Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eco Friendly Laundry Suggestions?

Comments

• Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    @Briana2425 i tough you would they are also perfect for single sims or young married couple before they raise a family

True
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    I just wanted to point out that wash tubs are not that eco friendly because they still use up clean water, even if you only use a natural detergent clothing dyes and materials are Highly damaging for the environment, the only way washing clothing can be eco friendly is if your sims are wearing one hundred percent organic materials and are using natural plant based dyes otherwise inevitably tiny fibers of plastic and toxins enter the water system.
    Sure you can pretend that your sims live in a hundred percent organic world if not for the fact some of the colors in and of themselves would be I won't say impossible with out synthetic dye but highly difficult.
    In our real world there is basically no fish left that don't have microscopic amounts of plastic in them because of our laundry washing since no matter how we try to get every thing out of our water before we dump it we can't get all of these fibers. It would only be worse from a wash bin that isn't cleaned up at all.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/20/microfibers-plastic-pollution-oceans-patagonia-synthetic-clothes-microbeads
    http://projectearth.us/the-plastic-fibers-in-your-clothes-are-piling-up-in-nat-1796423982
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/microplastics-fish-shellfish-1.3954947

And that is disregarding any chemical agents one is using to get their clothing clean.

There is nothing about laundry that is eco friendly don't kid yourselves.

Actually there's the grey water system that we been talking about it doesn't actually go in the sewage or "waste water." Its pipes that are collected in buckets underground treated now tell me exactly where does the grey water touches the waste water if it has its own piping and is going into the backyards. The only thing that's probably connected to the sewage is the toilet since it is performed to obtain our waste.
    So with that grey water are you holding it forever? Because that usually still goes out back into the environment (which you say into the back yards) at some point in time which still carries all the things I was mentioning before. And if your holding it forever you are just taking usable water out of the world, which also isn't good. Remember it doesn't need to be dumped tiny bits of tire worn out on roads is also making its way into the oceans/lake and rivers because of rain water carrying it. All of our planet is connected as soon as that water hits the open world you have done damage to the planet.

I'm not saying Laundry is bad or anything but it isn't eco friendly and pretending so is just lying to your selves this pack is no longer based around an eco friendly theme it is a domestic life theme I think it is better if people accept that fact, also I'm not saying get rid of the cloths line or wash bin they have great story telling uses my point is that this is no longer eco friendly.
    You can do things to reduce your impact but it will never be eco friendly.

Edi: also in my country we actually have some of the best sewage treatment it would be better if the water went through the sewage because then at least some of the pollutants are taken out. I know this isn't the same every where by why doesn't it not hitting sewage make it better? Grey water where I live is often collected in rain barrels or after washing in sinks or showers some of it (rain barrels) are used in yards but like the shower stuff often goes to the toilets because there is chemicals from soaps and washing things like shampoo in it so it does need treatmeant, but it is safe to use as a toilet before it goes.

Its watering the plants and vegetation now I really don't how a backyard can be connected to the streets and roadway line if the water is underground in our back yards but ok.

That's my point the plastic is still being put into the ecosystem. You are watering your plants with water that has pollutants in it from your clothing, it eventually gets carried into other water systems. Laundry isn't eco friendly because of the fact it wreaks water by filling it with pollutants like plastic and toxic dyes.

I never said they were connected I was saying rain water carries things away from where they are dumped on land and into water ways so it doesn't matter where it is dumped you impact the environment.
    edited June 2017
    I just wanted to point out that wash tubs are not that eco friendly because they still use up clean water, even if you only use a natural detergent clothing dyes and materials are Highly damaging for the environment, the only way washing clothing can be eco friendly is if your sims are wearing one hundred percent organic materials and are using natural plant based dyes otherwise inevitably tiny fibers of plastic and toxins enter the water system.
    Sure you can pretend that your sims live in a hundred percent organic world if not for the fact some of the colors in and of themselves would be I won't say impossible with out synthetic dye but highly difficult.
    In our real world there is basically no fish left that don't have microscopic amounts of plastic in them because of our laundry washing since no matter how we try to get every thing out of our water before we dump it we can't get all of these fibers. It would only be worse from a wash bin that isn't cleaned up at all.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/20/microfibers-plastic-pollution-oceans-patagonia-synthetic-clothes-microbeads
    http://projectearth.us/the-plastic-fibers-in-your-clothes-are-piling-up-in-nat-1796423982

And that is disregarding any chemical agents one is using to get their clothing clean.

Actually there's the grey water system that we been talking about it doesn't actually go in the sewage or "waste water." Its pipes that are collected in buckets underground treated now tell me exactly where does the grey water touches the waste water if it has its own piping and is going into the backyards. The only thing that's probably connected to the sewage is the toilet since it is performed to obtain our waste.
    So with that grey water are you holding it forever? Because that usually still goes out back into the environment (which you say into the back yards) at some point in time which still carries all the things I was mentioning before. And if your holding it forever you are just taking usable water out of the world, which also isn't good. Remember it doesn't need to be dumped tiny bits of tire worn out on roads is also making its way into the oceans/lake and rivers because of rain water carrying it. All of our planet is connected as soon as that water hits the open world you have done damage to the planet.

I'm not saying Laundry is bad or anything but it isn't eco friendly and pretending so is just lying to your selves this pack is no longer based around an eco friendly theme it is a domestic life theme I think it is better if people accept that fact, also I'm not saying get rid of the cloths line or wash bin they have great story telling uses my point is that this is no longer eco friendly.

Edi: also in my country we actually have some of the best sewage treatment it would be better if the water went through the sewage because then at least some of the pollutants are taken out. I know this isn't the same every where by why doesn't it not hitting sewage make it better? Grey water where I live is often collected in rain barrels or after washing in sinks or showers some of it (rain barrels) are used in yards but like the shower stuff often goes to the toilets because there is chemicals from soaps and washing things like shampoo in it so it does need treatmeant, but it is safe to use as a toilet before it goes.

Its watering the plants and vegetation now I really don't how a backyard can be connected to the streets and roadway line if the water is underground in our back yards but ok.

That's my point the plastic is still being put into the ecosystem. You are watering your plants with water that has pollutants in it from your clothing, it eventually gets carried into other water systems. Laundry isn't eco friendly because of the fact it wreaks water by filling it with pollutants like plastic and toxic dyes.

I never said they were connected I was saying rain water carries things away from where they are dumped on land and into water ways so it doesn't matter where it is dumped you impact the environment.

How does it gets carried from the plants to other water system? Also SageRainbowWillow already described how it would work. If you don't like the idea well that's on you.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member

Let's play Devil's Advocate here for a second. Do you never plan on washing your clothes? What about your sims? Supposing they are like us -and prefer to wear clean clothes - how would our sims make that process more Eco-friendly?
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member

You know what's not Eco-friendly? Breathing. Think of all that carbon! But seriously, if you want to drill down, EVERYTHING has an impact on the environment. Being Eco-friendly means you are conscious of it and you try to make changes that are at least a step in the right direction.

I live on a septic system. The drainfield in my backyard acts as a filtration system. By the time the water reaches the aquifer below, it's been filtered naturally. I do my best to use all natural products and get my well water tested annually.

My well water is essentially comprised of the aquifer, rain water, and my gray water. I have city water in my house, but all the spigots outside are well, which is what I use to water my crops. I have fig trees, tangerines, amaranth for making flour and grain dishes, and other fruits and veggies based on the season.

My washer, dishwasher, shower and sinks all go into my septic, which in turn, goes to the drainfield. Where I live, there is no option for city sewer.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/breathing-co2-carbon-dioxide.htm
    http://www.sciencefocus.com/qa/how-many-trees-are-needed-provide-enough-oxygen-one-person
    This is commenting on why saying breathing is a pollutant is wrong I give you the cliff notes all the carbon we put out is already accounted for by the plants because it basically all comes from plants, if there were absolutely no plant yes breathing would be bad but we would also be dead cause there would be no food. This argument doesn't work scientifically.

And no not everything has an impact on the environment there are natural cycles in place, we just don't want to give up are quality of life which what ever I don't really expect people to.

Laundry is on the scale of very bad for our planet though and so yes it is about taking steps to improve but laundry unless you are all natural in your clothing just is not eco friendly. That is why I recommend going for natural looking clothing to be eco friendly because that is where a big problem lies with laundry.

If that happens all of these other suggestions are great especially grey water.

So here's my suggestion make the clothing in this pack organic looking and look naturally dyed. Does that make people happier?
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i am sure @Briana2425 will agree with this say you are writing a story and the story you are writing required your sims to do laundry, and in the story you write that laundry needs to be done so every content in the game finds a use eventualy @BeJaWa no matter the brand or laudry product you used regular or unsented same go for lequid fabric softner the regular brands or bio brands we do not know the ingrediant the manufacturers use for said product.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    True, I have seen those those studies, however, with the deforestation and overpopulation continuing to rise, how long will it be before our own breathing contributes more to the world than there are plants to convert it? And don't even think about farting because...methane.

The natural cycles of the world work, in a perfect world. Even now, scientists have discovered there are bacteria that eat plastic and they are rapidly growing: https://www.google.com/amp/s/phys.org/news/2016-03-newly-bacteria-plastic-bottles.amp

(Fun fact: mealworms also eat plastic.)

There are plenty of people that consider global warming to be a false theory and see no reason to be Eco-friendly. Others still, try to have the leisures of modern life while reducing their perceived impact. And then there are those trying to hold their breath. This is something that no one will ever agree on 100%.

Eco-Living is a choice. For there to be a choice, there has to be something UN-Eco-Friendly in order to make that choice. What does this mean for a pixelated life simulator game? Well, you can hand wash and line dry your clothes, or use clunky, cheap un-Eco appliances.

And I like your idea of natural clothes, which is what they have tried to include in the pack. Among my amaranth plants, I have a variety called Hopi Red. It is an actual dye (Red Dye #2 to be exact). So, you could consider the new clothes to be natural fibers and dyes. I use the dye to make worsted wool yarn.

You know what's not Eco-friendly? Breathing. Think of all that carbon! But seriously, if you want to drill down, EVERYTHING has an impact on the environment. Being Eco-friendly means you are conscious of it and you try to make changes that are at least a step in the right direction.

I live on a septic system. The drainfield in my backyard acts as a filtration system. By the time the water reaches the aquifer below, it's been filtered naturally. I do my best to use all natural products and get my well water tested annually.

My well water is essentially comprised of the aquifer, rain water, and my gray water. I have city water in my house, but all the spigots outside are well, which is what I use to water my crops. I have fig trees, tangerines, amaranth for making flour and grain dishes, and other fruits and veggies based on the season.

My washer, dishwasher, shower and sinks all go into my septic, which in turn, goes to the drainfield. Where I live, there is no option for city sewer.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/breathing-co2-carbon-dioxide.htm
    http://www.sciencefocus.com/qa/how-many-trees-are-needed-provide-enough-oxygen-one-person
    This is commenting on why saying breathing is a pollutant is wrong I give you the cliff notes all the carbon we put out is already accounted for by the plants because it basically all comes from plants, if there were absolutely no plant yes breathing would be bad but we would also be dead cause there would be no food. This argument doesn't work scientifically.

And no not everything has an impact on the environment there are natural cycles in place, we just don't want to give up are quality of life which what ever I don't really expect people to.

Laundry is on the scale of very bad for our planet though and so yes it is about taking steps to improve but laundry unless you are all natural in your clothing just is not eco friendly. That is why I recommend going for natural looking clothing to be eco friendly because that is where a big problem lies with laundry.

If that happens all of these other suggestions are great especially grey water.

So here's my suggestion make the clothing in this pack organic looking and look naturally dyed. Does that make people happier?[/quote/]

Like I said its your choice and your opinion. I personally believe its a good way.

@friendlysimmers yeah that's good.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Back to laundry ideas for this pack please. :)
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Dryer balls.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• IgneousGeldingIgneousGelding Posts: 393 Member

Umm, don't plants take in that carbon dioxide to produce oxygen?
    Origin ID: graple2001
    I build things and sometimes share them. I'm not hogging, I'm just slow. I've recently wiped my gallery, so there might not be stuff up for a while.tumblr_nabmnaWdl21s7ujplo1_500.gif
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2017

Umm, don't plants take in that carbon dioxide to produce oxygen?

YES. Plants and trees do.

Here is an eco friendly alternative - http://www.laundry-alternative.com/product-category/washing/
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

And the more the world builds up = less plants. My point entirely.

edited June 2017

Depends on where you are. Not many people here in Maine but tons of trees. We have a rule - you chop down 1 tree and have to plant 10 in their place. LOL.

Here's some legit stats -

About 90 percent of Maine is forested, the highest percentage of any state. This includes some 12 million acres in the northern part of Maine where few people live.
    Forests for Maine's Future - Forest Facts
    www.forestsformainesfuture.org/forest-facts/

Which state has the most forest land?

Maine: 89%
    New Hampshire: 77.5%
    West Virginia: 77.2%
    Vermont: 75.7%
    Alabama: 70.6%
    Georgia: 64.2%
    South Carolina: 63.8%
    Mississippi: 61.9%

How much of the United States is covered by forest?
    In 1997, 302 million hectares— or 33 percent of the total land area of the United States— was in forest land. Today's forest land area amounts to about 70 percent of the area that was forested in 1630. Since 1630, about 120 million hectares of forest land have been converted to other uses—mainly agricultural.
    US Forest Facts and Historical Trends US Forest Facts and Historical ...
    https://www.fia.fs.fed.us/library/ForestFactsMetric.pdf

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• ayyitsmellayyitsmell Posts: 434 Member
    I like this thread! Even if laundry wasn't your top choice, we should still come up with eco-friendly options for the pack (regarding laundry). I wrote a really long comment on the "Stuff Pack gameplay feature vote results!" thread about what I thought about the result and included some suggestions for the new pack. I wrote:

" I love that we have the option to do laundry now but I just hope its not too much of a mess since I'm a neat freak and I hate when my sims tell me something is blocking their path. Some ideas for this feature to still make it eco-friendly could be the different types of detergents used, maybe some organic ones? I hope we get a bit of humor thrown in there for clumsy sims, like discolored shirts, soap overflowing, accidentally dropping their phone in there, etc. Maybe certain laundry scents change the mood for sims (or maybe just the neat ones). Maybe slobs have the option to reuse their dirty laundry, with an animation of them picking it up from a dirty piles or hampers and smelling it LOL. If they have penny pixies as a lot trait or klepto as a personality trait, they can probably find items or money in their pockets (or in other people's laundry). "

I also like the grey water idea because I was one of those people who kept writing on the threads about sustainable construction, which includes water systems, solar panels, roof gardens, and etc. Grey water is basically not using potable water for things that do not need it. It is using waste water for baths, sinks, toilets, etc. It can definitely be used for washing machines or wash tubs. It is not dirty however. It goes through several filters/septic systems to clean out most of the unwanted stuff. (if we had the water systems from the off the grid option, it would make more sense). From what I remember when I studied about it, is that it has not come into contact with any human waste. I'll have to research again to remember.
    Ayy It's Mell ♥

• IgneousGeldingIgneousGelding Posts: 393 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Depends on where you are. Not many people here in Maine but tons of trees. We have a rule - you chop down 1 tree and have to plant 10 in their place. LOL.

About 90 percent of Maine is forested, the highest percentage of any state. This includes some 12 million acres in the northern part of Maine where few people live.

In 1997, 302 million hectares— or 33 percent of the total land area of the United States— was in forest land. Today's forest land area amounts to about 70 percent of the area that was forested in 1630. Since 1630, about 120 million hectares of forest land have been converted to other uses—mainly agricultural.

Oh boy, now I wanna visit Maine. It sounds lovely.

The more the world builds up oxygen or the more the world builds up carbon dioxide? I don't understand. To be honest, if you're concerned with a growing population (if that's what you meant)+ the chopping down of trees, there's always adoption. Not to mention that other animals breathe too, so if you wanted to get rid of all that carbon you could just eliminate the animals. But if you eliminate the animals, plants and trees would probably die out. So yeah, breathing doesn't really count, because we arent the only species that does it (even plants "breathe.") But we are the only species that's currently known to wear clothing and then wash it in a special machine. That's why it's different.

Origin ID: graple2001
    I build things and sometimes share them. I'm not hogging, I'm just slow. I've recently wiped my gallery, so there might not be stuff up for a while.tumblr_nabmnaWdl21s7ujplo1_500.gif
  • misschristine14misschristine14 Posts: 118 Member
    Great thread! I looked online for green methods for doing laundry to incorporate the eco-friendly living theme.

-Vinegar used for softeners
    -Plant/Vegetable based ingredients for detergents to replace harsh chemicals.
    -DIY detergents (maybe with the things that we harvest)
    -Pedal washers (do exercise while doing laundry)
    edited June 2017
    Great thread! I looked online for green methods for doing laundry to incorporate the eco-friendly living theme.

http://www.grabgreenhome.com/3-in-1-lavender-with-vanilla-laundry-detergent/

A lot of people around here buy this product a few of our local stores also sell it and other cleaning products along the same line. It's actually cheaper in the store than online from my experience. We have an eco friendly laundromat and this is also sold there if you want to wash your own clothes or they will wash it for you. Washers are not allowed in the eco village - yet anyway.

Vinegar is great for cleaning windows, mirrors, and more as well.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• ayyitsmellayyitsmell Posts: 434 Member
    Also, I forgot to mention something else that came to mind: I remember watching the documentary "No Impact Man". His methods for living were a bit extreme. But I remember the way that he did laundry. He was living in an apartment with his family, and he put the laundry in the bathtub, had his whole family get inside and stomp on all the clothes (The stomping method). Don't know if sims will do this but it could be an option if we aren't allowed to add laundry/dryer to apartment buildings or if we don't want to add the machines. It could be another option besides the washtub, which is hand-washing if I'm not mistaken?
    Ayy It's Mell ♥

edited June 2017
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Oh boy, now I wanna visit Maine. It sounds lovely.

The more the world builds up oxygen or the more the world builds up carbon dioxide? I don't understand. To be honest, if you're concerned with a growing population (if that's what you meant)+ the chopping down of trees, there's always adoption. Not to mention that other animals breathe too, so if you wanted to get rid of all that carbon you could just eliminate the animals. But if you eliminate the animals, plants and trees would probably die out. So yeah, breathing doesn't really count, because we arent the only species that does it (even plants "breathe.") But we are the only species that's currently known to wear clothing and then wash it in a special machine. That's why it's different.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Kennebunkport_Dock_Square.jpg&imgrefurl=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennebunkport,_Maine&h=768&w=1024&tbnid=XYymRwl5YaqSGM:&tbnh=160&tbnw=213&usg=__ZZSex7aGEWpkuvhdfp8MOmVKxIQ=&vet=10ahUKEwiFn77_y-HUAhWLNT4KHe-oCdYQ_B0IygEwGQ..i&docid=sJi_FGZbSCog_M&itg=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFn77_y-HUAhWLNT4KHe-oCdYQ_B0IygEwGQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kennebunkport+on+the+ocean+pictures&tbm=isch&imgil=u_7CF64o-CEu4M%3A%3BLIy0rgZQrVEyIM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.tripadvisor.com%252FLocationPhotos-g40694-Kennebunkport_Kennebunks_Maine.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=u_7CF64o-CEu4M%3A%2CLIy0rgZQrVEyIM%2C_&usg=__dBagAjyLU8HoRAjKjDDW9d0PHDc=&biw=1796&bih=959&ved=0ahUKEwiajY3lzOHUAhXEyT4KHctIDJcQyjcIPQ&ei=KS9UWdrUH8ST-wHLkbG4CQ#imgrc=_
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

Exactly you get it that's why I think the diy detergent is good for Some and it can finally have use for the flowers instead of trying to make it that huge painting.

Pedal washers do you have a pic?
    ayyitsmell wrote: »
    Also, I forgot to mention something else that came to mind: I remember watching the documentary "No Impact Man". His methods for living were a bit extreme. But I remember the way that he did laundry. He was living in an apartment with his family, and he put the laundry in the bathtub, had his whole family get inside and stomp on all the clothes (The stomping method). Don't know if sims will do this but it could be an option if we aren't allowed to add laundry/dryer to apartment buildings or if we don't want to add the machines. It could be another option besides the washtub, which is hand-washing if I'm not mistaken?

Haha I remember washing clothes in bathtub when the washer and dryer had broken but I didn't stomp on lol but alright sounds fun though.