Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

IP, the eternal problem child

I have been playing IP for maybe four weeks now. I have had to restart three times due to various issues. The first time, I didn't have all of ciane's recommended fixes in place and I had pets installed. Lag was manageable but getting worse and I had strays ghosting in and immediately disappearing due to register's settings.

I went back to my template and started over with a fresh saved template, turned off pets, removed the towers and killed the houseboats among other things. Then I start getting crashes to desktop and memory dumps. I notice my store content is gone and decide my dccache has some files that are too large, so I wipe all my store stuff and start reinstalling using ciane's manual process to force ebc files to stay below 200,000 MB. I reloaded less than half my store content because it was not needed for this story.

My current attempt at playing IP. This version has been up for 5 days, of which I probably played 10 - 12 hours total. It has crashed to desktop twice now. Here's what I have done. Please tell me what else I can do that might fix this:

Removed the towers
Moved all the houseboat families to shore
Deleted all houseboats in the game.
Changed every port to NVA
Removed the undiscovered island fog
Removed the park stairs, fixed the many spiral stairs, fixed the arches, demolished Modern Folly Makeover because I got routing issues no matter what I redesigned, fixed the castle

I have Overwatch and Error Trap as well as MC, Traveler, Register, Relativity and a few others.

I look at the dump file (which like an idiot, I deleted before asking for help) and I had not exceeded my page file, I still had plenty of available memory and I have 500 GB free on my HDD. I just installed a new GTX 1080 and it has been flawless.

I am starting to lose hope on this world. :'(

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Have you tried playing ciane's ready to go saved game version of the world? That way you don't have to worry about which fixes to use or not bother with, she's done it all for us.

On the list of things that must be tended to pretty much no matter what are the four most problematic residential lots. They either need to be fixed or bulldozed, for most players the game engine cannot withstand the ensuing lag when the sims who live on these lots cannot get into and out of their own houses and are constantly re-routed.

Medina
    Ichtaca (the castle)
    Los Amigos
    Scott (this is a houseboat, so doesn't apply if you have gotten rid of the port as well as the boat or no one lives there)

But it's also okay to cut one's losses with that world. The EP content is usually fine when played elsewhere. Some see the Isla Paradiso world as just a large set of diminishing returns -- why bother with it if player-made tropical worlds just work better?
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Worlds+Recommended+By+Wiki+Members
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    Bulldozed Medina, Fixed Ichtaca, Fixed Los Amigos, bulldozed Scott. Have not downloaded Ciane's save. May try that if it continues to degrade. :/ I wanted to max diving and visit all the dive spots before moving to another world once I was "saved" from my shipwrecked state.

Now I have reset all my graphics lower to help and the water looks awful compared to what it did.