Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The thing about Laundry:

I've seen a few people say things like "why would you want Laundry? It's just another boring chore, I could do it in real life!"

Well yeah.. it IS a boring chore that you do in real life. The sims is a LIFE SIMULATOR.

I want more stuff for my sims to do besides hobbies, there's a lot of partying. I remember in sims 2 if you didn't pick up your messes it could actually KILL Your sim.

I want more stuff to do for my stay at home moms and dads too. Parenthood actually did amazing in that aspect, my mother never had a second to herself when they were babies-children. Messes all the time! But once they were teens it was a lot easier and I can't really justify her being a stay at home mom anymore because she doesn't really do anything.

More boring chores makes me happy, I want to clean up dishes, pick up dirty diapers off the floor, pick up empty baby bottles etc like in sims 2! Sims 2 was so much fun to have a stay at home parent because there was always stuff to do.
e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png

Comments

• SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    If laundry or canning win, I'll be happy. The other stuff sounds boring as dirt... literally lol.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I honestly voted cause it's fun. But the game doesn't come out till 2018 so whatever lol, by that time we are gonna have like 30 SPs
    21mbz47.jpg
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I agree with you for once!
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    More and more, I think "The Sims 4: Household Drudgery Game Pack" would be a big seller. ;)

And I'm not being (entirely) facetious there - I actually do miss things like having to make beds, having to pick up stuff from the floor, etc. I'm not sure that laundry, in and of itself, is exactly what I'm looking for to fill that gap, but despite voting for something else for THIS pack I'd certainly be fine with having it back in the game.
  • lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited June 2017
    I agree. Chores are usually boring in real life, but I find them fun in The Sims. I loved to make my sims do laundry in TS3. And having laundry makes the game more realistic (I don't remember ever seeing a house without a washing machine before, I'm not sure about the US, but in my country it's not common not to have one) and I like my sims to have more chores to do. Currently I have to use CC laundry objects to make my houses more realistic but I really want my laundry rooms to have a purpose and not be just decorative.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    well doing chores in the game is more useful then useless partys or the other things i find laundry in the game more important than the other things mention in the poll not everyone plays the sims4 the same for a player like me i find laundry more important for the main reason that i clearly do not do partys and i do not even use the slob trait i prefer the neat trait just like i made the choice to keep aging fully off. and also the option of washers and dryers would make sims houses more complete.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • HelenaWiktoriaHelenaWiktoria Posts: 148 Member
    If we speak about being boring or not, honestly, you could say the Sims is pretty boring game itself ;) That's a thought I often have when people discuss different stuff packs. Because basically the whole game is just the same animations over and over again. It's very subjective what is considered as fun gameplay or not. Of course I understand that some features can be boring for someone, I find some things rather boring myself. But still, I don't think it's really an argument.
    And about the laundry, for me it's just not the best choice for this particular SP (and I saw quite a lot of people saying that).
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    well doing chores in the game is more useful then useless partys or the other things i find laundry in the game more important than the other things mention in the poll not everyone plays the sims4 the same for a player like me i find laundry more important for the main reason that i clearly do not do partys and i do not even use the slob trait i prefer the neat trait just like i made the choice to keep aging fully off. and also the option of washers and dryers would make sims houses more complete.

My sims do many different things - raise families, do housework, have jobs, go to parties, drain the plasma of the weak and unobservant, take vacations...I'm in favor of any addition that expands the scope of activities in any area, not JUST for the home or JUST for the bar or JUST for the moldering crypt. But some are always going to be more appealing than others to different people.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I want the people who want laundry to get what they're hoping for one way or another, but if I'm being honest with myself, on description alone, it just doesn't sound like something that appeals to me. It would add an extra note of realism, that's for sure. But I'm not big on the "for simulation" end of things. I think if it was a spectrum between "for strategic gameplay" on the one end and "for simulation" on the other, I'd fall closer to the "for strategic gameplay" end of the spectrum.

If a home drudgery feature set came with enough detail that there was a whole player-role just in the strategy of maintaining a home, I could get behind that. Kinda like how toddlers as a life stage come with a whole player-role just in taking care of the toddler. But just laundry wouldn't be enough to draw me in, in that "filling a role" sense of things.

I ended up voting for the off the grid option in part because it seems to me like a bite-sized enough concept that it could open up new role options, despite the small size of the pack. Whereas, in my mind, it seems like laundry is just one component of a larger kind of gameplay, which fits with how you describe it as playing the role of the stay at home mom or dad.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    My only thing against laundry in general for now is that there's no really any consequences to it. Sims 2 had our sims killed by dirty, I love that, but in Sims 4 sounds like laundry equals moodlets. You click, they do it, you get a moodlet in the end - repeating incessantly. I do get the pleasure from doing it just for the sake of simulation but when it comes to the time to choose it I will always prefer the options where I can have both simulation and fun.

From that concept of how laundry would be I got two mutually excludent conclusions. One, doing laundry in game is way too simplistic, or two, they didn't do justice in the text for any systems of getting clothes dirty, hygiene and such.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    My only thing against laundry in general for now is that there's no really any consequences to it. Sims 2 had our sims killed by dirty, I love that, but in Sims 4 sounds like laundry equals moodlets. You click, they do it, you get a moodlet in the end - repeating incessantly. I do get the pleasure from doing it just for the sake of simulation but when it comes to the time to choose it I will always prefer the options where I can have both simulation and fun.

From that concept of how laundry would be I got two mutually excludent conclusions. One, doing laundry in game is way too simplistic, or two, they didn't do justice in the text for any systems of getting clothes dirty, hygiene and such.

And that's exactly why it's an SP option. There's no depth to it. It adds nothing to the game. It's just busy work. The other options should be dealt with in more depth and therefore require a GP. Let the sillies have their laundry.
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    I don't get where laundry actually fits in with the Echo living theme too me, unless you count cloth lines and washtubs.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

And that's exactly why it's an SP option. There's no depth to it. It adds nothing to the game. It's just busy work. The other options should be dealt with in more depth and therefore require a GP. Let the sillies have their laundry.

You're actually quite rude, aren't you? Cause people don't agree with what you feel should be added to the game, they're sillies? Cause giving it a cute name makes it okay to name call cause they don't agree with you?
  • ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    My thing about laundry is the same issue I have with the clothes retail store lmao Its pointless. They change by spinning around. And all you have to do is click on the dresser and bam, free new, clean outfit.
    If they re-did the clothing system entirely to be more realistic as well I'd be a lot more excited about it but since that has no realism, I don't much care about this bit of realism either.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
    I like laundry because they are making the hand wash actually take time. You don't just throw it in the machine and walk away (unless you want to).

Plus, the description said that if their is a hamper anywhere on the lot, the clothes will fall in. So as opposed to TS3, you don't need a hamper in every single room. So no random clothes piles on the kitchen floor...

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I like laundry because they are making the hand wash actually take time. You don't just throw it in the machine and walk away (unless you want to).

Plus, the description said that if their is a hamper anywhere on the lot, the clothes will fall in. So as opposed to TS3, you don't need a hamper in every single room. So no random clothes piles on the kitchen floor...

That would be an improvement on Sims 3 hampers then. Historically in the uk a lot of people couldn't afford washing machines anyway and they came in a lot later than in the US. A lot of cheap flat renters still don't have them and have to use the laundromat. Our first buy was the cheaper spin dryer after handwashing and then putting on the line.

Is the desire for a Laundry pack from those who are sick of having to handwash or use the local laundromat and those who don't want it never actually having to do it? Discuss! >:)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2017
    Well we don't do laundry here - to be fair - so that probably colors my present experience - Hubby drops the laundry off at an Eco Laundry on his way to work and picks it up all cleaned and folded or on hangers and I just put it away where it all goes. You can choose to do it yourself if you want there - but it is worth the few dollars they charge to have them do it for you. LOL. It beats spending several hours in a laundry, buying detergents, etc for sure. They even do pick-up and delivery if you want - but we drop it off and pick it up as it is near hubbies work place.

http://www.prattabbott.com/wash-dry-fold

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2017

That alone would make it better than Sims 3 for sure... but I still won't add washers or dryers to any of my lots if that is what wins. I am okay either way - I like everything else that is in the pack - so it will still be a pack I will get.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    I honestly voted cause it's fun. But the game doesn't come out till 2018 so whatever lol, by that time we are gonna have like 30 SPs

lol It seems that way already! :D But they so help make the game more enjoyable.

epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    I don't get where laundry actually fits in with the Echo living theme too me, unless you count cloth lines and washtubs.

And that's why they tossed those two options into the laundry theme. So each party has the choice that they want. Plus, I might add. I like to have variety in my hoods. So I just may make an eco "friendly" sim or family, and them having the option to still have clean clothes, with less water, and using the sun to dry said clothes, will be option.

Also, what about poorer families? Some may not be able to afford both a washer or dyer. (I know I've had a few in my Sims 3 game). Will with the clothesline, they will have a place to hangup their wet clothes.

I also had a young adult in my Sims 3 game who lived in a tiny house. She only had space for a washer, and I placed a clothesline outside in her front yard. She then had a place to dry her clothes.

So see, no matter where you call, how you want to play will be covered with this laundry option... hopefully.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

And that's why they tossed those two options into the laundry theme. So each party has the choice that they want. Plus, I might add. I like to have variety in my hoods. So I just may make an eco "friendly" sim or family, and them having the option to still have clean clothes, with less water, and using the sun to dry said clothes, will be option.

Also, what about poorer families? Some may not be able to afford both a washer or dyer. (I know I've had a few in my Sims 3 game). Will with the clothesline, they will have a place to hangup their wet clothes.

I also had a young adult in my Sims 3 game who lived in a tiny house. She only had space for a washer, and I placed a clothesline outside in her front yard. She then had a place to dry her clothes.

So see, no matter where you call, how you want to play will be covered with this laundry option... hopefully.

You are still my spirit animal, @GoldenBuffy. I pretty much posted this in another thread. My poor/homeless families (or stay-at-home parents) will use the hand wash/line dry options while my busier families will use machines.

• DruscyllaDruscylla Posts: 2,532 Member
    I think the washtub and clothesline things are kind of interesting sure but they don't seem to add anything new or different. Clothes automatically go into hampers so sloppy teen sims won't have clothes everywhere - I guess now they have another teen chore to do but it's just not that cool. Take clothes from auto-collecting hamper. Put in washer then dryer and then they magically put themselves away and sim gets moodlet. The washtub and clothesline actually has more interaction so I'm far more interested in that but I guess that speaks to my desire for more interactions and just MORE in general.

I really enjoyed wine-making in Sims 3 and was hoping to have that and canning and actually seeing canned goods in my Sims homes as something more tangible. I'm not salty, just kind of disappointed that the community needs to settle on one or the other.
    meow_zpsa650c518.gif

You are still my spirit animal, @GoldenBuffy. I pretty much posted this in another thread. My poor/homeless families (or stay-at-home parents) will use the hand wash/line dry options while my busier families will use machines.

:D
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

@Druscylla, I wouldn't be surprised if the canning station didn't make a come back and the juice making too. If not in the Eco GP, then possibly in a future EP. Because I liked those features in the older games, as well as the beehive and honey making.

And it would be awesome if sims actually folded their clean clothes and put them away, but I don't think that will ever happen. lol
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    What I wonder is; will they be able to include both the washer/dryer and tub/line, plus the hamper? This is a Stuff Pack after all.