Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Comparing TS2 and TS4 Aging (Teen -> Elder)

2...Next

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Good post.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • 1upMushrooms1upMushrooms Posts: 183 Member
    The age transition between adult and elder in TS4 is fine and in my opinion better than TS2 (and I'm a huge fan of TS2), but dang! What kind of milk have the Sims 4 teens been drinking to look that mature??
  • MorinGlory23MorinGlory23 Posts: 64 Member
    I think the sims 2 did the best job at age transition. Since that [i]generation[/i] was focused on family and legacy the sims team put more work on distinguishing each life stage for that time (2004). The sims 3 was mostly focusing on the open world, but family was still given the justice it needed. The sims 4 seems to be mostly focused on a YA/Adult life style. Like parties and social gatherings. The other life stages were basically slapped together. Though, now Maxis seems to be trying to fix that, one patch,GP, and EP at a time. In terms of looks and gameplay, the sims 2 wins, IMO, in that each age is distinguished and each has its own challenges. For example, teens in the sims 2 had to deal with acne, curfews, relationships, running away, school, a social life, family, and the police. The reason I'm saying the sims 2 wins on this is because it is the first in the franchise to introduce this aspect to sims lives. In the sims 3, some of these were carried over and elaborated on. Teens in 2 and 3 still looked immature enough, plus their heights, that it's easier to tell them apart from other life stages. In the sims 4, teens are basically pseudo YA. Until Parenthood, teens had no curfew or acne. They can "woohoo" , work, and raise a family like any other age group. They don't have the same challenges and restrictions that teens had from the sims 2 and 3. They basically look just like YA and act fairly the same besides taking selfies. Their the reason a lot of simmers are asking for preteens or modifications to the teens. The sims 2 didn't have that much controversy around the life stages. But the sims 4 does. I feel if Maxis had stuck with the same teen design they had since the sims 2, there wouldn't be so much debate over them now. Just my 2 cents. I'm hoping the sims 5 does revise the Sims 2 formula and add to it.