Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Real Time suggests it's a promotion tool for The Sims 4

2...Next

Comments

• nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    *sniffles* and I was waiting patiently for TS5.
  • PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    I really hope you're right. However, it could go either way.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    edited May 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Pegasys wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Okay, so.

Lots of people are stating that the "real-time" aspect ruins this game, and that it should be in Sim-time.
    Had the game launched in Sim-time though I would have been extremely worried, because it could have easily have replaced the PC line-up.

The fact it's in real-time, and so closely follows The Sims 4, it ends up being a tease.

From players who have played, there's ONE home lot, and 3 districts. And it pretty much uses The Sims 4 gameplay for all of this.

I can imagine the App will be filled with references to The Sims 4, and that this game will pretty much be used by EA to be an access point to The Sims, and then move them over to The Sims 4.

A lot of people are saying it's "lazy" that they are just carrying over The Sims 4, stripped it down, and reselling it. But they aren't reselling The Sims 4.
    They're selling a free-entry version, that get people used to it. Then if they like it, I can guarantee that they won't keep playing that, but will move over to The Sims 4.

Freeplay failed to do that, because it was so different to The Sims 3. But this is basically a very limited version of The Sims 4, which will entice players to buy The Sims 4, and to get the full experience.

If the Sims Mobile was a completely different game, then it could be a Freeplay replacement. But there is, at least to me, a very specific reason why they decided to make it look so similar to 4, while holding back the experience.

Sigh. The endless need to prove something. No, those who don't play The Sims 4 will not be inspired to by The Sims 4 series for pc. Those who like phone games and they are a very different market from either you or I, even though many float between these sort of games, they will stick with the app. Totally different market and they know it. It's a different type player and they are rarely coaxed away from their apps.

If this is true, then why is the mobile app a threat to the PC game? Different markets.
    If it is not true, then the mobile app will potentially bring more people to the PC game.

Where is the evidence that all the energy, resources, and development will dry up for the PC game? I have not seen one bit of evidence.

Two trains of thoughts on this. One, TS4 is ending seems to be haunting us all today because it sure seems like a lot of familiar stuff happening around here today. The condensing of the forums (though they are easier to navigate to make room for the new game) hello 2013 on TS3 site. And the fact they took away lead developers to go work on mobile game. Hello 2013 on TS3 site when lead developers left TS3 to work on TS4.

EA wants everything mobile and be mobile king of the world, it's in their business model. So, yeah it feels like they are plowing on in that direction. Maxis merged with Mobile two years ago...not EA but Maxis...so, yeah, seems like TS4 is winding down and if EA might (I said might) not consider a new TS5 for pc if they go full mobile on Maxis.

TS4 is not ending.

Eco Living Stuff is coming out this time next year. That means we have at least one year's worth of content for TS4 left, if not more.

As for "taking away lead developers", they took the lead animator (ie not the only animator, and certainly not the one that did all the grunt work) and a producer, ie a glorified accountant.
    wJbomAo.png
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    That's a more optimistic perspective, but the fact a Twitter guru actually said the team of Sims Mobile was roughly the same size of Sims 4's team is certainly alarming.

This means either Sims 4 is not getting enough development support, the mobile version is going to be bigger than you think, or both.

Or it means people are misinterpreting her tweet. Here is the question and answer :

She could be saying that the TS4 team is roughly the same size as it was before they moved people to the new team and hired some new people for the TS4 team. So basically that TS4 team now is roughly the same size it was in the past.
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    Pegasys wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Okay, so.

Lots of people are stating that the "real-time" aspect ruins this game, and that it should be in Sim-time.
    Had the game launched in Sim-time though I would have been extremely worried, because it could have easily have replaced the PC line-up.

The fact it's in real-time, and so closely follows The Sims 4, it ends up being a tease.

From players who have played, there's ONE home lot, and 3 districts. And it pretty much uses The Sims 4 gameplay for all of this.

I can imagine the App will be filled with references to The Sims 4, and that this game will pretty much be used by EA to be an access point to The Sims, and then move them over to The Sims 4.

A lot of people are saying it's "lazy" that they are just carrying over The Sims 4, stripped it down, and reselling it. But they aren't reselling The Sims 4.
    They're selling a free-entry version, that get people used to it. Then if they like it, I can guarantee that they won't keep playing that, but will move over to The Sims 4.

Freeplay failed to do that, because it was so different to The Sims 3. But this is basically a very limited version of The Sims 4, which will entice players to buy The Sims 4, and to get the full experience.

If the Sims Mobile was a completely different game, then it could be a Freeplay replacement. But there is, at least to me, a very specific reason why they decided to make it look so similar to 4, while holding back the experience.

Sigh. The endless need to prove something. No, those who don't play The Sims 4 will not be inspired to by The Sims 4 series for pc. Those who like phone games and they are a very different market from either you or I, even though many float between these sort of games, they will stick with the app. Totally different market and they know it. It's a different type player and they are rarely coaxed away from their apps.

If this is true, then why is the mobile app a threat to the PC game? Different markets.
    If it is not true, then the mobile app will potentially bring more people to the PC game.

Where is the evidence that all the energy, resources, and development will dry up for the PC game? I have not seen one bit of evidence.

Two trains of thoughts on this. One, TS4 is ending seems to be haunting us all today because it sure seems like a lot of familiar stuff happening around here today. The condensing of the forums (though they are easier to navigate to make room for the new game) hello 2013 on TS3 site. And the fact they took away lead developers to go work on mobile game. Hello 2013 on TS3 site when lead developers left TS3 to work on TS4.

EA wants everything mobile and be mobile king of the world, it's in their business model. So, yeah it feels like they are plowing on in that direction. Maxis merged with Mobile two years ago...not EA but Maxis...so, yeah, seems like TS4 is winding down and if EA might (I said might) not consider a new TS5 for pc if they go full mobile on Maxis.

TS4 is not ending.

Eco Living Stuff is coming out this time next year. That means we have at least one year's worth of content for TS4 left, if not more.

As for "taking away lead developers", they took the lead animator (ie not the only animator, and certainly not the one that did all the grunt work) and a producer, ie a glorified accountant.

SimGuruRiley is not the lead animator, she is a lead animator, that's litterally her twitter description ('I am a lead animator for Maxis'). She was a senior animator who mentored other animators and attended meetings with the other Leads and Directors, that's how she described her job in a blog post back in 2014 (https://www.thesims.com/news/A-Look-Inside-A-Day-In-The-Life-of-The-Sims-4-Studio)
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

TS4 is not ending.

SimGuruRiley is not the lead animator, she is a lead animator, that's litterally her twitter description ('I am a lead animator for Maxis'). She was a senior animator who mentored other animators and attended meetings with the other Leads and Directors, that's how she described her job in a blog post back in 2014 (https://www.thesims.com/news/A-Look-Inside-A-Day-In-The-Life-of-The-Sims-4-Studio)

Cool.

My point was that her leaving doesn't affect The Sims 4 at all. Which is still true.
    wJbomAo.png
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @kwanzaabot
    Indeed, and considering the size of the team, they probably have people leaving every month anyway, we just don't hear about it when they are not SimGurus.