Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Renovacy Challenge - a new (and short!) challenge.

Comments

• ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Tom has always been a big help around the house and with his younger siblings. Now that he’s graduated and could be making plans for his own future, Luke is more than pleased to see his right hand man working alongside him.

The teens need just as much guidance and attention as when they were younger, it seems!
    Letter 18
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I'd be singing the beers on the wall song @SamelaRita - 33 more blocks of quilting to go, 33 more blocks for the quilt. Cut one out. Hem it up. 32 more blocks of quilting to go.
    Congrats on getting more apple trees. I'd love some fruit trees.
    I did manage to dig my trench in the garden for burying my compost.
    We've had lot of rain, so the ground was perfectly moist and I helped it along by dumping more water into the trench, filling it up and letting it soak in, so I can dig some more.
  • SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    @ADWilson The quilt will be about 6 feet square when done, so big enough to go on my niece's single bed and hang down to hide the mess underneath it, but also big enough to go on a double bed when she's grown up enough to need one.
    The apple trees are Camelot - it's a cider/cooking apple, though I won't be making cider with it. But it's supposed to make good sauces too. The eating apples are Katya and Spartan: they ripen at different times, so hopefully we won't have a glut. Though to start with, we won't have many apples at all, because they're all young trees. I'll take a photo and post it.
    Chutney is a bit like a pickle, but sweeter. The one I'm making is apples, pears (we have a pear tree), raisins, onions, tomatoes, ginger, vinegar and brown sugar. There's a lot of chopping...
    @ciane I'm so impressed that you've composted - I tried doing it, but all I had was a bin full of dry brown bits, so I gave up. Plus, the garden is so small that even a compost bin is a significant addition. I think my husband could get keen on doing it very scientifically, but he hasn't got the time at the moment. I am counting down the blocks...I hadn't thought of singing about it though!
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn I've added a note about the money cheat problem on the main page under your renovacy details.
    Usually I have more organic "green" stuff than dry "brown" stuff to mix with it. But we trimmed the hedges way back this year and that gave me lots of dried leaves and twigs to add to the kitchen scraps. When the pile is too dry (NOT happening right now!!!), then I just add a bit of water from a rain tank nearby. Here in Texas, we usually have all the heat we need. (And that's your four elements - heat, water, brown, and green.)
    I don't have a compost bin. I've read that it's best to have it directly on the ground. And, that's the way my parents always did it. (The worms and bugs can work their magic better that way.) With enough brown stuff, animals won't bother it (supposedly); but just keep it covered.
    I'm really liking the idea of burying the compost right where I'll be planting my seeds in spring. It has all the water it needs right now and the ground will help heat it up too. All I have to do is break down my twigs and leaves in my little chipper (BUT it's turned to winter almost outside and that doesn't appeal to me right now!)
    Yes send pics of your cute new apple trees. I've heard it takes about three years to get that first crop from some.
    Good luck with your quilt. Only 32 more squares of quilting to do, only 32 more squares for the quilt. Cut one out. Hem it about. 31 more squares of quilting to do!
    Good Morning :)
    Lovely weather here (finally!) ... in the mid 60s this morning. Supposed to get up to 85 today and then back down to the 60s tonight. Working on a few long overdue chores around the house which means that things will soon get checked off on my to-do list. Yay! <3 organizing and clearing out when the weather is cooperative.

Before I step away from the computer, here is another chapter.

Say the "Write" Thing
    In this letter Tom says the right thing to two special ladies. Luke is thankful and fully supportive of what he's done.
    Letter 19
    @ADWilson Really liked that! I love the way Abigail's brothers support her. Still waiting to see how her story plays out...
    No simming here on my end, but there's only 22 blocks to go now, and I've started the next 11. My other niece is definitely going to have to wait 2 years to get her quilt (which is fair enough, as she's 2 years younger than her sister) - this has taken nearly all my sewing time this year, though I've enjoyed making it. But I have a few more projects in mind, including some clothes for me...
    Hope you have a good day :)
    @ciane What we're normally short of with compost is heat! And it doesn't help when I forget to water either...I'll photograph our apple twigs today and try and get the photos up. I underplanted them with primroses and little cyclamen last week, and this week I'm hoping to move a load of snowdrop bulbs into that bed as well.
    Your garden sounds like it's getting loads of tlc from you, and is going to be even lovelier next spring than it was this one. I really enjoy seeing stuff come up in the spring - I've put loads of bulbs in, and now I have to wait 4 months to see what will happen!
    You are making great progress on your squares! You've finished about another dozen since your last update. At this rate, you should be done in time for Christmas. Your other niece will have a hard time waiting for hers!

Yes, it is hard to wait for the new flowers to pop up. I was wonder if they will or not. Then I am pleasantly surprised when they pop their heads up and look around for the first time. :smiley:

I am so glad to see others still playing and writing chapters. I really do love a good story! Nice story so far, @ADWilson. I look forward to a nice happy ending for all.
    @SamelaRita
    Picking up where @ciane left off :)

music-notes-clipart-transparent-background-692327-4672632.png
    22 more blocks of quilting to go,
    22 more blocks for the quilt.
    Cut one out. Hem it up.
    21 more blocks of quilting to go.

Glad both of you enjoyed the chapter. Fingers crossed for a happy ending but no guarantees on a smooth ride because STUFF is happening in this game!! The things we notice while looking around town. To quote George Takei: Oh, My!
    Oh! I just remembered.
    The fully renovated home for the McPhail family was added to my studio, in case anybody is interested.
    No Longer a Phailure
    edited October 2018
    Liked the finished version of the house! It looked good - and a big improvement on its beginnings, but then that was the point of it really, I suppose ;)
    Had a sewing blitz yesterday and part of Monday, and I'm now about to start the last 11 blocks! The song obviously inspired my fingers...thanks @ciane and @ADWilson :D
    Post edited by SamelaRita on
    SamelaRita wrote: »
    Liked the finished version of the house! It looked good - and a big improvement on its beginnings, but then that was the point of it really, I suppose ;)

Thank YOU! This one is a good one for first time renovacy players, I think. The house has good bones and the couple are fun to play!
    SamelaRita wrote: »
    Had a sewing blitz yesterday and part of Monday, and I'm now about to start the last 11 blocks! The song obviously inspired my fingers...thanks @ciane and @ADWilson :D

Wow, what nimble fingers you have!! I forgot to ask you and @Kgaff if your quilts are machine stitched or if any work is done by hand. I can still remember being in 6th/7th grade and going to my friend's house. Her mom and grandmother were working on a quilt and it was hand-stitched. It was huge (probably Queen-sized) and took up most of the space in the room because it was on a frame. I recall looking underneath to admire the neat stitches & being envious because I have trouble sewing in a straight line.
    edited October 2018
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!! I have done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All 144 blocks are made !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll photograph it tomorrow in daylight and post a picture. Next stop is sewing it all together, but that's not such a huge task. I've got it all laid out and I keep looking at it to check that I'm okay with the layout, but I think that I am. Yeee-ha! :D:D:D:D
    Oh, @ADWilson , yes, it's all machine stitched, this one, though I did do a big hand-stitched one as well, and have a smaller hand-stitched one on the go that I just do in between other things, and will probably take a few years to finish, but that's fine because there's no deadline to it, it's just to use up some pretty leftover fabrics.
    Congratulations @SamelaRita !!!!!! Hearing of your accomplishment makes me happy!
    Looking forward to seeing a picture of your WIP :)
    "Write"-Side Out
    Wedding planning and a rocky romance has emotions feeling right-side out.
    ideas.jpg
    easel.jpg

Letter 20
    Great to have another chapter to read!

I hope your piecing together of all the pieces is going smoothly @SamelaRita!
    The "Write" Time

Some unsavory things have been learned and the family needs to figure out the right time to tell Abigail.
    thug2.jpg

Letter 21
    The "Write" Time continued
    Telling Abigail about Ethan is important, but so is the wedding. Luke decides this is the right time to share his ‘grand’ scheme with the others.
    Letter 21b

Please note the following:
    LOTS of reading ahead!
    21b … 21c … and 21d are included. Time to reveal the full hand that I’ve been holding.
    Oh, yes … you might want tissues. I got quite ‘misty-eyed’ while writing these!
    edited November 2018
    @ADWilson That was really moving...and I'm proud of Abigail for making the decision that she did! And for the reasons that she chose! Well done her - and I really liked the way you wrote it too. And is there a romance in the offing for Luke? Who knows? (apart fromn you, of course...).
    I've been sewing like mad and finally got all 144 squares made -
    [img][/img]Xa1YwG.jpg
    Then I sewed them up into strips of 12, carefully numbered the strips - and sewed the strips together in the wrong order despite the careful numbering!! :s Then I had to spend a lot of time unpicking and resewing -grrr! Can't believe I was so dumb!
    Next step is going to be edging the whole thing with a navy blue border, backing it, binding the edges and finally "quilting" it with random buttons from my past sewing. I'm hoping to finish it by the end of this week - and then I can sim again! And finish my story
    That is one gorgeous quilt! I really love the design and the way the corners have visible dark squares in the centers that you don't see so much on the inner diagonal.

And, yes!!! The end of next week! Too awesome! I do so hope your schedule goes as well as planned and you get to relax and sim and finish your story.
    @SamelaRita ~ What a STUNNING piece of practical artwork!!! I agree with @ciane about the design. The visible dark squares in the corners frame the lighter center quite nicely. May things go according to schedule without any further hiccups.

Looking forward to reading more of your story! After you relax (of course!) because you have more than earned some downtime.

Thank YOU! Glad you liked the letters. Luke wouldn't have done justice to what Abigail was going through so I had to add her voice to the story/journal. I was very teary-eyed while writing this and hope the emotions rang true for all involved.

As for the other bit you are questioning/asking about, I have an inkling of what I'd like to happen but sims will be sims so we shall see what comes to be and what doesn't!
    @ciane and @ADWilson Thank you both so much for the comments! The darker corners - there's a story behind those! I had some scraps left over from some pyjamas I'd made the other niece, that I really wanted to put into the quilt. But they were tiny scraps (pale blue gingham, with butterflies embroidered on them) and I couldn't use them on the outside edges of the squares - so I made the squares the other way round and worked out how to make a feature of of them. Necessity is the mother of invention...
    @SamelaRita ~ <3 when there is a story behind how something was done! Also love when meaningful fabric is used :) When I was in the check-out line at a local craft/fabric store on Saturday, I met a lady who is learning to quilt. Her husband passed away more than 10 years ago and she was ready to learn how to turn his old shirts into a quilt. Great idea!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top