The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
February 23rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Long Haul Reading Circle

Comments

• ny275ny275 Posts: 261 Member
    Hi everyone! I'll be back with an answer to the question and more thoughts later. The Castillo legacy has had two updates that I haven't posted here.

1.09 Are You, Aren't You?

1.10 The Unexpected
  • cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Most of us are doing legacies in which traits have to be randomized. How does that affect your planning for each generation? Do you try to match traits with skills and jobs?

I hadn't thought about this. But I think I would try to make the jobs and skills match. Like if I get potential heirs with loves outdoors, that'll be the gardener of the family, lol.
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,266 Member
    @ny275, Wow!
    Or should I make that wow! wow! wow! I'm anticipating that Siobhan and Elias are getting married or at least moving in together. I never really warmed up to Ava, and I haven't seen much of Siobhan in my games, so I'm looking forward to more of her. I think the reason you had trouble with 1.09 was that it was such a pivotal chapter, and also you didn't want to give away the upcoming break-up between Ava and Elias. Looking forward to seeing the nooboos!
    Hi everyone! I hope you're all doing well.

Right now the thought of going through all the posts and tagging specific people exhausts me, so I'm just going to put it all here.

It looks like the random questions are liked. I like the question a week idea, too- just to give it a bit more consistency. Possibly we could have a... weekly topic or something? Like one week we talk about how you choose a legacy spouse another week what you do/ plan to do with spares. I actually think I might try to do something like that to make it a little bit easier for all of us to interact with one another.

I figure, starting on the first Sunday of October, I'll try to post a question every Sunday. But please feel free to post questions at any time or if you want to post the weekly question, go for it!

@allysimbuilds
    I'm finding myself losing steam, and I have a huge desire to take time off before generation 5. Anyone else feeling that way about their saves? Or if you have, how did you get through it? Just pushing through? OR, did you take the break and feel/write better for it?

(Spoiler because it's long)
    Take time off if you need to (as long as you come back ;) )! I know a lot of authors start to feel worn out around this time. One idea would be to just play through generation 5, not write anything for it and pick the story back up at generation 6 or 7. I've read a few legacies where the author skips a generation because they're burnt out from writing or the generation is boring/ repetitive.

I have a friend who recently took a break from writing her story. This example probably isn't the best because hers is completely story driven. Anyway, she had things planned out from the start but was starting to feel worn out so she took a break. During her break when she wasn't pressuring herself, chapters and ideas flowed freely. Despite her working on the story anyway, she actually came back refreshed and ready to finish out the story!

However, I know of a ton of authors that go on a brief hiatus that slowly turns extended and then they decide they won't ever be completing the story.

So, I typed all of that to say: do what's best for you! Lol! Sorry if that wasn't helpful!

@MVWdeZT Most of us are doing legacies in which traits have to be randomized. How does that affect your planning for each generation? Do you try to match traits with skills and jobs?

I roll for all three traits when a child is born so I will be able to develop their personality as I write. To the best of my ability I do match skills/jobs with traits. At the same time, I try to watch the sim to see what he/she is drawn to. Traits do guide me in the way to take a certain generation- as do aspirations. I don't want for all of the heirs in this legacy to get everything handed to them. I also take game events into account when writing. For example:
    Every time Ava came over, she was in an uncomfortable mood. I think she was sick, actually, but I used that as her reaction to finding out that Siobhan was having triplets.

I'm a bit behind on almost everything on account of life so please please please let me know if I missed something from your story!!
  • allysimbuildsallysimbuilds Posts: 422 Member
    Okie dokie! Back with another update! Markus' Rebellion. I've decided I'm sending him to San Myshuno for school, and hopefully that will make the legacy more interesting again. I feel like it gets stale as they aren't allowed to move. Moving spices things up for me as, I'm a builder, I tend to get bored with the same building. We'll see!
    The next updates for Agatha, Argus, and Jocasta begin here. Thanks for reading!
    @MVWdeZT Love Travis' app and the kids all forming a club. Rainy from RainyDayzGamez reminded me to use clubs to help keep the gameplay for kids and teens fresh and fun; something I'd never thought of doing on my own. :# I'm curious to know more about the Sixamite's thinking, due to that cliffhanger!
    @jbestxoxo I "finished" playing around with the Carnegie mansion. You'll definitely have to look it over and make sure you aren't missing any of the rooms you need; I tried to use all the items that you'd had in the house before, deleting only plants and decorative items. Family photos are in the main house: entry way, dining room, living room (I think) and master bedroom. In the second house: entryway and master bedroom. I only did landscaping in front of the main house, around the left side to the in-law...house? lol! The back yard of the main house and storage shed were untouched. I hope it's useful to you!

For some reason it isn't showing up in the online gallery, but I just shared it in game. I'll add a link here ASAP. :)
  • elifdapetonelifdapeton Posts: 217 Member
    Hey, since you're full, I'm making a new reading circle just like this. Hopefully, you're all okay with it. Here's the tread
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
    | Legacy Challenge Story. 18+
    @elifdapeton Of course I'm okay with it. :) There's a need and somebody has to meet it!
    Hey everyone! How are all of you doing? So today I'll be playing a bit of catch up with all my stories. I've decided to post the "question of the week" on Saturdays instead of Sundays, so here it is:

How strictly are you following the rules for your challenge? What made you make this decision? How does strictly following the rules/ giving yourself leeway add or limit your story and gameplay?
    I'm a believer in strictly following the rules. Maybe that's because I design challenges and find it annoying when people "tweak" the rules. Also, on the other forum I belong to, you can't get into our Hall of Fame if you cheat.

My belief in strict rules comes from my experience with writing poetry. A 15-line poem might be nice, but it's not a sonnet. And if you follow the rules for your type of verse, you find that the limitations push you into places you wouldn't normally explore. There's lots of great free verse out there, and sometimes what you want to say is so compelling that you don't want any restrictions. But if you want to find out what's within, there's nothing like working on a sonnet or sestina (my preferred form) to help with that.

So my feeling is, if you want to play a multi-generational game, that's fine, but don't say you're doing a challenge. There are plenty of challenges to pick from, but once you've chosen, stick with its rules. You might go through the heartbreak of losing a family in the 8th or 9th generation, or you might go through 4 or 5 tries before you actually get going, but the rewards are worth it.
  • jbestxoxojbestxoxo Posts: 271 Member
    @jbestxoxo I "finished" playing around with the Carnegie mansion. You'll definitely have to look it over and make sure you aren't missing any of the rooms you need; I tried to use all the items that you'd had in the house before, deleting only plants and decorative items. Family photos are in the main house: entry way, dining room, living room (I think) and master bedroom. In the second house: entryway and master bedroom. I only did landscaping in front of the main house, around the left side to the in-law...house? lol! The back yard of the main house and storage shed were untouched. I hope it's useful to you!

For some reason it isn't showing up in the online gallery, but I just shared it in game. I'll add a link here ASAP. :)

Ahhh!!! I can’t wait to see it!! Do you have the link?! The house is in major need of updating! Haha :relaxed:
    ny275 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! How are all of you doing? So today I'll be playing a bit of catch up with all my stories. I've decided to post the "question of the week" on Saturdays instead of Sundays, so here it is:

How strictly are you following the rules for your challenge? What made you make this decision? How does strictly following the rules/ giving yourself leeway add or limit your story and gameplay?

I am following the rules super strictly- it makes it more of a challenge for me and it’s something that makes the game more interesting for me! The normal legacy doesn’t influence my story or gameplay that much- the only thing I can think of is the normal lifespan is a bit short to really go super in-depth to any long story line. Still trying to figure it out because I actually like to play and not just screenshot and pose the entire time haha :smiley:
    jbestxoxo wrote: »

Ahhh!!! I can’t wait to see it!! Do you have the link?! The house is in major need of updating! Haha :relaxed:

For some reason I can't find it on the online gallery, but it is in my catalogue in-game... Maybe I can't share a link bc the original is yours? I have no idea... o:)

• PurplishSimEaterPurplishSimEater Posts: 563 Member

I put the disclaimer on my blog's intro post that the only major rules I'd be following were the 10-generation rule and any inheritance laws I set up. I did this for a handful of reasons: I've never actually played a family past three generations, I'm plum at remembering restrictions, and I wanted some guidelines so I'd know where to go without overwhelming myself and still retaining freedom to craft some storylines as I see fit. I find being lenient with the rules helps but the bigger factor with this was being able to add in my own story lines that may end up bending rules. That being said, a lot of what I write is Sim-driven, so I mostly take my cues from them and adjust story lines as necessary.
    Works in Progress: Fitzgerald Family Fables
    House: Ravenclaw/Pukwudgie | Wand: 12 1/4", Spruce & Phoenix Feather, Hard flexibility | Patronus: Black & White Cat
    jbestxoxo wrote: »

For some reason I can't find it on the online gallery, but it is in my catalogue in-game... Maybe I can't share a link bc the original is yours? I have no idea... o:)

Hmmm, maybe try uploading and re-hashtagging?! :confounded:
  • SmallSeven01SmallSeven01 Posts: 312 Member
    Hey guys I am back from my little break! So posts will commence and results for the dove legacy will be up sometime this week!
    I'm still on my sort-of hiatus but once midterms are done and I go on break next week, I'll open up the save file for the Fitzgeralds and try to get back in the swing of things.
    House: Ravenclaw/Pukwudgie | Wand: 12 1/4", Spruce & Phoenix Feather, Hard flexibility | Patronus: Black & White Cat
  • cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Hey guys! I feel like I've been MIA for a bit. Real life stuff getting in the way. Luckily I've written ahead, so my story is still updating every Thursday. I'm not sure how long it's been since I linked to it, so click here to see the posts.

I'm about to leave the country for a few weeks, but my legacy story should have enough updates to make it until I get back. I will fall behind on everyone's stories in the meanwhile. But I'll be back near the end of October! If I get good wifi, I may pop into the forums if I get a chance.
    @cecerose0208 That's so exciting! Last year this time I was out of the country and would probably still be there if family stuff hadn't made me come back. Enjoy your time wherever it is that you're going. Also, I love your avi!
    Hey everyone! I'm sorry I haven't been on to answer last week's question (whoops) but I promise I read the replies to it and will get around to sharing my thoughts and responding to yours soon. It's Saturday again so I'm going to drop off another question! I'll actually drop two questions because why not?

How does the lifespan that you’ve chosen to play on affect your in-game decision making?

What made you decide to choose the narration style that you did?
    @cecerose0208, I love the view from your kitchen window, too! And I really like the way you've kept the space of your lot intimate. With 10 generations to fill the lot, you can spread out slowly.
    I think it's so funny that Khaled set the garden on fire as soon as he moved in. That's the "great" thing about an ISBI -- your uncontrolled Sims do strange things. He must have the creative trait -- I don't think other Sims paint autonomously. Looking forward to the wedding!

And before I forget -- enjoy your trip!
    Re: How does the lifespan that you’ve chosen to play on affect your in-game decision making?
    I play with normal, and don't really let age influence me much. I don't really have set milestones for anyone to accomplish at any particular time in their lives... it doesn't? :D

Re: What made you decide to choose the narration style that you did?
    3rd person seemed the safest option to me as I'd enjoyed writing 3rd person in the past on different pieces. This legacy was me getting my toes wet and I didn't want to take too big of a risk, or get too deep with anything!

I'm still around reading everyone's stuff, just engrossed with a few other projects I've got that I haven't updated!
    Back on the thread with semi-important news as related to the Fitzgeralds: I've downloaded the CC I need (poses mostly) to go ahead and shoot 1.08 and 1.09, so with any luck and time I should have at least 1.08 played through and photographed by Sunday night! Which means hopefully another chapter soon (by the 20th, at least)! I miss playing and writing Brittany, so this should be nice :)