Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

That single light bulb is NOT ECO friendly!!!!

2...Next

Comments

• davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited June 2017
    davina1221 wrote: »
    True. But it looked cool, and it's perfect for grungy/film noir settings, so I voted for it.
    Maybe they could do versions of the light fixtures with the incandescent and fluorescent bulbs.

I think it would look cool for poor sims. If I had gotten to vote, it would've been one of my choices.

But ethically, OP is correct.

Also, washing machines and laundry as we know it today aren't eco friendly either. I just saw where a guru confirmed that laundry would be a choice to vote on and it could only meet the perameters eco friendly and country if they use a clothes line and washer board/wringer washer. It isn't that I would like to have laundry one day and the laundry mat would be neat, but if they keep the eco friendly part that won then they wouldn't be choices.

Post edited by davina1221 on
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2017
    IngeJones wrote: »
    But isn't there quite a high footprint in the production of LED bulbs?

No. It is just the opposite because they last so long amd save so much energy. The most eco friendliest uses just 7 -15 watts, provide as much light as a 60 - 200 watt incandescent white light, and they generally last 7-10 years with most close to the 10 year time. Incandescent last at most 1000 hours, so they have to be replaced often for one thing - fill land fills with trash that does not break down. Led bulbs do have to be properly disposed just like anything else that uses mercury at recycle centers - but the fact they only have to do this every 7 -10 years is a plus, as well as the fact they are properly eliminated and do not sit in landfills forever. But hey that is neither here or there. People voted for what they wanted - what can I say.

The fact they voted for the grunge look is ironic when this was supposedly a pack about being eco friendly - not grunge. Lol. They really need to rename this pack and idea.

Also I am aware there are LED lights in the bulb style - but the idea the poorer people would have 12-20 dollars to waste on per light bulb to have that kind of LED light is rather ironic too.

This has already been researched:

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/translating-uncle-sam/stories/cfl-vs-incandescent-battle-of-the-bulb

Also keep in mind this is an older study and since this was first said they have much improved lighting and bulbs to be even safer and even more energy efficient with zero changes to incandescents. So a lot of the hazards have even further improved. For instance when this study was done the average energy saver lasted 3-5 years - now they average 7-10 years for the same price they were.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• GeopheryGeophery Posts: 18 Member
    LED Bulbs do not contain mercury. CFL bulbs do and have to be disposed of properly.

I used to work at a drop off for CFL and Fluorescent bulbs and had to prep them for shipping. White painter's overalls, gloves and a breathing mask where my PPP of choice just in case one decided to break.

From https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/led-lightbulb-concerns/

Dear EarthTalk: Are there health or environmental concerns with LED lightbulbs, which may soon replace compact fluorescents as the green-friendly light bulb of choice?—Mari-Louise, via e-mail

Indeed, LED (light emitting diode) lighting does seem to be the wave of the future right now, given the mercury content and light quality issues with the current king-of-the-hill of green bulbs, the compact fluorescent (CFL). LEDs use significantly less energy than even CFLs, and do not contain mercury. And they are becoming economically competitive with CFLs at the point of purchase while yielding superior quality lighting and energy bill savings down the line.

But LEDs do have a dark side. A study published in late 2010 in the journal Environmental Science and Technology found that LEDs contain lead, arsenic and a dozen other potentially dangerous substances. LEDs are touted as the next generation of lighting,” says Oladele Ogunseitan, one of the researchers behind the study and chair of the University of California (UC)-Irvine’s Department of Population Health & Disease Prevention. “But as we try to find better products that do not deplete energy resources or contribute to global warming, we have to be vigilant [about] toxicity hazards….”
    Geophery wrote: »
    LED Bulbs do not contain mercury. CFL bulbs do and have to be disposed of properly.

I used to work at a drop off for CFL and Fluorescent bulbs and had to prep them for shipping. White painter's overalls, gloves and a breathing mask where my PPP of choice just in case one decided to break.

Dear EarthTalk: Are there health or environmental concerns with LED lightbulbs, which may soon replace compact fluorescents as the green-friendly light bulb of choice?—Mari-Louise, via e-mail

Indeed, LED (light emitting diode) lighting does seem to be the wave of the future right now, given the mercury content and light quality issues with the current king-of-the-hill of green bulbs, the compact fluorescent (CFL). LEDs use significantly less energy than even CFLs, and do not contain mercury. And they are becoming economically competitive with CFLs at the point of purchase while yielding superior quality lighting and energy bill savings down the line.

But LEDs do have a dark side. A study published in late 2010 in the journal Environmental Science and Technology found that LEDs contain lead, arsenic and a dozen other potentially dangerous substances. LEDs are touted as the next generation of lighting,” says Oladele Ogunseitan, one of the researchers behind the study and chair of the University of California (UC)-Irvine’s Department of Population Health & Disease Prevention. “But as we try to find better products that do not deplete energy resources or contribute to global warming, we have to be vigilant [about] toxicity hazards….”

We have to take both CFL and LEDs to the recycle center where I live. They take them for free but if you have incandescents they charge you 50 cents a piece to get rid of them as they can't go in the land fill anymore (the don't break down and the glass shatters) and are pretty much out lawing around here.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    Welcome to my game, you non eco friendly light bulb. There will be homes waiting for you. We can destroy the sim world with your bright light >:)
    Welcome to my game, you non eco friendly light bulb. There will be homes waiting for you. We can destroy the sim world with your bright light >:)

Actually they are not very bright compared to Led and CFL. to be truthful. And they definitely do not make the world in general a better place.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    > @Writin_Reg said:
    > No home made candles are cheaper.

Maybe so but an LED Light bulb will still be the most ECO Friendly based on the whole renewable energy thing and that an LED unlike a candle does not give out carbon dioxide when its burnt (like a fossil fuel).

Oh I agree - I said that to start with - but the mercury complaints made me add about candles. LOL. I use nothing but eco LED bulbs myself. They last a good 10 years and offer better light for mere cents.

It could be that I'm misreading your post, but LEDs do not use mercury in them--compact florescents do, but LEDs rely upon an entirely different technology (and vary depending upon the type of LED involved and its usage).

Actually, only red-colored LEDs typically contain lead in them--but in the modern era, we're talking very small amounts of it. In past decades (think 60s and into possibly part of the 80s), they may have contained more and were also much more likely to die out/have to be replaced and tossed sooner rather than later, but the technology has improved to where they tend to last longer and don't contain as much lead as they once had. Plus, the average person wouldn't have reason to even get into a red LED for any reason (you're more likely to see it with certain electronics).

Also, with respect to the other materials you mention (specifically arsenic amongst others), again, it's in very small amounts we're talking--and not likely to leach out. Just as one isn't likely to get exposed to it nor even access to anything within those bulbs.
  • GeopheryGeophery Posts: 18 Member
    > @nolurk said:
    > Geophery wrote: »
    >
    > LED Bulbs do not contain mercury. CFL bulbs do and have to be disposed of properly.
    >
    > I used to work at a drop off for CFL and Fluorescent bulbs and had to prep them for shipping. White painter's overalls, gloves and a breathing mask where my PPP of choice just in case one decided to break.
    >
    >
    > From https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/led-lightbulb-concerns/
    >
    >
    > Dear EarthTalk: Are there health or environmental concerns with LED lightbulbs, which may soon replace compact fluorescents as the green-friendly light bulb of choice?—Mari-Louise, via e-mail
    >
    > Indeed, LED (light emitting diode) lighting does seem to be the wave of the future right now, given the mercury content and light quality issues with the current king-of-the-hill of green bulbs, the compact fluorescent (CFL). LEDs use significantly less energy than even CFLs, and do not contain mercury. And they are becoming economically competitive with CFLs at the point of purchase while yielding superior quality lighting and energy bill savings down the line.
    >
    > But LEDs do have a dark side. A study published in late 2010 in the journal Environmental Science and Technology found that LEDs contain lead, arsenic and a dozen other potentially dangerous substances. LEDs are touted as the next generation of lighting,” says Oladele Ogunseitan, one of the researchers behind the study and chair of the University of California (UC)-Irvine’s Department of Population Health & Disease Prevention. “But as we try to find better products that do not deplete energy resources or contribute to global warming, we have to be vigilant [about] toxicity hazards….”
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Actually, only red-colored LEDs typically contain lead in them--but in the modern era, we're talking very small amounts of it. In past decades (think 60s and into possibly part of the 80s), they may have contained more and were also much more likely to die out/have to be replaced and tossed sooner rather than later, but the technology has improved to where they tend to last longer and don't contain as much lead as they once had. Plus, the average person wouldn't have reason to even get into a red LED for any reason (you're more likely to see it with certain electronics).
    >
    > Also, with respect to the other materials you mention (specifically arsenic amongst others), again, it's in very small amounts we're talking--and not likely to leach out. Just as one isn't likely to get exposed to it nor even access to anything within those bulbs.

That is true It does mention that farther down in the article I just didn't want to paste the whole thing. Now a days if they have lead it most likely on the cheaper brand's circuit boards and not in large amounts.
    > @nolurk said:
    > Geophery wrote: »
    >
    > LED Bulbs do not contain mercury. CFL bulbs do and have to be disposed of properly.
    >
    > I used to work at a drop off for CFL and Fluorescent bulbs and had to prep them for shipping. White painter's overalls, gloves and a breathing mask where my PPP of choice just in case one decided to break.
    >
    >
    > From https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/led-lightbulb-concerns/
    >
    >
    > Dear EarthTalk: Are there health or environmental concerns with LED lightbulbs, which may soon replace compact fluorescents as the green-friendly light bulb of choice?—Mari-Louise, via e-mail
    >
    > Indeed, LED (light emitting diode) lighting does seem to be the wave of the future right now, given the mercury content and light quality issues with the current king-of-the-hill of green bulbs, the compact fluorescent (CFL). LEDs use significantly less energy than even CFLs, and do not contain mercury. And they are becoming economically competitive with CFLs at the point of purchase while yielding superior quality lighting and energy bill savings down the line.
    >
    > But LEDs do have a dark side. A study published in late 2010 in the journal Environmental Science and Technology found that LEDs contain lead, arsenic and a dozen other potentially dangerous substances. LEDs are touted as the next generation of lighting,” says Oladele Ogunseitan, one of the researchers behind the study and chair of the University of California (UC)-Irvine’s Department of Population Health & Disease Prevention. “But as we try to find better products that do not deplete energy resources or contribute to global warming, we have to be vigilant [about] toxicity hazards….”
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Actually, only red-colored LEDs typically contain lead in them--but in the modern era, we're talking very small amounts of it. In past decades (think 60s and into possibly part of the 80s), they may have contained more and were also much more likely to die out/have to be replaced and tossed sooner rather than later, but the technology has improved to where they tend to last longer and don't contain as much lead as they once had. Plus, the average person wouldn't have reason to even get into a red LED for any reason (you're more likely to see it with certain electronics).
    >
    > Also, with respect to the other materials you mention (specifically arsenic amongst others), again, it's in very small amounts we're talking--and not likely to leach out. Just as one isn't likely to get exposed to it nor even access to anything within those bulbs.

That is true It does mention that farther down in the article I just didn't want to paste the whole thing. Now a days if they have lead it most likely on the cheaper brand's circuit boards and not in large amounts.

With circuit boards, though, you won't find lead in use anymore due to the EU's passing of (controversial) legislation involving RoHs-compliance which has since become standard throughout the world (with the exception of anything military-grade or in use by space agencies such as NASA, due to durability issues that exist with the alternatives--especially with respect to soldier).
  • PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    > @IngeJones said:
    > But isn't there quite a high footprint in the production of LED bulbs?

Isn't that the problem nowadays? I recently heard that recycling plastic causes huge carbon emissions (but that recycling cans is still good). IF this is true, then what's a person to do? Same for the LED bulbs ... less waste, but high production induced carbon footprint. *sigh* Seems many "solutions" cause just as many problems, if not more. :'(

That said, if the Eco stuff pack has solar panels or some other such means of power that is eco-friendly, does it really matter what kind of lightbulb that single lightbulb will be? ;)
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
  • PianoCollectorPianoCollector Posts: 108 Member
    Nobody seems to notice that it isn't a regular incandescent bulb, it's a Victorian or Edison bulb. Look closely at the concept art, it has a long loose filament, and a sharp point or "tip" at the end of the bulb. These bulbs are for decorative use and have an incredibly long life due to their special filament. They are also currently a huge décor trend right now, hanging in almost every trendy hipster restaurant and café around the world. There's also a home grown company in America that hand weaves the authentic filaments for their bulbs. I've had LEDs before, and I never had one last for more than a year or so, in addition to the harsh glare and dreary light they emit, but I've never had an Edison bulb burn out on me.
  • PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    > @PianoCollector said:
    > Nobody seems to notice that it isn't a regular incandescent bulb, it's a Victorian or Edison bulb. Look closely at the concept art, it has a long loose filament, and a sharp point or "tip" at the end of the bulb. These bulbs are for decorative use and have an incredibly long life due to their special filament. They are also currently a huge décor trend right now, hanging in almost every trendy hipster restaurant and café around the world. There's also a home grown company in America that hand weaves the authentic filaments for their bulbs. I've had LEDs before, and I never had one last for more than a year or so, in addition to the harsh glare and dreary light they emit, but I've never had an Edison bulb burn out on me.

@PianoCollector , these lightbulbs aren't only in "trendy hipster" establishments -- they are simply EVERYWHERE now! :D I've always been obsessed with these bulbs because of their Victorian/Edwardian connections, but would almost only see them in old movies and cartoons until a few years ago.
    Thank you for the info on the American company that hand weaves the filaments! That's pretty cool! B)
    But I STILL think what I said before: "That said, if the Eco stuff pack has solar panels or some other such means of power that is eco-friendly, does it really matter what kind of lightbulb that single lightbulb will be?" ;)
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
    edited June 2017
    True. But it looked cool, and it's perfect for grungy/film noir settings, so I voted for it.
    Maybe they could do versions of the light fixtures with the incandescent and fluorescent bulbs.

Well I am not into grungy look - AT ALL!!!!!! So that also colors my opinion as well as incandescents not being eco - friendly. I assure you those who live by the grungy look do so because they have to - it is usually not a life style choice and edison bulbs are not generally on their shopping list as they tend to be expensive and also are not sold at your local grocers. LOL.

Granted maybe things have changed and the local grocers do sell them - I have not been in a grocery store in so long I wouldn't know. LOL.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    edited June 2017
    I think people don't really understand what "eco living" is, it isn't the absence of a footprint because there is no way for a human to do that without killing themselves. Just being alive creates a footprint on this earth. Eco living is reducing your footprint in ways that you can and the majority of the people who are eco living still use light bulbs and look like normal everyday people. Very few people go to the extreme ends of eco living. The majority of people just reduce their impact.

Also the amount of mercury gas in fluorescent is about 5 milligrams not really enough to do any real damage unless you are exploding bulbs in your face all the time. I think people need to realize that there is no true safety in anything humans do. All of the food you eat has some "toxic chemicals" from the ground no matter how much its washed trace elements of ground contamination and feces remain. Everything you touch has poo particles on it or around it. No one dies over that because it takes significant amount of something to actually do harm to our bodies. Our bodies are pretty good at keeping things that are "bad" out.

As someone else mentioned it isn't a fluorescent bulb nor is it the same as an incandescent. Since it is a video game it can easily just be a deco-recreation of an Edison bulb that's LED for all we know. I think arguing over if this is "eco enough" is super silly.
    edited June 2017
    Ummm I live the eco living life. I am not most people. But I am most people like all my neighbors here. They take eco living seriously here.

I realize it is just a game - but I do tend to play at least my normal, human Sims a lot like I live other wise I end up annoyed by things and can't enjoy my game. I fully expected Eco living to reflect - well Eco living more or less. But honestly my 1st place vote was for Dangerous Stuff seeing when I saw laundry associated with Eco living - I knew then this pack was not going to be a serious pack supporting Eco living anyway. So it was my third place vote.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I think people don't really understand what "eco living" is, it isn't the absence of a footprint because there is no way for a human to do that without killing themselves. Just being alive creates a footprint on this earth. Eco living is reducing your footprint in ways that you can and the majority of the people who are eco living still use light bulbs and look like normal everyday people. Very few people go to the extreme ends of eco living. The majority of people just reduce their impact.

Also the amount of mercury gas in fluorescent is about 5 milligrams not really enough to do any real damage unless you are exploding bulbs in your face all the time. I think people need to realize that there is no true safety in anything humans do. All of the food you eat has some "toxic chemicals" from the ground no matter how much its washed trace elements of ground contamination and feces remain. Everything you touch has poo particles on it or around it. No one dies over that because it takes significant amount of something to actually do harm to our bodies. Our bodies are pretty good at keeping things that are "bad" out.

As someone else mentioned it isn't a fluorescent bulb nor is it the same as an incandescent. Since it is a video game it can easily just be a deco-recreation of an Edison bulb that's LED for all we know. I think arguing over if this is "eco enough" is super silly.

The technology you're arguing we need or we're dead didn't exist until very recently and well, people lived. Eco living is the acknowlegment that our actual way of living is indeed harmul as you said but there're alternatives where the polution isn't significant to destroy ecologic processes, the natives mastered that. I know that it's not like everybody will head to live in the woods but being eco-friendly is about the change in habits, not only reducing emissions of whatever.

It doesn't matter if it was Uranium (haha) and now it's LED if it still requires mining, industries, a lot of chemical reactions to end up as simple garbage in our cans.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode

The technology you're arguing we need or we're dead didn't exist until very recently and well, people lived. Eco living is the acknowlegment that our actual way of living is indeed harmul as you said but there're alternatives where the polution isn't significant to destroy ecologic processes, the natives mastered that. I know that it's not like everybody will head to live in the woods but being eco-friendly is about the change in habits, not only reducing emissions of whatever.

It doesn't matter if it was Uranium (haha) and now it's LED if it still requires mining, industries, a lot of chemical reactions to end up as simple garbage in our cans.

Precisely.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    We could solve the ecological and the obesity crises in one go if we all had to pedal stationary cycles to power our homes.
  • dublin1568dublin1568 Posts: 65 Member
    I would love to see a potting bench that you can store your flowers and plants in.It would help out with your inventory being overloaded.
  • dublin1568dublin1568 Posts: 65 Member
    Kale plants,so you can bake kale chips would be awesome as well.
    edited June 2017
    IngeJones wrote: »
    We could solve the ecological and the obesity crises in one go if we all had to pedal stationary cycles to power our homes.

Actually living the eco life style does that - solves the obesity problem as you work a lot harder it seems in this life style instead of using machinery every thing is done with out fossil fuels and most electricity - even for people with solar and wind power - they adopted the style of being the machine. Hand shoveling or hand plows for gardening - many are vegan so their diet energizes them not slow them down and make them sluggish. My neighbors seem to have boundless energy. When they are not at their day jobs they are always outside doing something - building things, gardening, and many do like pottery and such. Swimming in the lake here , playing tennis, volley ball, horseshoes, biking, nature walks and hiking in the summer or skiiing, sledding, and snow shoeing in the winter. They are never inside or not doing something. LOL. Never have I lived anywhere else where people are so active and fit. No one has exercise equipment but me - I have a stationary bike.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited June 2017
    dublin1568 wrote: »
    Kale plants,so you can bake kale chips would be awesome as well.

Actually not many people "bake" here - things like that is done in solar dehydrators usually. I have a friend here who is constantly making all kinds of fruit and veggie chips in her dehydrator. Wish one of those were on the list.

You can even build your own - I would love hubby to build me one.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/tools/solar-food-dehydrator-plans-zm0z14jjzmar

I am a huge fan of apple, sweet potato and banana chips, although I love most fruit or vegetable chips

In dreams - I LIVE!