Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

WORLD PACKS? BIGGER WORLDS? PLEASE

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    catitude5 wrote: »
    I'd be happy if they allow us to place smaller lots on the area occupied by the really large lots, so instead of one 64x64 lot, we could have 4 15x15 lots.

You can put a small house on a big lot, but you can't put a house that is bigger on a small lot.

A lot that big is usually a park, and we already have the free roam area set up as parks with grills, picnic tables, kids play areas, wild flowers, public toilets and what not. Most lots included with the game are big lots. Some people prefer to play and build small houses on small lots. As we can't place our own lots wherever we like and there's a fixed space for lot placement, I jut think it would be nice if we were able to place more than one lot on the same area, depending on what size of house we want to build. I don't want to replace a big lot with a small lot, I just want to be able to split up the big lot into smaller lots and place them there like we did in TS2 and TS3.

In TS2, when Apartment Life was released, I would lay down the biggest lot possible, build a good number of houses, and stuff it with as many sims as my poor computer's CPU can handle, making it like a mini world of its own. It even had it's own grocery store since the Open For Business EP allowed you to set up a store in a residential/apartment lot.

Would you be able to do that in TS4? If so, give it a try!

TS2 didn't have compulsory lot types. And it had proper apartments. TS4 is a completely different beast. The bowling alley needs somewhat larger lot size because of it's length, but all other individual businesses could fit perfectly onto 20x20 lots and smaller.

I've looked around and found at least two TS4 builders who have been able to place several homes in a large 64x64 lot:

So hopefully this will give you ideas.

Thanks but I am not looking to build homes. Besides there is still an 8 sims limit even on a large lot and no proper apartment doors.

*Sigh* Wish TS2 was still easily available. I was able to stuff 40 sims in that lot I mentioned before. I built 5 homes and the grocery store on that lot.

Is there a mod that will allow you to place more than 8 sims on a lot? If so, then you will be able to download and use those lots already posted if you don't want to build.

I really don't want 40 playable sims on the same lot. It would create too much chaos. I just want small lots that are easy to see and follow what everyone is doing. When I play a household, I don't really care what the other playable households are doing. If I see them randomly around town I might befriend them and ask them over to visit but otherwise I let them be. Big lots are nice when you need to build a bigger house like a mansion or castle, or a community park, but they are generally wasted on businesses such as cafes, restaurants, shops, bars as the objects you can place on them are limited and anything extra you add either won't function as intended or will interfere with the other objects. Also, it takes a lot less time to build and decorate a smaller lot so they are quite a time saver when you can't spend the whole day playing.
  • Options
    SambylaSambyla Posts: 31 Member
    AGREE! Windenburg is one of my favourite worlds cause it's so big. You can play in that world without leaving it long time because there's room for multiple lots. Then worlds like Del Sol Valley are so tiny that it forced you to leave there to other worlds to play properly.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I'd be happy if they allow us to place smaller lots on the area occupied by the really large lots, so instead of one 64x64 lot, we could have 4 15x15 lots.

You can put a small house on a big lot, but you can't put a house that is bigger on a small lot.

A lot that big is usually a park, and we already have the free roam area set up as parks with grills, picnic tables, kids play areas, wild flowers, public toilets and what not. Most lots included with the game are big lots. Some people prefer to play and build small houses on small lots. As we can't place our own lots wherever we like and there's a fixed space for lot placement, I jut think it would be nice if we were able to place more than one lot on the same area, depending on what size of house we want to build. I don't want to replace a big lot with a small lot, I just want to be able to split up the big lot into smaller lots and place them there like we did in TS2 and TS3.

In TS2, when Apartment Life was released, I would lay down the biggest lot possible, build a good number of houses, and stuff it with as many sims as my poor computer's CPU can handle, making it like a mini world of its own. It even had it's own grocery store since the Open For Business EP allowed you to set up a store in a residential/apartment lot.

TS2 didn't have compulsory lot types. And it had proper apartments. TS4 is a completely different beast. The bowling alley needs somewhat larger lot size because of it's length, but all other individual businesses could fit perfectly onto 20x20 lots and smaller.

I've looked around and found at least two TS4 builders who have been able to place several homes in a large 64x64 lot:

Thanks but I am not looking to build homes. Besides there is still an 8 sims limit even on a large lot and no proper apartment doors.

*Sigh* Wish TS2 was still easily available. I was able to stuff 40 sims in that lot I mentioned before. I built 5 homes and the grocery store on that lot.

Is there a mod that will allow you to place more than 8 sims on a lot? If so, then you will be able to download and use those lots already posted if you don't want to build.

I really don't want 40 playable sims on the same lot. It would create too much chaos. I just want small lots that are easy to see and follow what everyone is doing. When I play a household, I don't really care what the other playable households are doing. If I see them randomly around town I might befriend them and ask them over to visit but otherwise I let them be. Big lots are nice when you need to build a bigger house like a mansion or castle, or a community park, but they are generally wasted on businesses such as cafes, restaurants, shops, bars as the objects you can place on them are limited and anything extra you add either won't function as intended or will interfere with the other objects. Also, it takes a lot less time to build and decorate a smaller lot so they are quite a time saver when you can't spend the whole day playing.

I wasn't suggesting that you stuff 40 playable sims on the same lot. I'm just saying that is was what I did. :)

I guess I wasn't clear in what I meant. What I meant is that you should make do with what the game has. If you can't have smaller lots, then make do with the larger one and put more homes in that. Then if there's a mod for it, you can place more than eight sims in that lot to live in those homes (or just make it eight sims if you're happy with that). It would be great because you can have each household visit the other homes without loading screens!

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member

I wasn't suggesting that you stuff 40 playable sims on the same lot. I'm just saying that is was what I did. :)

I guess I wasn't clear in what I meant. What I meant is that you should make do with what the game has. If you can't have smaller lots, then make do with the larger one and put more homes in that. Then if there's a mod for it, you can place more than eight sims in that lot to live in those homes (or just make it eight sims if you're happy with that). It would be great because you can have each household visit the other homes without loading screens!

I don't mind loading screens and I don't have that many sims that I need to place more than 8 of them on one lot. Also, how do you handle that many playable sims on one lot? Anyway, my sims use their home lot for basics like eat, sleep, watch TV. For things they don't have on their lot, they travel to community lots, and here lies the problem. Due to lot type, you can't successfully combine different functions on one lot, so you need to build 2-3-4 different lots for things that could have easily been placed and used on the same lot in TS2. Hence, not enough lots or lots that are too big for their purpose.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2020
    I don't mind loading screens and I don't have that many sims that I need to place more than 8 of them on one lot. Also, how do you handle that many playable sims on one lot? Anyway, my sims use their home lot for basics like eat, sleep, watch TV. For things they don't have on their lot, they travel to community lots, and here lies the problem. Due to lot type, you can't successfully combine different functions on one lot, so you need to build 2-3-4 different lots for things that could have easily been placed and used on the same lot in TS2. Hence, not enough lots or lots that are too big for their purpose.

Since you can't remove the large lot, make do by building several homes in it. You can then fill each home with households that add up to 8 for the lot, but it would be nice if you had a mod that can allow for more in case of story purposes (a child sim being born, for example). Then, when you have moved those households in, the lots that they vacated can then be converted into the commercial lots you wanted to add.

In TS2's Apartment Life EP, you can set down a large lot and build several residential units in them. Each unit can hold up to 8 sims. And the reason you can is because you can only play one unit (one household essentially) at a time making this very CPU efficient! The lots in TS2 however can have up to 20 sims at any given time. So that means that even though only one unit is active, sims from the other units will still come out of their apartment units and do stuff around the lot and this makes it so lively all the time!

So every area in the apartment lot that's not taken up by residential units are areas for the general use of all the tenants. So you can put a pool in there, hot tubs, bars, stereo, barbecue grills, have a garden with plants and trees - basically anything - for them to use and interact with. So I placed a grocery store there so that my sims wouldn't have to go out of the lot for food. One time, I even placed down a bowling alley and skating rink, lol! (You can add extra floors with no residential units and those will become general areas also for that.) You can also throw parties there for all the tenants to go to!

*Sigh!* So much fun! It's making me nostalgic. Makes me want to play TS2 and build another apartment mini-world!

• Options
    commwheelcommwheel Posts: 11 New Member
    Totally agree, I hate that for example Del Sol Valley or Moonlight Hollow are so small... Wish we could do more.
  • Options
    Andyzhang2896Andyzhang2896 Posts: 58 Member
    I'm totally fine when a neighborhood consists of 5 lots only. Even if the neighborhood is big (more than 6 lots), it's pretty meaningless with the loading screen whenever you travel. We should have got at least open-neighborhoods.
    And yeah, Del Sol Valley is the worst world for an expansion pack. It's surely gorgeous, but 11 lots only?!
    I ever heard that developers don't want a bigger world because they care about performance, but it sound like an excuse for me. It is their job to find a way to make it less laggy.