Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Changes to minimum requirements for Cats & Dogs expansion pack

Comments

• fewlinesfewlines Posts: 1,488 Member
    hi @phoebebebe13: i'm not going to buy the expansion, but still. i have to say you're awesome for taking the time to warn people about this change.
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    This is a link to my PC and its specs https://cnet.com/products/hp-touchsmart-610/specs/. Can I run this EP?
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @fewlines your very welcome :) I'm not buying it either ;)
    edited September 2017
    Goth583 wrote: »
    This is a link to my PC and its specs https://cnet.com/products/hp-touchsmart-610/specs/. Can I run this EP?

Have you been running the game on that and it will run? All In one computers are not for gaming 3d games like the sims at all . They are weaker than laptops and have no cooling. Gaming generates allot more heat and can do permanent damage to hardware if you have no cooling. You could ruin that computer trying to run this game. It does not meet requirements to run the game. You would need a another computer to play on and it would need to meet requirements which is a mid range gaming desktop or a higher end gaming laptop that equals the requirements on desktop. If your in the market for a new computer , if you post in tech we can help you find a computer that will survive the whole game. Sorry for the bad news.
  • bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    edited September 2017
    I am really excited about this pack. Now all we need is weather and all will be perfect in my Sim world.
    edited September 2017

Have you been running the game on that and it will run? All In one computers are not for gaming 3d games like the sims at all . They are weaker than laptops and have no cooling. Gaming generates allot more heat and can do permanent damage to hardware if you have no cooling. You could ruin that computer trying to run this game. It does not meet requirements to run the game. You would need a another computer to play on and it would need to meet requirements which is a mid range gaming desktop or a higher end gaming laptop that equals the requirements on desktop. If your in the market for a new computer , if you post in tech we can help you find a computer that will survive the whole game. Sorry for the bad news.
    Yep, my game runs great! I will not buy a new computer, especially not just for gaming when that HP works. I have an external HD hooked up to it, so I keep the computer free of space for the most part. All that's really on it is TS4 and Skyrim. All TS3 is linked to the external HD. The only time my fan even runs loud during my game is when something else is running in the background, like a windows update that I can't stop. Thanks for the heads up though! I'll likely still buy the game as I've honestly never had a single problem with running the games.
    edited September 2017

Yep, my game runs great! I will not buy a new computer, especially not just for gaming when that HP works. I have an external HD hooked up to it, so I keep the computer free of space for the most part. All that's really on it is TS4 and Skyrim. All TS3 is linked to the external HD. The only time my fan even runs loud during my game is when something else is running in the background, like a windows update that I can't stop. Thanks for the heads up though! I'll likely still buy the game as I've honestly never had a single problem with running the games.

That's your choice. I'm just letting you know that computer can get damaged since it was not meant to run the games your running and it does not meet requirements. As you add more to the sims games , the more demanding the game becomes. You may be able to run it now, add pets and the game may no longer run. This happens all the time. We always get that comment "But my game ran before" . When your computer does not meet requirements you can fall behind. I have seen just adding a patch do a computer in and I have even experienced that with the sims 3 years ago. The game will also run worse if you try to run it on an external hard drive. It needs to be installed on an internal hard drive

Add: Your computer has 1080p resolution NO WAY could your inlet chip run any of the games in that resolution . You need a higher end gaming dedicated video card to run in that resolution BTW I own and HP all in one with similar specs to yours and NO it can not run any of the games you claim. I guess you have a Magic computer

Enjoy your game :)
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on

That's your choice. I'm just letting you know that computer can get damaged since it was not meant to run the games your running and it does not meet requirements. As you add more to the sims games , the more demanding the game becomes. You may be able to run it now, add pets and the game may no longer run. This happens all the time. We always get that comment "But my game ran before" . When your computer does not meet requirements you can fall behind. I have seen just adding a patch do a computer in and I have even experienced that with the sims 3 years ago. The game will also run worse if you try to run it on an external hard drive. It needs to be installed on an internal hard drive

Add: Your computer has 1080p resolution NO WAY could your inlet chip run any of the games in that resolution . You need a higher end gaming dedicated video card to run in that resolution BTW I own and HP all in one with similar specs to yours and NO it can not run any of the games you claim. I guess you have a Magic computer

I appreciate your advice, but I know what I have on my PC and don't need to prove to you what I have or don't have. I bought my computer when it came out with the intention that it be used primarily for games, and it DOES run all those games. Again, thank you for your advice, but your insinuation that I'm lying about my computer is not welcomed nor warranted.
    edited September 2017

I appreciate your advice, but I know what I have on my PC and don't need to prove to you what I have or don't have. I bought my computer when it came out with the intention that it be used primarily for games, and it DOES run all those games. Again, thank you for your advice, but your insinuation that I'm lying about my computer is not welcomed nor warranted.

You came in here and asked for advice. If you think you know more than we do why did you come in here and ask in the first place? Your anger is coming out because I told you something you don't want to hear. We who help in tech know computer hardware. I hate to say this but no one who has computer tech knowledge would believe your HP can run the games your playing and at at that resolution or even worse on an external hard. drive. We who help in tech volunteer our time to help our fellow players to help their games play better and don't like our time being wasted.

PS: If you can actually play those games good chance you gave me a link to the wrong computer hardware for your model. Since you got rude I really don't care .
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I think one issue that can make working out if your computer's capable or not is part of the recommended requirements, which as I now understand it, is what you would need to run the game on a desktop with all the add ons, but what about people who don't want all the add ons?

I personally want this pack. After that I want the laundry SP, seasons and any packs that add new holiday destinations and that's it. I don't even have all the packs that have been released so far because quite a few of them now (mainly SPs) don't interest me whatsoever.

One could look at it as "if this is what I need to play all the packs, but I don't have all of them I'll still be alright"
    But If you're on specs below those recommended, it can be difficult to work out if you can run the specific packs you DO have.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • lsnishilsnishi Posts: 2,714 Member
    Thanks for all this info @phoebebebe13; I would have just assumed my laptop could handle the Pets expansion.

Here's my info:

Time of this report: 9/1/2017, 07:42:42
    Machine name:
    Machine Id: {83A6DA2C-26A6-4992-B4FD-4C2E8A9EC9EA}
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Latitude 3550
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/30/14 01:41:34 Ver: A04.00
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8098MB RAM
    Page File: 3927MB used, 12363MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.15063.0000 64bit Unicode

I have a Dell Latitude 3550 laptop with a NVidia GE Force 830M video card.

Fingers crossed, I can get by with my laptop.
    PDWxp40.jpg
    edited September 2017
    @lsnishi. Your very welcome. Your border line . Its under recommended requirements to run this whole game. None of us know how powerful this new ep is going to make the game only that it will up the game.

Your processor is a dual core and the game requires quad core on desktop so you do really need a more powerful quad core on laptop. This game is processor heavy

The 830m card is a lower end yet dedicated card. You video card can not game at higher resolutions like 1080p

The game requires a GTX 650 or better on desktop. This is the GTX 650 compared to your laptop card http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-650-vs-GeForce-830M

You might be OK. If you decide to go for it, some suggestions on how to reduce stress should your game start to lag

Windows 10 takes allot to run. If you only have 8 gb computer ram, try playing y the 32 bit version of the game. Playing the 32 bit version of the game will cap the game to only using 3.5 gb of your computer ram and leave 4.5 gb computer ram for everything else running on your computer. If you play the 64 bit version of the game it will take away more ram and the rest of your computer will have less ram to work with

You can lower your game resolution in launcher options, you can tick off laptop mode, you can lower your game settings and play in windowed mode. You can try one of these or a combination of these but all will take stress off your laptop. You would have to play with the settings to see what works best for you

Own a laptop cooler if you don't own one. Gaming uses a lot more power and can generate heat. Heat can to damage to any computer with out proper cooling.
    BabySquare wrote: »
    One could look at it as "if this is what I need to play all the packs, but I don't have all of them I'll still be alright"
    But If you're on specs below those recommended, it can be difficult to work out if you can run the specific packs you DO have.

This is very true. Just like the sims 3. Some EP's take more to run than others. The sims 3 Pets , Seasons, IP and ITF are more demanding than other eps in the sims 3. Those 4 EPs need a better computer to run them. Especially if you have all or some of them installed. We have seen people get screen tearing from running those on an under powered computer stressing out their video cards. . I suspect TS4 will be the same way. Some EP's will be more demanding on a computer than other eps.
  • brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    Hi, I need some advice please.

A few months ago I was going to buy a new gaming laptop, I decided after thinking and reading about desktops v laptops, to wait until next year and buy a desktop instead as we ll be moving house thenand I ll have space for a desktop.
    Since then I.ve read the info on cats and dogs, I really want to buy it but my laptop is around 4 years old (I think ) and although it plays sims 4 really well I m worried cats and dogs will be too much

Specs are

I7 4700MQ cpu @2.40 ghz
    8.00 gb ram
    GeForce GTX 765m
    Windows 10

I want to hold out for a desktop but I can't have one in my current house as we ve just no room, but I really want to continue playing sims 4 and buy cats and dogs too, so should I buy a new laptop now instead?
    Thanks @phoebebebe13. I might consider buying a new laptop at some point so I would have to think about the specs I want. Thankfully, I've always used a cooling pad because the laptops always run hot when gaming.
    PDWxp40.jpg
    @lsnishi your very welcome. If and when you decide to buy a new computer, come into tech. We can help you find a new computer that meets all requirements to run the games you want.
    Hi, I need some advice please.

A few months ago I was going to buy a new gaming laptop, I decided after thinking and reading about desktops v laptops, to wait until next year and buy a desktop instead as we ll be moving house thenand I ll have space for a desktop.
    Since then I.ve read the info on cats and dogs, I really want to buy it but my laptop is around 4 years old (I think ) and although it plays sims 4 really well I m worried cats and dogs will be too much

Specs are

I7 4700MQ cpu @2.40 ghz
    8.00 gb ram
    GeForce GTX 765m
    Windows 10

I want to hold out for a desktop but I can't have one in my current house as we ve just no room, but I really want to continue playing sims 4 and buy cats and dogs too, so should I buy a new laptop now instead?

Desktop is always better than laptop and usually cheaper. ;)

Your laptop meets recommended requirements . We don't know how powerful this ep is going to be but you should not have a problem. Should your game get sluggish Windows 10 takes allot to run. If you only have 8 gb computer ram, try playing y the 32 bit version of the game. Playing the 32 bit version of the game will cap the game to only using 3.5 gb of your computer ram and leave 4.5 gb computer ram for everything else running on your computer. If you play the 64 bit version of the game it will take away more ram and the rest of your computer will have less ram to work with
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

This is very true. Just like the sims 3. Some EP's take more to run than others. The sims 3 Pets , Seasons, IP and ITF are more demanding than other eps in the sims 3. Those 4 EPs need a better computer to run them. Especially if you have all or some of them installed. We have seen people get screen tearing from running those on an under powered computer stressing out their video cards. . I suspect TS4 will be the same way. Some EP's will be more demanding on a computer than other eps.

Right. I'm confident I'll be OK with pets, and I hope I will with seasons, if seasons has the same increased requirements as pets does, but if the seasons requirements are more than pets I'll end up getting a new machine a year early.

I'm very lucky, in that I can afford to keep in my bank at all times a set budget (you know what it is but I don't want to state it here) for a new laptop. (the only time I can't afford one is when I've just bought one as I need to let the money build up again). But I'm aware many people aren't that lucky, and indeed many flat out can't afford a new, better computer.

I want to thank you for doing such a great job of raising awareness of this issue, as it is indeed concerning, especially where people aren't aware of the changes.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    Thanks @phoebebebe13 , I ll save my money for a desktop next year instead then x
    @brackencat31 Your very welcome :)
    edited September 2017

Right. I'm confident I'll be OK with pets, and I hope I will with seasons, if seasons has the same increased requirements as pets does, but if the seasons requirements are more than pets I'll end up getting a new machine a year early.

I'm very lucky, in that I can afford to keep in my bank at all times a set budget (you know what it is but I don't want to state it here) for a new laptop. (the only time I can't afford one is when I've just bought one as I need to let the money build up again). But I'm aware many people aren't that lucky, and indeed many flat out can't afford a new, better computer.

I want to thank you for doing such a great job of raising awareness of this issue, as it is indeed concerning, especially where people aren't aware of the changes.

Your very welcome. "If" you have issues with pets, you will know when you add it. Then you can decide if you need to get that new computer sooner.

I do feel sorry for those who can't buy a new computer and may not be able to run this ep. My only suggestion is to not buy the ep, save for a better computer and then buy the eps you want. I did that with the sims 3. I did not need a new computer and waited until I needed and could afford a better computer. It actually made the sims 3 more fun because I could play the whole complete game . I had gotten my new computer when ITF came out.
    Just in case folks are interested, Dell is having a Labor Day sale. I'm looking at an Alienware Aurora desktop that is $500 off right now. I may buy it if my computer knowledgeable friend thinks it's a good deal. :)
    PDWxp40.jpg
  • loulouloulou Posts: 71 Member
    Could I have some advice on compatibility/suitability please?

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_ltsb.170707-0600)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
    System Model: SVF15A1M2ES
    BIOS: R0200DA
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8070MB RAM
    Page File: 4214MB used, 5135MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode
    @loulou You dxdiag is cut off. If you could post a pastebin link that would be great. I need to see the whole thing Thanks

To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    Then copy and paste the information from where you saved it, to pastebin https://pastebin.com
    and post the link to the file here
    edited September 2017
    lsnishi wrote: »
    Just in case folks are interested, Dell is having a Labor Day sale. I'm looking at an Alienware Aurora desktop that is $500 off right now. I may buy it if my computer knowledgeable friend thinks it's a good deal. :)

Alienware tends to be and overpriced dell. You can get much better specs going custom. The hardware is certified .Send me a PM with your budget, country and a link to the alienware your looking at. The key is getting the best computer specs for the money