 6)
    2.-Yes, you can have them in your inventory. And NO, you have to restock.
    3.-The kitchen doesn´t need to be a standar one. A fridge is fine. Cooler, quick meals or a firepit are allowed.
    I have my store near a park and my sim goes to eat there many often, free of course! :wink: You always can find there people cooking on the
    grills LOL
    4.-You choose the number of hours and schedule.
    5.-Yes, the rules mean exactly that! You can´t sell anything else to have more money.

I hope I explained well. Thank you for your question!
    edited September 2017
    Thank you for the clarifications, appreciate it! Bummer about the restock rule, but it's cool. :) I think you misunderstood what I was asking though for question number 5. I didn't mean collecting to sell right away to make extra money, I meant collecting items to sell in the store. Is that allowed?

Also, I'm a little confused about your answer to @SoulGal7 about replacing stock that hasn't sold. Do you have to wait until Friday to replace it with something else, or can we rotate stock at any time as long as we keep a maximum of 8 items until we're allowed to add more on Friday? It's a little confusing... the rules say you can't add new items until Friday, but if you replace an unsold item during the week with something else, isn't that a new item? I thought you could only use the restock option instead of replacing items with something new?

Forgive me for not understanding, it might just be lack of sleep on my part. o.O :)

Oh! I see. Sorry.

Yes, you can have a Store of collectable items, but you will have to restock them. You can replace or/and add one per week always on Friday.

I hope I answered both questions! :wink::smiley:
    Ah, okay, I get it now. You can't replace anything during the week, only one item on Friday. Thanks for clearing that up! :) Okay, now after all that I'm thinking it wouldn't be very profitable to do the painting/art gallery idea or collectibles. It's good to know I can do that if I wish though.

I have another idea for a store now, well I have a couple ideas actually, so I'll go get started and see which one works best. Thanks again! <3
    @Karababy52 - welcome and join the retail madness!
    @AIRIS6962 & @BreeMiles - are you doing a blog on your retail store? I'd love to read it.
    Thanks for the welcome @SoulGal7 & everyone else! I put a store together rather quickly last night for one of my ideas, used all funds available down to 1 simolean. o.O It could use a bit of sprucing up though so I'll use the lovely debug to find some goodies later tonight. The store also needs a name. The temporary one I gave it before closing the game is a bit lame.

I'm excited to create my store owner now and get started! I'll be back later tonight or tomorrow with some pics and details. I don't know yet if I'll blog about it. Not sure if I'll upload the lot to the gallery either. Right now it's just your basic bare bones box store, a bit embarrassing compared to my normal clutter-loving builds. lol Let's see how I feel after debug decorating. There is virtually no landscaping either, the front of the store has some, but it needs TREES! I love trees! :)
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcome @SoulGal7 & everyone else! I put a store together rather quickly last night for one of my ideas, used all funds available down to 1 simolean. o.O It could use a bit of sprucing up though so I'll use the lovely debug to find some goodies later tonight. The store also needs a name. The temporary one I gave it before closing the game is a bit lame.

I'm excited to create my store owner now and get started! I'll be back later tonight or tomorrow with some pics and details. I don't know yet if I'll blog about it. Not sure if I'll upload the lot to the gallery either. Right now it's just your basic bare bones box store, a bit embarrassing compared to my normal clutter-loving builds. lol Let's see how I feel after debug decorating. There is virtually no landscaping either, the front of the store has some, but it needs TREES! I love trees! :)

I can't wait to see your build and your retail sim! Woot!
  • leashahamptonleashahampton Posts: 312 Member
    So for the past week or so, I've been doing this challenge, although i must admit i have broken 2 rules! :s (i started with 8 items, but then every Friday i would add up to 4 more, the other one is i just had a 25% mark up everyday) I had never actually owned a shop as my main source of income in the game, I've found it really fun! especially starting from scratch. My latest version of my shop that i built (which i decided to do on a Friday once my cash was at 20k) also has way too much product in it, but i wanted it to look authentic to my idea :) So obviously as I'm a rule breaker this is not an official entry!!

My store - The Holiday & Party Store https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/E1C0B52499D811E789CF25E69F25B238

From Humble beginnings 7ECgPWB.png

Where Christmas, Halloween & Party supplies meet wNxP3HL.png

My first Employee ( I feel i can make more money with out them though!! ) iCaM0An.png

My sim Alayna stands proudly in front of her newly decorated store vKmEpUq.png

Alayna is a very outgoing sim, and has made friends with about 10 or so customers, unfortunately all the males seem to be married!, so as she continues to grow her store her next challenge is to find a suitable spouse!
    rzsH227.png
    Hi Everyone, A new chapter is up for Retail Wars. Wednesday already! What will the day hold? Who will win today?
    https://soulgal7.wordpress.com/2017/09/16/ch-5-retail-wars-work-work-work
    katrina_hates_this_outfit.png
    @leashahampton - welcome! You have been busy! Wow! What a great idea for a store! It's so cute!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top