Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 is still a success

Comments

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »
    THE SIMS 4 IS STILL A SUCCESS

But at what cost?

The damage TS4 has done to the reputation of the series will almost certainly mean that unless dramatic changes are made to bring TS5 in line with traditional sims games, it will barely get off the ground.

I find TS4 to be more in line with traditional sims games than TS3. I get not eveyone likes it, but maybe getting a bit dramatic there.
  • Options
    foussifoussi Posts: 642 Member
    johnjet wrote: »
    Do you think it might be time for EA to bite the bullet and start putting their games back onto Steam. Sims 3 is still very active there, so if TS4 got a Steam release, as many have vowed not to use Origin, the amount of players could potentially increase.

I actually launch my TS4 game through Steam and even stream the game through the overlay, so that way my friends can watch and we chat at the same time. Unlike Origin who passes of the streaming side to Twitch - which I hate with a passion.

Yes they really should bring it over to Steam in addition to Origin. It will definitely increase increase sales and even bring in new fans :)

I also still hope they make a console version. The Playstation 4 is a massive success and the Nintendo Switch is also pretty trendy, hope the new Mobile game is a sign of the franchise busting out again.

Uhh console version is a bad idea, we all remember what happened with the games after 1 week of playing *shudders*

But putting it on steam is really good.
  • Options
    KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    Glad to know, I truly like the game and I want it to last a long time.
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member

But at what cost?

The damage TS4 has done to the reputation of the series will almost certainly mean that unless dramatic changes are made to bring TS5 in line with traditional sims games, it will barely get off the ground.

I find TS4 to be more in line with traditional sims games than TS3. I get not eveyone likes it, but maybe getting a bit dramatic there.

Which part, the lack of terrain tools, worthless personalities, massively simplified relationships or their near immortality?
    raw
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member

But at what cost?

Which part, the lack of terrain tools, worthless personalities, massively simplified relationships or their near immortality?

Rotational play.
  • Options

But at what cost?

Rotational play.

It takes far more than rotational play to make the game a Sims game.
    raw
  • Options

But at what cost?

Rotational play.

So you know what? Maybe what makes a Sims game feel like a Sims game to me or @luimistelija isn't what makes it feel like one to you. And as for "worthless personalities" or "massively simplified relationships," that's subjective - we don't all use the same checklist for what makes a good Sims personality or desirable relationship. So is whether frequent random death is desirable.

At some point, you just might have to live with the fact that not everyone values what you value. We have different tastes and different opinions. And for some of us, our tastes and opinions align more with Sims 4 than with some other version of Sims. You don't have to like it, but it's reality.

So your idea to bring the Sims in line with the series is to throw out most of what made previous games popular?
    raw
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    You know what I think makes a good Sims game? One that is on a PC!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited May 2017

But at what cost?

Rotational play.

So you know what? Maybe what makes a Sims game feel like a Sims game to me or @luimistelija isn't what makes it feel like one to you. And as for "worthless personalities" or "massively simplified relationships," that's subjective - we don't all use the same checklist for what makes a good Sims personality or desirable relationship. So is whether frequent random death is desirable.

At some point, you just might have to live with the fact that not everyone values what you value. We have different tastes and different opinions. And for some of us, our tastes and opinions align more with Sims 4 than with some other version of Sims. You don't have to like it, but it's reality.

So your idea to bring the Sims in line with the series is to throw out most of what made previous games popular?

I want what I want; you want what you want. I don't have the data to determine what things were popular, but I've seen all sorts of people who like all sorts of things and all sorts of people who don't like those very same things. I suppose EA has surveys that suggest which things are actually more popular than others; web forum posting isn't a reliable way to measure that. I know that some things that other people say they like I like too (rotational play; being able to add lots to a world); I know that some things other people say they like I don't like (time jumping backward in rotational play; story progression; commuting in an open world). I have no issue with saying that I want the game to be like I want it to be, which this one is close to (it's not my version of perfect), even if there are people who don't like what I like - just like you have no issue with saying what you want the game to be like even if there are people who don't like what you like. One of us is not more right than the other. I just got lucky this version and it's closer to what I think my ideal Sims game is than previous versions were. That's all. I'm not trying to break the Sims franchise or make it unpopular.

Regardless of my point about the lack of real (as opposed to anecdotal) data available on which things make a version popular, as far as I can tell from what the head of EA says to investors in a place in which he's legally responsible for what he says, there are enough people who think that this version is okay as Sims goes that they're playing it and buying stuff. So maybe what's it's doing is popular and it's not just me who's okay with the direction it's going. For all we know it could even be that it's you who's off the mark but don't realize it.

Either way, it's fine for you to like what you like and it's fine for me to like what I like. We don't need to attack each other with accusations of wanting to ruin things for everyone else just because we don't want to give up something we (and others) like. Maybe we can just leave it to EA to figure out what's actually popular and just voice our own personal opinions and preferences instead of attacking each other.

(edited for one-coffee typing)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    You know what I think makes a good Sims game? One that is on a PC!

Cool! So you can play that. And people who like mobile games can play mobile games. It's actually awesome that there've been both for many years now and it's never come down to one or the other. People who like both can even play both, as I see many people on these forums do.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    I always knew that Sims 4 was doing really well, no matter the negativity spread on the forums. And I'm glad that Sims team could confirm it.
    $405 million a year is a whole lot of money.
    How's that for "no one buys this game, no one plays this game, boo-hoo"?

On the side note, I'm really looking forward to people understanding that treating Sims 4 like the black sheep of the family is pointless. Just because you don't like the game, it does not mean that it's worse than the previous titles. It just means you don't like the game.
    Like, I didn't like Sims 3. It didn't go well with me.
    But you don't see me going into the Sims 3 forums and bashing it.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    > @luthienrising said:
    > king_of_simcity7 wrote: »
    >
    > You know what I think makes a good Sims game? One that is on a PC!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Cool! So you can play that. And people who like mobile games can play mobile games. It's actually awesome that there've been both for many years now and it's never come down to one or the other. People who like both can even play both, as I see many people on these forums do.

Too be honest I cannot remember the last time I played a game on my phone. It must have been Borb Factory (Anyone remember that?) and of course 'Snake' which was so popular back in the day that I dare say that it got more plays than The Sims itself!

So yes, it is about time that The Sims decided to compete with the legendary snake! ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member

But at what cost?

Rotational play.

That and the thinly (or not so thinly) implied assertion(s) that those of us who are not happy with that direction are not important. But just wait... the turning of the screw eventually turns on all.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Bagoas77 wrote: »

But at what cost?

Rotational play.

That and the thinly (or not so thinly) implied assertion(s) that those of us who are not happy with that direction are not important. But just wait... the turning of the screw eventually turns on all.

Yes, curious how many people seem so fond of EA's myopic vision for the Sims, I wonder what they'll be saying what everything they like is thrown out too... I somehow doubt they'll be asserting that they themselves are not important.
    raw
  • Options

But at what cost?

Rotational play.

Yes, curious how many people seem so fond of EA's myopic vision for the Sims, I wonder what they'll be saying what everything they like is thrown out too... I somehow doubt they'll be asserting that they themselves are not important.

It's absolutely shocking that not everyone likes the same things.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member

But at what cost?

Rotational play.

Yes, exactly. And there's is a curiously seething anger underlying their "joy," too. I feel like Jane Goodall trying to understand their perplexing behavior at times. Fascinating.
  • Options

But at what cost?

Rotational play.

Yes, exactly. And there's is a curiously seething anger underlying their "joy," too. I feel like Jane Goodall trying to understand their perplexing behavior at times. Fascinating.

Fascinating how you assume that people who don't agree with you are angry. I'm certainly not! Though I'll confess to some amusement at the moment. Where are you seeing anger? I'd be interested to know. But you can just go ahead and talk to someone else about it.
  • Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member

But at what cost?

Rotational play.

Fascinating how you assume that people who don't agree with you are angry. I'm certainly not! Though I'll confess to some amusement at the moment. Where are you seeing anger? I'd be interested to know. But you can just go ahead and talk to someone else about it.

Luth is the sweetest and she's not angry:)
    She just has a different opinion from you, guys:)
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    33% increase year-over-year in Q4 is a virtually useless statistic without context. If Q4 from last year saw a 40% decrease in play then the 33% increase is a wash disguised as a positive.

Now I don't have any data for that, but it's worth noting.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited May 2017
    33% increase year-over-year in Q4 is a virtually useless statistic without context. If Q4 from last year saw a 40% decrease in play then the 33% increase is a wash disguised as a positive.

The context in 2016 (Q4 FY16)
    The Sims™ 4 player base grew by nearly two-thirds throughout the fiscal year, and The
    Sims FreePlay on mobile reached 200 million installs life-to-date.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

The context in 2016
    The Sims™ 4 player base grew by nearly two-thirds throughout the fiscal year, and The
    Sims FreePlay on mobile reached 200 million installs life-to-date.

Nope. Player base refers to the number of base units they have sold/activated.

ETA: So the 2/3 increase to the base represents an increase to the pool of potential customers. There are more players who theoretically will buy additional content.

Active players refers to players actively playing the game, not overall people who own the game.

ETA: Q4 saw a monthly increase of active players month over month. Toddlers released in January, as did the Vampire GP, there was also a bowling SP. Compared to Q4 last year there was a lot more going on
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited May 2017
    @drake_mccarty

I found nothing about it in the transcript.

Sure it's purely subjective but it remains positive because it proves TS4 feels better than before.

• Options
    @drake_mccarty

I found nothing about it in the transcript.

Sure it's purely subjective but it remains positive because it proves TS4 feels better than before.

I did state that it was only worth noting, as there isn't any additional 'active players' data from EA to compare it to.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top