Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Horrible game performance, please help!!!

xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
Ugh this is so frustrating, seems I can never get any sims game to work without problems! Almost makes you want to give up playing all together ;(

Anyway, I recently acquired and installed The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. I did all the graphics fixes and launched the game. At first it lagged a bit but I was able to right click on the shortcut icon and run it with my NVIDIA processor and after that it ran great! But then I started encountering the lag when switching between sims. So I did the Securom removal process and decided to go the extra step and run the game in compatibility mode. I went to right click on the shortcut again to be able to run it with the NVIDIA processor but now it says I don't have permission to do that and have to change it in the NVIDIA control panel.

Okay.....well TS2 is not in the list of programs so I just changed the global preference to the NVIDIA processor. Great. Now I click on the game and it wont run. I get some kind of Direct3D error message along the lines of E_INVALIDARG or something like that. I can't find a way to turn off compatibility mode because there's no tab for it when I go to the program's properties. If I switch it back to the integrated graphics processor, the game will launch but it's so laggy it's unbearable. I just want to be able to play a sims game without problems for once.

Comments

• cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I remember having a similar issue with nvidia, but I cant for the life of me remember how I fixed it. But I do remember struggling to be able to play with the nvidia option at first. I dont think I ever tried to run it in compatability mode though so that might be the issue?
    @Rflong7
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Sorry, I can't help. It won't run for me on my laptop with the Nvidia card, I have to use the Intel. My desktop is still Win7. :(
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    Thanks guys. I pretty much solved it though by reinstalling and using the graphics rules maker program and lowering the resolution a bit. Idk if it's using the NVIDIA card tbh but it's running smoothly and doesn't look horrendous so I'm happy lol
  • XxIesjuhXxIesjuh Posts: 78 Member
    Good to read you solved the problem! If it ever happens again, I might have a solution. I had the same problem with my Sims 2 and it turns out that when the game doesn't recognice your videocard, it immediately assumes that it's a crappy one. Because the Sims 2 is quite an old game, a lot of never videocards aren't in it's database. To solve this problem, you can find a tool on Modthesims (I forgot the name, but if you Google the issue I am sure you will find it) to make the game believe your videocard isn't as bad as it thinks.
    Happy simming!
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    @Xxlesjuh Yeah, I have the tool now, that's how I fixed it (I also found a broken mod I had installed too which cut out a lot of the lag). So for the most part the game runs great now. I just wish I could get rid of the lag from rain and snow ;(