Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Including Laundry as a potential SP concept for us to vote for was a mistake

Comments

• Options
    Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member
    OP is on point. I wish all concepts would've also been new. Now, we're stuck with a concept we are already familiarized with and could've gotten in another pack. I really wanted off the grid. Dangit.
    ▼add/follow▼
    ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
    ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
    ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
    ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    Nomiko13 wrote: »
    OP is on point. I wish all concepts would've also been new. Now, we're stuck with a concept we are already familiarized with and could've gotten in another pack. I really wanted off the grid. Dangit.

Honestly, most of that we could have in a better form if its done in a GP or an EP. We should probably let the laundry folks have their machines with a few options and beg for all of the other three and then some to be in a bigger pack

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/920686/off-the-grid-gamepack-petition-1-signature
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    heatherXkittyheatherXkitty Posts: 307 Member
    I agree with op. The devs knew from the start of this whole process that this would be a laundry pack.

Vote 1: They listed laundry in the description of the theme.
    Vote 2: Both concepts were of a laundry/mudroom.
    Vote 3: Several of the objects/furniture fit very well with a laundry theme.

I just don't understand why they bothered calling this an eco theme when it was clear from the start and throughout the whole process that it was a laundry pack.
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200
  • Options
    DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    I agree with op. The devs knew from the start of this whole process that this would be a laundry pack.

I just don't understand why they bothered calling this an eco theme when it was clear from the start and throughout the whole process that it was a laundry pack.

Because the Eco part added more votes, laundry alone couldn't carry it. It was the only theme that essentially had two completely different ideas. They new people wanted laundry, they also knew that Eco living would get votes, by combining two seperately ideas, that one theme alone was stacked. The other four themes divided the rest of the voting to give Eco Living a solid advantage.
    I think where they miscalculated was in the fact that people who voted for the theme of Eco we're passionate and had really great ideas. The success of this for EA was that the side who wanted the Eco theme were divided on what Eco means. Pit the different ideas against each other for the game play vote and laundry wins.
  • Options
    CupcakeWitchCupcakeWitch Posts: 542 Member
    edited June 2017
    I am disappointed that laundry was a choice too..
    I wanted this pack to stick to the theme of eco-living. Laundry should have been its own pack. Laundry I feel would be better developed in its own pack with deco and furniture to fit around it. Rather than being in an eco-living pack.

IMO, it's gonna feel like the movie hangout pack. I liked the pack (the fashion and popcorn), but it didn't feel like cinema to me. Just bohemian style with movies tacked on.
    I mean, I know laundry doesn't have a set style and eco-style clothing could go with it but since it's an Eco-style pack...

Also, I'm not against laundry, I would buy a laundry pack but I would be disappointed if an eco-Living/style pack centered around laundry, hopefully it'll all work out

Edit: found out the winner lol
    tumblr_m5yfcmiKZM1r6uev5.gif

• Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member

Because the Eco part added more votes, laundry alone couldn't carry it. It was the only theme that essentially had two completely different ideas. They new people wanted laundry, they also knew that Eco living would get votes, by combining two seperately ideas, that one theme alone was stacked. The other four themes divided the rest of the voting to give Eco Living a solid advantage.
    I think where they miscalculated was in the fact that people who voted for the theme of Eco we're passionate and had really great ideas. The success of this for EA was that the side who wanted the Eco theme were divided on what Eco means. Pit the different ideas against each other for the game play vote and laundry wins.

Haha I have that exact same impression.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    OP was on point!

Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    I am disappointed that laundry was a choice too..
    I wanted this pack to stick to the theme of eco-living. Laundry should have been its own pack. Laundry I feel would be better developed in its own pack with deco and furniture to fit around it. Rather than being in an eco-living pack.

IMO, it's gonna feel like the movie hangout pack. I liked the pack (the fashion and popcorn), but it didn't feel like cinema to me. Just bohemian style with movies tacked on.
    I mean, I know laundry doesn't have a set style and eco-style clothing could go with it but since it's an Eco-style pack...

Also, I'm not against laundry, I would buy a laundry pack but I would be disappointed if an eco-Living/style pack centered around laundry, hopefully it'll all work out

Edit: found out the winner lol

Since you found out the winner you should sign my petition to make another winner out of a gamepack!!
    Click on the textylink in my signature :) I'M ON A MISSION. THIS is why I was born.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member
    OP was on point!

Honestly, a lot of times OP is on point.
    ▼add/follow▼
    ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
    ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
    ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
    ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Well the way I see it, Graham decided to offer us laundry (due to popular demand since the start of TS4), and used this very interesting experiment as a vehicle to wrap it in, to keep the interest of people beyond those who actually want laundry. It's all good, and we all *still* have the option not to buy the pack if it doesn't interest us.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    At this point, I think discussions like this have caused more drama than the actual decision to include Laundry. It's helping to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

And people say EA is manipulative...
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    At this point, I think discussions like this have caused more drama than the actual decision to include Laundry. It's helping to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

@Triplis: Who is being manipulative? I can totally see where @DeservedCriticism was coming from. Laundry should have been completely excluded from this project. The community has the opportunity to vote on completely new ideas, things that we've never seen before in The Sims, yet as soon as you put in the vote something that is heavily requested; it skews the poll. Heck, if I was petitioning for laundry and desperately wanting it, as soon as I see laundry, I'm pressing that vote button; everything else becomes clouded and I don't see anything else!

The petitions, the asks, the demand, the feedback for laundry should have been left to speak for themselves just as the toddler thread was. Like I said, many have been wanting laundry and as soon as they see it, nothing else matters! I agree as well with the person who said that if laundry had been under Starter Home...that probably would have won the vote.

Many say they want new ideas for The Sims, yet when it comes down to it and there is actually a choice, a previous feature wins! It boggles my mind!
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    I like how once once Laundry wins it, twice now I've been accused of being the cause of it via a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Does no one remember that Dangerous stuff was doing really well here on the forums but ultimately lagged behind in the final results due to those who voted solely on twitter...? I have my doubts that somehow suddenly the twitter votes aren't the vast majority and that one thread had THAT much influence. That just sounds ridiculously absurd, especially since an argument could be made that such a thread could inspire people to vote against laundry too.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited June 2017
    aricarai wrote: »

Many say they want new ideas for The Sims, yet when it comes down to it and there is actually a choice, a previous feature wins! It boggles my mind!

Overall, I don't think it ruined the experience or was a mistake because there is a majority getting what they asked for which, in my eyes, is a positive outcome even though what I wanted didn't win. I think with any decision there has to be costs and benefits and it seems the benefits of doing the survey is that a majority of players now have the satisfaction of having something they want being added to the game. I guess another benefit is that we now know for sure that familiar concepts hold more weight against new ones. They could have had a survery with only new ideas, but then people might have complained that there was no familiar gameplay and Graham did say that there was never a guarantee that what was included in the survey would be included in the game later on. I think either way there were going to be, to say it nicely, 'losers' (which I am one of, lol).

I think it's going to be like this for the series moving forward. A constant toing and froing between new ideas and old ones. After all, there's only so much that can fit in 5~ years development (potentially longer for S4).I do think that a game with 17+ years of development history and nostalgia amongst its players will make it harder to balance old and new ideas, especially when people develop expectations about what counts as the 'fundamentals' of the game and become essential to The Sims experience.
    Does no one remember that Dangerous stuff was doing really well here on the forums but ultimately lagged behind in the final results due to those who voted solely on twitter...? I have my doubts that somehow suddenly the twitter votes aren't the vast majority and that one thread had THAT much influence. That just sounds ridiculously absurd, especially since an argument could be made that such a thread could inspire people to vote against laundry too.

I don't remember this? Were the gurus able to determine where the votes were submitted from?

• Options
    edited June 2017

I don't remember this? Were the gurus able to determine where the votes were submitted from?

As I remember it, basically if you browsed the forum threads you'd see quite a lot of Dangerous stuff votes, but then when the results came out it was in the bottom 3. Someone commented they found that odd since Dangerous stuff was so frequently mentioned and I think Drake commented we need to remember that the majority of votes come from twitter. Confirm they came from twitter? Perhaps not, but if the results from the forums don't match the end results, then twitter votes are gonna be the difference.

This is going off memory so I may have a detail or two a bit off, but the main takeaway is that these forums are a minority compared to the people that vote through twitter.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Here is the original tweet from September 6, 2016 where Graham states he personally wants a Laundry SP (he would "love love love" one, that's an important detail) and insists that for such a pack to become reality the community would have to 'make some noise' otherwise it's not likely to happen (last part isn't explicitly said but it's alluded to by the 'make some noise')

There wasn't a huge influx of laundry threads after that, so it would seem Graham + his team decided on laundry for the DIY pack after he already promoted the content, and challenged players to 'make some noise' to get it in the pipeline. From my perspective this has been an elaborate process to get that particular content in game. There were plenty of themes that he didn't promote via his official twitter account, namely any and all of the other survey options. Laundry isn't an eco-friendly action, it being lumped in that category was a dead giveaway for me that this was a DIY laundry SP. The object's being laundry themed before laundry won the gameplay vote was another dead giveaway that laundry was the projected winner from the beginning. If 'off the grid' actually had a chance of winning, then why would they want laundry themed decoration?
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I agree with you OP. I think laundry was going to come eventually anyway. I think it's kind of boring we got that as a choice. I feel like people didn't even read what the other options were about, they just saw laundry and voted.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited June 2017
    @drake_mccarty
    And just one week before, he also said he'd love to make something similar to Nectar Making/Juice Brewing ;)

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited June 2017
    Neia wrote: »
    @drake_mccarty
    And just one week before, he also said he'd love to make something similar to Nectar Making/Juice Brewing ;)

Oh hey girl good catch, I don't see him telling players to make noise for that though, which is kind of the central component of my post. I'm sure there's lots of things Graham loves, however laundry is one he explicitly promoted to eager fans to 'make noise' for to get in the pipeline.

"I'd love a nectar pack" and "I'd love love love a laundry pack, make some noise for it!" Are two completely different responses with two completely different meanings. One is a general nice idea, the other is more of a call to action.

Just an observation on my part though. Others may disagree.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I don't even see why this is a discussion. By the time this project was announced, Laundry already had it's own thread and mini hype train. Nectarmaking didn't. Laundry had hype built up for it, none of the other topics did. Is it possible nectar making could've gotten a similar hype train of Graham's tweet there? Yes, but it didn't. We had multiple months to acknowledge that it didn't and multiple months to acknowledge that laundry did. That's been my point: I feel the Sims team had a lapse in judgement where they should've been able to see laundry already had enough support to warrant it's own stuff pack being made. By not doing that and sticking it in this poll, all it did was sink the chances of the other candidates. As things stand, they're working on some stuff pack that cannot possibly have as much hype behind it as laundry (aka something out of left field that few people have expressed a desire for) while we vote to have laundry. Alternatively we could've just gotten laundry in case of a less popular SP, and then some idea like Off The Grid, Starter Home stuff or Dangerous Stuff would've been voted in. The latter does a better job at both pleasing consumers and getting less slanted data regarding feedback of the various new ideas.

And as I've mentioned, this is not my first thread on the topic. The moment this project was announced, I predicted laundry would win for the exact same reasons. It wasn't exactly a difficult prediction to make. Fast forward, and laundry indeed won. Why? I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that the hype train it already had going, as well as the advantage of being an established idea where people know precisely what to expect, have led to this outcome.

I don't even know why we're still discussing this. I mean I cannot definitively prove this to be the case, but I don't think it's hard to see the rationale behind it, and it's clear a good chunk of the people in this thread agree with that rationale 100%. At the very least, it's clear that if this project were to be redone in the future...? Yes, it would PROBABLY be a good idea to avoid pre-existing concepts due to their potential to more or less "ruin" any kind of vote or data regarding feedback on various new ideas. What harm does it do to follow that rule as a precaution...?

And quite frankly, the fact two people have insinuated I bear responsibility for this outcome is nothing short of ridiculous, nor do I understand the motivations behind making such an accusation. What's that supposed to accomplish...? Man if I had that kind of influence, I'd use it to make all kinds of changes to Sims 4 and it's future. I don't though, so no, I don't see how I hold "blame" for laundry winning.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I like how once once Laundry wins it, twice now I've been accused of being the cause of it via a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Like I actually think you have that much power of influence. I meant the reaction to Laundry winning and drama surrounding it (and note that I said "helping to create," not the sole cause). I don't believe that your thread had any impact on the vote itself.
  • Options
    aricarai wrote: »

@Triplis: Who is being manipulative? I can totally see where @DeservedCriticism was coming from. Laundry should have been completely excluded from this project. The community has the opportunity to vote on completely new ideas, things that we've never seen before in The Sims, yet as soon as you put in the vote something that is heavily requested; it skews the poll. Heck, if I was petitioning for laundry and desperately wanting it, as soon as I see laundry, I'm pressing that vote button; everything else becomes clouded and I don't see anything else!

The petitions, the asks, the demand, the feedback for laundry should have been left to speak for themselves just as the toddler thread was. Like I said, many have been wanting laundry and as soon as they see it, nothing else matters! I agree as well with the person who said that if laundry had been under Starter Home...that probably would have won the vote.

Intentional or no, it's pretty clear that DC's thread is contributing to a line of thinking perpetuated by some that the process is inherently flawed and was doomed from the start. I recall him making a similar thread to this one even earlier in the process, too. If it's not intentionally manipulative, it sure is an accidentally self-fulfilling prophecy in helping to bring about negative reactions to the process (but I mean, why not accuse it of being intentionally manipulative? I have as much evidence for such an accusation as some of the accusations being thrown EA's way about the process... sometimes I just like making a point by holding up a mirror).

His threads are nothing close to the entirety of what's motivating people to react in the way they are, but this particular thread is certainly working as a nice little campfire for people to fan the flames, now that they're annoyed about Laundry winning. The process isn't even over and there are people already talking like the whole thing was a failure in retrospect. It's ridiculous.

People wonder why development is kept close to the chest, well there's one reason for you. The process isn't even finished and some are already pedaling portents of doom and gloom.
  • Options
    Like I actually think you have that much power of influence. I meant the reaction to Laundry winning and drama surrounding it (and note that I said "helping to create," not the sole cause). I don't believe that your thread had any impact on the vote itself.

So what's this:

Everyone is manipulative??

You're accusing me of being manipulative for voicing a concern. It baffles me that you never seem to consider maybe I'm legitimately concerned about this. It also baffles me that in your next post you paint this picture like I'm manipulative for convincing people this is something to be mindful of. Have you considered maybe people are convinced because I raised a good point?

I don't even know what to say beyond "wow." It's like you're twisting the situation to shine on me in a negative way, regardless of what the situation is. It's not "he made a good point," it's "he manipulated THOSE POOR INNOCENT PEOPLE who obviously cannot form opinions for themselves based on arguments made!" It's not "DC is concerned laundry is going to skew the process and feedback on new ideas," it's "DC is trying to manipulate people because all he ever does is twirl his moustache and kick puppies."

Your post honestly bothers me because it makes it clear regardless of what I do, you're gonna spin it so I'm the villain. It shows bias, it shows incredible mental gymnastics, and it's even in denial of my own statements. I have posts several pages back where I openly state I do NOT think this ruins the project in it's entirety since it's prime goal was to just provide some transparency of the process, but I do think it's sadly skewed feedback on the newer ideas. The people who voted laundry effectively "didn't vote" or provide feedback on these new ideas. For all we know Preserve Jaws might've beaten Off the Grid without laundry's presence (as those laundry fans are forced to pick something else), or the ordering of the initial ideas might look different, and that's a bit of a problem.

I likewise stated I do not think this was an intentional sabotage, just poor judgement. Despite this, others accuse EA of sabotaging the project. You got a problem with that? Talk to those people.

It's just incredible to me that I made an accurate prediction, and in response you need to insinuate I'm manipulative...? In what world do you live in that this is deemed acceptable behavior?!
  • Options
    I guess in your rush to defend yourself you missed this part:
    If it's not intentionally manipulative, it sure is an accidentally self-fulfilling prophecy in helping to bring about negative reactions to the process (but I mean, why not accuse it of being intentionally manipulative? I have as much evidence for such an accusation as some of the accusations being thrown EA's way about the process... sometimes I just like making a point by holding up a mirror).
    But, sure, as usual, you're the victim. It couldn't be that I'm making a point bigger than your ego.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    It's just incredible to me that I made an accurate prediction, and in response you need to insinuate I'm manipulative...? In what world do you live in that this is deemed acceptable behavior?!
    By the way, this is especially disingenuous (but I get it, you want to make sure everyone knows that you're the victim and I'm being mean). You did more than make a prediction. You made more than one thread calling the entire process into question. Again, as I said before: "Nothing close to the entirety of what's motivating people to react in the way they are, but this particular thread is certainly working as a nice little campfire for people to fan the flames, now that they're annoyed about Laundry winning."

If you aren't even aware of the extent of what your own threads say, I don't know what to tell you.
    Have you considered maybe people are convinced because I raised a good point?
    Mostly, some people are just mad that what they wanted to win didn't win.