Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 is still a success

Comments

• Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    @drake_mccarty

I found nothing about it in the transcript.

Sure it's purely subjective but it remains positive because it proves TS4 feels better than before.

I did state that it was only worth noting, as there isn't any additional 'active players' data from EA to compare it to.

And EA loves nothing more than to misrepresent data, as they did very much with SimCity 2013.
    raw
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »
    @drake_mccarty

I found nothing about it in the transcript.

Sure it's purely subjective but it remains positive because it proves TS4 feels better than before.

I did state that it was only worth noting, as there isn't any additional 'active players' data from EA to compare it to.

And EA loves nothing more than to misrepresent data, as they did very much with SimCity 2013.

SC'13 was blatant lies. I unapologetically say that Maxis lost every ounce of integrity they once had when they openly lied about the games functionality to try and sell a design nobody was asking for, liked, or wanted.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    > @PrincessVee said:

>
    >
    > Luth is the sweetest and she's not angry:)
    > She just has a different opinion from you, guys:)

Well she has played TS4 for a couple of years now so her opinion must be valid ;) (that was actually a joke against myself there)

Now I actually had to go back to the first page as I had almost forgotten what this thread was about but I have noticed an increase in 'discussion' related to this since the mobile game has been announced.

Personally, from a critic's point of view I do not see any harm in a mobile game as long as the focus on PC games remains stronger ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    > @PrincessVee said:

>
    >

Well she has played TS4 for a couple of years now so her opinion must be valid ;) (that was actually a joke against myself there)

Now I actually had to go back to the first page as I had almost forgotten what this thread was about but I have noticed an increase in 'discussion' related to this since the mobile game has been announced.

Personally, from a critic's point of view I do not see any harm in a mobile game as long as the focus on PC games remains stronger ;)

I know people have real fears but no one got bent out shape because TS3 had a mobile game. I wonder why TS4 players are really so concerned about all this other than some assets from TS4 are in the mobile game? It's not like EA doesn't do this with their Sims' titles all the time, though they aren't calling this TS4 Mobile since it doesn't play like TS3 mobile did for TS3 players.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    johnjet wrote: »
    Do you think it might be time for EA to bite the bullet and start putting their games back onto Steam. Sims 3 is still very active there, so if TS4 got a Steam release, as many have vowed not to use Origin, the amount of players could potentially increase.

I actually launch my TS4 game through Steam and even stream the game through the overlay, so that way my friends can watch and we chat at the same time. Unlike Origin who passes of the streaming side to Twitch - which I hate with a passion.

Sims 3 does get some good player counts on steam, but nowhere near like what you'll see on origin
  • Options
    Lady SugarLady Sugar Posts: 201 Member
    edited May 2017
    "The sims 4 is doing GREAT!"
    Oh, yeah?
    giphy.gif

tumblr_o37da4s0cH1tqr095o1_500.gif
    "Here's my invitation baby. Hope it set us free, to know each other better. Put your love all over me"
    -"Invitation" Britney Spears.

R.I.P The Sims.
  • Options
    brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    sure it is....
  • Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    edited May 2017
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Options
    Lady SugarLady Sugar Posts: 201 Member
    edited May 2017
    I'd like to see NUMBERS, please.
    giphy.gif

tumblr_o37da4s0cH1tqr095o1_500.gif
    "Here's my invitation baby. Hope it set us free, to know each other better. Put your love all over me"
    -"Invitation" Britney Spears.

R.I.P The Sims.
  • Options
    Hadron1776Hadron1776 Posts: 330 Member
    edited May 2017
    There's a link to the actual report on the page drake linked to...
    The page begins with "EA just issued their report"; "just issued a report" is a link to said report I think
  • Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    Lady Sugar wrote: »
    I'd like to see NUMBERS, please.
    plum.gif

Feel free to read the report, thats the last receipt I'll provide since you can easily google anything else :)
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    edited May 2017
    I can say I'm including with the Battlefield 1! I got it with my Xbox One, but I wish it were on pc. I can't shoot worth a lick. rofl And I have increased my playing of Sims 4 with the addition of toddlers! I think adding toddlers was a huge push for many simmers to either start playing the game again, or even going out (and online) and buying the game.

I just hope that they ( the higher ups at EA) take note that players want more of what is missing from the Sims. And if those things are added back, giving us back the game that we want, sales will possibly continue to increase.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I understand, if people don't enjoy Sims 4. I really enjoy it, but I know others are disappointed. However, what I don't understand is why some people can't seem to acknowledge that Sims 4 is doing fine. (And if it wasn't, why would that matter to you).
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    edited May 2017
    I understand, if people don't enjoy Sims 4. I really enjoy it, but I know others are disappointed. However, what I don't understand is why some people can't seem to acknowledge that Sims 4 is doing fine. (And if it wasn't, why would that matter to you).

I agree.

Since tots came out I am once again a full on simmer. My time played in the past couple months has doubled what it was the previous 2 years. I'm glad the game is doing well or we wouldn't see more development.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited May 2017
    TS4 can't be more like TS2 than TS3. TS3 is more like TS2 because he was create on the base of TS2.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2017
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    THE SIMS 4 IS STILL A SUCCESS

But at what cost?

The damage TS4 has done to the reputation of the series will almost certainly mean that unless dramatic changes are made to bring TS5 in line with traditional sims games, it will barely get off the ground.

I find TS4 to be more in line with traditional sims games than TS3. I get not eveyone likes it, but maybe getting a bit dramatic there.

Which part, the lack of terrain tools, worthless personalities, massively simplified relationships or their near immortality?

Rotational play.

It takes far more than rotational play to make the game a Sims game.

So you know what? Maybe what makes a Sims game feel like a Sims game to me or @luimistelija isn't what makes it feel like one to you. And as for "worthless personalities" or "massively simplified relationships," that's subjective - we don't all use the same checklist for what makes a good Sims personality or desirable relationship. So is whether frequent random death is desirable.

At some point, you just might have to live with the fact that not everyone values what you value. We have different tastes and different opinions. And for some of us, our tastes and opinions align more with Sims 4 than with some other version of Sims. You don't have to like it, but it's reality.

So your idea to bring the Sims in line with the series is to throw out most of what made previous games popular?

That and the thinly (or not so thinly) implied assertion(s) that those of us who are not happy with that direction are not important. But just wait... the turning of the screw eventually turns on all.

You're not more important than people who are happy. Hope that clarifies things for you.
    No, it doesn't. The disdain towards people who try to express their disappointment is horrible here, absolutely horrible. I see people pleading to 'try to accept there are people who like this game', thing is, it's just those people who feel others don't grant them their preferences. Because, newsflash: nobody cares what you (plural) like or do not like. While complainers are complaining about the game, the people who like the game are constantly complaining about people and their opinions. Is it really that hard to accept you'll find negative feedback in Feedback? And appreciate that people feel that way and want to express it? Without telling them constantly that no, indeed, they are not important and that the fact they don't like the current developments in this game is tough luck? And before anyone says 'but I felt the same about Sims 3 and I didn't say anything about that': Oh? How come then I know every little complaint people have about Sims 3? Because I've been reading about it for years now, in much more exaggerated and over the top choice of words than most of us here ever use to express ourselves concerning Sims 4? How come there was no way for me to simply read about the upcoming Sims 4 (back in 2013) without having to read very strong negativity about Sims 3? Because those who didn't like Sims 3 found each other in that forum and felt the need to express their feelings (attached to what they hoped the new game would bring).

We are all equally important I'd say. And yet it's only the people who are satisfied with this game who feel the constant need to silence others. Not by presenting arguments that defend the game, but by simply telling them they have to shut up. I repeat: horrible.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    > @PrincessVee said:

>
    >

I know people have real fears but no one got bent out shape because TS3 had a mobile game. I wonder why TS4 players are really so concerned about all this other than some assets from TS4 are in the mobile game? It's not like EA doesn't do this with their Sims' titles all the time, though they aren't calling this TS4 Mobile since it doesn't play like TS3 mobile did for TS3 players.
    Yes, that I don't really get either to be honest ;) For me it rather feels they are replacing Freeplay.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited May 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    THE SIMS 4 IS STILL A SUCCESS

But at what cost?

The damage TS4 has done to the reputation of the series will almost certainly mean that unless dramatic changes are made to bring TS5 in line with traditional sims games, it will barely get off the ground.

I find TS4 to be more in line with traditional sims games than TS3. I get not eveyone likes it, but maybe getting a bit dramatic there.

Which part, the lack of terrain tools, worthless personalities, massively simplified relationships or their near immortality?

Rotational play.

It takes far more than rotational play to make the game a Sims game.

So you know what? Maybe what makes a Sims game feel like a Sims game to me or @luimistelija isn't what makes it feel like one to you. And as for "worthless personalities" or "massively simplified relationships," that's subjective - we don't all use the same checklist for what makes a good Sims personality or desirable relationship. So is whether frequent random death is desirable.

At some point, you just might have to live with the fact that not everyone values what you value. We have different tastes and different opinions. And for some of us, our tastes and opinions align more with Sims 4 than with some other version of Sims. You don't have to like it, but it's reality.

So your idea to bring the Sims in line with the series is to throw out most of what made previous games popular?

That and the thinly (or not so thinly) implied assertion(s) that those of us who are not happy with that direction are not important. But just wait... the turning of the screw eventually turns on all.

You're not more important than people who are happy. Hope that clarifies things for you.
    No, it doesn't. The disdain towards people who try to express their disappointment is horrible here, absolutely horrible. I see people pleading to 'try to accept there are people who like this game', thing is, it's just those people who feel others don't grant them their preferences. Because, newsflash: nobody cares what you (plural) like or do not like. While complainers are complaining about the game, the people who like the game are constantly complaining about people and their opinions. Is it really that hard to accept you'll find negative feedback in Feedback? And appreciate that people feel that way and want to express it? Without telling them constantly that no, indeed, they are not important and that the fact they don't like the current developments in this game is tough luck? And before anyone says 'but I felt the same about Sims 3 and I didn't say anything about that': Oh? How come then I know every little complaint people have about Sims 3? Because I've been reading about it for years now, in much more exaggerated and over the top choice of words than most of us here ever use to express ourselves concerning Sims 4? How come there was no way for me to simply read about the upcoming Sims 4 (back in 2013) without having to read very strong negativity about Sims 3? Because those who didn't like Sims 3 found each other in that forum and felt the need to express their feelings (attached to what they hoped the new game would bring).

We are all equally important I'd say. And yet it's only the people who are satisfied with this game who feel the constant need to silence others. Not by presenting arguments that defend the game, but by simply telling them they have to shut up. I repeat: horrible.

Who's telling you to shut up, like anywhere and everywhere? And why are you in this thread, which is about EA's statement to investors, asking people who prefer Sims 4 to defend themselves for preferring it? Please. Talk to me about "disdain" when you aren't playing your usual Make Sims 4 Players Explain Themselves To Me.

We can like what we like. You can like what you like. We don't owe you explanations in every thread. That's not telling you to shut up about what you like and what. It's just, please, give us a break on this already. It's been two and a half years of the same question, and often not in threads about which version is best.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    Because? Personalities? Memories? Turn offs and turn ons? Gameplay being more important that nice graphics and shadows falling through windows? Customizable worlds? I do think Sims 3 is different than 1 and 2 (I'm not very familiar with the first two versions but yeah, I can see that), but Sims 4 is even more far off. Which as such wouldn't be a problem. I am baffled though people seriously think this version is closer to the original because it has loading screens back and sims desperately trying to be as funny as the sims in the orignial games.

You never played 1 or 2, but you *think* that Sims 4 is "far off?" And you're baffled that the people who actually played those two versions (as opposed to you, who didn't) think it's the closest in spirit to those two?

What?
    EiFlric.png
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited May 2017
    ts1depot wrote: »
    Because? Personalities? Memories? Turn offs and turn ons? Gameplay being more important that nice graphics and shadows falling through windows? Customizable worlds? I do think Sims 3 is different than 1 and 2 (I'm not very familiar with the first two versions but yeah, I can see that), but Sims 4 is even more far off. Which as such wouldn't be a problem. I am baffled though people seriously think this version is closer to the original because it has loading screens back and sims desperately trying to be as funny as the sims in the orignial games.

You never played 1 or 2, but you *think* that Sims 4 is "far off?" And you're baffled that the people who actually played those two versions (as opposed to you, who didn't) think it's the closest in spirit to those two?

What?

I've been playing since Ts1 and I also think TS4 is far off (so was TS3 but in a different way). Yes, we have closed worlds and loading screens. Yes the game is trying (too hard in my opinion) to bring back some humor (TS3 was too serious sometimes and I agree).

But I'll tell you why this game is also far off from TS1 and TS2: the sims themselves. Their personalities are bland or non existent. Even sims in Ts1 had more personality than sims in TS4. I think the traits system could have worked (it definitely worked better in TS3 than in TS4), but I honestly think getting rid of personality points was a mistake. In my opinion Ts4 should have gone back to the personality points system and mix it with the traits system/turn nos and turns off/favorites etc . And make it work: allow us to create truly unique characters with deep personalities. That way, I would be able to tell one sim from the rest for something different than their hairstyle. However as things are, all of my sims are eternally happy airheaded creatures that don't even care if their mother dies as long as they don't have to witness it.

Example: the other day I was playing TS3 and I was surprised when my sim, who was a hopeless romantic, rolled a want to cook her new boyfriend's favorite meal. In Ts4 she would have probably wished for a hot tub or puppet theater
    Post edited by Pixelsimmer on
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member

What?

Well, I have played ALL versions of the Sims completely and I can say that in spirit TS4 isn't even close to TS1 or 2.
    raw
  • Options
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    My question is, if they are sucess, more sucessful than the sims 3 (profit wise) what was their reason to downsize the development team. It became a lot smaller from the sims 3 to sims 4.

Perhaps they're more profitable precisely because they downsized the team. Profit equals revenues minus costs. And developers are a cost. Less developers=less cost. Assuming the revenues generated by TS4 are more or less similar to those generated by TS3, then they're making the same amount of money while incurring less costs. So it's more profitable.

And it's safe to assume they are still making money off of the Sims 3 store. And possibly putting that money into other ventures (TSM). But that could count to their profits as well.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    Well, I have played ALL versions of the Sims completely and I can say that in spirit TS4 isn't even close to TS1 or 2.

Your opinion.

EiFlric.png
  • Options
    edited May 2017

What?

I've played 1, 2, and 3, along with 4, and for me, 4 has missed the mark. It's a watered down generic version of the Sims. A wannabe. Even if I had never played Sims 3 and only went from Sims 2 to Sims 4 I still would have been hugely disappointment. Now, say, if Sims 4 had been Sims 2 and come directly after The Sims, then of course, my socks would have been knocked off. It would have been the bees knees. But to have two strong games come before it, and it to be counted as a continuation in the series, it has left me severely underwhelmed.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top