Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 1 for purchase in Origin

2...Next

Comments

• XxIesjuhXxIesjuh Posts: 78 Member
    They really should make this a thing. Rollercoaster Tycoon is also available on Steam (and Age of Empires and all other kinds of older games) and these games sell like crazy.
  • OGmandyVOGmandyV Posts: 56 Member
    > @GoddessSims said:
    > You know we are nearing the 20 year mark for The Sims. It would be awesome if they released some sort of special edition as a celebration. Yet in the same token I wouldn't want to buy a game I already had just so it would work on my laptop. Especially seeing how it will play on my lap top.

I love this idea! I'm hoping a big deal is made out of the 20 year mark!
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited August 2017
    I tried to install it a couple years ago on a computer running Windows 7 and I could only get the base game to work. Once I installed all the expansions, it wouldn't open. There's a thread somewhere on here with tips on getting it to work with more modern computers, but the few things I tried didn't work.

FreeSO (Free Sims Online) has an online version of The Sims 1 that launched earlier this year. From what I've seen it looks almost exactly like the original Sims 1. The Sims look the same, the buy/build objects look about the same. I think it's multiplayer but if I understand correctly, they're working on getting the original TS disks to work on their FreeSO engine and also working on a single player mobile game that is basically The Sims 1 but for a tablet. I'm not sure exactly how it'll work, but it looks promising.

Unfortunately FreeSO is at end because EA have threatened legal action which would be too expensive to fight.

http://freeso.org/ts1-ios-port-cancelled/

Why don't EA employ these creative people instead of thumping them?
  • ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    I tried to install it a couple years ago on a computer running Windows 7 and I could only get the base game to work. Once I installed all the expansions, it wouldn't open. There's a thread somewhere on here with tips on getting it to work with more modern computers, but the few things I tried didn't work.

FreeSO (Free Sims Online) has an online version of The Sims 1 that launched earlier this year. From what I've seen it looks almost exactly like the original Sims 1. The Sims look the same, the buy/build objects look about the same. I think it's multiplayer but if I understand correctly, they're working on getting the original TS disks to work on their FreeSO engine and also working on a single player mobile game that is basically The Sims 1 but for a tablet. I'm not sure exactly how it'll work, but it looks promising.

Unfortunately FreeSO is at end because EA have threatened legal action which would be too expensive to fight.

I saw that a few days ago. That's so disappointing. I was really looking forward to it. I understand that EA doesn't want the competition for their new game, but I've tried The Sims Mobile and I think it appeals to an entirely different crowd than those who played The Sims 1. If EA would hire the people at FreeSO or at least come to some sort of agreement that would allow them to continue I think it would be a win/win situation for everyone, instead of trying to destroy their competition.
  • FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    I would even pay for it at this rate, i just want it. My discs won't work anymore.
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    You get to thinking, what is the use of buying a new PC or laptop if I cannot play the older games I love on them? I'll just stick with the one I have for a few more years. It will be the death of middle range laptops and only extreme gamers will have enough cash to buy the best gaming rig.

Why cannot OS builders accommodate old games somehow with a virtual disk mode or something like. They don't seem to come with disk drives as well these days and touchscreens that are ignored on most laptops in favour of mice or touchpads.

Rant over. >:)
  • EsperoEspero Posts: 5 New Member
    > @Mchap353 said:
    > ClassicalSim wrote: »
    >
    > I tried to install it a couple years ago on a computer running Windows 7 and I could only get the base game to work. Once I installed all the expansions, it wouldn't open. There's a thread somewhere on here with tips on getting it to work with more modern computers, but the few things I tried didn't work.
    >
    > FreeSO (Free Sims Online) has an online version of The Sims 1 that launched earlier this year. From what I've seen it looks almost exactly like the original Sims 1. The Sims look the same, the buy/build objects look about the same. I think it's multiplayer but if I understand correctly, they're working on getting the original TS disks to work on their FreeSO engine and also working on a single player mobile game that is basically The Sims 1 but for a tablet. I'm not sure exactly how it'll work, but it looks promising.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Unfortunately FreeSO is at end because EA have threatened legal action which would be too expensive to fight.
    >
    > http://freeso.org/ts1-ios-port-cancelled/
    >
    > Why don't EA employ these creative people instead of thumping them?

While EA doesn't want them to make a mobile version of TS1 they are fine with them running FreeSO so I am glad we can at least enjoy a multiplayer version of TS1 :smiley:
  • HarryJacko10HarryJacko10 Posts: 53 Member
    I would really love to have a copy of Sims 1 from Origin for free like they did with The Sims 2 UC! I do have the copies *(digital copies) but unfortunately It doesn't work since I have to register, but hopefully it happens one day!
    45175002624_2935fd76c6_b.jpg
  • MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited August 2017
    I guess I am lucky. I still have the plain base Sims 1 installation disk in its original packaging (of course it was called only "The Sims" -- and a dinosaur Windows XP computer to play it on-- if I were so inclined.

Actually I have a game in progress on one of those scrap-heap refugee machines but in booting that ancient version up-- I couldn't play it for very long.

But I remember "back in the day" it was the most fascinating thing to come along since the wheel.

(OK, OK I was also a great deal younger then.)

If memory serves, I bought the game disk through eBay a few years after they came out with "2". Even then people were shedding their Sims 1 baggage because 2 was markedly better than 1 in terms of its graphics at the very least.

I can't say authoritatively, I never played "2". Nor "3" for that matter.
  • alearq01alearq01 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello! I am selling The Sims 1 and other original SIMS, if you want it you can contact me :)
  • Adrian98765Adrian98765 Posts: 1 New Member
    I've just bought Sims 1 Deluxe Edition second hand 1 weeks ago. It's so much fun! And right when you try to do something..BOOM...visitors..You greet them and you can't even take a bath or stay on the toilet because they always come in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sims 1's so funny for a first timer lol
  • Rolosim85Rolosim85 Posts: 14 New Member
    To be honest I think the game has a lot of incompatibilities on modern computers. Until they figure out how to make it run on newer hardware and drivers without it crashing every 10 minutes, they probably won't make it digital.
  • canitbemancanitbeman Posts: 396 Member
    edited January 2018
    Rolosim85 wrote: »
    To be honest I think the game has a lot of incompatibilities on modern computers. Until they figure out how to make it run on newer hardware and drivers without it crashing every 10 minutes, they probably won't make it digital.
    TS1 ran fine for me on Windows 10, it never crashed.

in7xjb5WX7PIyv2bAPK9om-UpQ6lu50OmTOOMedFkabQlJ6WAblttI-YkjpbwbaMsZYP99rvrxYZYvusuoiZY9kgoOukGZu8miL-x4i5Vjt_4VS982WP32Goc22ldJNMZMCL6b2pKA=w2400
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

They are a huge corporation, beholden to the stock owners, and want 'all the world under one roof'. More profit/control that way. Still, wholly agree that it would be great if the game was made available to all. I'm one of the fortunate ones who still has all my disks from antiquity, so have been able to get it installed on an old XP machine where it runs fine. Lots of fun! More than TS4, actually.