Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why is content produced in the order it's produced?

So looking at this example, we voted on theme, then on furniture and CAS clothing items, and then finally on gameplay objects. However, this order creates the oddity where for example, when it came time to vote on furniture objects, we saw laundry baskets, ironing boards and other such objects despite the fact that we'd never definitively voted on laundry yet. What the heck would've happened if the laundry items won the furniture round, but then come time for the gameplay objects, people decided they were interested in different gameplay objects besides laundry...? Had we done it the other way around, then we'd have the gameplay objects first and the team could design the suggested furniture items around whichever gameplay object theme won. Seems better, no?

Is there a reason for this? Like is this production order more sensible for the team somehow when the team is just working amongst themselves but it translates poorly to such a public project here? Is there not actually such a defined production system (aka the team might produce CAS or furniture or gameplay objects first; however they happen to feel with each pack) and the gameplay objects were set last here just to give the vote more suspense and keep user attention to the project high until the end...?

It's just one of those things that, in retrospect, perhaps should've been done the other way around. Just curious to know how it actually looks in normal production though.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?"

Comments

• Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    I feel like someone explained the reasoning behind the order at one point, which is totally unhelpful right now because I don't remember who, when, or where. I just remember reading the whole explanation and going "right... beurocracy" in my head. Basically it seemed like the way their production works and the way they have various teams in various locations set up makes it so they have to make stuff packs in an order that doesn't make much logical sense because it's just more expedient that way.

I agree though. It would make much more sense to choose the gameplay and then design the rest of the pack around that. Since they can't do that, their packs end up not feeling cohesive.

I feel like I read some explanation about (theoretically) if beekeeping was chosen as a feature. They said they likely wouldn't get to create a beekeeping outfit to go with it because they always choose the objects first before deciding on the feature and there likely wouldn't be enough resources in the end to quickly make and throw in the outfit to go with the feature. It's a shame it has to be this way.
  • heatherXkittyheatherXkitty Posts: 307 Member
    edited July 2017
    This makes me think of the concept art vote. Why did they choose that room, a room that looks sorta like a laundry room, out of all the rooms they could have done? What was the reasoning behind it?

Note: I don't mean to bring up the "why is laundry in an eco pack?" thing with the intention of starting a heated debate. I am merely using this as an example to paint a better picture to what I am asking.
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2017
    This makes me think of the concept art vote. Why did they choose that room, a room that looks sorta like a laundry room, out of all the rooms they could have done? What was the reasoning behind it?

Note: I don't mean to bring up the "why is laundry in an eco pack?" thing with the intention of starting a heated debate. I am merely using this as an example to paint a better picture to what I am asking.

Exactly as technically most eco friendly homes are small on space and have neither a mud room or laundry room. Things that look like deco generally are usable items done in such a way they look decorative when not in use as we live eco friendly and nothing is a dust grabber in our homes. Everything has a use and space is never wasted. Machinery is a no-no unless it is solar powered and necessary.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited July 2017
    They had it almost completely backwards. The first step and the last step are fine, but the middle two are completely switched around. Which frankly only adds to my suspicion the whole thing was an elaborate PR stunt.

It should have been theme (which they did), then gameplay objects (since the voted theme would determine the game play), other objects and clothing (since they compliment the game play objects, as they did in this pack *mysteriously*), and then name/icon.

They wanted to give us an insight as to how a pack is made and all I can wonder is "Is TS4 such plumsauce because their entire process is flawed?" It's either that or the whole thing was a lie. Neither one of them looks any good for them.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,188 SimGuru
    You'll find some relevant information in my replies to previous threads...

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15684375/#Comment_15684375

and

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15672809/#Comment_15672809

The process we're following for this Stuff Pack project is the same one we follow for all of our SPs. We're not altering the process to put a friendly spin on it; it's a raw look at how game development works and the choices that go into it. The dates of each vote were determined by specific internal milestones that must be hit on time for this pack to hit its release date on time. For all of the mimic objects and pieces of clothing to be ready in time for a Stuff Pack's release date, they have to be concepted in house and then built by our external partners well in advance of when we actually develop the gameplay features. (Again, this aspect is specific to SPs, and isn't necessarily the same for Game Packs and Expansion Packs which have longer development schedules.) For specific details on why that is, and how it impacts development, I'd encourage you to read through the threads linked above.
    Well then if this is actually the process that's actually followed when a pack is created, its not a wonder they're all so underwhelming.
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member

and

The process we're following for this Stuff Pack project is the same one we follow for all of our SPs. We're not altering the process to put a friendly spin on it; it's a raw look at how game development works and the choices that go into it. The dates of each vote were determined by specific internal milestones that must be hit on time for this pack to hit its release date on time. For all of the mimic objects and pieces of clothing to be ready in time for a Stuff Pack's release date, they have to be concepted in house and then built by our external partners well in advance of when we actually develop the gameplay features. (Again, this aspect is specific to SPs, and isn't necessarily the same for Game Packs and Expansion Packs which have longer development schedules.) For specific details on why that is, and how it impacts development, I'd encourage you to read through the threads linked above.

I just have a couple of questions:

Why was laundry listed as a potential area of focus for Eco Living theme? Washers, dryers, not only waste precious resources of water and electricity, but also damage the environment with harsh chemicals?

Why did the Art Style Vote from April 10th - April 12 specifically show two styles of laundry rooms? Style A was definitely modern while style B was more casual, but nonetheless, both of the Art Styles were obviously a laundry room? Why not a kitchen? How about a bedroom or living room?

The object and clothing vote on May 18th - May 21st again contained a lot of laundry room decor items? Why not decor items for other rooms or outside decorative items? Why were most of the items specifically for laundry? Examples, the sinks were obviously washtubs, ironing board, shelf with an iron, hangers and clothes on them?

The feature vote on June 23rd - June 26th. Why did you make a point several weeks to a month prior that laundry was going to be one of the voting options? You didn't mention that canning/nectar making or solar panels and wind turbines would also be in the list prior to the vote, not even on your livestream.

I can't speak about how others feel, but for me, it's simple. I don't hate laundry, but I also don't consider it to be a "must have" for my game play. I am upset, because since this SP is considered "Eco-Living", and based off all of the blogs during this project, none of these ideas will ever be revisited.

Laundry did not fit this theme. Laundry could have been incorporated into dozens of other SP ideas as well as part of almost any GP or EP content. I know that you are passionate about this idea, because you have been endorsing and pushing to make a pack about Laundry since September, 2016, but I really am just underwhelmed by what this pack with offer.

There is no way that Washers and Dryers are going to be added in for free in a patch prior to release like dishwashers were in August of 2015 prior to Cool Kitchen. Because they were free, simmers could still use the dishwasher that came with later packs even if they never purchased Cool Kitchen. What that means is that there will only be one style of washer and dryer in the pack, which in order to match the rest of build/buy items already selected back in May will have to be some old retro 1950's to 1970's washer and dryer. Since the animations would be different because all of those old washers and dryers were top loaders, and newer machines are generally fancy front loaders or under the counter models, I doubt that is in the budget for too many animations to be added especially since the description mentioned doing laundry by hand too. Besides, the Art Style and objects that were chosen would look horrible with fancy new machines and there is nothing else already in game that could be used to decorate a laundry with new machines.

So in summary, this is why I am disappointed and even a little angry about how this project was handled. The game play has nothing to do with the theme that was selected. Because of this, game play that actually fits the theme will not be considered again, because the theme was wasted for a completely unrelated concept that "won".

Laundry in Sims 4 will be "Less Than Feature" then it was in Sims 3. One Style of machines. No venue. Hand washing will probably take 6-8 hours cause at the moment it takes a single sim with no distractions 3 hours to eat a plate of food.

edited July 2017

and

Why was laundry listed as a potential area of focus for Eco Living theme? Washers, dryers, not only waste precious resources of water and electricity, but also damage the environment with harsh chemicals?

Why did the Art Style Vote from April 10th - April 12 specifically show two styles of laundry rooms? Style A was definitely modern while style B was more casual, but nonetheless, both of the Art Styles were obviously a laundry room? Why not a kitchen? How about a bedroom or living room?

The object and clothing vote on May 18th - May 21st again contained a lot of laundry room decor items? Why not decor items for other rooms or outside decorative items? Why were most of the items specifically for laundry? Examples, the sinks were obviously washtubs, ironing board, shelf with an iron, hangers and clothes on them?

The feature vote on June 23rd - June 26th. Why did you make a point several weeks to a month prior that laundry was going to be one of the voting options? You didn't mention that canning/nectar making or solar panels and wind turbines would also be in the list prior to the vote, not even on your livestream.

I can't speak about how others feel, but for me, it's simple. I don't hate laundry, but I also don't consider it to be a "must have" for my game play. I am upset, because since this SP is considered "Eco-Living", and based off all of the blogs during this project, none of these ideas will ever be revisited.

Laundry did not fit this theme. Laundry could have been incorporated into dozens of other SP ideas as well as part of almost any GP or EP content. I know that you are passionate about this idea, because you have been endorsing and pushing to make a pack about Laundry since September, 2016, but I really am just underwhelmed by what this pack with offer.

There is no way that Washers and Dryers are going to be added in for free in a patch prior to release like dishwashers were in August of 2015 prior to Cool Kitchen. Because they were free, simmers could still use the dishwasher that came with later packs even if they never purchased Cool Kitchen. What that means is that there will only be one style of washer and dryer in the pack, which in order to match the rest of build/buy items already selected back in May will have to be some old retro 1950's to 1970's washer and dryer. Since the animations would be different because all of those old washers and dryers were top loaders, and newer machines are generally fancy front loaders or under the counter models, I doubt that is in the budget for too many animations to be added especially since the description mentioned doing laundry by hand too. Besides, the Art Style and objects that were chosen would look horrible with fancy new machines and there is nothing else already in game that could be used to decorate a laundry with new machines.

So in summary, this is why I am disappointed and even a little angry about how this project was handled. The game play has nothing to do with the theme that was selected. Because of this, game play that actually fits the theme will not be considered again, because the theme was wasted for a completely unrelated concept that "won".

Laundry in Sims 4 will be "Less Than Feature" then it was in Sims 3. One Style of machines. No venue. Hand washing will probably take 6-8 hours cause at the moment it takes a single sim with no distractions 3 hours to eat a plate of food.

3 hours to eat a plate of food or do anything really. I sent my sim to go bang on the door of her loud neighbors right near the start of when they started to get noisy and by the time she actually got around to doing it, they stopped being noisy. But when I tried to cancel out of it, an x appeared over the icon, but she took about an hour to walk over to the door to not do anything anyway hahahaha
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
    edited July 2017

and

@SimGuruGraham I ask you this and would appreciate an honest answer; Why was laundry listed as a potential feature in the Eco theme and not the Starter Home theme?

Laundry would have fit perfectly in the Starter Home theme. It does not, in any way, fit in the Eco theme.
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200

and

@SimGuruGraham I ask you this and would appreciate an honest answer; Why was laundry listed as a potential feature in the Eco theme and not the Starter Home theme?

Laundry would have fit perfectly in the Starter Home theme. It does not, in any way, fit in the Eco theme.

Exactly

and

Forget that, why wasn't it in the Parenthood pack that a whole bunch of people JUST dumped money on them for? What else screams parenthood other than laundry? Was it to con an extra $10 out of suckers who were desperate for laundry instead of packaging it with other things like it always has been and should always be? I want Graham to answer that. He can get the answer from his bosses for that one.
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
    edited July 2017

and

Forget that, why wasn't it in the Parenthood pack that a whole bunch of people JUST dumped money on them for? What else screams parenthood other than laundry? Was it to con an extra $10 out of suckers who were desperate for laundry instead of packaging it with other things like it always has been and should always be? I want Graham to answer that. He can get the answer from his bosses for that one.

Obviously they were in it for the money. Example: Bowling had always been a nice side feature in eps in past Sims games and yet they dedicated a whole sp to it this time around. Which is the only reason I am boycotting buying it.
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200

and

Obviously they were in it for the money. Bowling had always been a nice side feature in eps in past Sims games and yet they dedicated a whole sp to it this time around. Which is the only reason I am boycotting buying it.

Yeah I unfortunately bought that. And the fitness SP. Didn't use a single thing from either one of them. Soon after I found out that TS3 runs faster on my laptop than TS4 so I uninstalled 4 hahahahaha I might come back if it gets good. I'll check up on updates until then.
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
    My response to @DeservedCriticism in this thread isn't a good reason to go off topic on other lines of unrelated questions. You're welcome to start your own separate threads on other topics if you'd like. I'm hoping to share more information soon, but it does require finding time in my schedule to write longer responses here that properly convey the kind of transparency we want for this project.
    My response to @DeservedCriticism in this thread isn't a good reason to go off topic on other lines of unrelated questions. You're welcome to start your own separate threads on other topics if you'd like. I'm hoping to share more information soon, but it does require finding time in my schedule to write longer responses here that properly convey the kind of transparency we want for this project.

My questions were not off topic, as they relate to the order of the votes.

If Laundry was already decided as the focus of the pack, then your process makes sense.

Theme vote April 3rd - April 6th: Laundry included in description of Eco Living, but Laundry is completely unrelated to Eco Living concepts.

Art Style Vote April 10th - April 12th: Styled Rooms were Laundry Rooms? Why not Kitchen, Bathroom, Bedroom, or Living Room? The Art Style shouldn't have anything to do with potential game play, unless it was already the focus?

Object and Clothing Vote May 18th - May 21st:
    I would agree that the clothing wasn't really important regarding the potential game play unless it showed a specific outfit for game play (beekeeper outfit, firefighter, or burglar) for example.
    The objects on the other hand definitely contained laundry room items, which again why if laundry was not already decided?

Feature Vote June 23rd - June 26th: Why was laundry the only item you confirmed would be in this vote from the brainstorm list weeks prior to the vote? Why not mention some of the other options?

These are not off topic, because the OP is questioning this process and the order of these decisions. It doesn't make sense with this project that the Art Style Vote, and Object and clothing Vote were clearly already focused around laundry, yet laundry had not been voted in yet?

Could you please explain how you and your team decided to used specific laundry themed decor and objects for 2nd and 3rd votes in April and May, because at that time the game play focus had not been decided yet and was not due to be voted on by the community until June?

My questions were not off topic, as they relate to the order of the votes.

If Laundry was already decided as the focus of the pack, then your process makes sense.

Theme vote April 3rd - April 6th: Laundry included in description of Eco Living, but Laundry is completely unrelated to Eco Living concepts.

Art Style Vote April 10th - April 12th: Styled Rooms were Laundry Rooms? Why not Kitchen, Bathroom, Bedroom, or Living Room? The Art Style shouldn't have anything to do with potential game play, unless it was already the focus?

Object and Clothing Vote May 18th - May 21st:
    I would agree that the clothing wasn't really important regarding the potential game play unless it showed a specific outfit for game play (beekeeper outfit, firefighter, or burglar) for example.
    The objects on the other hand definitely contained laundry room items, which again why if laundry was not already decided?

Feature Vote June 23rd - June 26th: Why was laundry the only item you confirmed would be in this vote from the brainstorm list weeks prior to the vote? Why not mention some of the other options?

These are not off topic, because the OP is questioning this process and the order of these decisions. It doesn't make sense with this project that the Art Style Vote, and Object and clothing Vote were clearly already focused around laundry, yet laundry had not been voted in yet?

Could you please explain how you and your team decided to used specific laundry themed decor and objects for 2nd and 3rd votes in April and May, because at that time the game play focus had not been decided yet and was not due to be voted on by the community until June?

Mic drop.
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World

How is it off topic? We're talking about the vote process and the vote items, and I happen to be mentioning the items shouldn't have even needed to be in the vote in the first place ;)
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World

Our questions weren't off topic.
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200

Our questions weren't off topic.

Oh I just noticed you have my petition in your sig lmao Someone else took up the mantle for that, all the names were just transferred over, because I uninstalled TS4. I posted the new link in the edited post where the petition was
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World

and

After re-reading your comments regarding why swimwear was not added to backyard due to the fact that the team had not decided on the waterslide at that time and how in the case of bowling, the pack was designed around the game play item.

If the theme was still being voted on until April 6, 2017, could you explain these comments on April 3 and April 4?

Post Pictures Of Washers and Dryers you would love to see in the Eco StuffPack Clothesline Included
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/915578/post-pictures-of-washers-and-dryers-you-would-love-to-see-in-the-eco-stuffpack-clothes-line-included#latest

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15661926#Comment_15661926
    April 3, 2017

Will Laundry Come In an Update?
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15662054#Comment_15662054
    April 3, 2017

(Clothes) Iron-and ironing boards in a eco living stuff pack
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/915663/clothes-iron-and-ironing-boards-in-a-eco-living-stuff-pack#latest

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15665719#Comment_15665719
    April 4, 2017
    edited July 2017

and

After re-reading your comments regarding why swimwear was not added to backyard due to the fact that the team had not decided on the waterslide at that time and how in the case of bowling, the pack was designed around the game play item.

If the theme was still being voted on until April 6, 2017, could you explain these comments on April 3 and April 4?

Post Pictures Of Washers and Dryers you would love to see in the Eco StuffPack Clothesline Included
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/915578/post-pictures-of-washers-and-dryers-you-would-love-to-see-in-the-eco-stuffpack-clothes-line-included#latest

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15661926#Comment_15661926
    April 3, 2017

Will Laundry Come In an Update?
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15662054#Comment_15662054
    April 3, 2017

(Clothes) Iron-and ironing boards in a eco living stuff pack
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/915663/clothes-iron-and-ironing-boards-in-a-eco-living-stuff-pack#latest

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15665719#Comment_15665719
    April 4, 2017

Hahahahaha I guess that's why he's called a guru, if cults have taught me anything its that most gurus are scammers.
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
    I've replied to a number of threads on this forum, and on twitter, discussing various design ideas and proposed features for this project. As @DeservedCriticism has been answered, and the thread is continuing to be derailed, it's being closed.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top