Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Roomate Threw Out My Food!!!!

lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
Ok so I'm having a rage fit right now and I need to express it anyway I can.
So yesterday my roomate cleaned out the fridge which was long overdue so I said thanks and helped by taking the rubbish out and wiping the fridge down but I went back to the fridge and looked around and realised he threw out all of my food. I had cheese, garlic, butter and two apples in the fridge and he threw them out. I'm really poor as I'm studying at the moment and I needed the cheese and garlic for a recipe. None of it was close to the use by date as it was all fresh so why did he think it was okay to throw my stuff out. Sure the fridge was getting crowded but that doesn't mean you can go through whats there and throw other people's food out and if he wanted make room he could of thrown his own food in the bin.

Comments

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Make him buy all those again. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited June 2017
    Obviously I don't know the whole story here. But I'm often (always) on your roommates side of this in my house. It's *always* me cleaning out the fridge, usually, it's overdue as gross as that is because I get so tired of doing everything so I just put it off until I'm too tired of it and usually a little angry. And I *try* to be careful of fresh stuff but if I can't find a date on it or can't remember how long it's been around it's probably getting tossed (even if it *looks* fresh, some things really don't show many signs that they've been expired for quite a while). Sometimes I make a mistake and throw out something fresh. I don't feel too bad either, because well... you want certain things to be kept, you clean out the fridge yourself. But that being said, it's a chronic problem in my house, and I seldom leave my own stuff too long in there, so it's me just cleaning up other people's junk. So I'm less forgiving than would be reasonable in other situations.

If this is like a rare situation then your roommate probably should have warned you and asked you if there was anything you wanted to keep. But I kind of feel like if it was overdue to be cleaned they probably felt like I often do and just wanted to get it cleaned out and get it done and over with. And just tossed whatever they weren't sure about because it's not worth wasting time looking for dates or signs that something is going bad. Still doesn't necessarily make it right, but I can get it and they didn't necessarily do it to be mean or anything. Maybe explain to them and see maybe they'd be willing to replace what they tossed, maybe it was just a mistake. (I'm always willing to replace it when I make a mistake too, even if it's kind of deserved it was still my mistake and I'll take responsibility)

Also, what we've done in my house to help is everything gets dated very clearly with a sharpie as to when it went into the fridge (we have a roll of painters tape for stuff that can't be written directly on, too). With the exception of condiments and a couple other items with an extremely long shelf life, everything gets thrown out in 2 weeks if it hasn't been used. Fruits and stuff I don't want to put marker or tape on still just get tossed when they look bad. But it helps everybody stay on the same page. Might be a tip for the future if this is a continuing concern.
  • Options
    lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    yeah, he owes you.

back when i was in school the first time, i had 2 roommates; their parents paid for all their stuff and i was the only one working. they often took my food without permission so, if i ran out of something, i'd use theirs and leave them an i.o.u (whenever payday came around, i made good on my promises too). not once did i ask them to pay me back for all the stuff they took, though i definitely should have.

have you spoken to your roommate about this? if the two of you are close, tell him why you're frustrated and ask him to please replace your items. if he doesn't, or he's rude about it, hit the road (or, if the lease is in your name, give him 30 days to pack his stuff and get out of your house).
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
  • Options
    EmilyLouise95EmilyLouise95 Posts: 27 Member
    that sucks :( i would've just mentioned it to him so he knows not to do it again.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    Thats wrong. He owes you either in cash or just buying the food again for you.

(I love food! Don't mess with meh food! :rage: )
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.