Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else uncomfortable with yelling at pets in the Sims?

2...Next

Comments

• TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    Let's just cut to the chase here:

How many people have never, at some point, shouted and screamed at their monitor screen whilst playing a Sims game?

Come on - everyone has done it

Why be worried about a Sim screaming at a Pet when you are SCREAMING at the pair of them?
    Lol! Too true...
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    In the Sims 2, (don't know about 3) there was an option to yell at your pet. Of course it would lower friendships, and eventually could make them run away to find a better home.

From my experience with animals, I always felt extremely uncomfortable with having this kind of interaction. Never in my life have I used it on a pet.

Oh please....do you also want to remove the mean interactions from the pie menu completely? -.-
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    edited August 2017
    @Zoaea scolding dogs isn't effective to teach them because you need to catch them in the act. If you point a mess he did 15 minutes ago, all he knows is that you're angry, so he does that regretful face, but he doesn't know why. So if a dog is doing something wrong, you teach him what's right, try to redirect his attention and wish for the best.

Positive reinforcement is better, that's how police, guide dogs and such are trained. But you need to reinforce the behavior right away. If you do it 1 minute later, they think you're approving whatever they're doing or thinking at that exact moment, like thinking about food, about nothing at all and so on :D
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    Jerrello wrote: »
    Um yelling at a pet is an effective way of training it to stop doing something it shouldn't. And whoever above said yelling at a cat does nothing isn't true either. I have one and any time she is doing something I don't want her to I firmly yell "Hey!" And she immediately meows and stops what she's doing because she knows she's in trouble. Depends on the cat and how consistent you are in your approach.

It's not like most people yell at their pets for the fun of it. Some people are too sensitive...this is why so many things are watered down these days, including this game.

Exactly. It's an "option". People raise their children differently and the same goes for pets. Remember the phrase "You Rule"? Just rule your own game lol

Thank you!!! Complaining about a feature that's not game breaking and can easily be ignored is what gets so many things taken out of these games...
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    I play Sims 3 Pets and I don't think I've ever used an interaction like yelling, I assume there is one but I'm not certain. I've used the scold interaction when trying to train them for a trait.
    I currently have two dogs(one is 7 months old) and three cats. When the puppy is doing something she shouldn't a raised voice is the only thing that gets her attention and my cats(worst cats I've ever had and I've had a lot) hate each other, every time one of them starts something you have to yell or they'll get in a fight and try to kill each other.
  • JumpingTrainsJumpingTrains Posts: 442 Member
    ....where did I ask to not have this interaction in the game?

• JumpingTrainsJumpingTrains Posts: 442 Member
    Going all "UGH THESE DUMB PEOPLE WANTING FEATURES TO GET REMOVED UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH" when I never stated that is not a good look.
  • ZoaeaZoaea Posts: 79 Member
    ....where did I ask to not have this interaction in the game?

Ah, well it is easy to misunderstand, especially in text format (minus body language).

So to clarify, you are making a discussion on; do some people feel bad about using mean interactions like yelling on a pet?

In that case I'd answer, yes. I try to make selections for my sims that fit their personality, I have trouble with the ones that hate kids or are mean. XP so if I have whims to yell at a pet I'll probably feel a twinge. But the mean interactions on kids will still be the worst!
  • AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    If your beloved pet is running into a busy street, I imagine you would yell very loudly.

I did this the other day when my beagle ran in front of a semi that couldn't see her. I just about had a heart attack and yelled 'stop' until both she and the truck stopped. Sometimes, one has to do what one has to do.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I'm not eager about yelling at my pets, but the option is there for yelling at your kids, so it's optional.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    In the Sims 2, (don't know about 3) there was an option to yell at your pet. Of course it would lower friendships, and eventually could make them run away to find a better home.

From my experience with animals, I always felt extremely uncomfortable with having this kind of interaction. Never in my life have I used it on a pet.

It wasn't called 'yelling' it's called scolding and no I have no problem scolding animals but positive reinforcement will always work better for animals.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Zoaea wrote: »
    Ok so I'm not a dog person, but if you don't scold them for doing something wrong how else would you teach them? It's not like they will understand a calm explanation of what they did wrong. I'm quiet sure shock collars and smacking are worse but also accepted forms of animal disipline. They understand pecking orders and dominance and tone of voice.

Anyway, this is why I stick to guinea pigs and chinchillas. Even then I'll copy their own sounds to give warning of displeasure if they bite. (Being rodents it's quieter than yelling)

If a dog uses the bathroom indoors never scold. That's your fault and not theirs they are just being dogs. But what you can do is run the puppy outside everytime they need to go (you learn this by watching them) and then cheer and praise when they use the bathroom outside. They learn within three days this is what they should do. But puppies can't hold their water as long as an older dog. So, if an accident that's on the owner never the dog.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I couldn't stand the thought of them getting yelled at. :'(
    Gallery ID: babysquare
    BabySquare wrote: »
    I couldn't stand the thought of them getting yelled at. :'(

Is it offensive to point at your dog and saying very firmly No! ? They are smarter than you think.
  • ZoaeaZoaea Posts: 79 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Zoaea wrote: »
    Ok so I'm not a dog person, but if you don't scold them for doing something wrong how else would you teach them? It's not like they will understand a calm explanation of what they did wrong. I'm quiet sure shock collars and smacking are worse but also accepted forms of animal disipline. They understand pecking orders and dominance and tone of voice.

Anyway, this is why I stick to guinea pigs and chinchillas. Even then I'll copy their own sounds to give warning of displeasure if they bite. (Being rodents it's quieter than yelling)

If a dog uses the bathroom indoors never scold. That's your fault and not theirs they are just being dogs. But what you can do is run the puppy outside everytime they need to go (you learn this by watching them) and then cheer and praise when they use the bathroom outside. They learn within three days this is what they should do. But puppies can't hold their water as long as an older dog. So, if an accident that's on the owner never the dog.

Ah ic! Well I hope I never have to deal with a cat or dog irl. xP I like to pet or play with other people's and leave the hard work to them! I think clicker training for tricks seem fun too, I hope they have a good training system in game. =o
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    Sometimes it is better to yell than to beat :) I mean as a punishment.

I have no idea why I wrote this. I am sorry.

I laughed so hard at this. You bought tears to my eyes oh goodness
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
    edited August 2017
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    Well my cat is completely deaf so when I yell at him, I do it for fun. But as a method of scolding or punishing I really tend to avoid it with any animal.

Especially with young pets I feel like they're very much like little kids, and I wouldn't yell at a kid for doing something wrong. There's better and friendlier ways to let them know if they did something wrong.

My dogs know when I make sound that sounds like 'ant' they should stop. It's not harsh or mean tone just a hey don't touch it sound. I don't even have to turn around. They stop and don't touch my plate on coffee table. lol
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Sometimes it is better to yell than to beat :) I mean as a punishment.

I have no idea why I wrote this. I am sorry.

You should NEVER strike a pet, because that's how aggressive behavior begins! You wouldn't deck your child for misbehavior, would you? Yes, sometimes, you have no choice be to scold, but NEVER under ANY circumstances should you hit! Any pet can be trained to behave without being beaten - even cats!

I had my cat trained so, if she was misbehaving, I could snap my fingers - one hard snap - and she'd immediately would stop doing whatever it was. I even trained her to come to me by snapping my fingers - several light snaps - and she came EVERY single time.

The key is to praise once they obey the command - not punishment. If you tell your dog to "come" - don't pop them for going near the road! Praise them for coming back. Otherwise, they'll think they're being punished for coming when you called!

Don't make me post a SPCA video (with Sarah Mclachlan singing) here! :bawling:
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Do we even have a "Yell At For...." option? I know we have had a SCOLD option in past games. Scolding isn't yelling, IMO, it's more stern talking.
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I'm glad, because even though I wouldn't personally yell at an animal, I can use it for a character.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited August 2017
    Dogs don't have great short-term memories in real life. If you scold them for something, they assume that you're scolding them for whatever it is that they're doing RIGHT THAT MOMENT.

So if your dog is eating off the table you can get across the message that this isn't good - but only if you catch it right in the act. If you call at it to stop and then punish it, it assumes you're punishing because it stopped. Or if you know it's eaten off the table but it isn't any more, punishing it won't work because it doesn't remember what warrants the punishment.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    Loanet wrote: »
    Dogs don't have great short-term memories in real life. If you scold them for something, they assume that you're scolding them for whatever it is that they're doing RIGHT THAT MOMENT.

So if your dog is eating off the table you can get across the message that this isn't good - but only if you catch it right in the act. If you call at it to stop and then punish it, it assumes you're punishing because it stopped. Or if you know it's eaten off the table but it isn't any more, punishing it won't work because it doesn't remember what warrants the punishment.

Exactly animals live in the moment not one second before or one second after, unlike people.
  • DKguruArtistDKguruArtist Posts: 298 Member
    Thought some said was unhealthy to yell at pets, you have to use a decided tone instead so pet knows you're serious and not happy about something it did. Further do it while it's doing it so connect the picture with what it's doing wrong rather than later, when it might not know what i did wrong.