Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recolor Question

I know the basics of recoloring, so that explanation or thread recommendation can be skipped (:

I want to recolor this sweater from Romantic Garden. I have extracted the gray sweater texture and made it a white base. My recolor question is: how do I recolor the beige "shirt" and make the sweater another color without making the whole top one color? I use the latest version of GIMP.

Picture explanation:
Ribbet_collage.jpg

Thank you! :)

Comments

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited August 2017
    i would just magic wand the non-beige parts of the sweater and then begin the recolor, then inverse the selection to recolor the shirt
    i dunno if there's a better way to do it that i'm not aware of but there very well could be :D
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • MarffiieMarffiie Posts: 132 Member
    @CyrusTheLoser

Gosh, I'm not sure if I'd be that patient to do that for each beige part plus the recolors I have planned out XD so far, that's the only solution. Honestly, I can't think of anything else ):
    edited August 2017
    Marffiie wrote: »
    @CyrusTheLoser

Gosh, I'm not sure if I'd be that patient to do that for each beige part plus the recolors I have planned out XD so far, that's the only solution. Honestly, I can't think of anything else ):

well I don't know how gimp works but you shouldn't have to do that
    select the white part first and do the recolor, then doing the inverse should select all the beige parts. I don't know what the command to inverse the selection is in GIMP but in ps and paint net it's ctrl + i, maybe it's the same in GIMP. If not you could find out easily : )
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    edited August 2017
    @CyrusTheLoser

Hmm, I do have a cracked version of PS. I only know how to run actions, haha. I guess I could try that. Do you recommend using the white base texture I made or the original extracted one?
    edited August 2017
    Marffiie wrote: »
    @CyrusTheLoser

Hmm, I do have a cracked version of PS. I only know how to run actions, haha. I guess I could try that. Do you recommend using the white base texture I made or the original extracted one?

You shouldn't have to switch, it should all be doable in GIMP I just didn't know the command for it

As for the texture to start with, it all depends on the color you're going for. Most times you'll want to start with white but sometimes i'll want to take an existing color and make it more or less saturated or something like that, so I just work directly with that color. exception to this would be with actions where you always want to use whatever base the person who made the actions says to use. (well, not always, sometimes you might experiment and end up with something nice)
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    @CyrusTheLoser

Ah, that's a relief. I'm comfier using GIMP. Thank you for your advice, it's much appreciated.