Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Fringe

Comments

• Options
    ninaumininaumi Posts: 363 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

Yes! I think you're a very rich and interesting person, @ninaumi, so I love to read whatever you write! :)

I do feel it's important to maintain balance--when I am most engaged with Sims and writing SimLit, I remind myself to find balance through yoga, preparing meals, walking, cello, work projects, and just relaxing.

At the same time, when we can get balance, then Simming and writing SimLit feel like a nice and useful part of life! :)

It can be tough--especially in youth--to stop worrying about what others think, about their judgments. Starting to work on that in youth, though, is great, because it's definitely something that can be learned! One can develop the knack for saying, "OK... so-and-so thinks this is weird, and yes. I am weird. And it is very wonderful, and I wouldn't want to be any other way!" :)

Thank you, @CathyTea ! :) I felt like that yesterday, in fact, I think I was starting to get hooked, so I took a break from everything Sims related.
    The last paragraph you wrote told me that the weird thing I am attempting to do is actually nice. :lol: I am still scared since I'm taking a risk by doing it, but whatever. Namely, I started to educate myself on something, and then, when I get knowledgeable, I'll start doing it by freelancing. Some guy has done almost the same thing and became rich. :lol: But, I don't necessarily need to be that, I just want to be able to continually earn money with something I know how to do (I don't have any skills, so that's why I'm learning it) before I finish my irregular schooling. I also don't want to work in an offline world.

Congratulations, @Rainydayz179 ! :)

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @ninaumi hi! That's so cool that you're working on learning something you want to do freelance ! Good luck !

Happy Monday, everyone !

I'm approaching the work week with an intention of letting my positivity shine in the midst of a somewhat negative office setting right now . . I'm figuring that tuning into the intrinsic interest and joy of what I'm working on will lift me above the gossiping and griping while also allowing me to be able to be an actual help to the situation rather than a promoter of the bad feelings ! Wish me luck ! I think I can do it when I remember and discover that kernel of joy!

Hope you all have a good start to the week !
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    @CathyTea Good luck! I've noticed that sometimes people in a negative mood/setting don't even want to be positive - and therefore also don't want other people trying to be positive around them - but I'm hoping that the negativity in your office isn't like that. I'm wishing you lots of joy!
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    @CathyTea Good luck! I've noticed that sometimes people in a negative mood/setting don't even want to be positive - and therefore also don't want other people trying to be positive around them - but I'm hoping that the negativity in your office isn't like that. I'm wishing you lots of joy!

I think it will be like that, so I'm bringing my bubble with me and I'll be happy and productive within it! Everyone leaves by 4:30, and I leave at 6, so I can burst the bubble and be free-range after they go!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
    @RipuAncestor The spousal person and I went out Saturday afternoon for dinner and to see Dunkirk, and at one point I said, "It's too hot for joy."

It is a tiny bit cooler today. :)

I spent Sunday playing the game all day, so I have a question for other people.

What lifespan do you play on, and how do you play?

I decided to try out the long lifespan in this save, because I felt like the normal one didn't give you time to do much without cheats or buying aspiration rewards.

The long lifespan is really long. I do mostly like it though, but recently I started playing a rotation to break up the monotony of only playing the same family. It's fun, but time-intensive.

Can't wait to get home and add a new family to the rotation tonight though. :)
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.
  • Options
    swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    Hello all! @CathyTea I think its time to call you thread master! You start all this awesome ones :D

@MedleyMisty I've always played normal lifespans. It wasnt until Sims 4 that I played a long one. I find it better for some stories to use the long one. That way I dont have to worry about people aging on me when they are still supposed to be a certain age in my story. I'm really tempted to play a challenge on the short lifespan. I feel like it will make it more difficult and therefore more interesting to me!
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member
    Hello, everyone. Just came across this new thread-love the idea.

@MedleyMisty "It's too hot for joy" is a great line. Certainly describes the situation where I am too.

To answer your other question, I play rotationally as well, on normal lifespan. I haven't tried playing on any of the other two; if anything I would probably try the long lifespan but I wouldn't want to change it in the middle of my challenge. (Plus, I'm already on Round 16 with no end in sight...The challenge I play with ends with the death of the first gen 5 Sim who has yet to be born, so making the lifespan longer would only push that back even more.
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    @MedleyMisty I often play with aging off and age them on my own, that way they are the age they need to be for a story. But I do have a couple of saves with aging on, and they're usually on long. I have thought of turning aging on for my newest story though...but only after I finish actually setting up the save lol.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    @MedleyMisty I can definitely agree with it sometimes being too hot for joy. I prefer cooler weather. :)

If I have aging on, I play on normal life span, but most of the time I have aging off and age my Sims when I want/need, like @DreamsInPixels does. In TS3 I've made some adjustments to the duration of the different life stages, but I've kept the total life span relatively normal even then. And I play with aging off most of the time anyway there too.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
    Thanks everyone! Yeah, I have aging off for Seth and Sarah, and of course Surreal Darkness is just scenery shots.

When I am playing for myself without a story, I like to just brute force the game. Play within its limits and rules, but without any cheats or even aspiration rewards. Is just how I roll. ;)

It has been in the low to mid 90s here the last few weeks, but this week is more mid to high 80s, so that's nice.

I miss the customizable lifespan.
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.
  • Options
    MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    Hello! I'm here to catch up a bit! :)
    ninaumi wrote: »
    Hello! I'm weird with phone calls, too! :lol:
    Hi, @ninaumi !

I can't really do phone calls, either. My boyfriend can't, either. So at our house, the phone just rings and rings and no one ever answers! We don't have cell phones, either! :)

@CathyTea & @ninaumi I'm a couple days late with this topic but I've found that I am now the resident phone caller now in my friend groups. Working with phones all day has made me a machine! :joy: When I'm at home and the phone rings I'll answer it if I'm fired up with something and be very professional. "Hello, this is Megan, how can I help you?" and it sometimes throws people off, haha! But if there's a phone order for food or something else I need to get to the bottom of I am right there.
    @ninaumi I feel this all too often as well. I mean, I'm playing "a kids' game," right? Games aren't something adults indulge in (but for some reason sports are okay?). I've been playing the Sims since I was a kid and recently started my blog as a writing exercise, but when my friends and family ask me what I'm up to I clam up and get scared to divulge the secret. Worrying about how we are perceived is natural: if you're liked you can join the group and survive. But it's not really necessary anymore...is it? I say, you do you and be proud of it! Now if I could only get there myself... haha! Maybe we can find a little confidence together. B)

@allysimbuilds Oo, oo! I also feel like this! I thought I was over being embarrassed about playing games or writing but apparently I was wrong. I was shy to say it when I was on a date last month even though the guy I was with plays games (including Minecraft). And, for some reason, I am always embarrassed when my mother tells random people that I write stories and things. It doesn't happen very often but when it does I shrink!
    I spent Sunday playing the game all day, so I have a question for other people.

What lifespan do you play on, and how do you play?

I decided to try out the long lifespan in this save, because I felt like the normal one didn't give you time to do much without cheats or buying aspiration rewards.

The long lifespan is really long. I do mostly like it though, but recently I started playing a rotation to break up the monotony of only playing the same family. It's fun, but time-intensive.

Can't wait to get home and add a new family to the rotation tonight though. :)

@MedleyMisty I somewhat-recently started trying out the other lifespan options. I have one family I'm playing on long and it does take FOREVER. However, I like that all the kids stay kids for a long time. It makes me relax a little yet know they're all different ages and not the same. I also tried changing the time speed with MCCC. I found that rather than have more time it just stretches a lot of the actions out and a shower STILL takes 3/4 of an hour, haha... I won't be using that trick again.

I am considering trying to play on short for that collab legacy. I think that would be a fun change. :)

Also, I think there MAY be an option to change lifespan duration within MCCC. Someone else will know better than I do.
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • Options
    allysimbuildsallysimbuilds Posts: 422 Member
    @Meggles Ha! Same. I don't wanna go into detail, but I had a wake-up call three years ago; life's too short not to do something you like! My husband is all proud of me and I'm like "No.....please don't tell anyone...." lol. Why can't we just let ourselves be proud?
  • Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    Meggles wrote: »
    Also, I think there MAY be an option to change lifespan duration within MCCC. Someone else will know better than I do.

@MedleyMisty Yeppers you sure can. You can change each age stage to whatever number you want!
    @Meggles Ha! Same. I don't wanna go into detail, but I had a wake-up call three years ago; life's too short not to do something you like! My husband is all proud of me and I'm like "No.....please don't tell anyone...." lol. Why can't we just let ourselves be proud?

Awe. I know how y'all feel though. It's like I'm so proud of all of the work I've done on my blogs but I don't want any RL people knowing about it, lol.

@allysimbuilds I like your new profile pic! Did you edit that?
  • Options
    swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member

Awe. I know how y'all feel though. It's like I'm so proud of all of the work I've done on my blogs but I don't want any RL people knowing about it, lol.

@Rainydayz179 its so funny you said how you don't want any RL people knowing about. I post my stories on the sims community facebook page. One day at work my guy friend said he saw my post about my story and I was thinking how did you see it you can only see if you're in that group. It was my Super Dating story where I basically write me dating superhero hotties. I'm pretty sure I turned beet red when he said he read it. :D

suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    swcheppes wrote: »

@Rainydayz179 its so funny you said how you don't want any RL people knowing about. I post my stories on the sims community facebook page. One day at work my guy friend said he saw my post about my story and I was thinking how did you see it you can only see if you're in that group. It was my Super Dating story where I basically write me dating superhero hotties. I'm pretty sure I turned beet red when he said he read it. :D

do we tell rainy were real people?
  • Options

OMG so embarrassing! :D

RL= Real life... sorry, it's something I got used to saying when I played the game Second Life a lot cuz we'd say RL or SL. :p
  • Options

OMG so embarrassing! :D

RL= Real life... sorry, it's something I got used to saying when I played the game Second Life a lot cuz we'd say RL or SL. :p

it was a joke. everyone is a real person we just talk through the internet. i did understand rl i do that one too.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    Hello everyone sorry I haven't spoken in a couple of days. I just wish I could talk to other people about X but my Mom said not too (well techianlly, I could discuss it with leaders at New Leaf on Thursday)-but it not about myself
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    allysimbuildsallysimbuilds Posts: 422 Member
    @swcheppes Something similar happened to me in High School regarding a LOTR spinoff. And I didn't realize exactly how nerdy I was until I typed that... B)

@Rainydayz179 No editing here, just the good 'ol glorious game! I think it looks so good because the red and blue in the sunset match Louis and Alice's hair? That's my philosophy anyway.
  • Options
    No editing here, just the good 'ol glorious game! I think it looks so good because the red and blue in the sunset match Louis and Alice's hair? That's my philosophy anyway.

The overall effect is quite nice. ;)
  • Options

Now I am super proud! All the folks I work with know about it. My friends know about it. My family of origin would know about it, if they understood what "video games" are and what "blogs" are and if they were interested in my hobbies! LOL! (In other words, I've told them about it, but once I start talking, they glaze over, and it becomes another one of my enthusiasms! LOL!)

I am fully owning my "weirdness!" (See my Solar Return post for my credo!)

Now, no one is at all impressed! LOL! But when I head off for vacation, and they ask what I'm doing, I'll say, "I'm writing! In my SimLit blog!" And they're like... OK! That sounds great!

If we're happy, those who know us will be happy for us!

And, Rainy... I'm make-believe! Right, sissy? XD

• Options

Now I am super proud! All the folks I work with know about it. My friends know about it. My family of origin would know about it, if they understood what "video games" are and what "blogs" are and if they were interested in my hobbies! LOL! (In other words, I've told them about it, but once I start talking, they glaze over, and it becomes another one of my enthusiasms! LOL!)

I am fully owning my "weirdness!" (See my Solar Return post for my credo!)

Now, no one is at all impressed! LOL! But when I head off for vacation, and they ask what I'm doing, I'll say, "I'm writing! In my SimLit blog!" And they're like... OK! That sounds great!

If we're happy, those who know us will be happy for us!

And, Rainy... I'm make-believe! Right, sissy? XD

sometimes you go invisible sis but its a neat trick.
  • Options
    Sooo who wants to see what I who came home with me today?!
    img_0466.jpg
  • Options
    img_0466.jpg

you bought a mouse?
  • Options
    img_0466.jpg

Is that a possum? It's adorable! Will you keep it?