Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Fringe

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Asaoyoru wrote: »

I've come with a topic/a question that might concern those who take a more game-driven approach and like to play with their Sims whims and wishes in mind. My Generation 1 spouse, Sierra, is an active bookworm who likes to be creative a lot, especially since she had her child. But her aspiration is Computer Whiz. She never whims for anything video-game related and barely ever wants to program and when she does, her funmeter goes yellow very quickly. For the aspiration, she would have to quit her job as a writer (which she seems to love) and go into the techguru career ... But I'm not seeing her as that at all. What do you think I should do? Break the legacy rules and change her aspiration? Ignore the aspiration alltogether? I had to change Gael's because it was impossible to fulfill for a legacy because he couldn't own an apartment, but Sierra could very well do it ... Or am I thinking too much about this? Maybe I'm just weird and want to make my Sims happy too much?

Oooh! Great question!

I really like @allysimbuilds ' possibilities! What neat options!

I really like @ny275 's perspectives, too!

When I played Goofy Love, I really did try to be Pinstar compliant--I just wanted to have that experience. But I also wouldn't make Sims complete aspirations if it made them unhappy or unfulfilled doing so.

After Sugar became such a rebel, I really had to rethink my approach to gameplay. I pretty much decided not to do anymore challenges that would force me to have the Sims do things that either weren't in their best interests, harmed them in some way, or didn't let them lead the lives they wanted.

It's tough, because I enjoy the structure of rules and challenges--those limits are so fun to play under! Yet, I guess I decided it's more important to me not to infringe on my Sims' lives. So, if I ever do play a legacy again, I'd likely not follow the rules...

I also hated rolling for traits when the trait totally didn't fit the Sim--but that does result in complex Sims and interesting stories! :)

Sierra is so awesome, amazing, and well-adjusted--and, really, she's just an all-around role model for me!--so I'm sure however you handle it will work out really interesting and great! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Last spam before lunch! :) Just wanted to give a shout-out for the monthly short story contest--SO many great entries this time! Hope you all take a moment to read them!

Also, I'm so happy about this thread and that you're all here! You know I'd totally be laughed out of existence if I posted these ideas in most other threads! So... I feel happy to be able to share all sorts of ideas and to hear all your perspectives and enthusiasms!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • allysimbuildsallysimbuilds Posts: 422 Member
    Big Magic is a great read, for anyone really. It addresses the concerns and mental road-blocks we all create for ourselves to prevent anything amazing from happening. Because really, that's all fears and excuses are. I tend to live by the mantra "If you want something bad enough, you make it happen," and that's really what Big Magic discusses (in a much gentler way).

@CathyTea brings up an interesting concept here: the idea of making money. I know most SimLit writers I follow don't monetize their work, opting to solely write for pleasure instead. Is there anything inherently wrong with a banner ad? No, but I believe it does affect your mindset when crafting work. Things will subconsciously be written for view counts and hits, instead of quality, which is where the danger lies. Quality, and your own happiness with your work, should come above anything else. Otherwise, what's the point?

Living a creative life and producing something every day doesn't necessarily mean it'll generate revenue. The idea that spending time to do something because you like it is a waste of time because it doesn't generate income is absurd. This is a lesson I've been fighting a number of my relatives on for over a decade! :D In college this topic was reviewed often, motives for writing. My first semester at university, my fiction prof said in his thick South African accent "I mean, none of you are becoming writers for the money, right? That would be delusional. Only a handful of the writers that exist make bank off their work, let alone get an agent and a publisher to back them." Unanimously we all confessed we pursued writing for one reason, and one reason alone: for the fun of it.

I really wanted to touch on this in case any of you are currently inside this situation yourselves. I've been there, trying to defend writing of any kind as a meaningful way to spend time only to be met with impatience and rolling eyes. Just don't lose sight of your happiness, even if others in your life find it silly to play the Sims and write SimLit. That's why it's your happiness, lol.
  • ninaumininaumi Posts: 363 Member
    Hi @CathyTea !

The things you mentioned made me think about something. Namely, I've realized that I have a fear of indulging "too much" in Sims world, mostly writing. I guess it's because I am concerned too much about what others think of me, and take it personally. I haven't read the book, but I watched her TED talk, where she talks about creativity and says that creativity is something you get, not what's part of you. Something like that.
    I really need to stop worrying about what other people think, or will think about me. That stiffles me even when it comes to my social life. Thankfully, I've started to think about it a little.

@allysimbuilds

I wrote the above before I saw your post, but we said some similar things! :)
    @ninaumi I feel this all too often as well. I mean, I'm playing "a kids' game," right? Games aren't something adults indulge in (but for some reason sports are okay?). I've been playing the Sims since I was a kid and recently started my blog as a writing exercise, but when my friends and family ask me what I'm up to I clam up and get scared to divulge the secret. Worrying about how we are perceived is natural: if you're liked you can join the group and survive. But it's not really necessary anymore...is it? I say, you do you and be proud of it! Now if I could only get there myself... haha! Maybe we can find a little confidence together. B)

@CathyTea I fear I'd be laughed out as well!
    Big Magic is a great read, for anyone really. It addresses the concerns and mental road-blocks we all create for ourselves to prevent anything amazing from happening. Because really, that's all fears and excuses are. I tend to live by the mantra "If you want something bad enough, you make it happen," and that's really what Big Magic discusses (in a much gentler way).

@CathyTea brings up an interesting concept here: the idea of making money. I know most SimLit writers I follow don't monetize their work, opting to solely write for pleasure instead. Is there anything inherently wrong with a banner ad? No, but I believe it does affect your mindset when crafting work. Things will subconsciously be written for view counts and hits, instead of quality, which is where the danger lies. Quality, and your own happiness with your work, should come above anything else. Otherwise, what's the point?

Living a creative life and producing something every day doesn't necessarily mean it'll generate revenue. The idea that spending time to do something because you like it is a waste of time because it doesn't generate income is absurd. This is a lesson I've been fighting a number of my relatives on for over a decade! :D In college this topic was reviewed often, motives for writing. My first semester at university, my fiction prof said in his thick South African accent "I mean, none of you are becoming writers for the money, right? That would be delusional. Only a handful of the writers that exist make bank off their work, let alone get an agent and a publisher to back them." Unanimously we all confessed we pursued writing for one reason, and one reason alone: for the fun of it.

I really wanted to touch on this in case any of you are currently inside this situation yourselves. I've been there, trying to defend writing of any kind as a meaningful way to spend time only to be met with impatience and rolling eyes. Just don't lose sight of your happiness, even if others in your life find it silly to play the Sims and write SimLit. That's why it's your happiness, lol.

This is SO good of a point to make, @allysimbuilds ! I have an MFA in Creative Writing--It HAS opened a lot of doors for me! It got my boyfriend and me out of poverty and well into the middle class (which, during my Bohemian youth, was never actually an aspiration of mine, but I do love not living paycheck-to-paycheck and having the comfort and privilege of being well-employed). But it did so through the careers that the Master's degree opened up, not through the writing per se.

That said, writing is an important part of my life! I do write--a lot--for both jobs. But the writing that sustains me is fiction. I'm just happier and healthier when I write. Life feels... rich! It's become part of my processing.
    ninaumi wrote: »
    Hi @CathyTea !

The things you mentioned made me think about something. Namely, I've realized that I have a fear of indulging "too much" in Sims world, mostly writing. I guess it's because I am concerned too much about what others think of me, and take it personally. I haven't read the book, but I watched her TED talk, where she talks about creativity and says that creativity is something you get, not what's part of you. Something like that.
    I really need to stop worrying about what other people think, or will think about me. That stiffles me even when it comes to my social life. Thankfully, I've started to think about it a little.

@allysimbuilds

Yes! I think you're a very rich and interesting person, @ninaumi , so I love to read whatever you write! :)

I do feel it's important to maintain balance--when I am most engaged with Sims and writing SimLit, I remind myself to find balance through yoga, preparing meals, walking, cello, work projects, and just relaxing.

At the same time, when we can get balance, then Simming and writing SimLit feel like a nice and useful part of life! :)

It can be tough--especially in youth--to stop worrying about what others think, about their judgments. Starting to work on that in youth, though, is great, because it's definitely something that can be learned! One can develop the knack for saying, "OK... so-and-so thinks this is weird, and yes. I am weird. And it is very wonderful, and I wouldn't want to be any other way!" :)

@allysimbuilds You bring up such a good point about how we're wired to belong to the group--to fit in. And also how, in this current society, we can still survive when we don't! That's something I've been exploring a lot lately. I love the feel-good brain chemistry of belonging and connection. (I think it's a big part of why I created this thread, actually.) And at the same time, I like acknowledging those parts of my brain chemistry that are hand-me-downs, sociobiologically, from other times, when we needed to belong to the village and tribe to survive.

If we develop a bit of comfort and expansion with discomfort--in other words, if we can not always react to feelings of discomfort but can, instead, create space around them to let them be--then sometimes, we end up with more freedom in how we act. We don't have to be enslaved by social and biological imperatives... To me, that's part of living a free life.

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

This is SO good of a point to make, @allysimbuilds ! I have an MFA in Creative Writing--It HAS opened a lot of doors for me! It got my boyfriend and me out of poverty and well into the middle class (which, during my Bohemian youth, was never actually an aspiration of mine, but I do love not living paycheck-to-paycheck and having the comfort and privilege of being well-employed). But it did so through the careers that the Master's degree opened up, not through the writing per se.

That said, writing is an important part of my life! I do write--a lot--for both jobs. But the writing that sustains me is fiction. I'm just happier and healthier when I write. Life feels... rich! It's become part of my processing.
    ninaumi wrote: »
    Hi @CathyTea !

@allysimbuilds

Yes! I think you're a very rich and interesting person, @ninaumi , so I love to read whatever you write! :)

I do feel it's important to maintain balance--when I am most engaged with Sims and writing SimLit, I remind myself to find balance through yoga, preparing meals, walking, cello, work projects, and just relaxing.

At the same time, when we can get balance, then Simming and writing SimLit feel like a nice and useful part of life! :)

It can be tough--especially in youth--to stop worrying about what others think, about their judgments. Starting to work on that in youth, though, is great, because it's definitely something that can be learned! One can develop the knack for saying, "OK... so-and-so thinks this is weird, and yes. I am weird. And it is very wonderful, and I wouldn't want to be any other way!" :)

@allysimbuilds You bring up such a good point about how we're wired to belong to the group--to fit in. And also how, in this current society, we can still survive when we don't! That's something I've been exploring a lot lately. I love the feel-good brain chemistry of belonging and connection. (I think it's a big part of why I created this thread, actually.) And at the same time, I like acknowledging those parts of my brain chemistry that are hand-me-downs, sociobiologically, from other times, when we needed to belong to the village and tribe to survive.

If we develop a bit of comfort and expansion with discomfort--in other words, if we can not always react to feelings of discomfort but can, instead, create space around them to let them be--then sometimes, we end up with more freedom in how we act. We don't have to be enslaved by social and biological imperatives... To me, that's part of living a free life.

the first and last time i felt like part of a group in rl was in 7th grade. which by coincedence was the year Brian and i met. i agree with the point we tend to conform to the group. though i'm not proud of it Brian AND i used TO take PIECES of another student in our class lunch not the whole thing just chips and stuff like that. and i never thought of how wrong that was. but Brian was Older so i went along with it. i don't think either of us would think to do that now. but then it was about belonging .
  • StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    @CathyTea Hi! :):D;):p

So, I was looking for a new book to read and found this online book thing. It was a link from Goodreads but it's an online book. Anyway, what I'm getting to is that the author wrote it in chapters sort of like we do with our SimLit chapters ya know? And at the end of each chapter readers can review them and stuff. I thought it was interesting.
    @CathyTea Hi! :):D;):p

So, I was looking for a new book to read and found this online book thing. It was a link from Goodreads but it's an online book. Anyway, what I'm getting to is that the author wrote it in chapters sort of like we do with our SimLit chapters ya know? And at the end of each chapter readers can review them and stuff. I thought it was interesting.

Oh! That sounds awesome! Want to share the link?

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited July 2017
    @CathyTea I couldn't hear any Bible Verses because I was too busy doing other stuff. Hey everyone

@CathyTea I realize my style of dressing up the Disney sims? Apparently I was "Disneybound" them with in-game stuff. In RLF adults can't dress up in costumes unlike those under 14rs of age at Disney parks-so that for them to represent a character they have to use stuff from their closet.
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif
  • UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    Good news! I wrote for my story. Chapter 1 will be posted tomorrow, and chapter 2 on the 31st...since it's a 2 part thing. I have chapter 3 outlined in my head.

@Rainydayz179 Like @CathyTea would love a link to it! It sounds cool.

@MadameLee Hi! What have you been up to?
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
    @CathyTea @DreamsInPixels Here's the link: Fiction Press. I'm not really sure how it works. The book I read on there was really good considering it wasn't something that went through a publisher or anything. I have several book ideas that I've come up with over the years that I've never actually done anything with so I thought it was pretty interesting.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited July 2017
    Good news! I wrote for my story. Chapter 1 will be posted tomorrow, and chapter 2 on the 31st...since it's a 2 part thing. I have chapter 3 outlined in my head.

@Rainydayz179 Like @CathyTea would love a link to it! It sounds cool.

@MadameLee Hi! What have you been up to?

@DreamsInPixels I worked Bible Camp for 14 years and my jobs are making the snack time drinks, putting out the cups and pouring the drinks for snack time. This year I had the additonal job of taking the OTHER snacks (the kitchen station snacks the kids make) downstairs to check in/out area(s). And after the Youth's lunch putting the dishes away. Poor Office Admin T she had to juggle 3 balls this year-one ball is what she normally has to juggle-her everyday job. But her son, N is usually our DJ so T did that and she did the Youth's lunches as well. It's a good thing we had an office/health student C helping again this year because that made it easy for C to start making lunches for the youth while T did the closing bit. C also helped in the kitchen on Thursday because Mom's other kitchen lady was not there on Thursday. But Bible Camp is good for one thing-leftovers!

I'm been trying to Watch "Halloweentown" Disney Channel movie with Debbie Reynolds but I had been walking Cider and stopped to chat with neighbour and then by the time I got back it was swim time and after that I had to close one of the windows near my computer since I HATE it being open because it's a hard-to-access window if I want to close it. Then it was supper time and just now it was hair-washing time-after I'm done with this movie I have another 11 DCOMs to watch as well.
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I'm been trying to Watch "Halloweentown" Disney Channel movie with Debbie Reynolds but I had been walking Cider and stopped to chat with neighbour and then by the time I got back it was swim time and after that I had to close one of the windows near my computer since I HATE it being open because it's a hard-to-access window if I want to close it. Then it was supper time and just now it was hair-washing time-after I'm done with this movie I have another 11 DCOMs to watch as well.

Halloweentown is cute. Aren't there several ones?
    Thought I'd share my excitement with y'all here...

2017-07-30-09_58_41-dashboard-e280b9-e28094-wordpress.png
    @Rainydayz179 Congratulations! Thats so exciting! Awesome and terrific! I hope you're celebrating somehow, like a cupcake or a nap! Haha!
  • UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    I just posted the first chapter of my new story if anyone's interested <3

I already congratulated you @Rainydayz179 on twitter, but it's too awesome of an achievement to not congratulate you again :p
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
    @Rainydayz179 Congratulations! Thats so exciting! Awesome and terrific! I hope you're celebrating somehow, like a cupcake or a nap! Haha!

I should celebrate somehow! Although, I'm attempting Weight Watchers so no cupcakes for me!
    I already congratulated you @Rainydayz179 on twitter, but it's too awesome of an achievement to not congratulate you again :p

Hehe, thanks again! I'll go check out your new story since I'm in reader mode anyway. :D

I should celebrate somehow! Although, I'm attempting Weight Watchers so no cupcakes for me!

Hehe, thanks again! I'll go check out your new story since I'm in reader mode anyway. :D

congrats rainy.

i'm in my eyes should be open by now mode. i sleep better during the day right now which should make work intresting today. t night theres no distractions just e and my thoughts.
    congrats rainy.

i'm in my eyes should be open by now mode. i sleep better during the day right now which should make work intresting today. t night theres no distractions just e and my thoughts.

Thanks! :) I know what you mean about liking to stay up at night. It's so peaceful and there's no pressure to be doing something ya know? But alas, I'm supposed to sleep at night. Meh.
    congrats rainy.

Thanks! :) I know what you mean about liking to stay up at night. It's so peaceful and there's no pressure to be doing something ya know? But alas, I'm supposed to sleep at night. Meh.

the curse jes put on finally settled i sleep even if i have ideas. but then dad got sick.i hate the quiet.
  • AsaoyoruAsaoyoru Posts: 247 Member
    Thank you so much to everyone who gave me advice on how to handle the Sierra situation and pitched in otherwise! I have compiled all of the advice and decided to write another Sierra-centric chapter that will deal with that exact issue. I love how you can just post such a question here without getting laughed at.

Concerning the topic of writing, I think I'm pretty lucky. My parents are quite supportive of what I'm doing and since I'm going to be an editor one day, I will sort of make money with writing ... It's just other people's writing! Even though I dream of writing a book one day, I know I'm too bad to actually have a chance at getting published, so it's more like a pipe dream. The business is a hard one and well, writing SimLit is so great because you can engage directly with your readers and talk to them. I think that's really amazing!

@Rainydayz179 Congratulations on that huge milestone! You earned it!

Hope I didn't forget someone, I'm kind of rushing through right now. I will return with more later, when I have the time to write up a longer post!
    @Asaoyoru Thanks! I know how you feel about the book thing. You could always self publish if you're not in it for the money. Did you see that link to that writing website I posted yesterday? Apparently, you submit chapters and people read and review each one. Looks interesting but there are TONS of stories on there so I dunno.
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    @Rainydayz179 Congrats on the 100+ followers!

And hi everyone! I hope you're doing well!
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
    @Rainydayz179 Congrats on the 100+ followers!

Thanks! :)