Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Experience Playing Sims 3 After A Two Year Break

So I was looking at origin and saw sims 3 sitting there and after a good run with sims medieval I thought hey why not give it another go. So I spent all day installing my games and clicked that icon excited to give it another chance annnnnnnd it crashed, twice. First time was when I tried placing a house in sunset valley and the second time was when I was booting the game up (it actually shut my computer off). I now remember why I stopped playing in the first place.

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2017
    Aaaaaand time for a new computer I guess ;) (or whatever causes the crashes, not Sims 3)
    (I love your avatars by the way, all of them, stunning)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Aaaaaand time for a new computer I guess ;) (or whatever causes the crashes, not Sims 3)

I've always had this issue though. I like the game (I do own nearly all the packs) I am just angry that EA just left it in a shocking state.
    (Thanks about the avatars)
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    Whoa there, wait a minute. Your computer shut down completely leaving you looking at a totally blank, powered off screen the second time? Is this a laptop? What kind of specs does it have?

There are many things we can do to help players push their game along, even when playing on less than pristine hardware. TS3 is a 2009 game, it doesn't need all the power, bells, and whistles that for example 2017 gaming class machines tend to come with. Heck, I'm still playing and pushing the limits of what TS3 with all EPs can do on my desktop from late 2011 that never was more than mid-range just fine as are many others.

But the total shutdown thing is a built-in defense mechanism of your computer, sort of an emergency measure to protect against sudden overheating and meltdown. That's not a sign that the game was left in a shocking state (not that I'm saying it wasn't, certain things about TS3 are of course a mess) but rather something else. Some of these machines, no matter we suggest, are never going to be able to run the heavier hitting EPs like Pets and Seasons (for some IP and ITF as well), for example, nor any of it on high graphics options. They just aren't designed for that kind of stress. Although again not a new game, TS3 always was very GPU (graphics processor) intensive and not very forgiving if your computer just doesn't have the horsepower to run what you are throwing at it. TS4 is very different by design if you are using that as any kind of comparison, it has far fewer EPs still and tends to be more CPU (central processor) intensive.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    lovejess2 wrote: »

I've always had this issue though. I like the game (I do own nearly all the packs) I am just angry that EA just left it in a shocking state.
    I presume (for me this was new because I was a vanilla player for years, but for CC/mod users this probably is a 'whatever') you do make sure to clean your cache files and empty your currentgame file after a crash? Did you start an old save you had been playing before or a completely new one? My game crashed every time I started playing a few weeks ago (after about five minutes of playing). Going back to the previous save turned out to be the solution, apparently that last save had got borked somehow (cause probably being my sim selling gems and treasures from her inventory because that's all I had done between the previous and the last save).

Sims 3 most definitely is a temperamental delicate old lady by the way, I think we all can agree on that. But a game crashing on you like that all the time is not a necessity. My Sims 4 game did this for me when I started playing by the way (in fact even the demo did) so I do think, if a borked save or too much CC isn't the issue, it is your computer telling you something (in my case it probably was an insufficient graphic card).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I used to have my game crashing a lot and shutting my comouter down a few years ago when my computer fan was dying and the computer started overheating.I still use this laptop for my games with all of the collection installed.I also play very heavily Modded with about 700 Mod files and rarely get crashing and lag is almost unheard of in my games.I used to get corrupted saves when social workers took children away in older Mod-free saves which drove me to start Modding my game.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited July 2017
    You're going to get simmers trying to help you get the game running. I don't know if you intended to ask for help but you got it. We love our Sims 3 here. :p I gotta agree with igazor. Sounds like a possible heating issue. If you want to look into it, HW Monitor has a free version. Run it in the background with the game for a couple of minutes (10 minutes would be good but if not, any reading is helpful.) Report back here with your computer specs + max temp readings for both CPU (processor) and GPU (graphics card) if you have one... or a screenshot will do too.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options

I presume (for me this was new because I was a vanilla player for years, but for CC/mod users this probably is a 'whatever') you do make sure to clean your cache files and empty your currentgame file after a crash? Did you start an old save you had been playing before or a completely new one? My game crashed every time I started playing a few weeks ago (after about five minutes of playing). Going back to the previous save turned out to be the solution, apparently that last save had got borked somehow (cause probably being my sim selling gems and treasures from her inventory because that's all I had done between the previous and the last save).

Sims 3 most definitely is a temperamental delicate old lady by the way, I think we all can agree on that. But a game crashing on you like that all the time is not a necessity. My Sims 4 game did this for me when I started playing by the way (in fact even the demo did) so I do think, if a borked save or too much CC isn't the issue, it is your computer telling you something (in my case it probably was an insufficient graphic card).
    hmmm I've always thought of it as a grumpy old man. :D the launcher too if it's overstuffed with installed sims3packs.

• Options
    jusMehjusMeh Posts: 424 Member
    edited July 2017
    Yep, OP, sounds like it's about time for a new computer. Not only does my game run without crashing but it takes 2 min. to load for a new save and 7 minutes to load for an older one, and I'm on the 7th. generation of a legacy. LOL. It's not the game, it is YOUR equipment. What are you running, Windows XP? :D There are also maintenance things you should do to keep the game running smoothly. But if you're too lazy to do that then just stick with your simple sims 4 game. ;)

edit: the only time I've ever had a game shut the PC itself off, is during the Sims 2 era when we bought a graphics card that way entirely too powerful for the computer itself. Again - nothing to do with that game, either. This is a heating issue like others mentioned.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I wouldn't assume OP needs a new computer considering we don't know what their specs are. It could heat related, mod related, something they're running in the background, plus other factors. My own custom desktop is overkill for the sims yet I can manage to make it crash every now and then. Either by hitting the games 32-bit ram limit or possible conflicting mods... sometimes it just comes down to the game being finicky as normal.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I don't think it's necessary to beat up the OP unless it is revealed that they knew all this and only started this thread to be annoying and have a good laugh (guess that's possible, but not really seeing it).

I guarantee you that I could go out to a store and spend a few hundred simoleons on a brand new laptop today that would function for general purposes well enough but would choke on TS3 entirely. And of course some players just cannot afford better equipment or have no desire to replace what they have if it meets their other needs. Yes, the game requires more resources than it probably should due to lack of optimization as the EPs kept rolling out, but when given a suitable environment in which to run and with some care and feeding, the point is that the game still runs, it can run well, and brings enjoyment to many of us as it does so.

We had far too many to count players on weak integreated graphics chips, too slow processors, and not enough RAM demanding to know what EA goofed up when they installed Pets years ago for example and their games failed. EA did make some mistakes with that one and patched them up, but I'm sorry it's not EA's fault if players push their computers further than they can possibly go with these games for whatever reason.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    edited July 2017
    @lovejess2

This happened to me recently: turned out that my graphics card was the main issue, though there was also a malfunctioning fan that caused my PC to overheat~ any time I tried to launch the game, the computer would have a thermal event and crash.

When your computer shuts off on its own like that, it's trying to preserve its hardware... which probably means you need a new graphics card (or, if you're on a laptop, a whole new computer).

At least, if you have a desktop, you can replace individual parts instead of the whole thing. If you're in the market, talk to a techie friend and have him or her build you a new one; s/he will know where to find the best deals and can build you a custom rig that's 1/3 of the price you'd pay for a pre-built setup in-store.

TS3 is a temperamental old lady (as @JoAnne65 so perfectly stated above lol) and was never intended to run on newer machines. Another player on these forums told me that, with newer graphics cards, you have to manually cap the frame rate or else the game will force it to produce more than 2500 FPS, thus burning it out well before its projected lifespan... But that's the price we pay for loving a 10-year-old game, I suppose.
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @lauravonawesome - 2,500 fps would be quite an extreme case, but yes it is true that TS3 has no built-in frame rate limiter like more modern games do, even TS4 has this. Back in 2009, and prior when the game was still being designed, such wasn't planned for as most graphics cards at the time wouldn't have been powerful enough to run wild on frame rates like that even if they wanted to. My card from 2011 still needs its frame rate capped or it wanders away from where it should be a bit, so it's not just the newest ones that now have to be accounted for. It's not difficult to do once we find the right tool among several for which our cards will honor the settings.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited July 2017

hmmm I've always thought of it as a grumpy old man. :D the launcher too if it's overstuffed with installed sims3packs.
    Lol, works for me as well :D

@igazor I don't see anyone beating up the OP :o ? Reacting to what @lauravonawesome says: it's true new computer can have certain issues with the game older didn't. My underwater world used to me sharp and awesome, now all of a sudden it's blurry (while everything above water is sharp and graphically fine).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @JoAnne65 -Sorry to single anyone out, but look back two posts before mine. In most circles, "lazy person," "XP user" (by the way, for many the game ran better on XP anyway not that it's recommended anymore for other reasons), "stick with your simple sims...game" are not considered very friendly compliments to be handing out. We're all making the same points essentially, but there are kind and then more brusque ways to make them and still be helpful.

"Time to get a new computer" is not helpful to anyone who might be struggling financially. But that's not an excuse to bash a game either, just because they themselves cannot play it currently, which I think is a point most of us are trying to make in between saying other things.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2017
    I hope you can get it to work if you still want to play. I mostly play the sims 4 but still feel like there is so much missing from the world sometimes. Sims4 also runs more smoothly for me and I have a newer gaming rig. I love going back to the sims 3 with the pets and the weather and the random bad things that occasionally happen.

I love that on a full moon I am creeped out and my sims have to lock their doors and I love that I can turn faries off just by clicking a box. There are holidays in the sims 3 and festivals that are so much fun to attend! Oh and my sims can actually swim in the water and hang on the beaches!!

Personally I love the rabbit holes and trips to the grocery store and you can buy a lotto ticket too!! Relationships take a little more work and I appreciate that too. And seasons, did I mention the weather? Weather is hugely immersive for me!

Ok now I want to go play..
  • Options
    lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    @igazor as usual, you're full of info~ I had no idea that newer-older (wait, what?) cards did that too. I guess it just never came up.

I was using a 5 year-old R7 260x before, and I have a GTX 1060 now; hubs got a really good deal online and manually capped my frame rate for TS3 at 60 (which I understand is the gold standard for gaming). Here's hoping I don't have to replace it for a while.

@shellbeme many of the reasons you listed are why I love TS3 as well (except the full moon, because the in-game lighting changes and it hurts my eyes). But now I want to play too lol.

Happy Simming!

-von
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif