Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Horses? No. Stop.

14567810...Next

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2018
    I can't help but giggle at how people are putting reality stats on pixel horses. You DO know they're pixels right? You do know that to have a real horse you need 2 acres per animal...but these are pixels. Somehow I don't think that any of the Sims dimensions would support what you think. It's a cartoon, it's a game, it's fantasy. For people that accept having werewolves (hint hint) and Vampires in a world and where blue and green aliens walk the street that there are those that are putting reality logic into the game..pffft lol Not everyone is going to want to breed horses. Not everyone is going to make sure every single household has a horse. Everyone plays differently so why deny those that want it that chance because someone out there is complaining about proper space or cruelty...(again you know these are pixels right?). I currently have an empty lot next to my Sims household that I put the three styles of rockets on, a microscope, an observatory, and a few other fun things and made it more a private lot so they can go there any time and not be bothered by townies. There's nothing stopping me (or anyone else for that matter) from bulldozing down all that I put there and put a small stable up for a horse or two. I have a museum on the biggest lot in one of the towns that can easily be moved to something smaller for a big horse ranch instead. There are so many options for me and I'm willing to accommodate. If we get them it'd certainly make my cowboy the happiest guy in all of Sims land....but if we don't he won't know any better because you can't miss what you never had. Heck, I would bulldoze all the houses on lots, put everyone in them in apartments in the City and have an entire world of horses for my boys to enjoy. Take all of Oasis Springs and make it a huge ranch for my two Sims to own and operate. Yeah, I'll have to deal with cars zooming by and stuff, but that could just be their "staff" haha...There's lots of space for those who want to play that way. There's always ways around everything, but to put reality stats or deny people things because it won't work for you is no bueno.

I know what real horses require - we had 7 and 500 acres on my grandparents farm.

My stats were from Sim Horses - not real horses and what they required in Sims 3.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I would like horses back in the game, but let's face it, they are going to be a challenge. The lots, in general, aren't big enough for horses or barns and a horse, like a dog or a cat, would be a member of your household and count as such. But here are my ideas to solve some of the issues.

If you want to own your own horse.
    If you want to own your own horse(s), they can be created in CAP just like cats and dogs are now. You give them their own unique look and personality and equipment, saddle, bridle, etc. If your lot is large enough, you may add/build a barn, fences, etc., whatever your horse needs. If your lot is too small, you may stable your horse on a SPECIAL public lot containing a public rabbit hole stable where the horses are taken care of by unseen stable hands. You may click on the building and choose from options in the pie menu like "clean out stable", "brush horse", "feed horse", and other things that you do to horses to see to their upkeep, all of which happen in the rabbit hole stable. There will be a fee for stabling your horse and having it taken care of while you're busy elsewhere.

Imagine the 64x64 lot in Brindleton Bay is a public stable. It would have a rabbit hole stable, paddock for exercising or grooming, a race track for speed training and a jumping course for training your horse. There is also plenty of "pasture" land on the lot for your horse to graze. You may click "call horse" and your horse will leave the stable and join you in the paddock where the same "care" options are available to you to experience. You can also exercise your horse by simply riding around the paddock, or you may ride your horse to any lot, in any world, but take care, too much riding and your mount will tire out. However, at any time, from anywhere, you may send your mount home (to the rabbit hole stable or your barn) where it will be taken care of. These horses are a part of your household regardless of where they are stabled.

If you don't want to own a horse but want the experience.
    The public rabbit hole stable would also be available for sims that would like to "rent" a horse for the day to experience the fun of riding or exercising or grooming horses. These horses do not become a part of your household. A click of the stable opens the pie menu which presents the option to rent a horse being stabled. These horses are not owned by other sims, so your pet horse will not be rented out when you play a different household. The same options apply to the rented horse as apply to your owned horse. If you have a favorite horse, you have the option to "tag" it as a favorite to be available anytime your sim wants to rent it. These horses may also be purchased if the rider and mount relationship reaches a certain level. Both rider and mount may get a pop-up saying that one or the other would like to make this a permanent situation and the option to purchase will appear.

How would horses breed?
    If you wish to breed your horses and they are stabled on your home lot, breed them as you would dogs or cats, but you need household slots to be available for a foal or it won't happen.
    If your horse is boarded at a public stable, you click the stable and an option to breed with one of the rentable stable horses appears. You may not breed with other owned horses. After the birth of the foal, it will be stabled with the mother horse. A fee will apply to the new foal as well and be added to your bill. If your horse is the mother horse, you have access to it just the same as the mother. If your horse was the father and the foal is stabled with the rent horse mother, you still may have access to it by choosing to "call" it like you can call the father. Horses will not randomly breed as they are in separate stalls. Foals are small and young like puppies and kittens and are limited so they may not leave the public stable lot.

What if I wish to no longer own a horse?
    Any owned horse may be sold via phone to the public stable where it may become a rentable horse. If it lives with you, sell the horse via the phone and a stable hand will come to your lot and take the horse away. If it is stabled at the public stables, it can happen via the phone from home (or anywhere) or you may travel to the stable and choose from the pie menu option to sell. The same applies to a foal however foals are not rentable.

These are a few of the ideas I have after reading a few of these posts. What are your ideas?

One problem right off the bat with that idea is the fact we cannot own anything on a lot that does not belong to our sims - so how can we own horses in a public stable? Remember not everyone uses mods that can sometimes alter programming like that.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I don't use MODS or CC in my game either, but surely boarding a horse on a community lot wouldn't be all that different from owning a restaurant on another lot. You still own it when you close it and go home and come back the next day. It's just a bit of programing. Surely the devs could handle it if they liked the idea of it. That's one reason I made it a rabbit hole. I think rabbit holes can be more flexible than normal lots. I concede that owning the horse as opposed to it being rentable might be more difficult, but if it is then, just make the public stables for rentable horses only, however your sim and horse could still use the grounds around it where the race course, paddock and jumping course are located, sort like a horse park.
  • Options
    One other thing, I hated the herds of horses roaming around the worlds. That would never happen in real life (I know, this isn't real life) and I know that was way to obtain a horse. That's why you can create a horse in CAP or buy one from the public stable the way you adopt cats and dogs. Now, there's no need for herds of horses roaming around the worlds.

As for UNICORNS, I don't need unicorns in my game but I know others want them, some badly. So, being a part of a Horse pack would be fine with me but I would also like for them to add ponies for kids to ride and burros, well, it's a burro, how cute are they!
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    If we're going to be bothered by horses, there better darn well be unicorns. And I want them to have EXTRA glitter this time!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I don't use MODS or CC in my game either, but surely boarding a horse on a community lot wouldn't be all that different from owning a restaurant on another lot. You still own it when you close it and go home and come back the next day. It's just a bit of programing. Surely the devs could handle it if they liked the idea of it. That's one reason I made it a rabbit hole. I think rabbit holes can be more flexible than normal lots. I concede that owning the horse as opposed to it being rentable might be more difficult, but if it is then, just make the public stables for rentable horses only, however your sim and horse could still use the grounds around it where the race course, paddock and jumping course are located, sort like a horse park.

Well if they could then why is there an issue with a vet being put in a Penthouse lot or an apt in City Living - and it says point blank you can not have a vet clinic in a building you do not own. Yes you can have restaurants, clubs, retail and just about anything but you cannot have a vet because it is owned by the landlord of the building. Different rules apply when it involves animals apparently. You also could not leave a family member - which horses are - on a lot with out your sims owning it - even though the pets can run away - you cannot purposely leave them anywhere without your sim. So animals have different rules apparently. There are complaints about this very thing on the bug thread. Also we can't own rabbit holes and household member can only be at rabbit holes except during certain hours - when our adult sims are not home. So technically horses would have to come home as they are family members just like dogs and cats.

Simply put, to have horses we need bigger world filled with bigger lots

Some places do have wild horses - believe me - saw them in Texas, Montana, the Dakota's and plenty other places over my life time - but believe me they are not friendly - just beautiful to watch - from a distance. But doesn't matter - as you stated this is not real life. The town that came with Pets in Sims 3 was based on a state known for it's wild horses. But the very fact there were also Unicorns - well what does that tell you. Not everything in Sims is based on real life. LOL.

Hmmm I have spent my whole life looking for Unicorns "in real life"- lol.

The sims do not allow kids to ride and I don't ever see that changing because of the stretch factor that happens when kids are made to use things adults use. EA will never program both - they just won't as we have pleaded with them for ages - at least since Sims 3 pets.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    I haven't tried putting a vets office in an apartment building, frankly, the idea seems silly to me. The apartment lots and penthouses are equal to a neighborhood lot, so maybe the problem is ease of access to that lot. Maybe the problem is with pets and "elevators". Maybe they can't reach the buttons. LOL!

As for pets running away, they must go somewhere temporarily because they come back pretty much the same as when they left. Leaving a horse household (I really wanted to type horsehold ) member in a rabbit hole would be similar to a pet going "somewhere" when they run away. It can be done, it just needs to be done right and with as few possibilities for bugs as there can be.

I would think kids riding a horse closer to their own size would work better than them riding a horse so much bigger. In a simplistic way, a kid is half of an adult and a pony could be half of an adult horse.
  • Options
    Panic_AtTheEmmaPanic_AtTheEmma Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Writin_Reg said:
    > Baenre wrote: »
    >
    > OP I'm sorry you're "triggered" because some people find horses a normal thing in their life and would like for it to be in a life simulator that is about to release a pets EP. So sorry for the inconvenience and any discomfort it may have caused you. I understand that healthy coping skills are not really required in this day an age, all people have to do now is say they're triggered and everyone gets policed to keep what's perceived as criticism of something they like, to themselves. It's all good though, no anger or anything coming from this side of the screen, I'm more finding this a little humorous that someone is triggered because some people are not happy about lack of horses.
    >
    > I am one of the people who would have loved horses to be included in this next EP, but I'm not having some meltdown because it's not happening. Am I disappointed yes? Will I still get the EP, I don't know? Not because of the lack of horses as I still love the other animals, but because I wait for reviews and in-game tours by other people before I decide if I want to add it.
    >
    > If they're saving the horses for something else, great, I'll be happy to see how they're implemented. If they never come, well that's too bad and that will just one more thing I can add to my list of things that are missing for some peoples' enjoyment. Cheers.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Me too - horses were and are always will be a big part of my life. Without horses I would not have had much of a childhood for sure. Picturing life without horses is far more stranger to me than with horses.

You guys are being ridiculous. Can't you just respect EA? They spent so much time making this, the detail and the content is amazing. And you rich kids are whining about not getting another pet? Do it yourself and stop criticizing EA. Thanks to all the whining I'm sure EA, being as wonderful as they are, will provide you with a horse or farm animal pack. But will that be good enough for you? Probably not you'll just find another thing to criticize them about. Just be grateful for what you have jesus.
  • Options
    fionaloveserranofionaloveserrano Posts: 584 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I think a lot of it is also just people not wanted to feel like they're getting less. I for one loved the horses and unicorns in sims 3. And if they make a farm pack with them, yeah I'm probably going to buy it. But because the title is "Cats & Dogs" and not "pets," people are worried about getting less than there money's worth. We don't even know if we are getting small pets or not. Or Foxes and raccoons (though I heard they are playable.) Yes. Making a Video game, coding, doing all that is hard work. It isn't that people are ungratful and whinny, they want to feel like they're 40$ is worth it. I think if this was a Game pack, people would be more forgiving. And then there are those who don't want to be nickled and dimed and have to pay for 3 packs (if they do multiple pet packs.) Espeacially since past iterations had these things in one pack. (sims 1 had cats and dogs and birds.) It all boils down to "does it feel like I'm paying for less content?"

Since this is the first time we've had a Pets pack that doesn't recycle Pets from previous games, we might be paying for less content, but more workmanship.

Like, we previously paid for recycled content and a few small pets, and horses. Now we're paying for brand new content.

As someone who played Urbz, The Sims 2 & The Sims 3, I've become really bored with Pets over the years because they are always. the. same. After 10 years, it was predictable.

This is the first time that I'm excited because we'll actually get some new Pets, with brand new animations, AI etc. I'm excited that Cats roam around the house like a full on cat (like climb furniture, bench tops, tops of fridges etc) rather than just the usual.

LOL

Since when did they recycle Pets from TS2 into TS3? Go sell your lying propaganda somewhere else. Just the fact that you are saying that proves you've never played either game with Pets.

no it’s actually true ! they’ve even admitted a lot of things from previous packs were recycled content w a new coat of paint that’s why they’ve been able to give us more stuff . it’s not a bad thing but these new games are completely new and not based off anything at all from the old games . it’s quite fascinating to be honest . and Cats and Dogs was amazing ! people , including myself, thoroughly enjoyed it . and many believe it to be one of the best let’s pack of the series . it changed the game immensely . they focused on two of the pets most people have so they were the best and most realistic ever .
  • Options
    NathanANathanA Posts: 39 Member
    I don't really care for the addition of Horses, but you can't make out that they're not pets. People do have horses, and they become a part of their life. My friends life evolves around his horses. So since the Sims is a life simulation, it makes sense for horses to be in it. In my opinion, it makes more sense for horses to be in the sims than it does for any mythological animals and people never really complain about most of those guys.

Horses can work in The sims 4, because even though there isn't an open world, the neighbourhoods we get are pretty large. Large enough for horses to exist. Just look at outdoor retreat? If there could be an equine expansion involving a large world, horses and other things, I think that'd be fair. Horses are a part of life and it's only natural for them to be a feature. There could be adventure zones, stables and homes in that world. People who want horses would buy it, but that kind of world will also appeal to others most probably. Since it'd be country themed. We are getting a lot of country themed furniture lately.

I believe that soon horses will be added. But harassing the Sims 4 team isn't the way to get them. It does work sometimes, but it's impolite. The sims 4 with it's content is a wonderful game as it is. We should all just be patient, and then the team gets more time to create packs and less time to read through all of these complaints.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    The worlds we're being given are getting bigger, or at least they feel bigger, even if they're not open. This will make it worthwhile having horses to ride.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    babybunnymeisbabybunnymeis Posts: 78 Member
    Are we seriously acting as if they reached for the stars for is for creating the same old content from scratch for a new installment? Are we seriously defending them for bringing less and less content to the EPs because they put minimal work into it? Game development is supposed to be work, not copy+pasting, so what’s there to defend? 🐸🐸🐸🐸, they had to make 4 animals which are actually only 2? Yeah, that surely was too much work for a game developement studio and we should stop demanding so much. We rather buy another stuff pack to make up for the lack of content in the EP, isn’t that right? No? Well, now we are. And for all of you feeling like you have to defend the dev team for lifting a finger every once in a month surely deserve to do so. If EA had any respect for their customers, they‘d include MORE into the base game and extras of one of their most profitable titles of all time. You know, to reward loyalty, give back to the community and all that. Yet they do the opposite.
    This isn’t about whining, this is about not letting greed ruin the entire franchise. But apparently, we are too late for that anyways. I lose respect for EA and the whole The Sims Team more and more by the month, because no matter how little I expect from them by now, they never fail to disappoint me. And I‘m sure about everyone who was with them since the first installment feels the same. Yes, I‘d be willing to buy an extra expansion pack to add horses and really implements the theme well, but it would have to be lightyears ahead of what we got in TS3 Pets if they get their own EP – not the same and surely not another shortcut! But now we even have to pay extra for hamsters and other basic, small features that should be included in the original EP, so getting something better than in TS3 is basically already off the table for good.
    Being a loyal Sims fan really is one of the most disappointing positions in the gaming world today and the franchise probably won’t survive continuing like that – unless, of course, there are enough naïve new players to rob.
    Reading how you people support this just makes me so incredibly sick by now, I‘m sorry.
  • Options
    babybunnymeisbabybunnymeis Posts: 78 Member
    And before you think I‘m just a downer about it all, that’s definitely not the case. When TS3 Pets came out I was so excited about all the new features, I wouldn’t sleep all night on the evening before the release just planning on my gameplay with it, then first thing in the morning travel 5 towns over by bus to reach the nearest store which already had it on the first day so I could buy it as soon as the store opened in the morning. I was the first person in the region to buy that game. And I wasn’t disappointed with my purchase, quite the opposite. I was so excited and happy with it!

Sadly, these times are over for good now as it seems.
  • Options
    MyMisticaMyMistica Posts: 1 New Member
    I've been trying to read through all of this but some of the arguments are just getting downright petty and ridiculous so I shall only add something that was very important to me in TS3 and doesn't seem to have been discussed here.
    Many people in the Sims community enjoy having blogs about their Sims and one of the best parts of having horses in the TS3 was the ability to compete in horse shows put on by other members. Your actual Sim wasn't competing but through the use of CC and photos/photo editing, players could create incredible images of their horses "in action" and show in fun competitions. Many people have entire websites devoted to their own personal stables and entire forums for shows. This has now continued with dogs and cats for TS4 but now people (including myself) are incredibly disappointed because we don't have the option to continue with horses. There were several glitches with horses in TS3 that I and many others were excitedly hoping would be fixed in the TS4. We honestly did not expect them to be removed entirely. Disappointing would be an understatement. Even if the world is no longer open, there are still plenty of things horses could do both in and outside of the game, especially if we were allowed larger lots. I had a blast training my horse on my own property in TS3 and breeding foals with increased stats. I actually spent very little time actually taking my horse off of my own lot, so I don't see the closed world as that big of a loss.
  • Options
    yagwityagwit Posts: 118 Member
    edited July 2018
    @MyMistica You are on point. Windenburg has a 64x64 lot. This is plenty of room for a horse farm. Sooo what if I can't travel around the worlds with my horse. If I can he can go where I can (around the lot), and live out a life on the ranch, I'd be very pleased!
  • Options
    TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    edited July 2018
    What I find laughable is people say that horses are pointless because of the closed world...but ....couldn't the same be said for cars? Yet everyone seems bent on wanting that. Yay, let's get in the car and go to a loading screen lol
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    What I find laughable is people say that horses are pointless because of the closed world...but ....couldn't the same be said for cars? Yet everyone seems bent on wanting that. Yay, let's get in the car and go to a loading screen lol

Which is why I remove all the stupid cars from build mode.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Holy_CowHoly_Cow Posts: 47 Member
    Taquanda wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I just have to share with all of you my opinion. I am SO triggered. I myself have been pretty sceptical about TS4 in the past on these forums. I didn't even want toddlers to begin with, but hanging around here made me want them too. I got really annoyed by the fact that EA seemed to just ignore all of us and our wishes. Guess what? They gave us toddlers. The ecstasy lasted for about a week, then new people started making threads called "We've got toddlers, next pets?". Creating pets probably took EA a HUGE amount of time. Just imagine all the programming, animating etc. and guess what? They gave us pets.

Now people are whining that there are no horses in this pack. Now come on. They gave us toddles, and now cats and dogs which are considered the two most common pets. Why would there be horses in a pet pack? I never understood the addition of horses in TS3, but in TS3 you had a better use of them because there was an open world.

Do you want to hang out on your lot and have a random horse walking around? Why do random horses make sense? The first thing I did after installing TS3 was switching off stray horses, because why is that even a thing? I don't imagine anyone in real life would like to sit on their couch watching tv and having a horse next to them on their couch. It. Just. Makes. No. Sense.

Of course, we can all wish what we want. But please. The devs just showed us quadrupeds are possible and there might even be a "farm animal" pack in which horses would make much more sense. Let's not take the HUGE amount of work the devs put in ANY game for granted. Just imagine how hard it is for them? They are trying to focus on more content but instead we are all whining.

Please stop the "I'm not getting this because there are no horses" nonsense. Because we all know you're getting it anyway. Because cats and dogs are friggin' cute.

Amen.

btw: it's so funny how on the Facebook posts about this pack, the people who ask "where are the horses" 7 out of 10 time have profile pictures with horses. Ugh.

Thank you so much for posting this. I feel the exact same way! Plus, I'm allergic to horses so I'm a bit biased against them.
    Holy cow! I completed the Grilled Cheese Aspiration! :P
  • Options
    ActuallyxAnnaActuallyxAnna Posts: 52 Member
    I agreed with everything and probably because Pets is my favorite pack so I'm biased but I actually loved everything about it, the town and the townies and there is so many pet options in terms of their looks, I think people are so used to having so much that because they aren't getting as much as they would like in TS4 they are complaining. But it's not that easy to make games, despite it being just a life simulator I'm sure they are doing their best to please the fans.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited August 2018
    Aside from a simple residential world, I also imagine a world with really large, wide open areas that are set aside for horses trails. It would be nice if there were different kinds of trails. Easy trails could be for children, beginners, and Sims just out for a casual ride. For more of a challenge, there could be more advanced trails that include crossing streams, and negotiating varying grades and jumps.

This is the one instance where TS4's brand of aggressive world designing could work in its favor!

I suppose that trails could become a bit repetitive over time. However, it would be no different than, say, TS4's open careers. If a player has Seasons, different types of weather could create different experiences.

There could also be the option to help the Sims and their horses to progress along a Sim's chosen skill tree, together as a team-- racing, jumping, or show. The horse and the rider's skill will determine outcomes.

There should also be the added dimension of personality and trust between the horse and rider. A good horse/rider pair would be more successful than one that is only fair. Depending on the Sim's goals, a compatibility element could make choosing a horse more substantive than simply choosing based on the horses looks. It would be awesome to adopt that scrawny, ugly duckling horse and then turn it into a trusted and faithful companion. Or, the most unexpected champion.

Man, there's so much that I would love to see regarding horses...

Well, that's me dreaming again.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited August 2018
    Whups, I did it again.

Delete reply to an old post.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg