Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Collab for the Alien Adoption Challenge #Collab4AAC

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    edited February 2018
    Karilan wrote: »
    Has anyone established lucky/unlucky numbers in their alien lore yet?

If not, does anyone have anything against the number 7 being considered a bad omen?

Well.... considering Septemus is 77, it might be an issue? And his family last name is Sevens.... so. I think maybe it could be problematic?

EDIT: and also Septemus means seven...

On the other hand, 7 is a base-10 number, and Vingihoplo is base-12, so maybe it's OK!

@Xantheanmar : are you around? What are your thoughts on this?
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Fine by me. Maybe there's a culture that reveres the number 7 too.

Oh! What if it's a Mainstreamer bad omen, but a rebel lucky number? That would totally work with me!

@For_Eorzea
    And it might be a neat touch with Navi finally meets Sept!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • For_EorzeaFor_Eorzea Posts: 380 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Fine by me. Maybe there's a culture that reveres the number 7 too.

Oh! What if it's a Mainstreamer bad omen, but a rebel lucky number? That would totally work with me!

@For_Eorzea
    And it might be a neat touch with Navi finally meets Sept!
    well, yeah... in my head, though, the Lanterns colony is just one part of a huge empire with varying cultures and traditions.
  • XantheanmarXantheanmar Posts: 445 Member
    Quoth the Xan: Why would it even be the same on a singular planet?
    41tidg8.jpg
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    I can easily use the number 8! I had thought about you @CathyTea
    Does anyone have issue with #8? Whatever number becomes the superstition will make the number before it significant and important, so this could even have a positive impact on your household!

Based on the suggestions here, I do intend for the superstition to come from a different planet. I have ideas brewing for a myth like the one you did for the soul worm, so I will send it out to the group or post it here for feedback before officially posting it! Honestly my ideas around this have blown up because of the inspiration here!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
    Does anyone have issue with #8? Whatever number becomes the superstition will make the number before it significant and important, so this could even have a positive impact on your household!

Based on the suggestions here, I do intend for the superstition to come from a different planet. I have ideas brewing for a myth like the one you did for the soul worm, so I will send it out to the group or post it here for feedback before officially posting it! Honestly my ideas around this have blown up because of the inspiration here!

I really think 8 works better for me! Sept has such a lucky feel to him... and though he's not superstitious, I am, very much! (I'm mildly triskaidekaphobic. )

No one has taken 8 or 88 (and Xila has 87, which will make her important! :) ), so I think that works! :)

XAN! Tackle-hug! You ARE around! I've missed you!

• XantheanmarXantheanmar Posts: 445 Member

Hehe I do lurk a lot. I've been around, just not writing.
    41tidg8.jpg

I really think 8 works better for me! Sept has such a lucky feel to him... and though he's not superstitious, I am, very much! (I'm mildly triskaidekaphobic. )

No one has taken 8 or 88 (and Xila has 87, which will make her important! :) ), so I think that works! :)

8 it is! This does not necessarily mean that baby #8 will be a bad omen, in fact whomever chooses that child could definitely use the myth I create as a back story! As soon as I'm done writing it up I'll post it here. Unlikely to be tonight as I have a bit of other writing to do. :)
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • ny275ny275 Posts: 261 Member
    @Karilan Whisper is number 98 but I can't imagine this would... heavily impact her story. Or maybe it will... All that to say, no objection. I'm excited to see what you cook up.

Hehe I do lurk a lot. I've been around, just not writing.

I'll talk to your shadow, then, when I miss you! (which is whenever I don't see you! :) )

Shadami wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm hoping to read a few first though ^^; I'm still super confused with the whole "hybrid/full thing" that i've been reading when looking up information on them.

Hiya, @Shadami ! So happy you're considering joining us! :) It's super fun.

I'm getting a bit of experience with the hybrid/full thing!
    Some kids from extra-T and non-ET Sims are full. Octavius Sevens is an example of this. As an extra-T, he's got all the extra-T option, including disguises, telepathy (in-game), and so on. Some are not full! They may have the same skin color as extra-Ts, but they tend to have hair and non-extra-T eyes, and they don't have the option for disguises or the other actions that are extra-T-specific.

Thanks. I'm hoping to read a few first though ^^; I'm still super confused with the whole "hybrid/full thing" that i've been reading when looking up information on them.

Some kids from extra-T and non-ET Sims are full. Octavius Sevens is an example of this. As an extra-T, he's got all the extra-T option, including disguises, telepathy (in-game), and so on. Some are not full! They may have the same skin color as extra-Ts, but they tend to have hair and non-extra-T eyes, and they don't have the option for disguises or the other actions that are extra-T-specific.

I hadn't considered this before. Is hair a strictly human trait?

Is it unusual that Blossom has hair?
    D2vFwMN.jpg

I think a lot of the extra-T kids in our collab have hair (kids who are part of the project)... (You can give extra-Ts hair in CAS...) It's just that in-game, the full extra-Ts (to the best of my knowledge, which is, admittedly, limited) do not age-up with hair. It would need to be put on in CAS (as far as I know...)

I think a lot of the extra-T kids in our collab have hair (kids who are part of the project)... (You can give extra-Ts hair in CAS...) It's just that in-game, the full extra-Ts (to the best of my knowledge, which is, admittedly, limited) do not age-up with hair. It would need to be put on in CAS (as far as I know...)

I second that observation - every game generated extra-T I've seen has no hair. Blossom grew up with hair but I believe that's because I added hair to her toddler. Ah well, I'll chalk it up to an error in cloning. :D
    D2vFwMN.jpg

I second that observation - every game generated extra-T I've seen has no hair. Blossom grew up with hair but I believe that's because I added hair to her toddler. Ah well, I'll chalk it up to an error in cloning. :D

Luna Kari and Morning Joe have hair, too--they come from different ethnic groups than no-hair Sept! :)

• superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Yeah, Kanto doesn't have hair, and that was because none of the game generated Extra-Ts have hair... but I know there are quite a few (in the collaboration) who do have hair - I go by the assumption that all the different extra-T's are various subspecies of one another. Some have hair, some don't - I just figure it's an adapted trait - hair is used to keep them warm, or to keep things out of eyes, or whatever (as a non-biologist, I can't say the true purpose of humans having hair, ahahaha).
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
    Yeah, Kanto doesn't have hair, and that was because none of the game generated Extra-Ts have hair... but I know there are quite a few (in the collaboration) who do have hair - I go by the assumption that all the different extra-T's are various subspecies of one another. Some have hair, some don't - I just figure it's an adapted trait - hair is used to keep them warm, or to keep things out of eyes, or whatever (as a non-biologist, I can't say the true purpose of humans having hair, ahahaha).

Total speculation but I believe warmth is fairly accurate? Isn't that why we have tiny hairs all over our body?
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • wendelynewendelyne Posts: 212 Member
    Or you could say that hair is a genetic mutation from something like being on earth for too long ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Total speculation but I believe warmth is fairly accurate? Isn't that why we have tiny hairs all over our body?

I think so too - but like I said, I'm not a biologist, and I feel like our eyelashes exist because they help keep stuff out of our eyes?
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,222 Member
    Pretty sure that's correct.
    image.png
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    I've been thinking that some ethnic groups or subspecies have hair. It's actually going to be a minor plot point (or a point in backstory) that Taimi has hair.

Also I like 8 as a bad omen better than 7 too.

I've also been thinking that some extra-Ts could use a symbol closely resembling an infinity-symbol (or infinity symbol itself) to represent the endless circle and change of things in the universe. So it would be a positive, spiritual symbol.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
    I've been thinking that some ethnic groups or subspecies have hair. It's actually going to be a minor plot point (or a point in backstory) that Taimi has hair.

Also I like 8 as a bad omen better than 7 too.

I've also been thinking that some extra-Ts could use a symbol closely resembling an infinity-symbol (or infinity symbol itself) to represent the endless circle and change of things in the universe. So it would be a positive, spiritual symbol.

ohmigosh Ripu that's so cool

Hey, everyone! My friend announced that the concept art I asked her to do might get finished one of these days. That means the High Throne of Naajuné might be published sooner than I thought. Remember the lore I talked about in the autumn?
    well this is something I'm real proud of.

edited February 2018
    Hey everybody! I've just uploaded TWO new chapters (real reason: I finished them and want to put them up; reason I'll tell people: they take place simultaneously, one featuring Wendy and one featuring Kanto)

Anyway, enjoy! There's a lot of plot getting covered in these two chapters, so... hurrah!