Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you decide what cc to let go?

My game has been lagging recently. I peeked into my Mods folder, it has 5000 items... I have a problem. I need to clean up my folder, but I dont know what to let go. So, how do you people do it? How do you decide what should be let go? Do you get rid of older stuff?

Comments

• Options
    Kim5496Kim5496 Posts: 1,261 Member
    I will take some time to try everything on my Sim. Anything that does not look perfect in game goes. There is just no space for things that don't look good. Also if you notice that you never use something get rid of it. :) Even if you are just thinking about getting rid of something move it to another folder on your desktop. If you find yourself missing that item add it back. Anything that's been sitting in that folder for 2 weeks or a month delete it. That's just what I have been doing lately to cut down on my CC folders.
  • Options
    BethanyShoneBethanyShone Posts: 310 Member
    Sorry it's not entirely related but I can't make my own topic but it would help with the clearing out process too:
    I'm wanting to clear out some CC because I have lots of clothes that don't look how I expected them too when I downloaded them. The only problem is I'm not sure what they're called in the mods folder (I have never renamed anything I've downloaded which I'm now thinking was a mistake)

Is there a way to delete items in CAS or to find out what file is for what item? I hope this makes sense :')
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I don't have much but usually, it starts with getting rid of items I don't use that much or that I stopped using, sometimes I delete everything and start fresh.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    You have a few options.

1. Delete everything and start fresh.
    2. Delete everything except a few things you just can't live without.
    3. Download Sims4Studio to sort out your items (see which items have high polygons, above 10.000 is extremely high)

That's why I normally do. I have above 100mb of downloads so i'm seeing what I need to get rid of, I like my folder not bigger than 50mb. Makes it easier to see what works and what doesn't.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    I sort of treat CAS CC as I would my wardrobe in RL. I sort through everything every couple months, and weed out a lot. I do have staples that never go, such as eyes, eyelashes, fingernails, etc, and certain, usually neutral-type outfits, that never seem to get old. That's a good idea, to put them in a non game folder and see if you miss them, for those undecided items.

Yep, Sims4Studio is a must-have to be able to view objects outside the game and delete right from there. It also can designate CAS CC as not able to be used on NPC's, so that you don't have naked, hairless Sims running around your town after a purge. You can also delete only certain swatches with a color or pattern that you don't care for. This can all be done on Build/Buy objects, too.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    My mods folder is currently 8.06 gigs. I haven't had any lag issues yet but I periodically go through hairs and get rid of the ones I don't use and when I hit around 10 gigs (normally the point I get tired of sorting through to find stuff) I'll do a clean dump and start all over but I don't dump get to school or mcc. Everything else though I toss.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    brntwafflesbrntwaffles Posts: 130 Member
    Organize into labeled folders, back up, then merge with sims 4 studio! That way 5,000 files become 5. Your loading screen will thank you haha
  • Options
    AKLSimmerAKLSimmer Posts: 78 Member
    > @BethanyShone said:
    > Sorry it's not entirely related but I can't make my own topic but it would help with the clearing out process too:
    > I'm wanting to clear out some CC because I have lots of clothes that don't look how I expected them too when I downloaded them. The only problem is I'm not sure what they're called in the mods folder (I have never renamed anything I've downloaded which I'm now thinking was a mistake)
    >
    > Is there a way to delete items in CAS or to find out what file is for what item? I hope this makes sense :')

There IS a way to delete CCs by putting everything you don't want on a sim in CAS, and finding out what file is for which item.
    You can download the Sims 4 Tray Importer, which will show what CCs have you been using for each item in your library.

Usually I start off by finding a good-looking cc-free household in my library, and then try everything on them. Once I find any cc that I don't like, or does not look as good as I expected, I will put it on that sim. Once I finished going through that process, I will save them to my library. Once I quit the game, I will soon open Tray Importer and find that household, it will show all the ccs I used on them, and I can delete them. I think currently this is the easiest way to get rid of the CCs you do not want.

I have more than 7GB mods and CCs right now, and a few months earlier I had more than 11GB. I only divided my mods folder into CAS, build mode items and mods, and larger mod packs have its own separate sub-folders in my mods folder. I never download pictures for any CCs or Mods that I used.

Because I've had the same main save file for nearly a year, I don't think I can ever start over again. So Sims 4 Tray Importer has really helped me a lot. Sims 4 Studio is a must-have too, but using it to go through all ccs you have is laborious and you might come across lags if you have a lot of them.

> @brntwaffles said:
    > Organize into labeled folders, back up, then merge with sims 4 studio! That way 5,000 files become 5. Your loading screen will thank you haha

I don't know if that helps but I don't recommend merging files. Once you have merged them, you are not going to be able to get rid of any one of them.
  • Options
    Misa_wants_PepsiMisa_wants_Pepsi Posts: 229 Member
    I never checked Sims4 studio becasue I assumed it was just for createing cc, but I guess it has other uses. Thank you for all the advice. Just wondering, how would i go about merging items?
  • Options
    brntwafflesbrntwaffles Posts: 130 Member
    You can't unmerge (as mentioned), so that's why you should always back up your mods before merging.

To actually do the merging there's an option in sims 4 studio up in one of the drop down menus... haha not sure if that makes sense I'm not at my pic where I could be more specific.

Also I've figured out you can only merge around 500 to 1000 packages before it freaks out and that depends on the sizes of those things too.
  • Options
    tinkerbell3552tinkerbell3552 Posts: 104 Member
    Does anyone ever just totally start over with CC? I keep having random crashing issues and it's a pain to find what's causing it each time....and I also have a ton of stuff I never use or doesn't work properly in game. Part of me wants to just totally start fresh.
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    Does anyone ever just totally start over with CC? I keep having random crashing issues and it's a pain to find what's causing it each time....and I also have a ton of stuff I never use or doesn't work properly in game. Part of me wants to just totally start fresh.

This may be a good place for me to jump in here.

First let me say I'm NOT a user of much cc. I counted, I have 7 mods and 3 cc files right now (2 skins, one eyes). But, I do rub shoulders with people who loooooooooove their cc, so I'm not completely clueless about it.

However, I will admit if i see someone asking, "should I pitch it all and start over??" ... my first instinct is to say, "yes, go for it!" :smiley:

The only crash I've had for months was not long ago (sometime in June), when I tried to add Luumia's merged v5 body hair cc. The individual package files may be fine, I didn't test those. I took the crash as a sign that I really don't need to spend that much time on adding body hair to my male sims, and just ditched it. (shrug-worthy, you know?)

I saw S4S mentioned for handling cc. Excellent option.

Another one would be the Tray Importer. It may even be better than S4S for weeding out bad cc. Comes highly recommended, but I've not used it.

Here's a tip, if you take any cc or mods OUT, also delete your localthumbcache.package file out of /Sims 4. Sometimes things get hung in that file. It will be recreated by the game.

@tinkerbell3552 (anybody, really) check your /Sims 4 folder. If you see a lastException.txt file (without numbers, those with numbers are old and Can Be Deleted), we on MCCC's Discord server may be able to help figure out some of the trouble you've been having.

We don't read the crash files or the ui exception files, but the regular LE files are often pretty useful in narrowing down "where" an issue is coming from. Sometimes we get lucky and files are mentioned by name. Usually it's more guesswork than that. I'm no expert at reading them, but I've probably seen 500 since the first of June. Experience FTW.

You don't HAVE to play with MCCC to visit Deaderpool's server. We have a general chat channel, and also a general support channel, which is where anyone having lastExceptions is welcome to upload those files to see if we can help. (Drag and drop usually works, if not, there's another way.)

Discord is available either by downloading the app or through a browser page. The invite link will give you the option.

https://discord.gg/Xfn9xrR

Come see us. B)
  • Options
    frog211frog211 Posts: 110 Member
    usually when it's broken or it doesnt fit into my game.