Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Changes to minimum requirements for Cats & Dogs expansion pack

Comments

• Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    cale2003 wrote: »
    Ok, after a bit more research it seems the Radeon Pro 560 is between the GTX 960M and the GTX 965M https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-Pro-560-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.226608.0.html
    So I would probably say you would be fine for Cats and Dogs on High settings but as long as you play it in 1080p, but its kind of too early to tell.

How does one play in 1080p? is that the screen resolution? I'm not supposed to go higher than that with my specs but I don't how to check/change it if need be.

Your GT 630m card is weak to play in 1080p resolution . The GT 630m has ddr 3 vram. You need a GTX card with ddr5 vram to game in 1080p . If your going to try and run 1080p on the 630m, windowed screen would be better

Can you post your DxDiag or send it to me in a PM

To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    Then copy and paste the information from where you saved it, to pastebin https://pastebin.com
    and post the link to the file here

I wasn't actually looking to play in 1080 - it's not an option for me under the resolution bit of the graphics panel. I am curious though as to what it means.

Its a higher resolution but lower than 2 k or 4k . The higher the resolution the better the video card you need

I see, thanks. :)
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I have a question: with the increased ram requirements from 2gb to 4gb how much harder will a processor have to work? I imagine an increased work load would equal an increase in cpu temperature.

We have run several tests on this game. It's processor heavy. Will it get worse? I don't know. You will find out when you add the EP.

I'm not as concerned about overheating as much now I have a cooling pad; as is, in-game my cpu averages about 67-70 degrees C with the pad on so hopefully i won't change much.

For a gaming laptop 70-80 c is fine. If you start hitting 90 c that might be a problem even if your computer does not shut down.
    What happens in this case usually the monitor goes black, in other words you'll see a black screen like you would if you hadn't turned on the monitor. At this point, you'll need to shut down your PC by the power button. The black screen effect is caused by the graphics card not sending data to the monitor do too overheating. The graphics cards are designed to do this for the so purpose of keeping from being burned out from to much stress. In other words, graphics cards basically have a kill switch in them.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »
    I have a question: with the increased ram requirements from 2gb to 4gb how much harder will a processor have to work? I imagine an increased work load would equal an increase in cpu temperature.

We have run several tests on this game. It's processor heavy. Will it get worse? I don't know. You will find out when you add the EP.

I'm not as concerned about overheating as much now I have a cooling pad; as is, in-game my cpu averages about 67-70 degrees C with the pad on so hopefully i won't change much.

For a gaming laptop 70-80 c is fine. If you start hitting 90 c that might be a problem even if your computer does not shut down.
    What happens in this case usually the monitor goes black, in other words you'll see a black screen like you would if you hadn't turned on the monitor. At this point, you'll need to shut down your PC by the power button. The black screen effect is caused by the graphics card not sending data to the monitor do too overheating. The graphics cards are designed to do this for the so purpose of keeping from being burned out from to much stress. In other words, graphics cards basically have a kill switch in them.

Those temps were for gaming laptop processor not video card ;) Someone was discussing their CPU temps with me
  • Options
    @AmySims09 here are some things you or anyone else with integrated graphics can try. Eventually you may need a new computer to play all the add ons

These are tips should you have issues with integrated graphics.

With integrated graphics/processor ,everything on your computer will use your computer ram. You are better off playing the 32 bit version of the game. Playing the 32 bit version of the game will cap the game to only using 3.5 gb of your computer ram and leave 4.5 gb computer ram for everything else running on your computer. If you play the 64 bit version of the game it will take away more ram and the rest of your computer will have less ram to work with

You can lower your game resolution in launcher options, you can tick off laptop mode, you can lower your game settings and play in windowed mode. You can try one of these or a combination of these but all will take stress off your laptop. You would have to play with the settings to see what works best for you

Own a laptop cooler if you don't own one. Gaming uses a lot more power and can generate heat. Heat can to damage to any computer with out proper cooling.

• Options
    edited August 2017

Those temps were for gaming laptop processor not video card ;) Someone was discussing their CPU temps with me
    I know, but usually what ever the temp of the graphics card is would be the same for the CPU because that's what the internal temp is. The CPU usually has it's own fan to help keep it cooled down, and the same for the graphic card and the PC's power unit. This is why when you look at a gaming PC, it usually has two exhaust fans. Plus a fan for it's power unit, two for it's graphics card, and another for it's CPU. Plus there is one other trick that a person can try to keep their CPU from overheating. If you remove the CPU's fan, you should see a small metal plate there. That plate has a substance on it that helps keep high temps away from the CPU. This substance disappears over time. And when that happens, you can then go to your local PC store, and buy a tube of that and re-coat that little plate with that. Or you can take your PC into a repairman and have them do that for you. And if one that has a desk top wishes, they can take an even cheaper route to resolve this issue by buying a common 16 or 20" household box fan. Open their tower, and use that box fan to help keep the internal temp of their PC down like I did. The problem lies with not the units themselves, it the internal temp of the PC that's the problem. The box fan only works on desk tops so far because one can easily open one of those PC up. I haven't been able to get the box fan trick to work on a laptop yet because there's no one panel that can be open to expose the entire internal structure of a laptop. Take my word for it, I have been through all this already with Sims 3.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

I know, but usually what ever the temp of the graphics card is would be the same for the CPU because that's what the internal temp is. The CPU usually has it's own fan to help keep it cooled down, and the same for the graphic card and the PC's power unit. This is why when you look at a gaming PC, it usually has two exhaust fans. Plus a fan for it's power unit, two for it's graphics card, and another for it's CPU. Plus there is one other trick that a person can try to keep their CPU from overheating. If you remove the CPU's fan, you should see a small metal plate there. That plate has a substance on it that helps keep high temps away from the CPU. This substance disappears over time. And when that happens, you can then go to your local PC store, and buy a tube of that and re-coat that little plate with that. Or you can take your PC into a repairman and have them do that for you. And if one that has a desk top wishes, they can take an even cheaper route to resolve this issue by buying a common 16 or 20" household box fan. Open their tower, and use that box fan to help keep the internal temp of their PC down like I did. The problem lies with not the units themselves, it the internal temp of the PC that's the problem. The box fan only works on desk tops so far because one can easily open one of those PC up. I haven't been able to get the box fan trick to work on a laptop yet because there's no one panel that can be open to expose the entire internal structure of a laptop. Take my word for it, I have been through all this already with Sims 3.

I have never had that happen on either my gaming desktop or gaming laptop. My CPU temps are always higher than GPU. Same goes with the person I was talking to with their laptop. I run the sims 3 on ultra on both my desktop and laptop . I never get heating issues. My laptop GPU runs about 50's c and CPU about 70 c gaming the sims 3. I have an ASUS ROG. My desktop is custom is lower than the laptop temps as it should be.
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    The gpu temperature will almost always be different from the cpu temperature.
    Some games put more load on the graphics card then cpu and vice versa, Then you factor in the case in which the hardware is installed in and where each fan is located, Some cases have a tendency to have higher temps in one area.
    In The sims/RTS/city building the cpu will almost always be hotter because those games favour he cpu, Where as RPG/ shooters may increase the graphics card temp and use less cpu.
    Then factor in what card you have and it's cooling and fan profiles and what cpu cooler you have (arftermarket/air/liquid)
    In all my years i have never had the same temps. (and i have been gaming on gaming desktops for a long time)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Some games put more load on the graphics card then cpu and vice versa, Then you factor in the case in which the hardware is installed in and where each fan is located, Some cases have a tendency to have higher temps in one area.
    In The sims/RTS/city building the cpu will almost always be hotter because those games favour he cpu, Where as RPG/ shooters may increase the graphics card temp and use less cpu.
    Then factor in what card you have and it's cooling and fan profiles and what cpu cooler you have (arftermarket/air/liquid)
    In all my years i have never had the same temps. (and i have been gaming on gaming desktops for a long time)

Not to mention how many years you have been building gaming desktops :D This conversation seems to have perked you up or is it all that tea drinking :p
  • Options

I have never had that happen on either my gaming desktop or gaming laptop. My CPU temps are always higher than GPU. Same goes with the person I was talking to with their laptop. I run the sims 3 on ultra on both my desktop and laptop . I never get heating issues. My laptop GPU runs about 50's c and CPU about 70 c gaming the sims 3. I have an ASUS ROG. My desktop is custom is lower than the laptop temps as it should be.
    How many fans are there on the back of your gaming desk top? Normal PC's even the gaming ones will only have two fans that are visible on the back of the tower. The lower fan is the exhaust, and the upper fan keeps the power unit cooled down. If you more than two fans on the back of the tower of your desk top. Then that's likely why you have never had an overheating issue with your desk top while running a Sims game on it.
  • Options

Not to mention how many years you have been building gaming desktops :D This conversation seems to have perked you up or is it all that tea drinking :p

I'm high on Ginger tea LMAO
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

How many fans are there on the back of your gaming desk top? Normal PC's even the gaming ones will only have two fans that are visible on the back of the tower. The lower fan is the exhaust, and the upper fan keeps the power unit cooled down. If you more than two fans on the back of the tower of your desk top. Then that's likely why you have never had an overheating issue with your desk top while running a Sims game on it.

You only have 1 case fan on the back which is Exhaust. The power supply fan is situated on the bottom of the psu and this is to keep the psu cool.. not the case.
    You may or may not have top exhaust or have a liquid cooler in it's place. On the front you will have intake fans, generally 1-2 fans.
    I am talking about custom gaming desktops.. not off the shelf store brought ones like dell/Hp. in which case i cannot call them a proper gaming desktop.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

I have 3 fans on my laptop one intake and two exhaust . My tower has 5 fans. It's custom. Both never have heating issues but as @chesterbigbird explained above allot of things factor into gaming. computer hardware. placement of that hardware, cooling and what games your playing. Different games have different requirements and some may use more GPU some more CPU.

What kind of computer were you trying to play the sims 3 on with heating issues? Usually this happens with off the shelf computers that give you generic cpu cooler and all generic hardware, have few fans in the tower. The tower has no room for cooling. I have also seen off the shelf gaming computers that will mix hardware. some good, some bad. Custom certified hardware is always best
  • Options

I'm high on Ginger tea LMAO

Awesome :D Now I want some tea.

You only have 1 case fan on the back which is Exhaust. The power supply fan is situated on the bottom of the psu and this is to keep the psu cool.. not the case.
    You may or may not have top exhaust or have a liquid cooler in it's place. On the front you will have intake fans, generally 1-2 fans.
    I am talking about custom gaming desktops.. not off the shelf store brought ones like dell/Hp. in which case i cannot call them a proper gaming desktop.

Dell/HP/Lenovo etc off the shelf, very few fans, generic hardware. Low watt PSU . Bad for gaming
  • Options

I know that the PSU fan only keeps the PSU cooled down. Because when you look at a PSU from inside the case. There's no way that fan can blow into the case from there.
    Not many people would consider an off the shelf gaming PC a gaming PC since they are basically a minimal gaming PC at best.
    As for the two fans on the back of the case. I was referring to an off the shelf gaming PC, desktop version. The bigger/better gaming PC that have the bigger case. And yes there are PC's out there that are like that have two maybe even more exhaust fans on the back. They would have to have two or more exhaust fans because their cases are bigger. And they'll those extra exhaust fans to help keep the internal temp at safe operating levels.
  • Options

I know that the PSU fan only keeps the PSU cooled down. Because when you look at a PSU from inside the case. There's no way that fan can blow into the case from there.
    Not many people would consider an off the shelf gaming PC a gaming PC since they are basically a minimal gaming PC at best.
    As for the two fans on the back of the case. I was referring to an off the shelf gaming PC, desktop version. The bigger/better gaming PC that have the bigger case. And yes there are PC's out there that are like that have two maybe even more exhaust fans on the back. They would have to have two or more exhaust fans because their cases are bigger. And they'll those extra exhaust fans to help keep the internal temp at safe operating levels.

I have actually never seen one (custom) with 2 or more back exhaust fans. (not counting top exhaust fans.)
    They typical mid or full towers will only have 1.
    what desktop do you have?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Guys, can someone have a look at the specs of my LAPTOP and give me the green or red light accordingly? I think "Cats and Dogs" will be alright, but I wanted to ask you anyway. Here we go. Take into consideration that I've got all the EPs, GPs and SPs, 5GB of CC and, with all these, the game runs smoothly (only the loading screens are a bit long, but it's not a big deal for me).

1) Windows 7 (SP1)
    2) Dual-Core Intel i5 520M, 2.6MHz
    3) 8GB RAM
    4) 100 GB free space
    5) The sound card and everything else are updated.

Will it be okay? :/ Thank you so much for your time! Happy Simming, everyone!
  • Options
    AmySims09AmySims09 Posts: 1,227 Member

I have 3 fans on my laptop one intake and two exhaust . My tower has 5 fans. It's custom. Both never have heating issues but as @chesterbigbird explained above allot of things factor into gaming. computer hardware. placement of that hardware, cooling and what games your playing. Different games have different requirements and some may use more GPU some more CPU.

What kind of computer were you trying to play the sims 3 on with heating issues? Usually this happens with off the shelf computers that give you generic cpu cooler and all generic hardware, have few fans in the tower. The tower has no room for cooling. I have also seen off the shelf gaming computers that will mix hardware. some good, some bad. Custom certified hardware is always best

@phoebebebe13

For some reason when you said "tower" I thought you lived in a tower xD
  • Options
    @AmySims09 LOL. The computer tower ( desktop case) .
  • Options
    @gothprincess4ever what is your video card and laptop screen resolution? If you don't I would need to see your full computer specs

Click OK
    Then copy and paste the information from where you saved it, to pastebin https://pastebin.com
  • Options
    @gothprincess4ever what is your video card and laptop screen resolution? If you don't I would need to see your full computer specs

Click OK

Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
    Screen resolution: 1600x900 (60Hz)

Thank you so much! (I gathered the DXDIAG information, but it's in Greek, that's why I didn't attach it.)
  • Options

Click OK

Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
    Screen resolution: 1600x900 (60Hz)

Thank you so much! (I gathered the DXDIAG information, but it's in Greek, that's why I didn't attach it.)

That resolution is good. I'm reading off a list of cards because I know more Nvidia cards than AMD but I think your card is dedicated not integrated which would be better. @igazor knows more AMD cards so I need his opinion on your card
  • Options
    Awesome, thank you so much for the fast reply!
  • Options
    @gothprincess4ever Your laptop is below recommended requirements for this game on desktop. Before this game is complete I do suspect you will need a new computer. You can't upgrade processor or video card in a laptop, you are stuck with the specs you buy. igazor said yes you have a dedicated video card so that is good however he said it's about 8 years old. I don't know how much more powerful this ep is going to make the game. Time will tell . For now you may be fine since your card is dedicated. As you add more to any sims games, the game becomes more demanding. Some eps may be more demanding than others. This happened with the sims 3 and 2.

This is from igazor

The HD 5650 is dedicated with sufficient bit bus width and 1 GB of vram. It's the HD 5450 within that series that gives everyone heartburn.

It's not a very high performing card though. I'm seeing it compared not very favorably to the Nvidia 740M and 840M in a couple of places. Not sure why, the Radeon seems to spec out better so maybe I'm missing something. But it was released in Jan 2010, so we are talking about a coming up on eight year old card here.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Thank you so much for the information! I'm not planning to keep this laptop much longer, probably around March 2018 I'll buy a new one. I bought it in October 2010, so it's been put into good use. I'm happy to hear that I will be okay with the "Cats and Dogs" EP and I'll definitely keep in mind your advice.

Thank you again!
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the information! I'm not planning to keep this laptop much longer, probably around March 2018 I'll be a new one. I bought it in October 2010, so it's been put into good use. I'm happy to hear that I will be okay with the "Cats and Dogs" EP and I'll definitely keep in mind your advice.

Thank you again!

Your very welcome. It sounds like you should be ok but I cant say definitely that you will be ok. Your laptop is somewhere in the lower to middle end of requirements to run the game. Your hardware is also older. It's good that your laptop has lasted since 2010. Most laptops last average 5 years