The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
February 23rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Long Haul Reading Circle

Comments

• ny275ny275 Posts: 261 Member
    I have just returned to stable internet so the forums work as they should. I wanted to pop in here and wish @cecerose0208 a Happy Belated Birthday!
  • jbestxoxojbestxoxo Posts: 271 Member
    ny275 wrote: »
    I have just returned to stable internet so the forums work as they should. I wanted to pop in here and wish @cecerose0208 a Happy Belated Birthday!

Happy belated @cecerose0208 !! :smiley:

• MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,266 Member
    The next three chapters of The Straud Dynasty have been posted, beginning with Agatha: Chapter 89 -- Second Quarter Report.
    How does the lifespan that you’ve chosen to play on affect your in-game decision making?

What made you decide to choose the narration style that you did?

I chose the long lifespan because when I play on normal, I tend to spend all my time working on skills and career. I still do that -- anything to collect points -- but this way, my children have time to play voidcritters, and I feel okay about sending my Sims to festivals.

As for narration style -- somehow I've gotten into first person for each of my 3 heirs whether I want to or not. I think that happens when I switch generations. It would be okay if I had a really distinctive style for each of them, but this time I don't. I'll probably go to 3rd person for the next set of heirs.

• allysimbuildsallysimbuilds Posts: 422 Member
    @MVWdeZT Loved the way the middle update ended with Arianna not knowing "how to turn on the TV." It was such a cute way to wrap up!

@cecerose0208 Happy Belated birthday!
  • SmallSeven01SmallSeven01 Posts: 312 Member
    @cecerose0208 Happy Belated Birthday!!

I have finally updated the Dove Legacy!! Here is the next Part: Luka's secret is finally revealed!
    Hey everyone! Happy Sunday! I apologize for being late with this week's question; I am a little off my game. Today's question:

What do you do/ plan to do with spares?

I hope you all have a great week! I don't think I will be around much this week, but I should have time to read all the new updates! :)
    Hey everyone! Happy Sunday! I apologize for being late with this week's question; I am a little off my game. Today's question:

I hope you all have a great week! I don't think I will be around much this week, but I should have time to read all the new updates! :)

For spares I usually move them out and mark as unplayed. I think it’s fun to watch what MCCC does with them. :smiley: Also, I keep up with them throughout the generation through manage households.
    For me it depends how big the generation is and how close all the siblings are.
    What do you do with spares?

I have more leeway in my legacy, as the heirs move out rather than stay in one house. In my first generation, all 3 children became heirs. In my second, Agatha has moved in her sister, and Argus has moved in one of his sisters. Both of Argus's sisters are vampires, which means they'll be eligible spouses for descendants of Agatha and Jocasta. Jocasta lives in an apartment so there isn't room for any family members, but she did meet Gavin and Chiara for bowling.

For the future, Agatha's son Rudy might move his brother Scott in with him. Argus's spare daughters will stay with their Aunt Justine. And Jocasta's spare son Mick is a vampire, so he'll stay in the apartment and become an eligible spouse for a descendant of Agatha or Argus.

• cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Hey all! I'm back from my trip, and trying to get back in the swing of simming. Thanks so much for the belated birthday wishes! I had an amazing time, but I'm really looking forward to getting caught up again on everyone's stories.

To answer the questions I've missed:

How does the lifespan that you’ve chosen to play on affect your in-game decision making?
    I have it on long, and it makes things drag out a bit I think. Pretty much every comment on my story is like, "so... yeah, time to get married darn it!" I've played through their marriage and first pregnancy, but I'll assess going forward if the chapters meander a bit too much.

What made you decide to choose the narration style that you did?
    I love the way Amanda (CitizenErased14) does these journal chapters for her story. And because I'm playing ISBI, I figured it was a good way to keep me focused on just the character I can control, seeing everything through their eyes. Also, my other story is pretty dialogue heavy, so this gives me a break from that.

I plan on making a house just down the hill from the main family estate and moving them in as soon as they age up to young adult. Then I'll let MCCC work it's magic on them, and do my best to track them and get photos for the family tree.
    Hi everyone, just a question: how do you get over not have much time to update? Life has been pretty crazy busy for me the last few months. I am considering writing a few chapters in advance as I am so far behind!
    @SmallSeven01 Sorry for the delayed response! I've been quite busy myself!

I think writing ahead is a great way to ensure you have content for when life gets busy. It can be an exhausting process, though. Another thing that's helped me in the past is to have some kind of outline. Outlines help me to think about my characters, where I want to take them and how I want to get there- so when I finally have time to write or work on an actual chapter, I'm prepared! Having a schedule can also help. Maybe aim to post once every other week? Of course, you don't have to stick to your schedule 100%! It's only there to help you out and give you a little push.

Also, never feel bad about life being busy or time being short. If you do, that'll take the fun out of it. Don't let your story pressure you! Those are just my thoughts. Anybody else, feel free to chime in with yours.
    @cecerose0208 (I know I'm late) Welcome back from your trip! I hope you had an exciting time. I missed seeing you around in different places. Have you settled back into routine since you've returned?
    @cecerose0208 (I know I'm late) Welcome back from your trip! I hope you had an exciting time. I missed seeing you around in different places. Have you settled back into routine since you've returned?

I wish, but no. Right now I'm working on grad school applications and with the holidays coming up, it's just so hard to stay in my regular routine. But I'm really enjoying the new pack for the Sims and I hope to have some new posts up soon. How is everyone else doing?

I wish, but no. Right now I'm working on grad school applications and with the holidays coming up, it's just so hard to stay in my regular routine. But I'm really enjoying the new pack for the Sims and I hope to have some new posts up soon. How is everyone else doing?

Welcome back from me, too. It is hard to stay in a regular routine. We're going to be remodeling part of the house preparatory to my 92-year-old father moving in, so I'm going to be less regular, too. Life interrupts. I'm enjoying having pets for my Sims, but I have to say they're accomplishing less, especially if they have dogs.
  • allysimbuildsallysimbuilds Posts: 422 Member
    @SmallSeven01 I've totally dropped my legacy atm because another story's caught my attention. Sometimes that's how life works (especially as I'm a writer :D ) Keeping with an update schedule certainly has it's benefits in terms of SEO and ranking, but I prefer to be selfish when it comes to creative endeavors. TLDR: Don't be hard on yourself for living a life. When you have time, your idea of working ahead would create a backlog of content that you wouldn't sweat it when life get's crazy.

@cecerose0208 I have to post the apartment you decorated! I've gotten carried away with a story, and haven't purchased all the packs you have that I don't yet-- will be doing so when there's a sale. I haven't forgotten!

@MVWdeZT Sounds like you're going through some big changes; I hope the transition is a smooth one. I haven't played C&D much, so this observation is an interesting one... that they accomplish less. I tend to be achievement-based with play, so that might really bother me...
  • PurplishSimEaterPurplishSimEater Posts: 563 Member
    Update on the Fitzgeralds: Have had no time/motivation to write, but everything for 1.08 & 1.09 has been photographed. 1.09 will probably be wordless-ish, so hopefully that helps out with the writer's block.

As for the save file: My CC folder glitched out and kept crashing my game after the pre-C&D update (which took FIVE HOURS to download on my school's Wifi network), so I'm going to try and run just the few mods I consider personal essentials plus my default skin & eye replacements, meaning Brittany's going to get a bit of a makeover between 1.09 and 1.10.
    Works in Progress: Fitzgerald Family Fables
    House: Ravenclaw/Pukwudgie | Wand: 12 1/4", Spruce & Phoenix Feather, Hard flexibility | Patronus: Black & White Cat
    Hey everyone thanks for all the comments. I have decided to take a break until January for something that has happened in my person life. I will be starting my new posting schedule in January!
    @allysimbuilds Hey, I'm sorry I didn't think about whether I had packs you didn't. If we ever do this again, I'm going to make sure I check which packs you have. But hopefully you were able to take advantage of the holiday sales...?

It's been so long since I published any chapters for my story. I've just got a lot going on personally, and haven't been able to write. But I'm also hoping to get back into it in the coming weeks. How is everyone doing?
    I've been very busy as well- I finally posted a new chapter (for the first time in two months) a few days ago. Holiday's are a crazy time of year- hope everyone has a great Holiday season and a Happy New Year!!
    Happy holidays, everyone!

I had a terrible mishap while transferring my pictures out of photobucket -- I managed to delete the album containing the screenshots for the first 33 chapters of The Straud Dynasty. The Strauds will be continuing, though, but in a Rival Dynasties Challenge instead of the 10 generation story they were in. The Rival Dynasties Challenge is a rotational one -- 3 different families go 5 generations each, with the winner being the one that occupies the most lots in Newcrest. Not sure if it's eligible for this group, but if you decide to allow it, I'll post a link when I get started.
    @PurplishSimEater Sorry to hear about your game issues. I know that's frustrating! I am excited to see Brittany's makeover, though. Even though I'm sure you would have rather kept her as she was.

@SmallSeven01 I hope everything is okay. (I know, I'm very late! Sorry!) Taking a break is good even if it's an unwanted break. Hopefully when you return, you'll be rejuvenated and eager to play/ write again. Looking forward to your new posting schedule!

@cecerose0208 I'm doing well! I've done a lot of traveling across timezones this month so my sleep schedule is all out of wack. I haven't published in forever either. I got distracted by another sims challenge and now have quite a few personal projects going on. A handful of which cut into writing/ playing time significantly. How are you doing? Is your holiday season busy?

@jbestxoxo This is a crazy time of year! I don't think I was prepared for it to come around as quickly as it did! :D Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to you as well! I'll be reading your most recent chapter as soon as I get a chance! :)

@MVWdeZT I don't see any reason why that can't be included. As long as you have a story that spans across multiple generations, it counts! I'm excited to read :)
    @ny275 Thanks. She doesn't look that different, now that I'm done with her, and at least she got to look nice for the main event of 1.09.

@MVWdeZT I've seen that challenge done but I don't remember reading any successfully completed ones, so good luck to you on that.
    House: Ravenclaw/Pukwudgie | Wand: 12 1/4", Spruce & Phoenix Feather, Hard flexibility | Patronus: Black & White Cat
    ...after four months gone, I don't have much to say, so here's a double update.

1.08 If You Like It...
    1.09 ...Put A Ring On It