Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cannot get NVIDIA to limit FPS

I may have just qualified for AARP, but I like to think my brain is not quite mush yet. This, however, is making me feel like a complete idi0t. @igazor @Simasaurus09 I started a new thread because I kinda felt like I was hijacking the other thread and her problems.

I added ts3.exe to the NVIDIA control panel and set program vsync to ON/Triple buffering ON. Didn't work.
I downloaded NVIDIA Inspector and pulled up both graphics card profiles for Sims 3. (see link)s291.photobucket.com/user/kaffeefiend/media/FPS_Puzzle.png.html?sort=3&o=0

They were already showing set for Force vsync ON but I hit "apply" just to be sure. My frame rate is between 200-300 in game. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I can't see where it says you are working with TS3.exe specifically anywhere on the Inspector screens. But I can't verify where it's supposed to show up (would have thought on "Profile") because I don't have Nvidia, my card is AMD. Let's see what @Simasaurus09 or the others say.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    The green bar across the top shows it?
  • Options
    I took that to mean it applied the settings to all 4 listed. Sims3.exe; ts3w.exe; ts3.exe and Sims3launcher.exe.
  • Options
    You're right, I couldn't see that until you pointed it out. But let's see what the others who actually have Nvidia cards and use Inspector say.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    This is going to be of no help whatsoever, but more for amusement while we're waiting. I have been on AARP's outreach list ever since I was 20 and they were filling up my physical mailbox with "spam" trying to get me to join. I would have done something really creative with them when that started happening, but was far too busy with upcoming Uni finals and preparing for the GRE exams to pay them enough attention at the time. They started hitting on me again when I was in my 30s, again at a time when I was too busy to pay them much attention. Am still (or again) on their outreach mailing list today although I probably do qualify now even though I don't consider myself an "Elder" yet. Can't imagine how old their database must think I really am by now, 110 or something? :)

On a more practical less chatty note, the tool to try after Nvidia Inspector would usually be RivaTuner Stats Server (RTSS). But the dual card issue is bothering me. I know that TS3 doesn't work with SLI but am not entirely sure what steps one is supposed to take to make a single card work with the game properly in this instance.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    LOL!! Yes, I too started getting AARP cards at 20. I assumed they confused me with my mother. Our names are one letter different. Probably not. They just wanted to plant the seed early. Now I am so insulted that I refuse to take that 10% discount. Good grief! I can't retire for another 17 years - or longer if Social Security moves the age again - what makes them think I am old?? And for the complete double standard, I still claim a "senior moment" now if I forget something. ;):D

I am Googling...most everything I have read says my SLI setting is correct at Single GPU.

Would it be bad to change the global settings for vertical sync on?
  • Options
    It wouldn't be a bad thing to try. The worst thing it can do is not work any better than what you already have in place.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Ok. There has to be something really simple I am doing wrong. Is there a hidden decimal on the FPS counter? It is still running in the high 200s and low 300s. This is nuts!
  • Options
    So thinking about the potentially glaringly obvious to all but me...would I have to reboot for the changes to take effect? There was no prompt for this so I have not rebooted my computer.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    There is no decimal point on the in-game fps display, the one that shows up in a small dark circle. There is on some other tools that provide fps displays. Rebooting, again not sure since I don't use these tools, but worth a try?

We'll get this hammered down somehow. You can't be the only player on that hardware set and there are many more tools that can be used if the Nvidia ones are going to be stubborn (MSI Afterburner, for example). I just don't have any first-hand experience with them or with the dual card setup.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Ah, did we cover this yet? If relying on Nvidia's vsync, the game must be in full-screen mode. That flavor of vsync doesn't work in windowed mode.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Yes, I read that and I play in full screen. Plus Inspector is supposed to be the fix for windowed games and it didn't work either. Just for grins I asked my husband (I am the more techie of us) and he has found a solution. He is buying me a new monitor with built-in v-sync and super-fast FPS. Guaranteed to reduce tearing. ROFLMAO!!!

In a more serious note, I would still like to figure this out. I hate when the computer wins.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    This might be a job for @chesterbigbird
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited June 2017
    Sorry if it's already been posted somewhere.. Can you tell me your specs?
    BTW nice puppy <3
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Thank you! He's a neurotic with a drool problem, but we love him! Abbreviated DXDiag. Let me know if I cut out something you need.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release_sec.170427-1353)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co.
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/05/12 13:52:26 Ver: 04.06.04
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16334MB RAM
    Page File: 5154MB used, 13610MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 680
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Type: Full Device
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1180&SUBSYS_28201462&REV_A1
    Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
    Device Problem Code: No Problem
    Driver Problem Code: Unknown
    Display Memory: 10122 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1955 MB
    Shared Memory: 8166 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: DELL E2715H
    Monitor Id: DELF061
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
    Output Type: DVI
    Drive: C:
    Free Space: 510.1 GB
    Total Space: 953.4 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: WDC WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 ATA Device

Drive: E:
    Free Space: 56.7 GB
    Total Space: 56.9 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: INTEL SSDSC2CW060A ATA Device
  • Options
    @chesterbigbird Is that a Beagle in your pic? I had an awesome Beagle growing up. He was so loyal and fierce! But gullible....His housemate was a wire terrier mix and when she wanted the beanbag to herself she would go to the back door and bark like crazy. Sam would think there was a squirrel on the back fence and take off! Shoot, even the squirrels made fun of him. They would sit on the back fence at the mid-point of the yard and taunt Sam to come get them. Then when he took the bait they would race to the corner and run him into the fence. Hours of fun for all!

And thank you for your help!
  • Options
    @chesterbigbird Is that a Beagle in your pic? I had an awesome Beagle growing up. He was so loyal and fierce! But gullible....His housemate was a wire terrier mix and when she wanted the beanbag to herself she would go to the back door and bark like crazy. Sam would think there was a squirrel on the back fence and take off! Shoot, even the squirrels made fun of him. They would sit on the back fence at the mid-point of the yard and taunt Sam to come get them. Then when he took the bait they would race to the corner and run him into the fence. Hours of fun for all!

And thank you for your help!

LMAO @ that squirrel game :D
    She is a beagle X Jack Russell, I have been told by my Dad who had 2 pure beagles that she is mostly beagle.. Naughty loud but smart and loveable :p
    She just had her 2nd birthday yesterday, I have had her since she was 4 weeks old.. love her like crazy <3
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    OK so have you made sure your Nvidia driver is up too date? And i prefer not to download or use Nvidia GeForce Experience as it can cause some issues.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Although I updated them May 23rd and the latest driver came out May 22nd, I was a month out of date. They are updated now and it didn't make a bit of difference. I set it to Vsync on and it is still running at 200 - 300 fps. And if I lower my graphics settings in the game it pushes 400 fps.
  • Options
    I did not check if this was asked. Are you in full screen mode or windowed mode?
  • Options
    Full screen. I have also tried Nvidia Inspector and that has not capped my frame rate.
  • Options
    You should be in full screen. Chester will be on later and maybe she has some other ideas. That 1.69 patch gives some issues with getting vsync to work and I don't know why.
  • Options
    Maybe it's time to try Afterburner or RTSS, pending Chester's additional thoughts. It's that dual card thing that's bugging me. There's something that sounds very familiar about this, the SLI option not being honored, something like that, but I can't remember exactly what players have done to get past this hurdle before.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @igazor SLI does not work on this game. One card would have to be disabled
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @igazor SLI does not work on this game. One card would have to be disabled
    Yes, I know that. But how, exactly? The OP has said this:

"I have dual GTX 680s in an SLI configuration but SLI is set to Single GPU for TS3 - I think I read other modes didn't work with TS3? If this is not the case please let me know."

Is "set SLI to Single for TS3" a different procedure from "disabling the card"? Should the second card be disabled from within the Device Manager before playing the game, or something more along those lines?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!