Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Colour Wheel ideas and saving presets - advice please!

Hope this is in the right section. :)

I'm forever drooling over all the wonderful creations here in this section and admire your custom colours for all aspects of furniture, walls, floors etc.

A few questions:

1) Do you 'find' your colours manually on the colour wheel at random, or do you work from palettes with rgb numbers or hex codes already made? I'm aware of a few colour sites with palettes, but finding the exact colour I want is time consuming. Often it's by experimenting with the light/darkness on the colour wheel, but still struggle to get the desired colour/shade.

2) Do you save your custom colours in the colour wheel section on the right, or in the object variations on the left?

3) How does this impact on lag/ bloating etc in the game if you save many custom colours? Should I be worried about saving presets in the dozens or hundreds?

Many thanks for your advice. I'm trying to be a better builder and decorator and eventually will share my creations when I develop a shred of confidence. Until then, I'll keep recommending everyone's superb builds and hope to learn as I go along. :)

Comments

• Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    Hi :)

1) I usually work with the colour wheel. I sometimes go in with a specific colour in mind to try to create, or sometimes I just drag it around until I find one that I like.

2) Both. If I really like the way an object looks, I'll save the object, but if I just stumble across something that I like but that doesn't really fit the object, I'll save it in the colour/patern presets.

3) I think it all boils down to what your computer can handle. I've got more saved via colour wheel than object presets, but I haven't noticed much lag either way. Ocasionally if I have lots saved in one particular category it'll take a second or two longer to load that category.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    hugzncuddleshugzncuddles Posts: 223 Member
    Thanks goulsquash! We're getting a new computer soon as this one can't handle an mmorpg I play, but we also wanted to improve the loading time of custom textures in various lots/houses in Sims 3.

One thing I can't seem to find is a nice yellow shade on the colour wheel, tried many times so might try using preset rgb numbers - bookmarked a couple of sites that list them.

I'll try saving in both categories then, hopefully the new pc will laugh at it instead of crying like this one does lol.